Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Hillsfar - Jewel of the Moonsea

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
The_Silversword Posted - 12 May 2020 : 18:53:09
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hillsfar-Jewel-Of-The-Moonsea-Digipak-Cd/274362734572?hash=item3fe14b17ec:g:uF4AAOSwd9VeuVH0

Anybody know anything about this? It has to be Realms Related, right? Hillsfar, Moonsea, can't just be a coincidence.
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Seravin Posted - 21 May 2020 : 09:21:34
I really like the synth! It takes me back to the C128 days and maybe my Sega Genesis. Thanks for finding Silversword. I can picture Maalthiir with a slight speech impediment.
The_Silversword Posted - 21 May 2020 : 08:13:58
I am most amused by the title of Track 1 "The Forest of Komanthor". I guess Cormanthor is trademarked and copyrighted so couldnt be used, or maybe thats just how Maalthiir pronounces it. "Damn those elves of Komanthor!"
The_Silversword Posted - 20 May 2020 : 07:21:47
Yah! Finally got it. Not quite what I was expecting, kinda figured thered be lutes and whatnot, but its all synth, still very atmospheric though, make some excellent gaming music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F85GGMqYUy4&t=1182s
The_Silversword Posted - 14 May 2020 : 13:02:53
I've only read the Avatar and Moonshae novels, and very little else, so I'll definitely have to check them out.

I'm hoping the music on the CD sounds similar to the music from those games.
Seravin Posted - 14 May 2020 : 10:03:07
quote:
Originally posted by The_Silversword

quote:
Originally posted by Seravin

The Moonsea, and the early gold box games that centered around it (Pool of Radiance, Hillsfar, Curse of the Azure Bonds) were quite inspirational for me as a kid in the late 80s. They peaked my imagination and continue to give me pleasurable memories into 2020. So I guess this band had someone in the same spot as me!

Pools of Radiance on the Commodore 64 was what got me into the Forgotten Realms and D&D in general. Played Hillsfar too and Curse of the Azure Bonds and Secret of the Silver Blades, unfortunately the conclusion, Pools of Darkness was never released on C64, not that I ever saw anyways, so I never got to play that one. As I recall it involved Bane sucking the town of Phlan down into his realm and it was up to the heroes to make it right. Sounds eerily similar to the current Descent into Avernus adventure.

Hah! You're not the first to make that claim about Descent into Avernus mirroring the plot of the Pools of Darkness game and novel. If you haven't read the Pools trilogy, it's quite fun and nostalgic for fans of the gold box games.

I played Secret of the Silver Blades and beat it (I think I recall a lich being the final boss with a bunch of Storm Giants); but I never played Pools of Darkness.

The theme music for those games on the C64/128 was epic.
The_Silversword Posted - 14 May 2020 : 07:40:10
quote:
Originally posted by Seravin

The Moonsea, and the early gold box games that centered around it (Pool of Radiance, Hillsfar, Curse of the Azure Bonds) were quite inspirational for me as a kid in the late 80s. They peaked my imagination and continue to give me pleasurable memories into 2020. So I guess this band had someone in the same spot as me!

Pools of Radiance on the Commodore 64 was what got me into the Forgotten Realms and D&D in general. Played Hillsfar too and Curse of the Azure Bonds and Secret of the Silver Blades, unfortunately the conclusion, Pools of Darkness was never released on C64, not that I ever saw anyways, so I never got to play that one. As I recall it involved Bane sucking the town of Phlan down into his realm and it was up to the heroes to make it right. Sounds eerily similar to the current Descent into Avernus adventure.
The_Silversword Posted - 14 May 2020 : 07:13:47
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

https://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/hillsfar/jewel-of-the-moonsea/

It's a folk album from earlier this year. It's not uncommon for nerdy bands to name themselves after games or whatever; I don't think this is even the first one that's specifically an FR reference!

Awesome sauce! I was hoping it was something folksy, should make for some suitable gaming music. Looking forward to listening to it when it finally gets here.
Seravin Posted - 13 May 2020 : 09:57:08
Arivia Posted - 12 May 2020 : 21:13:32
https://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/hillsfar/jewel-of-the-moonsea/

It's a folk album from earlier this year. It's not uncommon for nerdy bands to name themselves after games or whatever; I don't think this is even the first one that's specifically an FR reference!
The_Silversword Posted - 12 May 2020 : 19:26:18
Thats what I thought at first too, but it seems to be a music CD, it has me intrigued, intrigued enough that I went ahead and ordered it.
sleyvas Posted - 12 May 2020 : 19:05:30
The picture doesn't exactly match, but apparently before people had settled on IBM compatibles computers, there was a "Hillsfar" game (when I search on ebay for the word hillsfar I see Nintendo, Atari, commodore, etc versions). If I had to guess, that's what its from.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000