Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Meeting A D&D Icon

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Drakul Posted - 05 Oct 2023 : 16:11:13
I am back, everyone.

So. I met an individual that was iconic in helping D&D be what it is today. This meeting occurred during my vacation last year. This individual was an Editor for every module that Gary Gygax created, as Gygax is not known for his writing skills. The Editor in question is none other than Rose Estes.

Yes. You read that correctly.

How did I meet her you ask? Well, my sister has long been Rose's friend, as they don't live that far from each other, and we were invited out to lunch in Seal Rock, Rose's treat no less. Afterwards, we visited her shop and then I had an in-house signing in her home. I had brought with me several Drizzt Do'Urden comic books, as I was told that she helped Salvatore inspire the creation of Drizzt, and she happily signed them for me. To say that this was a true geek moment is an understatement.

https://www.facebook.com/heartofroseestes
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Wooly Rupert Posted - 21 Oct 2023 : 19:53:05
I read some of her Greyhawk and Endless Quests novels, back in the day. Endless Quests was my introduction to fantasy fiction.
Dalor Darden Posted - 21 Oct 2023 : 17:33:24
quote:
Originally posted by Drakul

I am back, everyone.

So. I met an individual that was iconic in helping D&D be what it is today. This meeting occurred during my vacation last year. This individual was an Editor for every module that Gary Gygax created, as Gygax is not known for his writing skills. The Editor in question is none other than Rose Estes.

Yes. You read that correctly.

How did I meet her you ask? Well, my sister has long been Rose's friend, as they don't live that far from each other, and we were invited out to lunch in Seal Rock, Rose's treat no less. Afterwards, we visited her shop and then I had an in-house signing in her home. I had brought with me several Drizzt Do'Urden comic books, as I was told that she helped Salvatore inspire the creation of Drizzt, and she happily signed them for me. To say that this was a true geek moment is an understatement.

https://www.facebook.com/heartofroseestes

That is a wonderful adventure!

I'm jealous!
DoveArrow Posted - 21 Oct 2023 : 15:17:52
I used to run RPGA games for Gen Con So Cal (may it rest in peace). One year, this guy came over and sat down at my table. I handed him the sign-in sheet. He wrote his name down and handed it back.

I laughed. "I'm guessing you're not that Andy Collins."

He blushed. "Uh... actually I am. I would rather nobody else knew that."

So yeah. I got to DM for one of the authors of the 3.5 and 4E Player's Handbook. That was such a thrill.
Drakul Posted - 12 Oct 2023 : 15:33:18
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

Small world.

I'm guessing that you and Rose don't really know each other that well, being coincidental acquaintances. And she may not even have much to say (or indeed, have much recollection) about some dusty old Gygax-era modules she briefly worked on so many decades ago.

But insights and commentary from people who actually wrote (or re-wrote?) the D&D/FR products we grew up reading are always precious.

Actually, she remembers everything she's done, despite the fact that she lost the ability to write fantasy due to an accident. Rose was also inducted into the Academy Of Adventure Gamimg Arts and Design Hall of Fame. Rose deserves to be recognized, no matter what others believe.
maransreth Posted - 06 Oct 2023 : 09:40:39
Plus the fact that she wrote a number of books in the Greyhawk universe.
Ayrik Posted - 05 Oct 2023 : 19:30:55
Small world.

I'm guessing that you and Rose don't really know each other that well, being coincidental acquaintances. And she may not even have much to say (or indeed, have much recollection) about some dusty old Gygax-era modules she briefly worked on so many decades ago.

But insights and commentary from people who actually wrote (or re-wrote?) the D&D/FR products we grew up reading are always precious.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000