Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Cross Promotion for Fantasy Authors

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Artemas Entreri Posted - 03 Nov 2011 : 14:38:19
We all know that there are MANY fantasy authors to choose from today when you scan through the shelves at your favorite bookstore. There is nothing worse than picking out a new book from a new author and being totally disappointed when you read it, assuming of course that you don't give up and throw the book against the wall.

This thread is designed to be a place where we can recommend authors to each other based on other authors in an "If...then..." sort of fashion. For example: If you liked JJJ JJJJ then you might also like YYY YYYY. The recommendations will just be suggestions from personal experience, but they might be a good way to help avoid some bad books in the future. Please share your suggestions and recommendations.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Artemas Entreri Posted - 14 Nov 2011 : 17:14:18
quote:
Originally posted by entreri3478

quote:
Originally posted by Farrel

Maybe just go for the positive experiences?

I think there's been a number of threads which have turned quite negative, towards authors, recently.

Just my personal opinion.

If anyone could point me in the direction of an author similar to George R R Martin that would be appreciated.

I have heard that Joe Abercrombie has a similar feel that Martin has. I haven't read anything by him yet but will actually start his book Best Served Cold after i finish the Black Prism.

Quick edit to my previous comment: I am now halfway through my first Joe Abercrombie book, Best Served Cold. I think he is a great enjoyable fantasy author and his style sort of reminds me of George R R Martin's in that it is very gritty and raw. One difference though is that Abercrombie's plot in this book is very linear and easy to follow; unlike Martin's books where there are tons of characters off doing different things.
Dennis Posted - 13 Nov 2011 : 17:17:43

To anyone who likes wizards as main characters [villains and heroes alike], I recommend The Black Magician Trilogy by Trudi Canavan. And I gather fans of rogues and thieves would enjoy it as well. The cast is big, but not exactly huge. Hence, Canavan manages to zoom into each character's life.

There are more than enough mysteries that would keep you guessing, and several twists that would surprise and leave you grinning. Just a word of caution, though, specially if you are also a fan [or ex-fan] of Brent Weeks, or are simply wont to hating an author or a book after seeing your favorite characters killed off [even if such deaths make sense].... In this series, certain deaths may be objectionable to some [type of] readers.
Markustay Posted - 12 Nov 2011 : 17:35:05
Sounds like precisely my cup of tea.

We are talking about a guy who ran GH like a very bad Xanth novel.
The Sage Posted - 12 Nov 2011 : 03:08:45
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

The other series I have been hearing raves about for some time is Discworld, and I will be tackling that next.
Terry Pratchett's DISCWORLD novels can be something of an acquired taste. Some readers aren't particularly keen on the "comedic fantasy" tropes he often plays with in his stories.

I adore them myself, but mainly because Terry often peppers his books with some many curious thoughts on such diverse topics as quantum physics and philosophy. Mind you, he treats us with insights into to so many other disciplines as well, that sometimes, it's almost like reading a fantastical textbook set in a fantasy world.
Markustay Posted - 12 Nov 2011 : 03:02:06
I have been hearing good things for years (this isn't the only site I am a bigmouth on).

I finally decided to take the plunge, and am glad I did. The other series I have been hearing raves about for some time is Discworld, and I will be tackling that next.

You know, by the way GoT flowed, and from what you tell me, its almost as if the setting itself is the main character, rather then the people. I think I can dig that.
Icelander Posted - 12 Nov 2011 : 00:42:13
quote:

Just finished R.R. Martin's Games of Thrones last night, thanks to many recommendations here at the 'Keep. Does it get better, worse, or stay the same? I have to admit, its rare when ANYTHINg can throw me a curve - I didn't see a lot of it coming (including the ending - I suspected something along those lines, but not THAT).

It is very likely that many things will stay the same. The tone does not get lighter, the subject matter does not become more juvenile and fates of characters, major and minor, do not get easier to predict.

On the other hand, the scope will only get larger, so if that turns you off, you might rethink your position. By the same token, the complexity is set to increase, with characters and plot elements introduced in the first book often remaining relevant while being joined by new ones at a prolific pace.

Martin was already an experienced and polished author at the start of the series, so the kind of kind of rapid improvement of basic writing skills visible in series like Harry Potter is not evident. On the other hand, having a background in the form of previous novels allows for a deeper understanding and familiarity of the characters and setting for the reader and thus, in my opinion, a more enjoyable reading experience. The emotional involvement grows with each book and the sorrows are more bitter while the sweet is even sweeter.

Each new book advances the understanding of the world and provides partial answers to the many mysteries lurking in the background. It is possible to read in order to follow the personal journeys of characters, but it is also possible to read on merely for the tidbits of ancient lore that promises to shed light on the arcane secrets behind the setting.

In short, if you can stop after the first book, I would be very surprised. I'd also be rather sad on your behalf.
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 11 Nov 2011 : 23:51:53
Hrm, I'll add a recommend for Piers Anthony- his NON-Xanth novels, mostly. Xanth is great if you can stand all the puns, but he's at his best when humor is only a side-dish, not the main course. Incarnations of Immortality is one of his best series. The Mode Series is also great, if a bit confusing at times. And his Phase/Proton books are a magnificent mix of fantasy/sci-fi. Just be prepared for a bit of "preachyness" in the Incarnations. (It's based on the Christian good/evil battle for human souls, after all.)
Markustay Posted - 11 Nov 2011 : 23:18:54
I'm just starting Elminster Must Die. Some of you may have heard of the author.

It was a choice between that and Archwizards - I had both in my hands - and then I noted the author of RotA, and I've had issues with his non-Realmsish writing before (VERY generic). So I get to avoid that series for a few more days.

quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

quote:
quote:

Does anyone read any of Richard Knaak's non-DL novels? I think they're some of the best out there, specially his Diablo and Warcraft.
I feel the same way about Christie Golden.

Heh. She made a whole lot of mess in Arthas.
I actually stopped playing Warcraft3 when the Arthus/human campaign concluded (I never played any of the other campaigns.) The entire storyline seemed rather pointless to me. If that's what Christie got hitched to, I can't say it was entirely her fault (although a great author should be able to take crap and make it enjoyable, regardless... I guess). When life gives you lemons, sometimes you just get stuck with some very bitter lemonade.

I also stopped playing WoW just before the Lich King expansion was added - that just shows you how much I HATED the Arthus story. I don't mind 'dark' - in fact, I'm rather fond of it, but that mess was just like "WHY?!"
Mandarb Carai an Caldazar Posted - 11 Nov 2011 : 21:35:50
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Mandarb Carai an Caldazar

I like Terry Brooks' works a great deal, I don't want to spoil anything: I figured out his stuff was post-apocalyptic many years ago. If you read chronologically he manages to continually create interesting characters without them becoming driving forces in the world. The magic in his books is appropriately ballanced between power and cost so as to not be a nuclear missle in everyone's possesion and the relative area his "world" covers continues to grow over time so there is a nice thread of discovery in there as well.

Your spoiler was revealed early on, in Elfstones, I believe, if not in Sword.

Was it? My sense of time and continuity is very very bad over and above one book everything tends to run together in my head, unfortunately that also applies to real life.
Dennis Posted - 11 Nov 2011 : 03:10:11
quote:
quote:

Does anyone read any of Richard Knaak's non-DL novels? I think they're some of the best out there, specially his Diablo and Warcraft.

Heh. She made a whole lot of mess in Arthas.
Artemas Entreri Posted - 10 Nov 2011 : 21:16:24
quote:

Just finished R.R. Martin's Games of Thrones last night, thanks to many recommendations here at the 'Keep. Does it get better, worse, or stay the same? I have to admit, its rare when ANYTHINg can throw me a curve - I didn't see a lot of it coming (including the ending - I suspected something along those lines, but not THAT).

I expected deaths that never came, and read deaths I never saw coming - kudos for such an 'out-of-the-box' approach to story telling.

quote:

FINALLY, a fantasy author who knows what Orcs have to endure - Lord of the Clans got my teary-eyed. I wish she had gotten a chance to write an Obould's kingdom novel, before 4e nuked them back into 'monsters'; she really gets them.

Keep reading the series, Martin gets better as the series progresses IMHO.
Markustay Posted - 10 Nov 2011 : 20:19:14

I expected deaths that never came, and read deaths I never saw coming - kudos for such an 'out-of-the-box' approach to story telling.

quote:

FINALLY, a fantasy author who knows what Orcs have to endure - Lord of the Clans got my teary-eyed. I wish she had gotten a chance to write an Obould's kingdom novel, before 4e nuked them back into 'monsters'; she really gets them.
Dennis Posted - 07 Nov 2011 : 08:32:15

I have been an "active guest" of the Wizards boards not until 2007. I can't really say though if such "rumor" came from the members or any of the guys from WotC. Memory's a bit hazy.
The Sage Posted - 07 Nov 2011 : 07:42:38
The only "rumour" I ever heard about that, back when I was rather prolific on the Wizards' boards, was that Knaak was too devoted to most of the DRAGONLANCE novels at the time, to work on much of anything else.

I'll note that this was during the 2002-2004 period.
Dennis Posted - 07 Nov 2011 : 05:16:58

I remember [albeit vaguely] reading that "rumor" in Wizards's board. Since it's their official site, then most likely there's truth in it.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 07 Nov 2011 : 04:19:07
quote:

quote:

quote:

I've read most of his Dragonrealm stuff. Some nifty ideas in there, but for some reason, I find myself getting bored with the series after a few books.

I've searched for that series, but couldn't find it at all. Perhaps it's published as limited edition?

I think they're just out of print, though I think some of them may be available in omnibus format. I know they were published late 80's to mid 90's, maybe a bit later.

quote:

Is it true that he was once asked to write for the Forgotten Realms and Magic: The Gathering? His contribution would have been much appreciated.

On this, I have no knowledge.
Dennis Posted - 07 Nov 2011 : 03:22:38
quote:

quote:

I've read most of his Dragonrealm stuff. Some nifty ideas in there, but for some reason, I find myself getting bored with the series after a few books.

I've searched for that series, but couldn't find it at all. Perhaps it's published as limited edition?

Is it true that he was once asked to write for the Forgotten Realms and Magic: The Gathering? His contribution would have been much appreciated.
The Sage Posted - 07 Nov 2011 : 02:41:55
quote:

It's something that is always on my "To-Do" list. But, unfortunately, I can never seem to find any copies here.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 07 Nov 2011 : 01:57:39
quote:

Dennis Posted - 06 Nov 2011 : 18:19:06

Quale Posted - 04 Nov 2011 : 20:15:37
quote:
Originally posted by entreri3478

What sub-genre of fantasy does she write?

well, the book I read is fantasy/alternate 15th century history (Carthage) about a mercenary group, then it turns SF
Artemas Entreri Posted - 04 Nov 2011 : 12:59:20
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Nah. The paperback edition of Erikson's books are newspaper quality. Grab the hardbound instead.

Hardcovers aren't really an option for me, especially when they're still so heavily priced here in Australia.

It's almost always paperbacks... unless they're authors I particularly favour, like Ed Greenwood, Terry Pratchett, or Neil Gaiman. Then I'll pay the often ridiculous price-tags for hardcovers.

Hardbound are also ridiculously priced here in the Philippines. But I still go for it, because paperbacks don't last that long, no matter how much I take care of them. I already replaced five FR paperbacks [and more than a dozen other books] because the spines were so wrinkled that the titles could hardly be read and the pages started to come loose.

However, if I am not sure that I will really like a book, [if it is just for sampling an author's work], I tend to grab its paperback edition. Which at times prove to be a more expensive habit because when I end up liking it, I would buy the hardbound edition after.

As for Erikson, it's worth buying hardbound.

All of my paperbacks still look brand new even if they are 25 years old, minus the natural page-yellowing of course.
Artemas Entreri Posted - 04 Nov 2011 : 12:58:07
quote:

quote:

Nah. The paperback edition of Erikson's books are newspaper quality. Grab the hardbound instead.

Hardcovers aren't really an option for me, especially when they're still so heavily priced here in Australia.

It's almost always paperbacks... unless they're authors I particularly favour, like Ed Greenwood, Terry Pratchett, or Neil Gaiman. Then I'll pay the often ridiculous price-tags for hardcovers.

I also go for the mass market paperback copy. It's tough to wait for the release after seeing the hardcover, but i can fit many more of them on my book shelves and can buy 4 paperbacks for every hardcover
Artemas Entreri Posted - 04 Nov 2011 : 12:51:30
quote:

I'll try to avoid author comparisons and just list the people I like and why that way everyone can make their own decisions.

I agree with Sage and Wooley, Weis and Hickman on the cover will get the book to the top of the "Ooooo let's read a couple of chapters" list and then I go from there.

Robin Hobb writes some compelling characters though I much prefered the Farseer books to her other works, mainly because of the characters.

I like Terry Brooks' works a great deal, I don't want to spoil anything: I figured out his stuff was post-apocalyptic many years ago. If you read chronologically he manages to continually create interesting characters without them becoming driving forces in the world. The magic in his books is appropriately ballanced between power and cost so as to not be a nuclear missle in everyone's possesion and the relative area his "world" covers continues to grow over time so there is a nice thread of discovery in there as well.

The final Wheel of Time book is finally on its way so my fingers are crossed that enough of the story gets resolved that I don't jump up in rage and throw the book through the nearest window. While highly character driven, the series tantalizes so much backstory that if Harriet (the late James Oliver Rigney's wife) were to allow it there could possibly be dozens more novels in the future based on different eras.

However, in between waiting for my most anticipated Realms novels my 2 favourite authors right now are Steven Erikson and his Malazan Book of the Fallen and Ian Cameron Esslemont and his Malazan Empire books. While related, the two series don't really interact as the purpose and driving force for each are different. If you're looking for something heavily character, philosophy, and pathos driven with immense ammounts of detail about the fictional universe and an interesting magic system I would go there.

Just my 2 coppers.

I recently read Esslemont's Night of Knives, and even though it was a little slow in the beginnning, it intrigued me enough to read the reast of his books. I have heard great things about Erikson too.
Dennis Posted - 04 Nov 2011 : 04:59:35
quote:

quote:

Hardbound are also ridiculously priced here in the Philippines. But I still go for it, because paperbacks don't last that long, no matter how much I take care of them. I already replaced five FR paperbacks [and more than a dozen other books] because the spines were so wrinkled that the titles could hardly be read and the pages started to come loose.

However, if I am not sure that I will really like a book, [if it is just for sampling an author's work], I tend to grab its paperback edition. Which at times prove to be a more expensive habit because when I end up liking it, I would buy the hardbound edition after.

As for Erikson, it's worth buying hardbound.
The Sage Posted - 04 Nov 2011 : 03:44:58
quote:

Wooly Rupert Posted - 04 Nov 2011 : 03:38:14
quote:

Your spoiler was revealed early on, in Elfstones, I believe, if not in Sword.
Markustay Posted - 04 Nov 2011 : 03:19:26
quote:

Except it wasn't as enjoyable.

quote:

I'm sure most of us have read the Dragonlance Chronicles and Legends trilogies...
Nope. Not a one.

As I have said, we all have differing tastes here. I have heard great things about Dragonlance (the novels), and yet, I can't get past certain aspects of the setting. That, and a very bad RPing experience with it.

I'd also recommend the Riverworld series - not precisely the kind of fantasy most of us are used to, but very good regardless. I already said how I like the 'alternate history' genre, and it doesn't get more 'alternate' then that setting. Those books make me want to put a paddlewheel riverboat in every setting I run.

The Chronicles of Amber and the World of Tiers are also both excellent series, especially for the planer buff. The second series was actually inspired by the first (the author says so in the preface), despite being different writers (and they could easily exist within the same universe, along with Moorcock/Elric and MtG).

I highly recommend The Throne of Bones if you like dark... its REALLY DARK.
One word of caution: VERY adult content (disturbing adult content).
Dennis Posted - 04 Nov 2011 : 03:09:19

Mandarb Carai an Caldazar Posted - 04 Nov 2011 : 02:16:54
quote:

I really need to read these "Malazan" books. Every time I hear them mentioned in conversation about fantasy authors, I'm left wanting to know more.

Well, Sage, I couldn't recommend them more highly to any fan of fantasy settings. You'd need to be settled in for a long haul though, the dimensions on the trade paperback versions are 800 - 1100pgs(ish), 6" X 9", with a fairly small type, very long but enjoyable reads.

Also, I got so caught up in the Malazan books I forgot to mention Raymond Feist, I haven't yet come up with anything bad to say about any of his books.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000