Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Hillsfar - Jewel of the Moonsea
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

The_Silversword
Seeker

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2020 :  18:53:09  Show Profile Send The_Silversword a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hillsfar-Jewel-Of-The-Moonsea-Digipak-Cd/274362734572?hash=item3fe14b17ec:g:uF4AAOSwd9VeuVH0

Anybody know anything about this? It has to be Realms Related, right? Hillsfar, Moonsea, can't just be a coincidence.

I survived the Spellplague and all I got was this stupid sig.

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11806 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2020 :  19:05:30  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The picture doesn't exactly match, but apparently before people had settled on IBM compatibles computers, there was a "Hillsfar" game (when I search on ebay for the word hillsfar I see Nintendo, Atari, commodore, etc versions). If I had to guess, that's what its from.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

The_Silversword
Seeker

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2020 :  19:26:18  Show Profile Send The_Silversword a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thats what I thought at first too, but it seems to be a music CD, it has me intrigued, intrigued enough that I went ahead and ordered it.

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2020 :  21:13:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
https://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/hillsfar/jewel-of-the-moonsea/

It's a folk album from earlier this year. It's not uncommon for nerdy bands to name themselves after games or whatever; I don't think this is even the first one that's specifically an FR reference!
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1281 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2020 :  09:57:08  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Moonsea, and the early gold box games that centered around it (Pool of Radiance, Hillsfar, Curse of the Azure Bonds) were quite inspirational for me as a kid in the late 80s. They peaked my imagination and continue to give me pleasurable memories into 2020. So I guess this band had someone in the same spot as me!
Go to Top of Page

The_Silversword
Seeker

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2020 :  07:13:47  Show Profile Send The_Silversword a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

https://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/hillsfar/jewel-of-the-moonsea/

It's a folk album from earlier this year. It's not uncommon for nerdy bands to name themselves after games or whatever; I don't think this is even the first one that's specifically an FR reference!

Awesome sauce! I was hoping it was something folksy, should make for some suitable gaming music. Looking forward to listening to it when it finally gets here.

Go to Top of Page

The_Silversword
Seeker

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2020 :  07:40:10  Show Profile Send The_Silversword a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seravin

The Moonsea, and the early gold box games that centered around it (Pool of Radiance, Hillsfar, Curse of the Azure Bonds) were quite inspirational for me as a kid in the late 80s. They peaked my imagination and continue to give me pleasurable memories into 2020. So I guess this band had someone in the same spot as me!

Pools of Radiance on the Commodore 64 was what got me into the Forgotten Realms and D&D in general. Played Hillsfar too and Curse of the Azure Bonds and Secret of the Silver Blades, unfortunately the conclusion, Pools of Darkness was never released on C64, not that I ever saw anyways, so I never got to play that one. As I recall it involved Bane sucking the town of Phlan down into his realm and it was up to the heroes to make it right. Sounds eerily similar to the current Descent into Avernus adventure.

Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1281 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2020 :  10:03:07  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The_Silversword

quote:
Originally posted by Seravin

Pools of Radiance on the Commodore 64 was what got me into the Forgotten Realms and D&D in general. Played Hillsfar too and Curse of the Azure Bonds and Secret of the Silver Blades, unfortunately the conclusion, Pools of Darkness was never released on C64, not that I ever saw anyways, so I never got to play that one. As I recall it involved Bane sucking the town of Phlan down into his realm and it was up to the heroes to make it right. Sounds eerily similar to the current Descent into Avernus adventure.

Hah! You're not the first to make that claim about Descent into Avernus mirroring the plot of the Pools of Darkness game and novel. If you haven't read the Pools trilogy, it's quite fun and nostalgic for fans of the gold box games.

I played Secret of the Silver Blades and beat it (I think I recall a lich being the final boss with a bunch of Storm Giants); but I never played Pools of Darkness.

The theme music for those games on the C64/128 was epic.
Go to Top of Page

The_Silversword
Seeker

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2020 :  13:02:53  Show Profile Send The_Silversword a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've only read the Avatar and Moonshae novels, and very little else, so I'll definitely have to check them out.

I'm hoping the music on the CD sounds similar to the music from those games.

Go to Top of Page

The_Silversword
Seeker

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2020 :  07:21:47  Show Profile Send The_Silversword a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yah! Finally got it. Not quite what I was expecting, kinda figured thered be lutes and whatnot, but its all synth, still very atmospheric though, make some excellent gaming music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F85GGMqYUy4&t=1182s

Go to Top of Page

The_Silversword
Seeker

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2020 :  08:13:58  Show Profile Send The_Silversword a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am most amused by the title of Track 1 "The Forest of Komanthor". I guess Cormanthor is trademarked and copyrighted so couldnt be used, or maybe thats just how Maalthiir pronounces it. "Damn those elves of Komanthor!"

Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1281 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2020 :  09:21:34  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really like the synth! It takes me back to the C128 days and maybe my Sega Genesis. Thanks for finding Silversword. I can picture Maalthiir with a slight speech impediment.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000