Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Moonwells

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Arion Elenim Posted - 03 Feb 2003 : 16:04:12
Okay, I have read MOST of the canon on moonwells, but I still don't quite understand what happened to them...

Are there any left?

Were they just simply a manifestation of Chauntea's more primal form?

Does Bane still have control of one of them?

Aren't they all in the Moonshea Isles?

HELP!
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Fillow Posted - 25 May 2008 : 19:58:19
The Sage wrote we have wandered a little off-topic. Let's return to the cover discussion in another topic, a special one ?
Jorkens Posted - 19 May 2008 : 07:59:13
I must admit I am having a bit of trouble with the "To feminine colours" idea. Care to elaborate?

I don't think I have had that much problem with the covers of any book I own, except maybe one non-Realmsian cover. The Moonshae books are more or less soap-opera, so the covers are fitting.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 19 May 2008 : 02:08:21
quote:
Originally posted by Fillow
Rina, you couldn't understand it !

Well, I suppose not.
monknwildcat Posted - 18 May 2008 : 02:03:26
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Folks, we seem to have wandered a little off-topic. Let's return to the discussion of Moonwells, eh?

Word.

Closer to the topic, I finished the Druidholm trilogy, and I appreciate all y'alls encouragement to give them a read...previous trilogy and cover art withstanding. The Druidholm trilogy far exceeded my expectations.

Back on topic, there are some active moonwells at the end of the books: Myrloch Vale on Gwynneth, Fairheight on Alaron, and one guarded by some firbolgs in one of the northern islands. I never totally figured out which island that well was on (i.e. if it was Dragonshome or Gotha's Island). It seems logical that there'd be wells on the other two large islands (Moray and Snowdon, if not also Norland).
The Sage Posted - 18 May 2008 : 01:12:17
Folks, we seem to have wandered a little off-topic. Let's return to the discussion of Moonwells, eh?
monknwildcat Posted - 17 May 2008 : 20:46:45
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

At least we never had Fabio in a 'puffy shirt' on one of the covers.

LOL. A short, dark Fabio's pretty close to how I envisioned Fyodor of the Shadows and Starlight novels, Markustay.
Markustay Posted - 17 May 2008 : 20:31:49
At least we never had Fabio in a 'puffy shirt' on one of the covers.
Fillow Posted - 17 May 2008 : 17:54:44
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

This conversation about "feminine covers" is making me laugh.

quote:
Originally posted by monknwildcat

Fiilow, thank you! That made me laugh.

Rinonalyrna & monknwildcat, I'm happy for having made you laugh !

quote:

Feminine artwork seemed to only affect me when I was reading Evermeet: IotE. I own the paperback, and it has an imperious elf-chik (who looks something like the goth lab-rat girl in the Tv show NCIS) with an elf-dude (who looks a bit like Christian Bale) climbing the ridge to be with her. She's pointing, with a bossy look, and he appears amused.
You speaks about Pauley Perette ? I never thought about it !
I have to admit I jumped this novel because I do not really love elves ! So, I never really had looks at the cover ! The book has been staying on the shelf since I bought it !
But you seem to be right about the male feelings !

quote:

It's the *only* FR book I've had strangers (all women) approach me and ask what I'm reading (on Chicago's mass transit, at work etc.). I grew accustomed to explaining that I was reading about an elf-queen, but it took a few times before I got it out without blushing.

Rina, you couldn't understand it !
I understand your attitude monknwildcat. Really ! Only men know this feeling.
But it seems to be a good way to meet women... thanks a lot monknwildcat !
Markustay Posted - 16 May 2008 : 15:57:13
quote:

Markustay, I'm impressed. That cosmology's incredibly well thought-out, and it makes sense.

I look forward to reading more about wells in whatever article you scribe!

Thank You

But as I said, Gray Richardson really deserves top-billing for those concepts, because most of that came out of conversations I've had with him.

We diverge a bit when expanded beyond Abeir-Toril though - While I have set-up each level of 'Godhood' to have avatars of the next level down, aside form Chauntea, I don't believe he has gone further with the notion of 'local managers'. He also believes Chauntea to be the represtation of the physical' aspect of Realmspace, and that she has pieces of herself for each other planet as well, including a Illithid one! I prefer to give Ao the top-billing in that regard, elst Ao and Chauntea start to sound like equals.

I think to create a Chosen (and I could be way off here), a god must give a piece of itself (a Divine Rank) to create said Chosen. Like Attribute damage among mortals, I believe Gods eventually 'heal' this missing power level. Anyway, to create an Avatar, the god must do the exact same thing.

Now, given that, how hard is it to figure out that Chosen are merely self-willed Avatars? Since I assume most Avatars will gain a level of independence if seperated too long from the 'owner', this would be a great way for a god to quickly generate self-willed Avatars, rather then waiting around the millenia or two it might take for one to develop it's own personality. A mortal who has it's 'Avatarness/Chosenhood stripped from it doesn't neccessarily die automatically, but may do so from the shock of losing that tiny sliver of Godhood.

Strangely enough, this way of looking at how the inner machinery of Divinty really works fits into 4e's way of handling the Gods perfectly, and Gray and I were talking about this stuff over a year ago, before we even knew about 4e. Every god has someone they must answer to, and lesser gods/demi-gods need more 'hand-holding' then higher powers. FR had this set-up all along, it was just never really focused upon. If you look through the 2e FR god-books, you will see plenty of illustrations of groups of gods seperated by areas of interest.

Not that I'm a great supporter of 4e, but that aspect of the cosmology fits FR rather well, IMHO. Gods always had their 'clicks' - it's just been formalized in the rules now.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 16 May 2008 : 15:24:13
quote:

You're absolutely right!

And I'm fairly confident that there was no scene in the novels to source that art. Unless you can think of one...?

I can't.

A lot of books have covers that show scenes that never took place within the text.
Jorkens Posted - 16 May 2008 : 11:11:11
quote:

Jorkens, you're right about the feel of some of the earlier novels. I enjoyed the earlier Harpers. Nice stand-alone novels.

The Parched Sea definitely had a lower-magic feel. Soldiers of Ice, too. And the Moonshaes, outside Myrloch Vale, seem practically magic-barren.

When I check the FAQ, it seems people really wanted to know how Greenwood originally envisioned the islands, almost as if they might, in their campaigns, "correct" the Moonshaes to align with Ed's vision.

Are your campaigns based in the Moonshaes? Since you enjoyed the portayal of the Moonshaes in the novels, do you tweak the rest of the Realms to match the feel of the Moonshaes?

And, to bring us back to the opening post, if you campaign in the Moonshaes, do you use moonwells?

No, I usually stay in the Heartlands. But for some strange reason no one plays mages in my campaigns and armour heavier than chain only rarely. fighters and rogues (including rangers and bards) have been teh norm. That and I came to AD&D from the older editions of the Swedish Drakar och Demoner system(which I still prefer) This has led to the campaign getting more of a Dark Age feel.

You must remember that in the early 90's internet an option (at least not for me, who am not exactly what one would call progressive when it comes to technology) and gaming products was bought at a random, so things were developed as needed and modified as new products came into play. That could include non-Realmsian products such as Karameikos from the D&D line, it could be the influence of The Complete book of Humanoids on the campaign and etc.

The few novels I bought in the early years (Moonshae and Harper series, Spellfire and Shadowdale. In adition to a few Dragonlance books) did little to change the early medieval feel. In the end I prefer my own version before the official version and have stayed with it.
monknwildcat Posted - 16 May 2008 : 00:30:38
Markustay, I'm impressed. That cosmology's incredibly well thought-out, and it makes sense.

I look forward to reading more about wells in whatever article you scribe!
monknwildcat Posted - 16 May 2008 : 00:17:10
quote:

quote:

::bowing with a flourish:: We exist but to provide amusement, RF.

Any ops on cover art you wish to share, RF?

Yup--I always thought the original cover of Elfsong (the one where Danilo is clenching his teeth as he grabs an elf's shoulder) to be hilarious. The elf looks like a vampire.

You're absolutely right!

And I'm fairly confident that there was no scene in the novels to source that art. Unless you can think of one...?
Markustay Posted - 14 May 2008 : 22:27:45
I just read through this thread, and I don't recall seeing this mentioned, but if it was, please forgive me in advance -

Bear in mind, that the Moonshae novels were NOT written to take place in the Realms, they were written to be their own setting published by TSR Europe (Britain?). When THAT setting was cancelled, Ed's Moonshaes were changed to match the maps in the novels, and the novels were released as part of the Forgotten Realms... even though they were NOT written for it.

Thats how we ended up with two earth goddesses for one planet.

Now, I'm surprised Gray Richardson hasn't commented here, because I've had a few discussions with him about Chauntea, the Earthmother, and the cosmos in general, and he has some pretty good ideas about how all of the lore from the novels can be rectified.

Chauntea is the embodiment of Abeir-Toril, much the same way Ao embodies Realmspace. Just as Ao has 'broken off' little pieces of himself to micro-manage the affairs of Realmspace (I like to think of the gods as Ao's self-willed Avatars - not that they know that), Chauntea has gone and broken-off pieces of herself to manage the individual lands of Toril. Every MAJOR body of land, or continent (sometimes several occupy one landmass) has it's own piece of Chauntea which manages it for her. These 'Avatars' are self-willed, and after many milenium have established their own personalities, like Maztica in the west, and Chantee in Kara-Tur. The Earthmother is just the Goddess responsible for the Moonshaes, and possibly some of the other islands in the Sea of Swords (I have a theory about the Moonshaes having been a MUCH larger landmass, most of which sunk, and now only the mountaintops appear above the water).

What that means is that when Chauntea's local 'manager' was outed in the Moonshaes, she stepped in for awhile until that avatar was able to regain some power, or she herself gave it a 'boost'. Basically, she was filling in for the Earthmother until she got back from her 'sabatical'. This does NOT have to contradict anything Brian J. has come up with, because these 'Avatars' don't have to actually be pieces of the goddess - some of them may be elevated 'Chosen' from times primordial... like when the Fey ruled the planet.

This also fits in very well with those of you wishing to move onto the 4e rules/world - in that setting, there are only a few 'High Gods', and all the others answer to them. Chauntea's 'grouping' would contain all of the 'Earth gods', while Sylvanus' would contain all the nature deities (a subtle diference).

BTW, I never connected the Pools of Radiance with the Moonwells before, but you guys have just given me an inspiration for a new article.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 09 May 2008 : 22:49:55
quote:

Yup--I always thought the original cover of Elfsong (the one where Danilo is clenching his teeth as he grabs an elf's shoulder) to be hilarious. The elf looks like a vampire.
monknwildcat Posted - 09 May 2008 : 18:16:45
quote:

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 09 May 2008 : 14:29:29
The Sage Posted - 08 May 2008 : 01:17:31
quote:
Originally posted by Fillow

You like the covers of the druidhome trilogy ?
Not really. I'm not much of a fan of Clyde Caldwell's work. I'm more of a Elmore/Easley kinda guy!
monknwildcat Posted - 08 May 2008 : 01:10:15
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Gods, if I judged books by their cover, I'd've not bought much of anything FR for the last 5 years! I do not like the current art direction...

I agree. I feel that way when I pick up a Marvel Comic. Much more graphic novel than comic it seems.

In FR, I admit to liking the Elfsong rerelease with Daniel Horne's cover art. I expect it was partially the colors and partially the better portayal of Wyn-Danilo (I never quite knew which one was the blond). Other Danilo covers disturb me.
monknwildcat Posted - 08 May 2008 : 01:01:50
Fiilow, thank you! That made me laugh.

I prefer the art of the Druidholm to the art of the Moonshae, but the art still wasn't enough to have me read them when I got them years ago.

Feminine artwork seemed to only affect me when I was reading Evermeet: IotE. I own the paperback, and it has an imperious elf-chik (who looks something like the goth lab-rat girl in the Tv show NCIS) with an elf-dude (who looks a bit like Christian Bale) climbing the ridge to be with her. She's pointing, with a bossy look, and he appears amused.

It's the *only* FR book I've had strangers (all women) approach me and ask what I'm reading (on Chicago's mass transit, at work etc.). I grew accustomed to explaining that I was reading about an elf-queen, but it took a few times before I got it out without blushing.
Fillow Posted - 07 May 2008 : 20:26:34
quote:

quote:

Thanks, Wooly, for the encouragement to begin Druidholm. IIRC, the cover art on the Druidholm books looked more interesting!!
So, I take it you don't put much stock in the "never judge a book by it's cover" theory?

You like the covers of the druidhome trilogy ? When I saw it for the first time to the libray, I thought the dealer mistook and put sentimental novels on the Fantasy shelf !
Really !
I was near to ignore this books only because of the covers !
But I loved the first Moonshae trilogy so very much...

To say everything, when I read these novels (as I mostly read in the subway (underground ?) -more than one hour and half per day !-), I covered the books with grey paper !
Just to avoid that other people think I read sentimental novels, women books !!
YES !!!! it's true ! I hate these covers ! IMOHO, too feminine colors
monknwildcat Posted - 07 May 2008 : 17:58:09
Jorkens, you're right about the feel of some of the earlier novels. I enjoyed the earlier Harpers. Nice stand-alone novels.

The Parched Sea definitely had a lower-magic feel. Soldiers of Ice, too. And the Moonshaes, outside Myrloch Vale, seem practically magic-barren.

When I check the FAQ, it seems people really wanted to know how Greenwood originally envisioned the islands, almost as if they might, in their campaigns, "correct" the Moonshaes to align with Ed's vision.

Are your campaigns based in the Moonshaes? Since you enjoyed the portayal of the Moonshaes in the novels, do you tweak the rest of the Realms to match the feel of the Moonshaes?

And, to bring us back to the opening post, if you campaign in the Moonshaes, do you use moonwells?
Jorkens Posted - 02 May 2008 : 16:19:38
quote:

Thanks, Bakra, for explaining the pools; I also knew nothing about them.

I feel badly for Eldath, though, all these pools-of-other-goddesses, and her portfolio already rather limiting. She always gets the shaft.

Thanks, Jorkens! If the first trilogy was not FR, I may have enjoyed it more. It did well at sticking to celtic mythology--even mainstream fantasy. Yet I read it after reading some RAS and EC and found the tone unrecognizable. I'll finish Darkwalker.

Thanks, Wooly, for the encouragement to begin Druidholm. IIRC, the cover art on the Druidholm books looked more interesting!!

I read one Pool book and I remember it in the same way as I do One Around the Realms.

The problem for me is the opposite. As I read the Moonshae books and a few of the early Harper books and Spellfire early on these were the books that influenced the tone of "my" Realms the most. I still end up with a more primitive Dark age feel in my home games.
Jorkens Posted - 02 May 2008 : 16:14:16
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Gods, if I judged books by their cover, I'd've not bought much of anything FR for the last 5 years! I do not like the current art direction...

Unfortunately it has done exactly that for me. In several cases the covers have been the straw that broke the camels back for me. Except for Ed and Blackstaff it has been years since I bought a Realms book.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 02 May 2008 : 03:50:40
monknwildcat Posted - 02 May 2008 : 02:31:13
quote:

quote:

So, I take it you don't put much stock in the "never judge a book by it's cover" theory?

I admit to judging books by their covers--although I make exceptions.
The Sage Posted - 01 May 2008 : 01:16:34
quote:

Hawkins Posted - 30 Apr 2008 : 19:16:39
I enjoyed both trilogies as well!
monknwildcat Posted - 30 Apr 2008 : 18:20:03
Thanks, Bakra, for explaining the pools; I also knew nothing about them.

I feel badly for Eldath, though, all these pools-of-other-goddesses, and her portfolio already rather limiting. She always gets the shaft.

Thanks, Jorkens! If the first trilogy was not FR, I may have enjoyed it more. It did well at sticking to celtic mythology--even mainstream fantasy. Yet I read it after reading some RAS and EC and found the tone unrecognizable. I'll finish Darkwalker.

Bakra Posted - 30 Apr 2008 : 13:16:04
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

So the Pool of Radiance is a what?

A magical pool of water that was, at one time, the power source of Tyranthraxus. You might want to read the Pool of Radiance novel and the other two books -- Pools of Darkness and Pool of Twilight -- for more on those events. As well as the Heroes' and Villains' Lorebooks [the second of which is available as a free PDF download at WotC]. The Moonsea tome also has a few tidbits as well.

I have the Villains Lorebook...and I have the Moonsea book too. I'm just not able to "get" what the Pools original intentions were I guess...call me an idiot and teach me please.

In the original novel, Pool of Radiance, the pool was a sacred body of water to the local worshipers of Selune. This body of holy clear water was corrupted and the magical properties were never detailed in the novel. In the rpg Forgotten Realms material this bit of lore is ignored. They also ignore a little thing like the city being restored fully, protected by Tyr and has a mage school. WotC instead turned the Pool of Radiance(s) into a place where the Weave confluences and forms a magical pool with varies powers. I think Magic of Faerun gives a better definition and Pool of Radiance: Attack on Myth Drannor list some powers of a corrupted pool. I think in the Realms the stories behind the Pool varies and all of them happen to be true. The Weave does pool in one spot forming a golden body of liquid and Selune does have sacred sites which are pure bodies of water in the shape of the moon, one for each phase of the moon. The one located beneath the ground in Phlan is waxingwaning crescent shape according to the map in FR Atlas.
Clear as mud eh?

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000