Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Guidelines for the Geriatric Gamer (Longetivity)

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Chyron Posted - 14 May 2004 : 05:19:38
AKA where’s the longetivity?

I was looking for a Potion of Longetivity in my 3E books and noticed there was no entry for one (at least not in my DMs or Epic Rules books). Have these been done away with altogether in 3E? Does any mention of this potion appear in the 3.5 books, or perhaps in another manual?

The closest thing I could find was the Oil of Timelessness in the DM guide, which works great for dead things (I imagine that the occasional vain lich would be hard at work in creating them.) but I see no other magic geared at removing or reducing age?

Is there possibly a new spell that I overlooked that deals with "natural" age reduction?
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Wooly Rupert Posted - 17 May 2004 : 19:20:24
quote:
Originally posted by SoulLord

I dont remember acurately the effects of the potion besides increasing the years one would live what i do recall is that
one of the main ingredients of it was elven bones.

My elf didnt like at all the people who used,created,traded etc. such potions.

I don't recall reading anywhere the bit about elf bones being a component...

The potion of longevity reduced the drinker's age by 1d12 years. So if you had enough, you could stick around for quite some time, and never really hit the effects of old age.

But there was a catch: there was a cumulative 1% chance for every such potion consumed that it would backfire, and reverse the effects of all of the previously consumed ones. So if you've been chugging these things for a couple centuries, you could suddenly find yourself in some really bad shape, all in an instant.
SoulLord Posted - 17 May 2004 : 18:34:13
I dont remember acurately the effects of the potion besides increasing the years one would live what i do recall is that
one of the main ingredients of it was elven bones.

My elf didnt like at all the people who used,created,traded etc. such potions.

Sarelle Posted - 16 May 2004 : 17:01:26
Just look at the multi-million-dollar/pound/euro/yen industrybuilt around anti-wrinkle products, and then imagine they actually WORKED!
Sarta Posted - 16 May 2004 : 00:50:47
Very high (unless you have opened your shop in Evermeet). People are willing to part with a LOT of coin in order to suppress aging.

Sarta
Faraer Posted - 15 May 2004 : 22:10:15
What would its price be?
Israfel666 Posted - 15 May 2004 : 21:23:59
Fine, then; I just wanted to explain that a "Potion of Longevity", under 3E, would not be a flavour-only item.
Faraer Posted - 15 May 2004 : 17:57:56
I was thinking in terms of balancing spells and magic items and monster abilities. Yes, the age category rules are still there.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 15 May 2004 : 17:24:12
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

I don't blame you there. The unfortunate thing is, it's hard to get lists of such things these days.

Well, I've got all of the hardcovers from 1st and 2nd edition (except for the final reprints of the 2E PHB and DMG), so I've got all that info close at hand.
Israfel666 Posted - 15 May 2004 : 15:16:23
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

In 3Ethink, a character's age has no effect and does not exist in terms of game rules and (combat) balance.
Totally wrong. 3E has very strict rules about both cumulative age penalties and bonuses, and death by old age. See page 109 of the 3.5 PHB, or the "description" chapter of the 3.5 SRD.

Bookwyrm Posted - 15 May 2004 : 10:11:35
I don't blame you there. The unfortunate thing is, it's hard to get lists of such things these days.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 14 May 2004 : 16:33:38
I'd simply dust off the 2nd edition version and run with it. I don't like all of the changes made to magical items in 3e, so I prefer to ignore some of them in favor of the 2e version.
Chyron Posted - 14 May 2004 : 16:11:14
That's true Faraer. 3E has toned down the aging side effects of many spells, but I would think there are still quite a few mages and alchemists who want to extend their life, but don't have the grace of beign a Chosen or the single mindedness to want to become a lich.

There is the "wish" of course...but that could get tricky.

As for injecting blood, well I never liked needles heh heh...think I will stay away from that. Maybe some Miracle Cream or Oil of Olay
Faraer Posted - 14 May 2004 : 13:46:22
In 3Ethink, a character's age has no effect and does not exist in terms of game rules and (combat) balance. Thus the absence of longevity magics and ageing effects (as in, for instance, the haste spell, which changes from a tactic of last resort to a standard procedure, especially before its 3.5 revision).
Bookwyrm Posted - 14 May 2004 : 10:31:59
That's an interesting component. Especially considering that it's theorized that having a large, very fresh supply of oxigenated blood could stave off some aging effects . . . .

But before any of you think of turning vampire, I'll just point out that blood is destroyed by stomach acids (otherwise carnivores would get hives when eating raw meat from another species). So you'd need to inject fresh blood of a compatible type on a daily basis.

By the way, the first time the above effect was observed (that blood injected is not the same as injested) was when a natural philosopher interested in medicine tried curing a madman of his affliction by injecting lamb's blood. The theory was that the "inherant" gentle nature of the lamb would produce a calming effect, and the doctor figured it worked. The guy calmed down pretty quickly, after all. But of course, it probably had less to do with any "gentle nature" the madman got from the blood, and more to do with the fact that the constant vomiting meant he was loosing strength.

That, by the way, is the usual thing that happens with transfusion problems. And also why, if you're O-negative, the Red Cross likes to send you little notes begging for some blood -- Type-O blood, with an absent Rh-factor, can be given to anyone, so if there's an emergency, they don't have to test people before giving them blood as long as they have some O- on hand.
The Cardinal Posted - 14 May 2004 : 05:47:40
If thou art looking for such knowledge in the Wizards of the (Sword)Coast, tomes then We art afraid that such knowledge may be lost to the sands of time... (ie. 2E books only). Although we've found a delightful little spell in a third party book ( Encylopedia Arcane: Necromancy) The 'Longevity' spell, a handy thing that stops aging for a whole day and only requiring a pint of blood from a creature of the same race this is half the recipient's (usually the caster) age.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000