Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The New Forgotten Realms Map (5e)

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Baptor Posted - 17 Aug 2015 : 20:06:48
Has everyone seen this? It was up recently on the WotC boards for the Realms. Supposedly this is a "player's map" for the post-Sundering Northern Realms.

http://community.wizards.com/sites/mtgcommunity/files/5E%20Map_1.pdf

I think its possible to assume from this the Aberian lands have been transported back and most of the geography changes have been rolled back. (Half of Aglarond isn't underwater, for example.)
21   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Dark Wizard Posted - 19 Aug 2015 : 16:27:49
The first map, because of its broad strokes approach and downplay of 4E alterations, could pass for a map from the 3E era. Likewise the second, aside from a few oddities. They both look like the maps one would find on the end papers of game books, or the latter might be something I expect from the upcoming Sword Coast Legends game as their overland map.
deserk Posted - 19 Aug 2015 : 10:34:50
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

Although, from the area of the map, it does appear that the [cough]unholy abomination of the[/cough] Underchasm is no longer present.

I was gonna say the same. And also notice the Vilhon Reach is back. Thankful for that :)
Delwa Posted - 19 Aug 2015 : 03:03:27
quote:
Originally posted by Gyor

I think the Overview map has so few details is because they're not done designing the 5e realms yet.

Possibly. It just depends on how much of an overview of the rest of the Realms and the Sundering they give us in the upcoming Guide Book.

On that note, did anyone notice that the artist that did the overview map and the Sword Coast map are one and the same? They're both signed Blando, indicating Jared Blando did both.
Gyor Posted - 19 Aug 2015 : 02:01:43
I think the Overview map has so few details is because they're not done designing the 5e realms yet.
Gyor Posted - 19 Aug 2015 : 01:59:39
I noticed from the Sword Coast map Najara, the Kingdom of Lizardmen and Nagas, from 4e still exists, so it hasn't changed everything.
Joran Nobleheart Posted - 18 Aug 2015 : 21:36:05
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Joran Nobleheart

oh, I agree. I've actually had this one for my tablet wallpaper for quite a while now. Paired with the Google Now launcher, it makes for a wonderful map!

I've stuck with one wallpaper on my tablet, since I first got it. A big, red, cartoony "Don't Panic". It seemed appropriate.

Very nice! I'm hoping that I don't switch to the same sort of wallpaper after I see the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide!

All kidding aside, I am, for the first time in quite a while, excited about the Realms (the canon Realms that is published as I've always been a fan of what I have developed with my players over the years). I still favor playing in the 1300s, but my fiancée's oldest daughter doesn't like all the history that my players and her mom have done. She hates cameos of characters and favors the time jump. I understand, and only run my normal timeline with my other players. That way, everyone wins.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 18 Aug 2015 : 20:12:30
quote:

oh, I agree. I've actually had this one for my tablet wallpaper for quite a while now. Paired with the Google Now launcher, it makes for a wonderful map!

I've stuck with one wallpaper on my tablet, since I first got it. A big, red, cartoony "Don't Panic". It seemed appropriate.
Joran Nobleheart Posted - 18 Aug 2015 : 19:10:50
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Baptor

quote:

quote:

It's a vague, plain map with next to no markings at all -- certainly no cities or countries.

It's rather disappointing to me, actually.

I understand and agree. Perhaps this is sort of a teaser map, or just the map they reference in the article that characters in the world might have access to? I'm just excited to see a 5E sourcebook coming out. I'll also be letting wizards know that something along the lines of the old Volo's Guides would be great to have for DMs and players alike. I believe Ed even mentioned mentioning that to Wizards in the previous issue of Dragon+. I'm always happy to oblige!

From what I understand, this is a "player's map," i.e. a map the DM can give out with no spoilers to the players. There should be a more detailed map in the Sword Coast Adventures book coming out. There already IS an updated map of part of the Sword Coast from one of the recent APs. You can find that one here: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Gcc73nxY24M/U9dk9phbk6I/AAAAAAAACCE/ebivcvCU0M0/s1600/Map+-+Sword+Coast+x_Page_1_Image_0001.jpg

That is a much nicer map. Not as good as that big one I grabbed from somewhere back during the 3E era, but certainly better than the first linked one.

Oh, I agree. I've actually had this one for my tablet wallpaper for quite a while now. Paired with the Google Now launcher, it makes for a wonderful map!
The Arcanamach Posted - 18 Aug 2015 : 01:18:43
I hate it. I expect more from WotC. Give me a Mike Schley map please.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 17 Aug 2015 : 23:26:28
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

Although, from the area of the map, it does appear that the [cough]unholy abomination of the[/cough] Underchasm is no longer present.

And there's anything wrong with that?
Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 17 Aug 2015 : 23:10:16
Wooly Rupert Posted - 17 Aug 2015 : 22:27:36
quote:

quote:

quote:

It's a vague, plain map with next to no markings at all -- certainly no cities or countries.

I understand and agree. Perhaps this is sort of a teaser map, or just the map they reference in the article that characters in the world might have access to? I'm just excited to see a 5E sourcebook coming out. I'll also be letting wizards know that something along the lines of the old Volo's Guides would be great to have for DMs and players alike. I believe Ed even mentioned mentioning that to Wizards in the previous issue of Dragon+. I'm always happy to oblige!

From what I understand, this is a "player's map," i.e. a map the DM can give out with no spoilers to the players. There should be a more detailed map in the Sword Coast Adventures book coming out. There already IS an updated map of part of the Sword Coast from one of the recent APs. You can find that one here: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Gcc73nxY24M/U9dk9phbk6I/AAAAAAAACCE/ebivcvCU0M0/s1600/Map+-+Sword+Coast+x_Page_1_Image_0001.jpg

That is a much nicer map. Not as good as that big one I grabbed from somewhere back during the 3E era, but certainly better than the first linked one.
Delwa Posted - 17 Aug 2015 : 21:51:43
quote:

quote:

quote:

The article the map in the op was in referred to it as an overview map. The article also stated that there would be more detailed maps of specific regions.
The player's map part comes from a general statement about the maps (plural) artistic style being something more along the lines of what a character / adventurer would be carrying or would pick up in a shop.
Baptor Posted - 17 Aug 2015 : 21:20:39
quote:

quote:

Joran Nobleheart Posted - 17 Aug 2015 : 21:00:43
quote:

quote:

I've heard people mention how the 3E maps moved some things around if I'm not mistaken. Since I'm currently caring for my little daughter, could someone please let me know if the map is more as it was in 1E, 2E, 3E, or 4E? I would greatly appreciate any information on the matter. I'm hoping for more of the 1E/2E placement since I came to the Realms during that time in 1999.

I've been comparing the maps all day and it looks a lot more like the 1e/2e map. Of note is the Great Glacier, which is much further south in the 1e/2e/5e map than it is in the 3e map.

Ah, thank you for letting me know! I'm glad to hear that it's more in line with my favorite editions maps!
Joran Nobleheart Posted - 17 Aug 2015 : 20:59:22
quote:

Baptor Posted - 17 Aug 2015 : 20:58:10
quote:

It's certainly not what I hope comes out as the final DM map for sure, but it answers a lot of questions for me regarding the Sundering process and what got changed. It also confirms the long standing rumor that the 5e map would more or less be like the 1e map. A very real attempt seems to be made to reach all the way back and effectively start over again. Even Shadovar was wiped out and the Anauroch was reset.

I expect much more to come, but this has me helped in a lot of ways.
Baptor Posted - 17 Aug 2015 : 20:54:10
quote:

I've heard people mention how the 3E maps moved some things around if I'm not mistaken. Since I'm currently caring for my little daughter, could someone please let me know if the map is more as it was in 1E, 2E, 3E, or 4E? I would greatly appreciate any information on the matter. I'm hoping for more of the 1E/2E placement since I came to the Realms during that time in 1999.

I've been comparing the maps all day and it looks a lot more like the 1e/2e map. Of note is the Great Glacier, which is much further south in the 1e/2e/5e map than it is in the 3e map.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 17 Aug 2015 : 20:52:55

Joran Nobleheart Posted - 17 Aug 2015 : 20:36:43
Delwa Posted - 17 Aug 2015 : 20:27:42
Yep. That map was in the latest issue of Dragon+ for Android / iPad.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000