Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Baldur’s Gate 3 revealed!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
keftiu Posted - 27 Feb 2020 : 22:41:06
For the unaware, a lengthy reveal stream happened today: https://youtu.be/XJhawYZwvPI

It looks like a lot like Divinity: Original Sin 2, which should be no surprise. Gameplay is real time until you enter combat, where it becomes turn-based. The premise is that you (and presumably, all the companions) have been implanted with a mind flayer tadpole, but escaped captivity and are looking for a cure (and probably also to stop whatever they’ve attacking cities for).

Launching in Early Access at some unspecified time in the future with only some of the content the full game will have; limited Races (Human, Elf, Dwarf, Halfling, Drow, Githyanki, Tiefling, Half-Elf, Half-Drow) and Classes (Fighter, Rogue, Wizard, Cleric, Ranger, Warlock). Based on 5e. You can choose a Background from those in the 5e PHB, but we didn’t see what that did.

Like OS2, you can either choose a pregen character or make your own, and the pregens all appear as party members. Early Access has Lae’zal (a Githyanki Fighter hoping to return to her people), Gale (a Human Wizard with a “Netherese Destruction Orb beating in his chest,” capable of leveling a city - he’s hoping to take care of that, is described as power-hungry, and in the game led with a kind of racist comment about the Rashemi), Asterion (a High Elf Rogue and vampire spawn whose infection has apparently made him a daywalker - they played as him and had unique dialogue options for being a vampire, and he had an internal monologue that mentioned he was attracted to men), Wynn (a Human Warlock who apparently works as a monster hunter and wants out of his pact), and Shadowheart (a Half-Elf Cleric of Shar, having doubts about her faith after failing on a suicide mission). Wynn wasn’t in this stream, but everyone else was.

I suspect a lot of folks are mad it doesn’t resemble the old Baldur’s Gate games, or seem to have any link to the Bhaalspawn story, but it looks really, really solid on its own merit. I’m keen to play it, though it’ll likely be years until the console port. Very surprised to not see Half-Orc or Paladin in the early release.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
LordofBones Posted - 27 Feb 2021 : 12:02:21
quote:
Originally posted by LordofBones

Divination magic is fundamentally difficult to implement in a CRPG. That's why adaptations keep the buff spells but don't port the more esoteric spells over.

Kingmaker is noteworthy in that the diviner wizard is arguably the strongest specialization because of its school powers, but has the tiniest amount of specialized spells.

Anyway, I pretty much expected Original Sin 2 in a D&D chassis, so I got what I expected. I'm more hyped up for Wrath of the Righteous and its implementation of mythic paths (I get to be a lich! Wheeee!)

I'm resurrecting this because I got into the Wrath beta, and I thought I'd share my thoughts.

Owlcat listened to feedback pretty well; Wrath has the advantage of pretty smart AI and itemization avoids the pitfalls of '+x or bust', with plenty of unique loot (there's a longsword you get in game that you can upgrade every chapter to become a holy avenger, for instance).

Companions are pretty decent. Some have weak writing (Sosiel, the cleric of Desna you get), while some have pretty solid characterizations (Regill, the Lawful Evil gnome hellknight who basically is a professional military officer). Evil characters are actually well-portrayed, between Regill and Daeran, the NE Aasimar oracle. The neutral characters are pretty fun too - Lann's a bit dry but mechanically good, while the kitsune wizard took up one of the best wizard archetypes (and, unfortunately, I don't play her much as I'm already the party wizard).

Mythic paths are rather interesting, so far. Liches get an undead companion and a host of unique spells, and if you're playing an arcane caster you can combine your lich spellbook with your arcane spellbook. Azata get a dragon pet, and the Aeon involves you snapping time over your knee.

Mythic abilities are hilariously overpowered, especially if you're a ranged attacker. Spellcasters get wonderful abilities like 'you get a free quickened spell each round' and 'your first three spell levels get double slots/casts' stacking up to three times until you get 9th level spells. To be fair, bosses can be pretty wild and some encounters necessitate you making good use of spells (I like having Woljif dump an improved invisibility on me before I open a door, throw in a wail of the banshee, then mop up with soulreaver or horrid wilting)
cpthero2 Posted - 21 Mar 2020 : 19:21:14
Learned Scribe ElfBane,

Yeah, good point on BG1 (such a great game).

I just hope they sandbox it as much as possible to allow many options for leveling, etc., so you don't see everyone hitting the same places for farming purposes. I want the feel it looks like it may have.

Best regards,

ElfBane Posted - 21 Mar 2020 : 19:12:59
quote:
Originally posted by Tarlyn

Baldur's Gate 1 also had a level cap. It was around 7 depending on the class. I don't think a level cap of 10 is unreasonable.

And even though BG1 had a level cap,,, it was almost immediately "modded" out. Of course, to get any benefit from modding out the level cap there has to be something you can gain... spells, abilities, feats, etc.
cpthero2 Posted - 21 Mar 2020 : 18:48:58
Learned Scribe keftiu,

Yeah, I could see that being sort of red herring as you saw with Xvim doing his deal in Tymora's Luck.

Best regards,

keftiu Posted - 19 Mar 2020 : 02:21:31
quote:
Originally posted by cpthero2

Learned Scribe keftiu,

What makes you feel it is a red herring?

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by keftiu

Y’know, I’m increasingly thinking the mind flayer plot is a red herring...

They were incredibly cagey about what makes this a third game in the franchise rather than a new thing, and seemed to imply there were plot details they can't share with us. Between that and how much they hyped Descent Into Avernus as the prequel to this (which doesn't feature mind flayers at all, but /does/ have the Cult of the Dead Three as an early-arc antagonist), plus that the press kit again mentions the Dead Three and a few scattered mentions that the plot deals with the schemes of gods, I think Bhaal and his buddies matter much more than the illithids.

The two plots might come together - the Origin Characters might all be Bhaalspawn/Chosen/somehow important to the gods, for instance - or it might be a handy excuse to unite the party before things go in another direction.
Quickleaf Posted - 19 Mar 2020 : 01:24:58
I've been gathering obscure bits of D&D/BG lore and I think there are going to be strong story connections to the Bhaalspawn story that haven't been revealed yet, and possibly are being kept secret because they're part of a big twist. I'll call out where I deviate from pure facts into speculation.

Thematically, the way Bhaal and Bane used their spawn to be reborn isn't that far off from how the mind flayers work, with elder brains feeding on tadpoles (like how Bhaal "fed" off energy of his slain children to be reborn), and tadpoles possessing people (like how Bane "possessed" his cambion son). I think it's even possible that the memories of the Bhaalspawn are somehow still in play through the strange workings of the mind flayers, and may even be part of the tadpole possession or become something you can interact with in BG3.

Additionally, there's an aesthetic parallel between the mind flayer tadpole pool (which appears in the BG 3 trailer) and the symbol of Bhaal surrounding by twelve swirling blood droplets (as seen on the alternate cover for Descent into Avernus): https://i.imgur.com/tckJWKg.jpg This may be pure coincidence.

Baldur’s Gate 3 Lore Tidbits & Speculation

1. Playable races include Githyanki and Tieflings-with-subraces (from Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes) such as the Asmodeus Tiefling.

speculation: The presence of tiefling sub-races based on archdevils suggests devil/Nine Hells-based intrigues feature in BG3.

2. Swen mentioned that the protagonist gets the nautiloid to crash land about 200 miles east of Baldur's Gate. Which just happens to be where Elturel was before being dragged to hell in Descent into Avernus.

source: https://youtu.be/gwYrmp3_6Nc?t=1335

3. Also, Swen said that the city being destroyed by the mind flayers was Yartar which lies east of Neverwinter and Triboar. This is way to the north of Baldur's Gate.

source: https://youtu.be/gwYrmp3_6Nc?t=1335

4. The NPC Shadowheart mentions "the chase through hell.”

source: https://youtu.be/gwYrmp3_6Nc?t=1525

speculation: This may imply the nautiloid ship was planeshifting into and out of the Nine Hells. The snowy twilight canyon the red dragons chase the nautiloid through does have strange crystal formations that glow with their own light (https://youtu.be/gwYrmp3_6Nc?t=1272)...

5. The NPC Gale has a "destruction orb" like a ticking bomb in his chest. Interestingly, a "devastation orb" was mentioned in connection with Yartar in Princes of the Apocalypse (p175): Members of the Hand of Yartar thieves' guild acquired a "devastation orb" from the Lord Protector of Triboar's vault and attempted to auction it off to the highest bidder.

source: https://youtu.be/gwYrmp3_6Nc?t=1070

6. “As we desperately seek a cure, we discover the tadpole gives us godlike powers and we find ourselves on the centre stage of a complot hatched by none other than the Dead Three: the gods of Murder, Tyranny, and Death.”

source: https://i.imgur.com/wDhL6kh.png from the official Larian Press Kit for BG3: https://larian.com/press

7. The Dead Three – Bhaal, Myrkul, and Bane – are no longer dead, but rather existing as demigods. Rather than retreat from the world along with most gods (at Ao’s command), they chose to remain among mortals in a weakened state as demigods to enact their schemes.

source: DNDBeyond https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIdSoaR7SH4 & Dragon Talk https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAveVhvydhM

8. In Baldur’s Gate 2, Gorion’s Ward either destroys or absorbs whatever is left of Bhaal’s essence and even has the option to take his place as the new Lord of Murder.

source: Baldur’s Gate 2

9. The last known Bhaalspawns (Abdel Adrian & Viekang) fought, and one was killed, while the other turned into a blood-soaked horror that was defeated by adventurers. With all of his spawn dead, Bhaal’s essence was unbound, allowing for his resurrection.

source: Murder in Baldur’s Gate, page unknown.

10. Myrkul retrieved the Silver Sword of Gith from the Abyss and gave it to one of his followers. Also, Myrkul was depicted as a nearly dead god-corpse floating in the Astral.

source: Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer

speculation: Githyanki are known for inhabiting god-corpses, and some could have a fortress on Myrkul’s semi-alive body.

11. Bane appears to have been reborn by consuming his half-demon (cambion?) son Iyachtu Xvim in a pillar of green flame and using his body.

source: The Grand History of the Realms, page 152.

12. In the high-level adventure Tyranny of Souls (from the Scales of War 4e adventure path), Vlaakith has just been assassinated and Tiamat seizes Tu'narath, commanding the githyanki to go after her enemies (metallic dragons) instead of their traditional enemy - the mind flayers. However, a Separatist faction of githyanki opposes bowing to Tiamat's whims. This breaks the old compact, and the spirit of Gith (which was languishing in Dis, the 2nd layer of the Nine Hells) possesses a young githyanki woman who masquerades as Vlaakith reborn. Holy cow!

source: Dungeon #168 (July 2009)

cpthero2 Posted - 14 Mar 2020 : 22:48:48
Learned Scribe keftiu,

What makes you feel it is a red herring?

Best regards,

quote:

keftiu Posted - 14 Mar 2020 : 19:41:43
quote:
Originally posted by Tanthalas

Well, in the AMA they did say that the connection to the story of BG1/2 would be readily apparent when you get farther into the game. It's not impossible that this mindflayer crisis is just a side-crisis that unintentionally reveals a bigger and more cosmic plot involving Bhaal.

That’s my thinking exactly, especially given that DiA establishes the Dead Three are all active somewhere near the city
Tanthalas Posted - 14 Mar 2020 : 14:00:06
Well, in the AMA they did say that the connection to the story of BG1/2 would be readily apparent when you get farther into the game. It's not impossible that this mindflayer crisis is just a side-crisis that unintentionally reveals a bigger and more cosmic plot involving Bhaal.
keftiu Posted - 14 Mar 2020 : 09:29:46
Tanthalas Posted - 13 Mar 2020 : 21:18:29
That's my thought exactly. BG1 was a fantastic game in it's own right with a lowish level cap.

Though granted, I knew nothing about DnD at the time, so I had no idea about what higher levels would grant each class.

That little tidbit about Ranger was interesting. I wonder what their solution for Favoured Enemy is going to be.
Tarlyn Posted - 13 Mar 2020 : 12:33:42
Baldur's Gate 1 also had a level cap. It was around 7 depending on the class. I don't think a level cap of 10 is unreasonable.
cpthero2 Posted - 13 Mar 2020 : 03:55:24
Learned Scribe keftiu,

I certainly wouldn't judge that as bad, even though it does seem like they are lining up additional games. I consider that good product line development in this case. Can't fault them there.

If they focused more on the story than the leveling (as to why they did that) that would be really cool!

Best regards,

quote:

Oh, and another neat detail: only covers levels 1-10.

keftiu Posted - 13 Mar 2020 : 02:15:01
quote:
Originally posted by Tanthalas

The game will only go to level 10, or early access?

If the game is capped at level 10, we can probably expect at least an expansion. Probably a sequel.

The full game, with EA only covering part of that.
Tanthalas Posted - 13 Mar 2020 : 01:40:46
The game will only go to level 10, or early access?

If the game is capped at level 10, we can probably expect at least an expansion. Probably a sequel.
keftiu Posted - 13 Mar 2020 : 01:27:00
Oh, and another neat detail: only covers levels 1-10.
cpthero2 Posted - 13 Mar 2020 : 01:18:25
Learned Scribe keftiu,

Thanks for the update. That definitely helped me push this off for a purchase.

Best regards,

quote:

Ongoing AMA on Reddir about this with the devs, but a few notable details caught my eye:

-If you make a custom character who isn’t a drow or a githyanki, they’ll be assumed to be a native of Baldur’s Gate, which none of the premade characters are.
-The final release will have all PHB class options, but Early Access will just be Fighter, Cleric, Wizard, Rogue, Warlock, Ranger.

keftiu Posted - 12 Mar 2020 : 21:00:11
Ongoing AMA on Reddir about this with the devs, but a few notable details caught my eye:

-If you make a custom character who isn’t a drow or a githyanki, they’ll be assumed to be a native of Baldur’s Gate, which none of the premade characters are.
-The final release will have all PHB class options, but Early Access will just be Fighter, Cleric, Wizard, Rogue, Warlock, Ranger.
cpthero2 Posted - 09 Mar 2020 : 23:39:04
Great Reader Diffan,

I think you already posted and we have had that discussion going now, if I am not mistaken? ;)

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

quote:

Great Reader Diffan,

I'd love to discuss this with you. I'll keep an eye out for you getting this argument going somewhere else. Please copy and paste. I like your argument.

Best regards,

Ok, maybe you can PM me some suggestions as to what to title the thread to create a discussion around the topic so it doesn't just devolve into bashing threat of edition warring.

Diffan Posted - 08 Mar 2020 : 22:15:17
quote:

Great Reader Diffan,

I'd love to discuss this with you. I'll keep an eye out for you getting this argument going somewhere else. Please copy and paste. I like your argument.

Best regards,

Ok, maybe you can PM me some suggestions as to what to title the thread to create a discussion around the topic so it doesn't just devolve into bashing threat of edition warring.
Diffan Posted - 08 Mar 2020 : 22:01:50
quote:

(I’m a huge 4e fan, but this isn’t exactly the thread to rehash mechanical arguments about the editions. Can we please take it elsewhere?)

My apologies for thread-jacking, request noted and understood. As for BG3, I'm really excited! I get that ppl are mad about some of the options and I guess some are/were mad about how turn-based it is but the game looks stunning overall. I'm looking forward to trying out my human fighter (Battle master) with crossbow expert and
Sharpshooter feats!
cpthero2 Posted - 08 Mar 2020 : 21:02:19
Great Reader Diffan,

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

FWIW, the main reason I stopped playing D&D and adjacent systems was because of the obsession with combat. I haven't used a d20 game in years, in favor of stuff in the storygame space that prioritizes more emotional storytelling.

It's odd that you say this, with your signature proclaiming your love of 4E. That ruleset seemed to make anything non-combat purely an afterthought.

It's unfortunate that over a decade after 4e came out this mentality about said edition is still perpetuated. And as I get roped into the discussion again, I have to ask what - specifically speaking- was so glaringly missing non-combat wise from 4e that was so heavily focused on with other editions?

The system has lots of skills, but maybe you mean skills like Profession or Performance? Not that the system didn't discourage players from trying to do performance or take a job, but that these specific notions aren't well served by one single roll vs. DC. Maybe actually role-playing a performance or speaking with people to get a job and applying multiple skills to said job makes for a more fulfilling experience than "I roll for Profession (teach) for a week" and get 3gp....*yawn*.

Maybe you're talking about a player that doesn't want to take ANY combat options and wants to remain a sort of pacifist. That's certainly do-able but what would best fulfill this concept is simply making an NPC with a small set of non-combat options instead of trying to force adventuring-style classes into a role that isn't made for?

Maybe we're talking about non-combat spells? Well luckily there's hundreds of Rituals to choose from! There's also utility spells and Martial Rituals that are non-combat focused. Not to mention loads of Magical items that are not specifically combat oriented.

Maybe we're talking about Paragon Paths and their powers? Certainly there combat focused like Prestige Classes were but yet quite a few were far more focused on out-of-combat aspects than one might think. This was usually a feature of utility power that added some effect to a skill check or maybe interaction with some unique species. I could make a list of you really want.

The fact is, and I've been stressing this for 8 years, that because 4e used color-coded boxes and didn't have similar interior design of character options that previous editions had it simply "looked" too different despite the multitude of similarities. I can just point to 5e and how much design concepts were taken straight from 4e and given a 'familiar glow' to make people appreciate the design.

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly RupertThat said, I don't think most D20 systems are obsessed with combat, as much as it is that they're simply more focused on the combat that people expect in their games. Ultimately, it's up to the DM and their players to decide how much combat is in the game.

Now that's well said and I'd say that goes for most systems, and also for how much role-play that goes into the session. How much of either, combat or RP, that goes into a game is group dependant and not what the system is

keftiu Posted - 08 Mar 2020 : 20:39:15
(I’m a huge 4e fan, but this isn’t exactly the thread to rehash mechanical arguments about the editions. Can we please take it elsewhere?)
Diffan Posted - 08 Mar 2020 : 18:33:27
quote:

quote:

FWIW, the main reason I stopped playing D&D and adjacent systems was because of the obsession with combat. I haven't used a d20 game in years, in favor of stuff in the storygame space that prioritizes more emotional storytelling.

It's odd that you say this, with your signature proclaiming your love of 4E. That ruleset seemed to make anything non-combat purely an afterthought.

It's unfortunate that over a decade after 4e came out this mentality about said edition is still perpetuated. And as I get roped into the discussion again, I have to ask what - specifically speaking- was so glaringly missing non-combat wise from 4e that was so heavily focused on with other editions?

The system has lots of skills, but maybe you mean skills like Profession or Performance? Not that the system didn't discourage players from trying to do performance or take a job, but that these specific notions aren't well served by one single roll vs. DC. Maybe actually role-playing a performance or speaking with people to get a job and applying multiple skills to said job makes for a more fulfilling experience than "I roll for Profession (teach) for a week" and get 3gp....*yawn*.

Maybe you're talking about a player that doesn't want to take ANY combat options and wants to remain a sort of pacifist. That's certainly do-able but what would best fulfill this concept is simply making an NPC with a small set of non-combat options instead of trying to force adventuring-style classes into a role that isn't made for?

Maybe we're talking about non-combat spells? Well luckily there's hundreds of Rituals to choose from! There's also utility spells and Martial Rituals that are non-combat focused. Not to mention loads of Magical items that are not specifically combat oriented.

Maybe we're talking about Paragon Paths and their powers? Certainly there combat focused like Prestige Classes were but yet quite a few were far more focused on out-of-combat aspects than one might think. This was usually a feature of utility power that added some effect to a skill check or maybe interaction with some unique species. I could make a list of you really want.

The fact is, and I've been stressing this for 8 years, that because 4e used color-coded boxes and didn't have similar interior design of character options that previous editions had it simply "looked" too different despite the multitude of similarities. I can just point to 5e and how much design concepts were taken straight from 4e and given a 'familiar glow' to make people appreciate the design.

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly RupertThat said, I don't think most D20 systems are obsessed with combat, as much as it is that they're simply more focused on the combat that people expect in their games. Ultimately, it's up to the DM and their players to decide how much combat is in the game.

Now that's well said and I'd say that goes for most systems, and also for how much role-play that goes into the session. How much of either, combat or RP, that goes into a game is group dependant and not what the system is
cpthero2 Posted - 07 Mar 2020 : 08:19:35
Master LordofBones,

Yeah, I can appreciate that as far as Diviner's go. I don't know how you can stick to the actual intent of the spells with a contained environment and game. Here is to some day for it though!

I am going to have to go look at Kingmaker I think then. Those Diplomancers are right on the doorstep though in my opinion.

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by LordofBones

Divination magic is fundamentally difficult to implement in a CRPG. That's why adaptations keep the buff spells but don't port the more esoteric spells over.

Kingmaker is noteworthy in that the diviner wizard is arguably the strongest specialization because of its school powers, but has the tiniest amount of specialized spells.

Anyway, I pretty much expected Original Sin 2 in a D&D chassis, so I got what I expected. I'm more hyped up for Wrath of the Righteous and its implementation of mythic paths (I get to be a lich! Wheeee!)

LordofBones Posted - 07 Mar 2020 : 06:42:22

cpthero2 Posted - 06 Mar 2020 : 05:23:39
Learned Scribe keftiu,

I completely get that. In fact, that reason there is why I changed, quite a long time ago, from a regular linear campaign story mode, to a sandbox campaign style. It allows the players to tell the story they want to tell about their characters as opposed to me dictating how that is all going to go down.

They really should add in other options like diviners, and other classes and options that are not all about combat.

Best regards,

quote:

keftiu Posted - 06 Mar 2020 : 03:41:59
quote:

quote:

That said, I don't think most D20 systems are obsessed with combat, as much as it is that they're simply more focused on the combat that people expect in their games. Ultimately, it's up to the DM and their players to decide how much combat is in the game.

I respect 4e for being, IMHO, the edition with the clearest design goals, and I think it realized them well. It's a game I think is well-made without being one I necessarily want to play :p

My love for the 4e Realms is purely built on narrative reasons; I run it in other rulesets.

And I'd push back on that a little, as the bulk of class features and portions of the character sheet itself are combat focused. Almost everything beyond Skills and some spells are aimed at battle and violence. Especially in 5e, there are almost no noncombat class features.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 06 Mar 2020 : 03:32:03
quote:

That said, I don't think most D20 systems are obsessed with combat, as much as it is that they're simply more focused on the combat that people expect in their games. Ultimately, it's up to the DM and their players to decide how much combat is in the game.
keftiu Posted - 06 Mar 2020 : 03:06:24

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000