Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Armed Forces

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Nicolai Withander Posted - 11 Feb 2012 : 11:01:37
Hello...

Who or what kingdom or institution has the largest or biggest and so Most powerful army on the face of Fearun and Toril???
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kentinal Posted - 17 Feb 2012 : 14:58:36
Dennis, for this to work at all it would take years, more like centuries. Start by building land base power, with only small percentage devoted to water and underdark. The making of good alliances clearly would be important. I do infer that the land based forces would have an air force as a component as well to deal with battles for air space control.

It might be that a standing army of 25 million might be able to do the job. Ten percent each for underdark and water foes, Five percent air force and rest ground troops. Once all the land secured Increasing water and underdark in percentage of force.

Oh one other tactic that one might consider, getting foes to fight each other before expanding in to take control. In their grand wars, both forces would be weakened, one side might even make a deal with world conquest country in order to defeat other foe..

There are so many variables on how to take over the world that it likely could never be done fully. There would always be opposition groups wanting the old days. What make up of air force one has clearly effects control of air. What type of water troops determine how well control can be taken and kept. I will note that now surface shipping lanes exist so it would appear surface control would not be lost because one surface county.
Dennis Posted - 17 Feb 2012 : 03:23:23

The "realms" under the sea are vaster than the surface world, and most likely home to unknown billions of aberrations and uncatalogued monsters. If they are content in keeping to themselves and letting the surface world die in their own wars, then good for you. But if they deem you a nuisance, they'd probably show up on or near the sea surface and ensure that you'll never be able to use the sea for trade and transportation ever again.
Kentinal Posted - 17 Feb 2012 : 02:59:38
Well there are ways to fight sea wars as well. Of course having sea allies help, dolphins for example.

In some ways ruling the world goal could just be the surface. If this path taken all that is needed to to keep the Drow, etc. in the underdark and control the surface of the water trade routes. Oh in time with allies indeed in time the deepest part of the world might be defeated
Dennis Posted - 17 Feb 2012 : 00:14:03

You would probably need a million Ikahovas to win a full scale sea battle.
Nicolai Withander Posted - 16 Feb 2012 : 11:05:41
Yes... I have considered diferent battelfields. Other planes not so much, but in the army we would have a lot of paladins and mages. With the right feats like "Planar Turning" some of the extraplanar problem vould be solved. Or lessened at least. A lot of battle mages with the spell fly and with wands and staffs should also be alble to deal with again some if not all of the areal assult. And lastly my griffon riders would be a help there!!!

In the water though that is a nother problem since a) I have no clue what lives there and b) can they want on land?? That kind of a battleground I have no experience in or on!
Dennis Posted - 15 Feb 2012 : 23:43:43

Have you considered your "battlegrounds" in your equation? You will not be fighting on land only if you wish to "conquer" Toril. You will have to deal with airborne creatures, bring your forces underground, and under the vast seas. Not to mention you will be dealing with other planes of existence, as your opponents possess the ability to summon alien allies and open numerous portals. In short, YOU HAVE TOO MANY THINGS to consider...
Nicolai Withander Posted - 15 Feb 2012 : 22:09:17
It was a typo!

I just wanna thank everybody for a great contribution to this thread so far. If anyone has anything interesting to say about the theme of conquest pleasy do not hesitate to post it!!! I my self have gotten alot out of it. Many questions have been answered but many new arise. Many ideas have come to mind aswell and a lot part to the efforts of the scribes here. So thanks!
Artemas Entreri Posted - 15 Feb 2012 : 15:21:51
quote:
Originally posted by Imp

What's a siscusion?

If memory serves I believe it's a biblical term for a eunuch whose desire knows no bounds, despite the attempt to quell it.

Or it could just be a typo.
Imp Posted - 15 Feb 2012 : 14:31:25
What's a siscusion?
Icelander Posted - 15 Feb 2012 : 14:27:37
quote:
Originally posted by Nicolai Withander

Can we PLEASE keep this siscusion elswhere!

Of course. My apologies.
Imp Posted - 15 Feb 2012 : 13:18:28
quote:
Or maybe check out other forums where the mods actually are like what you accuse us of being like. I've been to some of those forums, and in fact was banned from the WotC forums for rules violations I didn't commit.

Go to Giant in the Playground. In comparison to them, Wooly and Sage are SAINTS with unimaginably long patience.
Ice, I respect your knowledge about Realms and help that you give to scribes who seek that knowledge, but now you're just being silly with your accusations.
Nicolai Withander Posted - 15 Feb 2012 : 12:32:55
Can we PLEASE keep this siscusion elswhere!

Wooly Rupert Posted - 15 Feb 2012 : 11:13:29
So it's rude to want to know why someone says their own topic is silly and then wants to keep discussing it?

We lock threads less often than once or twice a month. And usually that's after repeated warnings, and the threads usually have someone deliberately antagonizing others. How locking threads so infrequently, and with more than sufficient warning, can qualify as "too critical" and "too quick" is utterly beyond me. What are we supposed to do, send out monogrammed letters beforehand, or should we just let people blatantly violate rules and harass others until they get bored?

As for not having support of the Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct on some of our actions... Let's see, the Code says things like

quote:
5. Always be courteous and polite to other members,
and
quote:
11. Moderators are permitted to edit or delete any posts, should they deem it necesssary.
and
quote:
5. Certain subjects are known to cause confusion and can result in a very opinionated thread. These subjects will be monitored very closely by the moderators to ensure conduct is kept civil and in order.
and
quote:
The forum is for the discussion of the Forgotten Realms. Please keep all topics relevant to this campaign setting

Those are our justifications. We act most often when people are repeatedly being rude to others. And we act when certain topics that are known to cause problems come up. And some of those topics cause problems because -- as has already been demonstrated in the past, in these halls -- some people cannot keep real-world thoughts and emotions out of the discussion.

Or are we supposed to also let the same arguments happen over and over again?

You also imply that we play favorites. That is so utterly far from the truth that it's insulting. I've come down on people I agree with, if their posts were violating the CoC or if it was something like pointlessly bashing 4E in a thread where people were trying to discuss it. I've gone out of my way to try to make sure people can discuss any aspect of Realmslore. There are people I frequently disagree with that don't know, because I simply don't say anything. I've found more than one discussion to be entirely against my own thoughts or opinions, and I've not even gone as far as to say I disagree.

And even when I don't like someone, they get the same consideration and treatment as any one else. No one gets any special treatment, here.

If we were too critical or too quick to use our power, we'd not even be having this discussion -- your posts would have simply been deleted, and we might have even locked your account.

The moderators here have two missions: making sure we stick to discussing Realmslore, and making sure things remain civil. If you have a problem with that, then you need to be taking it up with Big Al. Or maybe check out other forums where the mods actually are like what you accuse us of being like. I've been to some of those forums, and in fact was banned from the WotC forums for rules violations I didn't commit.

Lastly, you say you haven't violated the CoC... How about this part?
quote:
If you have any disagreements with a moderator’s action, please do not post this on the forum, instead, send a Private Message to the moderator and discuss privately. If you wish matters to be investigated, then email/PM the Head Moderator.

Icelander Posted - 15 Feb 2012 : 08:09:48
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I'm not entirely sure where your antagonistic attitude toward agreed-to Candlekeep Forum etiquette [the Code of Conduct you agreed to abide by when you first registered here] has come from all of a sudden, Icelander.

I am not hostile to the Code of Conduct, not at all. Nor have I tried to violate it and, in fact, I don't belive I have.

What I do not like is that the Code of Conduct does not appear to reflect the actual rules on the forums. Those appear to exist as custom among the moderators and vary according to their moods. Reading carefully over the Code of Conduct, for example, I found little support for the censorious response given every time someone mentions something that might trigger real world prejudices of others. By a close reading, only profane language or personal attacks caused by this would be forbidden, not the discussion of Realmslore that might have real world connections.

The only applicable thing I found is this:

5. Certain subjects are known to cause confusion and can result in a very opinionated thread. These subjects will be monitored very closely by the moderators to ensure conduct is kept civil and in order. Before participating in such threads, please read the specific explanations given here in the FORGOTTEN REALMS SUBJECT EXPLANATIONS. This list will be updated over time, as and when new situations which need to be addressed and clarified arise.

Checking the subject explanations, however, I discover that the only subject specifically cautioned against is the Cosmology of the third edition as compared to the 2e. If the intention was to include other subjects, that has not been followed up on.

I don't like having to try to guess the rules before I try to follow them.

quote:

I take my position here very seriously, and I don't appreciate being labelled as overly-critical, unforgivably rude, and actively hostile... at least not without legitimate reason. So, I would ask that you please provide evidence of these claims you make against me that clearly demonstrate exactly what you've said here about both myself and my conduction of moderation at Candlekeep.

A critical reading of what I actually wrote will reveal that 'unforgivably rude' is Wooly repeating the same question three times in a badgering tone, giving the impression that posters owe moderators explanations of why they wish to discuss certain Realmslore.* Common grammar reveals that there is no necessity for all the moderators to be guilty of a given solecism for it to be an attribute of moderators on this site.

'Actively hostile' is not something of which I accused anyone. I said that it was an impression that could be gotten from Wooly's tone, but that I hoped it was merely an accident of communication, not real. If you would like, however, I can find some examples of moderators responding to certain 'what if' questions about Realslore in a less than welcoming manner. Consider just how large the fraction of Candlekeep traffic that is generated by the moderators themselves and a small circle of their long-time online acquintances.

Doesn't it seem at least possible that new posters do not always feel welcome on Candlekeep?

As it happens, I do believe that moderators I have seen here are too critical and too quick to lock threads. It is another thing which, for me, at least, contributes to an uncomfortable feeling at Candlekeep. I am interested in Realmslore and I don't know any other place where I can find as many Masters of it, but if I had any alternative, I doubt I would feel comfortable posting here. I always feel like I'm doing it on sufference, not being one of the moderators or their friends and not knowing what the actual rules are, since the Code of Conduct is little help.

If you want, I can track down several that have been locked not for being in violation of the Code of Conduct, but rather for being about subjects that someone has expressed concern that might in the future result in someone violating it.** I can find more where the moderators have found it necessary to warn posters (and thus implicitly stifled discourse) before anyone had even come close to violating anything or even shown an inclination to do so.

*Besides, if a question is not answered the first time, simply continuing to repeat it in a hectoring manner is rude. This is not controversial, is it? Whether engaged in a conversation with other people or simply walking around, there exists no duty to respond to questions from passerby. At the very least, rephrasing the question or even explaining why one wants to know would be better than peremptorily reminding people that "I still want this question answered", as if the wishes of the inquirer were divine law and the people ignoring it were in violation of some greater order.
**But which are not mentioned on the Forgotten Realms Subject Explanations.
Dennis Posted - 15 Feb 2012 : 04:14:39

Imaskar? I don't think so...
Jakk Posted - 15 Feb 2012 : 01:25:07
quote:

quote:

Why is it blue???

It may be due to you not closing a quote box properly. Sometimes, when I've left a quote box open myself, the entire post text format in enlarged and coloured in light blue.

I've been wondering why that happens to you, Sage. Stop deleting the quote-close tags. And if I'm quoting a long post in pieces to reply to specific points, I put in my break-quote tags before I start typing my own responses. I find it works really well for avoiding those missing tags. Anyway, back to topic... and my answer to the OP's question depends entirely on the period.

Pre-3E: Probably Cormyr, although I'm sure that there are southern or eastern nations that can contest that, such as Thay. Outside of Faerun in this time period, almost definitely Shou Lung, but I know even less about them than I do about the lands of southern or far eastern Faerun.

Between the Return of the Archwizards and the Spellplague: Probably Shade/Netheril.

After the Spellplague: I've only read the Campaign Guide and Player's Guide, and shortly after they came out, so I'm not really the best authority on this era. I'd say both Tymanther and Imaskar are serious competition for Netheril/Shade, and outside of Faerun, Returned Abeir is definitely a significant force.

I should add, in all time periods: Evermeet. They take their seclusion seriously, and defend it heavily, but I suspect that their military was stronger before the Spellplague than during or even after, simply because of what happened with the island.
The Sage Posted - 15 Feb 2012 : 01:16:42
quote:
Originally posted by Icelander

It's bad enough that the moderators are over-critical of the community at large, too quick to use their power and unforgivably rude, without some of them being actively hostile to anyone they perceive as not enjoying the Realms the 'right' way.
I'm not entirely sure where your antagonistic attitude toward agreed-to Candlekeep Forum etiquette [the Code of Conduct you agreed to abide by when you first registered here] has come from all of a sudden, Icelander.

I take my position here very seriously, and I don't appreciate being labelled as overly-critical, unforgivably rude, and actively hostile... at least not without legitimate reason. So, I would ask that you please provide evidence of these claims you make against me that clearly demonstrate exactly what you've said here about both myself and my conduction of moderation at Candlekeep.
The Sage Posted - 15 Feb 2012 : 01:08:06
quote:

Why is it blue???

It may be due to you not closing a quote box properly. Sometimes, when I've left a quote box open myself, the entire post text format is enlarged and coloured in light blue.
Imp Posted - 14 Feb 2012 : 23:15:26
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

I am glad that you have had some use or interest out of the discussion and I am profoundly sorry that a moderator found it necessary to use his inviolate position to badger you about it. That was vulgar and hurtful.

I sincerely hope that the undercurrent of elitist disapproval I detected in his repeated rude demands for 'an answer' from you, as if you had to defend your post to him, is
accidental on his behalf. It's bad enough that the moderators are over-critical of the community at large, too quick to use their power and unforgivably rude, without some of them being actively hostile to anyone they perceive as not enjoying the Realms the 'right' way.

I am not actively hostile to anyone, and you are very much reading into my question. When someone says that their own topic is silly and then pushes the discussion, asking why it's being pushed is a valid question.

You seem to be the only one who finds the moderators overly critical, too quick to use their power, and rude (many others have said we're too lenient). I have defended the rights of people to discuss things I personally dislike, I have avoided using my mod abilities as much as possible, and I try not to be rude unless someone is blatantly being hostile to me or to others. And even when people are being blatantly rude to me, I usually let it slide -- like the recent poll by a since banned troll asking if I was a "dbag."

You have a problem with me, take it up with me by PM. Or contact Big Al. Either way, your "the mods are such tyrants!" schtick has gotten old.

If we were so rude and abusive of our powers as you claim, your posts would have long since been deleted and your account locked.

Preach it brother! Mods here are super cool, although a bit too lenient.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 14 Feb 2012 : 22:01:42
quote:

I am glad that you have had some use or interest out of the discussion and I am profoundly sorry that a moderator found it necessary to use his inviolate position to badger you about it. That was vulgar and hurtful.

I sincerely hope that the undercurrent of elitist disapproval I detected in his repeated rude demands for 'an answer' from you, as if you had to defend your post to him, is
accidental on his behalf. It's bad enough that the moderators are over-critical of the community at large, too quick to use their power and unforgivably rude, without some of them being actively hostile to anyone they perceive as not enjoying the Realms the 'right' way.

I am not actively hostile to anyone, and you are very much reading into my question. When someone says that their own topic is silly and then pushes the discussion, asking why it's being pushed is a valid question.

You seem to be the only one who finds the moderators overly critical, too quick to use their power, and rude (many others have said we're too lenient). I have defended the rights of people to discuss things I personally dislike, I have avoided using my mod abilities as much as possible, and I try not to be rude unless someone is blatantly being hostile to me or to others. And even when people are being blatantly rude to me, I usually let it slide -- like the recent poll by a since banned troll asking if I was a "dbag."

You have a problem with me, take it up with me by PM. Or contact Big Al. Either way, your "the mods are such tyrants!" schtick has gotten old.

If we were so rude and abusive of our powers as you claim, your posts would have long since been deleted and your account locked.
Nicolai Withander Posted - 14 Feb 2012 : 21:51:49
Can we please stop the bagering of each other! I have no beef with Woolly nor the wish to offend him with my silence. I simple thought that his question was a retorical one!

Its a long story about the paladin, but he is LG and he is all for creating a good safe Waterdeep! With trading and such. If he was to be King of a large area it would be through politics and diplomacy! He is curretly building hospitals and a great cathedral to Lathander, so he is trying to "improve the lives of the inhabitants!
Imp Posted - 14 Feb 2012 : 21:07:09
quote:

I find it rude that Wooly's question was ignored. And also I find it rude that you bash Wooly for things that he didn't do. Overall your post is accusatory and rude.
Icelander Posted - 14 Feb 2012 : 20:51:53
quote:

OK... I try to answer it. Im still pushing the question because people here write such good and well thought criticism. What I mean is, that I can use this in our own game. I think its fascinating to read what people write.

You had every right to do so, and, in fact, the usage of fantasy settings for 'pointless' thought experiments is not in any way an 'invalid' use of them. I am glad that you have had some use or interest out of the discussion and I am profoundly sorry that a moderator found it necessary to use his inviolate position to badger you about it. That was vulgar and hurtful.

quote:

This is also part because the Paladin in our game has conquered Waterdeep, and now wants to run a more administrative game with taxes, export, import cost of war and invasions and defense of his lands. So I thought it was fun to hear what people thought of the idea since I know this player’s greatest wish would be to be King of Fearun. It also helps a lot with what he should focus on, and since none of us is officers in any military ( me being only a sergeant) we have a lot on "unknowns"...

Specifics are good.

What god does this paladin worship? Who are his companions and the most important people of his court?* What is his relationship with his closest neighbours and what, if anything, do more distant nations think of him?

While the course of action to be recommended depends a lot on the specifics involved, I can state that 'conquest' is not something that he ought to be focusing on.

For him to be 'King of Faerun', let him instead work toward making it better to live in his lands than anywhere else. Let him ally with everyone who shares his religious ideals and try to reach the best possibly modus vivendi with those who do not. Let him defend his subjects from the attacks of those who do not wish to live in peace. And let him build up a navy powerful enough for ships from his new kingdom to trade with not only his closer neighbours, but the world.

Just by trying to defend his realm, trade routes and allies; he'll find himself in no end of wars. And if he wins those wars, people who used to live in the wilderness next to the orcs and goblins or whatever he was fighting should find it more beneficial to live inside the kingdom than outside it.

Much like Rome, it should build roads, harbours, aquaducts, sewers and other infrastructure for the lands they more or less accidentally find themselves conquering. The kingdom should punish violent crime severely and treat raiding humanoids as either bandits or an outside enemy, depending on the size of the group, and execute or kill them in battle. This way, he makes the land-based trading routes safer and more popular, further increasing the prosperity of his citizens and the reach of his armies.

Friendly nations who envy the prosperity of the kingdom should be offered the chance to join it as a full and equal province, with rights equal to all other citizenf of the realm. Even if they do not, immigrants from those lands should be welcomed. If some nation refuses their citizens permission to leave and join you, protest in the strongest terms and declare that any man or woman who so desires shall be treated as a citizen and you will defend them as a knight is bound to defend those weaker than him. That way, if you are drawn into wars with nations who don't want to see you getting any more powerful, it will be for a Lawful and Good reason that a knight can present to his god without qualms.

You'll also want to do your best to create a cult of personality around your leader, as well as as many other leading citizens as you can. Anyone who genuinely is heroic or can convincingly behave heroically in public ought to be lionised, his deeds made into songs and bards paid to sing them throughout your own land and as many others as you can. If the songs are good enough, after a while, they'll sing whether you pay them or not.

Of course, your paladin leader must always appear the height of humility himself, attributing all glory to his god. If you an arrange for him to be ascetic without being fanatical, that is good. It would also be nice if he had some high-profile ministers from areas that have newly joined the kingdom, to show how opportunities are not monopolised by the original population and the realm is truly the homeland for all those who wish to live under the protective umbrella of [insert god's name, making sure that the common people often say the name of the paladin instead].

Celebrate any and all successes with great fanfare, spreading the credit freely to courageous soldiers, wise advisors and industrious merchants. The people of your realm will think you're humble and generous and the people living further away will attribute all glory to the King anyway, because they don't remember any of the other names.**

And yes, this all takes an eternity and can't really be hurried. In fact, 'King of Faerun' will probably be downgraded to 'Emperor of the Free Peoples of Sword, Axe and Bow, King of the North and Heartlands, Lord of [Dessarin] Vale and [Chiontar] River, Master of Mountains, Moors and Forests, Bey of Runlatha, Jarl of Illusk, High Lord of Luruar, Shield of the Nelanther, Defender of the Sea of Swords, Meisarch of Amn and Overlord of the Dragon Coast'. And that's still ample to do for a lifetime or ten.

Of course, scouring the eternal plague of the 'evil' humanoids from the North and the Heartlands will be considerably easier if the character can reconcile not treating them as people with his religion. If only the warriors of raiding humanoid bands are killed, the breeding population will replenish their numbers fairly rapidly, with the cycle of constant raiding punctuated by occasional terrible hordes being repeated endlessly. Viewing the orcs (and their ilk) as a curse on the land, not people in their own right, would allow a purposeful genocide of them, which would be the immense benefit of the dwarves, elves and humans of the North and Heartlands.

There is precedent of 'Good-aligned' people in the Realms pursuing such a course of action. Whether or not this is consistent with the ideals of your knight and his god, I do not know. All I know is that the problem of the orcs has so far not been amenable to any morally palatable solutions.

*Both abilities (only in the most general terms, such as race, class level, possibly adding any unique abilities or powerful magical items), personalities and their connections to the world at large, i.e. origin, contacts in other lands, cultural familiarities, etc.
**And while each individual hero is mentioned once, twice or maybe a couple of times, the King's name is on all proclaimations, his profile on all coins and his colours with every patrol of knights.
Artemas Entreri Posted - 14 Feb 2012 : 17:59:28
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

(snip)I find the notion to conquer fearun silly, (snip)

So if you think it's a silly idea, then why bring it up in the first place, and why continue pushing the discussion?

I still want this question answered.

Still waiting...

OK... I try to answer it. Im still pushing the question because people here write such good and well thought criticism. What I mean is, that I can use this in our own game. I think its fascinating to read what people write. This is also part because the Paladin in our game has conquered Waterdeep, and now wants to run a more administrative game with taxes, export, import cost of war and invasions and defense of his lands. So I thought it was fun to hear what people thought of the idea since I know this player’s greatest wish would be to be King of Fearun. It also helps a lot with what he should focus on, and since none of us is officers in any military ( me being only a sergeant) we have a lot on "unknowns"... Some of which have been put into the light throughout this thread. The statement "silly" was not because i thought the info on the subject was silly, but because that I felt myself that it would be damn hard, if not impossible. Well I maintain a conviction that in D&D nothing is impossible, but since my friend wants as much realism in his "war" campaign, i felt this was the right forum? I hope this aswers your question!

I never really figured Paladins as the "Conquering" type. Seems to go against their morals, code of honor, and such.
Nicolai Withander Posted - 14 Feb 2012 : 17:58:52
Why is it blue???
Nicolai Withander Posted - 14 Feb 2012 : 17:56:54
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

So if you think it's a silly idea, then why bring it up in the first place, and why continue pushing the discussion?

Still waiting...

OK... I try to answer it. Im still pushing the question because people here write such good and well thought criticism. What I mean is, that I can use this in our own game. I think its fascinating to read what people write. This is also part because the Paladin in our game has conquered Waterdeep, and now wants to run a more administrative game with taxes, export, import cost of war and invasions and defense of his lands. So I thought it was fun to hear what people thought of the idea since I know this player’s greatest wish would be to be King of Fearun. It also helps a lot with what he should focus on, and since none of us is officers in any military ( me being only a sergeant) we have a lot on "unknowns"... Some of which have been put into the light throughout this thread. The statement "silly" was not because i thought the info on the subject was silly, but because that I felt myself that it would be damn hard, if not impossible. Well I maintain a conviction that in D&D nothing is impossible, but since my friend wants as much realism in his "war" campaign, i felt this was the right forum? I hope this aswers your question!

_Jarlaxle_ Posted - 14 Feb 2012 : 16:37:00
I don't see your point but you allready got an answer to that...
quote:

I LOVE IT!!! Damn that is some very insightful posts indeed. Thanks!
Its so nice to see people actually taking time to answer with some well thought... answers!

Wooly Rupert Posted - 14 Feb 2012 : 16:12:05
quote:

quote:

quote:

Still waiting...
Matt James Posted - 14 Feb 2012 : 15:56:57
Too many factors to decide definitively. Fictionally, you can bend many of the variables. If anyone comes to Gen Con and wants to talk about it in person, let me know.
_Jarlaxle_ Posted - 14 Feb 2012 : 14:35:44
You are interpreting far to much into my statements (and you write far too much for me to keep interest into reading it all )
So just a few more notes:
-The question of this thread was what if you have an army of..., not is it possible to raise it (in secret)
-I still stand with my opinion that most people would just tag along with the new rulership, especially if they get benefits they didn't had before.
-The new ruler doesn't have to know what everyone is doing all the times. He just has to make sure that everyone follows his orders if he gives them which should be easy enough if everyone has enough fear.

Another point I just saw was your point about my sentence "make him a lich". I wasn't supposing to let the character doing the lich ritual after conquering something. I was saying "use liches instead of clerics or waht ever".
Another possibility would be using necromancers and zombiefying the whole population. Problem solved

In my personal opinion the only one so far with a good chance at world (even multiverse) domination would be Szass Tam because of his ritual if he succseds sometime.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000