Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 what is a green mage

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
silverwolfer Posted - 13 Apr 2013 : 23:53:43
what is a green mage r I read about it in the book magrhound
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
sleyvas Posted - 16 Apr 2013 : 00:00:31
Except for the fact that they're in a very civilized society, the class sounds like the NPC class "adept". They get basic healing magic, some buffs and warding magic, and some very "basic" magical attacks. They learn healing & craft skills and have access to all knowledge skills. The "adept" gets their magic as divine magic, which might explain why these "green mages" are trained in the church of Azuth. In fact, the Azuthans may have seen tribal adepts and simply adapted the magical class to their church (it would seem to fit that they'd want all kinds of magical casters and not just wizards and clerics). It might be that the females who come to the temple and just don't seem suited to the priesthood are instead taught the arts of an adept/green mage (especially those who possess moderate intelligence and wisdom bonuses and little charisma). Their familiars might further stress this "tie to nature" and their familiars might be ones that are more suited to hearth and home.

Barastir Posted - 15 Apr 2013 : 13:50:27
Have you considered asking Mrs. Elaine Cunningham herself, in the Chamber of Sages?
Markustay Posted - 14 Apr 2013 : 17:55:05
I thought a green mage was one that had sampled some of Bruenor's cooking.
vorpalanvil Posted - 14 Apr 2013 : 14:20:02
I love it when on that rare occasion you show a bit of snark Wooly.
Xar Zarath Posted - 14 Apr 2013 : 08:19:39
Maybe its more along the lines of an environmentalist mage?

Go green not arcane!
TBeholder Posted - 14 Apr 2013 : 07:14:24
And what Preserver have that a "standard" wizard doesn't? Potion fruits? Yes, but that's just a matter of tradition.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 14 Apr 2013 : 05:41:56
It's WotC's attempt to woo the modern gamer by updating the Preserver from Dark Sun.
Dennis Posted - 14 Apr 2013 : 03:20:59

They are like the wizards of the Jade Order from the Warhammer universe.
silverwolfer Posted - 14 Apr 2013 : 01:23:14
the floodgates "

a greenmage was a arts midwife skilled in herbal and healing arts, usualy with bits of a diviners gift, and always trained by the azuthan inquistors. Not quite a wizard, not quite a cleric, not quite a magehound, not quite a witch, but defintely more than a physician, a greenmage saw to the health of halruaas wizards, since a qizards magice and health so entwined, such complex traning was necessary

"
Kentinal Posted - 14 Apr 2013 : 00:56:38
In Magehound, I could not quite trace down the reference, I thus offer three possible answers.

The Green elf a magic user

A mage being new (or green) to magic use.

Local name for wild magic users.
Bladewind Posted - 14 Apr 2013 : 00:55:50
I don't recall what it is but the name evokes an image of a transmuter who enjoys plant and animal themed spells. One who often casts Bulls Strength, Cats Grace etc, and enjoys changing shape into different animals via polymorph spells, casts summon spells that call celestial animals and has excellent (alchemical) knowledge of the natural world.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000