Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 If you could have one book besides...

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Crennen FaerieBane Posted - 13 Nov 2005 : 21:29:18
The FRCS, Races of Faerun, Faiths & Pantheons, and Magic of Faerun - which would you want to have to run a spur of the moment game?

I guess this is also asking which you think is the most useful in a pinch.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Jorkens Posted - 22 Aug 2006 : 12:19:43
Its between Serpent kingdoms, Power of Faerun and Lost Empires of Faerun. My gut says Serpent Kingdoms so I will go with that.
Kiaransalyn Posted - 22 Aug 2006 : 11:50:37
Unapproachable East got my vote because each of the lands detailed give rise to a host of different adventures.
Zimme Posted - 22 Aug 2006 : 11:03:27
quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch

Who needs another book to adventure in the Realms! Really, all the region specific books are just extra cream to the pie!

A great shoutout to you Ergdusch, your optimism is inspiring!
Ergdusch Posted - 18 Aug 2006 : 13:14:54
Who needs another book to adventure in the Realms! Really, all the region specific books are just extra cream to the pie!
Corran Horn Posted - 18 Aug 2006 : 12:03:13
Hard choice... Lost Empires of Faerun, Lords of Darkness or Silver Marches... I chose Lost
Empires of Faerun. Sourcebook full of... everything? Yeah!
Lysan Lurraxol Posted - 18 Aug 2006 : 10:28:26
I'd also have to say Lords of Darkness, despite being softcover and therefore often crushed by the hardcovers, and on one unfortunate occasion, a cat, Lords of Darkness has the most lore that can be applied to most games (Need a Villain? Pop right over to Page 143, LoD, First Exit 56, on the M56).
Its the only book I read cover to cover.
Zimme Posted - 18 Aug 2006 : 10:16:11
well...in lords of darkness, a couple of evil groups are outlined. good for improvised gaming.
Dansan Posted - 21 Mar 2006 : 18:48:00
I'd have to say Lords of Darkness first, since I use that often in creating adventures, while Lost Empire of Faerun I'd like to have simply because of reading it. Functionality comes first though...
Vainelus Posted - 20 Mar 2006 : 04:15:33
Lost Empires of Faerun got my vote, since I purchased the book I have used it in every campaign I have ran. Then again that is only two campaigns. Also I feel that FRCS provides enough lore to run a campaign in either the North, or the Dalelands and LEoF is a good supplement for nearly any campaign.
Mr. Wilson Posted - 11 Mar 2006 : 11:13:53
I went with LEoF because the Fluff to Crunch ratio is perfect for me, and allows for campaigns to be set up all over the map.

I was sorely tempted to choose a regional book as a campaign setting, but LEoF is simply stunning.
Volo Posted - 11 Mar 2006 : 02:05:34
Unfortunately you haven't listed the book I'd need, but that's because it's 2nd ed. Sea of Fallen Stars. I'm running a campaign in Seros, and you can't really run a campaign there without it.
Alisttair Posted - 10 Mar 2006 : 13:40:45
I voted for Waterdeep because it seems like every campaign i'm in (wether as DM or Player), I end up going there so it's good to have the material handy at all times :)
The Cardinal Posted - 06 Dec 2005 : 04:06:55
We'd have to say Lost Empires, simply because History is nearly as important on what is. Plus to find away to exploit loose ends (real or imagined) always sends us into a fit of gibbering Giggles
scererar Posted - 06 Dec 2005 : 03:48:50
I would have to say waterdeep. You can do almost any kind of roleplaying adventure, around, and under the city of splendors.
Mystery_Man Posted - 02 Dec 2005 : 13:12:26
Toss up between Lost Empires and Waterdeep. Waterdeep is..well, Waterdeep and Lost Empires is great for history and history is very important in a campaign.
Lucius Posted - 02 Dec 2005 : 13:05:24
I'd have to say The Silver Marches too. There's just a certain magic there. Besides, I don't have the Waterdeep book, so couldn't pick that, but I'm guessing it would be a very close second, with all I've read about the place.
jebeddo Posted - 02 Dec 2005 : 05:50:32
None other than the greatest city in all of the Realms (subject to personal opinion ), of course, Waterdeep!
Snotlord Posted - 28 Nov 2005 : 20:54:07
Lords of Darkness is great for the very reasons you state. You *must* get this book!

Any good regional sourcebook is great if you happen to play in that region. For every other region, of if you play in several regions, go with LoD.
Reefy Posted - 25 Nov 2005 : 10:59:16
Lost Empires of Faerūn because it is so versatile and covers many areas. If I happened to be a player in said game, I'd hope my DM picked City Of Splendours because I've long wanted to be involved in a really good campaign in Waterdeep.
Mumadar Ibn Huzal Posted - 23 Nov 2005 : 18:23:59
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

Well met

Hmmm, a difficult choice indeed. Whilst Waterdeep constantly astounds me every time I delve into it's lore, and despite my love for the Silver Marches... I have chosen Lost Empires of Faerūn. An amazing tome which I often delve into, and from which I have learnt the most.

More or less my thoughts as well. LEoF is for me the most frequently used tome and one I would like to have beside me if I'd have to run a 'spur of the moment' game. I can come up with the 'present' more or less 'on the fly' but to give it a believable- and Faerūnian touch a reference from the past ages of the Realms is indispensable.
ShadowJack Posted - 23 Nov 2005 : 17:21:14
I would have to say Silver Marches. I love the setting and it is where my current campaign is based. That LEoF would be a very close second. I love all the possible storylines and adventure hooks...
Vangelor Posted - 23 Nov 2005 : 06:36:12
My vote goes to Lost Empires because it is not region-specific, alignment-specific or what have you. It is chock full of juicy nuggets that can inspire a pick-it-up-and-run campaign anywhere in the Realms.
Chosen of Moradin Posted - 16 Nov 2005 : 11:25:23
I voted in the Lords of Darkness, that give me a good hand if I need to put the players in the highlight with some evil guys...

But Waterdeep and Lost Empires of Faerūn really tempted me
coach Posted - 16 Nov 2005 : 05:29:11
Yes, most definitely a 3.5 Cold Lands/Bloodstone sourcebook

and Old Empires is my second choice too
sleyvas Posted - 15 Nov 2005 : 21:39:35
For me, definitely Unapproachable East. Now if only they had a supplement updating the Old Empires and the Bloodstone Lands.
hooper101 Posted - 15 Nov 2005 : 18:14:01
Lords of Darkness, need stats for a bad guy? Need sneaky plots? I got'em
hammer of Moradin Posted - 15 Nov 2005 : 17:28:24
I picked Silver Marches, because that's where I base all my dwarven campaigns!
If I had to pick a second, it would be LEoF since there is a lot of good dwarven lore in there.
Dwarves, of course, are a recurring theme here.
Shadovar Posted - 15 Nov 2005 : 10:15:16
I prefer LEoF for it is quite rich in the lore and history of the late empires of Faerun, and offers good places to explore, loot, fight, and tour for sightseeing. Second to it would be Waterdeep, a city with a number of good places to fight.
Xysma Posted - 14 Nov 2005 : 14:52:38
I love Waterdeep, but I chose Lords of Darkness, because it's an excellent resource for a DM in a hurry to get some bad guys organized...
Khaa Posted - 14 Nov 2005 : 13:12:53
I dont need no stinkin' book!

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000