Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 what is a green mage
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2013 :  23:53:43  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
what is a green mage r I read about it in the book magrhound

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2013 :  00:55:50  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't recall what it is but the name evokes an image of a transmuter who enjoys plant and animal themed spells. One who often casts Bulls Strength, Cats Grace etc, and enjoys changing shape into different animals via polymorph spells, casts summon spells that call celestial animals and has excellent (alchemical) knowledge of the natural world.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4687 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2013 :  00:56:38  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In Magehound, I could not quite trace down the reference, I thus offer three possible answers.

The Green elf a magic user

A mage being new (or green) to magic use.

Local name for wild magic users.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon

Edited by - Kentinal on 14 Apr 2013 00:57:23
Go to Top of Page

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2013 :  01:23:14  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
the floodgates "

a greenmage was a arts midwife skilled in herbal and healing arts, usualy with bits of a diviners gift, and always trained by the azuthan inquistors. Not quite a wizard, not quite a cleric, not quite a magehound, not quite a witch, but defintely more than a physician, a greenmage saw to the health of halruaas wizards, since a qizards magice and health so entwined, such complex traning was necessary

"
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2013 :  03:20:59  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

They are like the wizards of the Jade Order from the Warhammer universe.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2013 :  05:41:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's WotC's attempt to woo the modern gamer by updating the Preserver from Dark Sun.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2421 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2013 :  07:14:24  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And what Preserver have that a "standard" wizard doesn't? Potion fruits? Yes, but that's just a matter of tradition.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Xar Zarath
Senior Scribe

Malaysia
552 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2013 :  08:19:39  Show Profile Send Xar Zarath a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe its more along the lines of an environmentalist mage?

Go green not arcane!

Everything ends where it begins. Period.

Go to Top of Page

vorpalanvil
Seeker

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2013 :  14:20:02  Show Profile Send vorpalanvil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love it when on that rare occasion you show a bit of snark Wooly.

"I'm a busy man! I got places to go, monsters to kill!" attributed to 1st level bard
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2013 :  17:55:05  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought a green mage was one that had sampled some of Bruenor's cooking.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2013 :  13:50:27  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have you considered asking Mrs. Elaine Cunningham herself, in the Chamber of Sages?

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11809 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2013 :  00:00:31  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Except for the fact that they're in a very civilized society, the class sounds like the NPC class "adept". They get basic healing magic, some buffs and warding magic, and some very "basic" magical attacks. They learn healing & craft skills and have access to all knowledge skills. The "adept" gets their magic as divine magic, which might explain why these "green mages" are trained in the church of Azuth. In fact, the Azuthans may have seen tribal adepts and simply adapted the magical class to their church (it would seem to fit that they'd want all kinds of magical casters and not just wizards and clerics). It might be that the females who come to the temple and just don't seem suited to the priesthood are instead taught the arts of an adept/green mage (especially those who possess moderate intelligence and wisdom bonuses and little charisma). Their familiars might further stress this "tie to nature" and their familiars might be ones that are more suited to hearth and home.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000