Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Coronals and kings

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
RodOdom Posted - 19 Feb 2006 : 03:58:58
What exactly are the coronals of the elves? Are they hereditary kings?
16   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
The Hooded One Posted - 27 Nov 2007 : 02:09:58
According to Ed, Hoondatha has it spot-on.
love,
THO
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 27 Nov 2007 : 00:34:39
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

The way I read it was that the Irithyls (for example) had essentially a "right of first refusal." They were raised to be the next Coronal, and expected by others to be it as well, but each one had the survive the Ruling Blade's claiming. It was only after that family was gone that it was thrown open to anyone who wished to try.

I think there was a "trust in certain families," for want of a better phrase, but that the elves, having been burned once by the Vyshaan, were going to make all of their leaders go through a test (like Lamruil, where the court thought he'd be killed for claiming the ruling moonblade), and not just the one who founded the dynasty.

I like that way of looking at the situation.
Hoondatha Posted - 27 Nov 2007 : 00:15:59
The way I read it was that the Irithyls (for example) had essentially a "right of first refusal." They were raised to be the next Coronal, and expected by others to be it as well, but each one had the survive the Ruling Blade's claiming. It was only after that family was gone that it was thrown open to anyone who wished to try.

I think there was a "trust in certain families," for want of a better phrase, but that the elves, having been burned once by the Vyshaan, were going to make all of their leaders go through a test (like Lamruil, where the court thought he'd be killed for claiming the ruling moonblade), and not just the one who founded the dynasty.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 26 Nov 2007 : 20:31:05
quote:
Originally posted by IngoDjan

So, why all the Coronals was relatives of the same family. Irithyl. This is hereditary, but there´s no more living Irithyls that can claim the throne.Aravae Irithyl, niece of Eltagrim (The last coronal), was the last of this family.

I've always taken that to be a possibly faulty factoid. If someone wants to have a still-living Irithyl in their game, I say they go for it.

Also, I've always thought that the sword simply chose Irithyls, and it wasn't a hereditary monarchy per se.
IngoDjan Posted - 26 Nov 2007 : 18:43:08
quote:
Originally posted by Feanor

quote:
Originally posted by RodOdom

No, because this is not a hereditary position. In Cormanthor, to become a coronal you needed to be accepted by the Ruler's Blade, one of the 3 elfblades, and you could ascend to this position even if you were not a relative of the previous coronal.

So, why all the Coronals was relatives of the same family. Irithyl. This is hereditary, but there´s no more living Irithyls that can claim the throne. Aravae Irithyl, niece of Eltagrim (The last coronal), was the last of this family.
So, the sword Arcor Kerym decides who will be the next Coronal through tests.
Kajehase Posted - 20 Feb 2006 : 05:46:49
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

For this tale, read the novel Evermeet: Island of the Elves. Not only does this novel relate the tale of the moonblades, it's a treasure trove of lore about the elves and their history.

And it manages to use the term "elf-chick" in a logical and completely justified way
George Krashos Posted - 20 Feb 2006 : 05:07:26
quote:
Originally posted by Feanor

quote:

No, because this is not a hereditary position. In Cormanthor, to become a coronal you needed to be accepted by the Ruler's Blade, one of the 3 elfblades, and you could ascend to this position even if you were not a relative of the previous coronal.

I'm not sure that this is correct. Taking Cormanthyr as an example, the Irithyl family were the hereditary rulers of the realm. It was only when their bloodline died out that alternative government was put in place and a Claiming-type Ceremony was organised. This appears to be the case with most other elven realms such as Ayvandaar (the Vyshaan) and the sea-elven realms detailed in Sea of Fallen Stars.

-- George Krashos
Wooly Rupert Posted - 20 Feb 2006 : 03:06:55
For this tale, read the novel Evermeet: Island of the Elves. Not only does this novel relate the tale of the moonblades, it's a treasure trove of lore about the elves and their history.
khorne Posted - 19 Feb 2006 : 21:20:33
quote:

Another question: how did Evermeet end up with a hereditary monarch?

By magical selection so to speak. The moonblades were created to find a king, and after many years Zaor got the jackpot.
RodOdom Posted - 19 Feb 2006 : 21:06:01
Another question: how did Evermeet end up with a hereditary monarch?
RodOdom Posted - 19 Feb 2006 : 17:45:11
Thanks !
Feanor Posted - 19 Feb 2006 : 17:35:34
quote:

The Sage Posted - 19 Feb 2006 : 15:20:45
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

'Tis one thing I've noticed about the Realms -- just about every ruler has some fancy title other than King or Lord or Mayor.

Of course, with elven lifespans being what they are... must other (demi) human realms will see the rise and fall of many kings, lords and mayors, in the time it takes for just one Coronal to rule an elven realm in FR .
Beirnadri Magranth Posted - 19 Feb 2006 : 14:26:07
yeah I like that whole netyarch thing in narfell is it? and thay?
Wooly Rupert Posted - 19 Feb 2006 : 14:13:42
'Tis one thing I've noticed about the Realms -- just about every ruler has some fancy title other than King or Lord or Mayor.
TymoraChosen Posted - 19 Feb 2006 : 09:57:47
Coronals are like monarches ruling their own kingdoms or states. It is more likely that they are patriaches that came from the ruling House that holds absolute control over the kingdom.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000