Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Looking for an FR adventure with lots of intrigue

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Afetbinttuzani Posted - 13 Sep 2009 : 02:33:50
Hi, all.

I'm looking for an FR adventure that's heavy on intrigue. We're playing 4E rules, but I'm willing to adapt a module from any edition. I've adapted a few 2E adventures already with no difficulty. This particular group has very limited experience with the Realms, so an adventure with introductory value would also be good. I have a rough preference for levels 4-10.

Feel free to suggest any adventure but, if possible, I'd like a one or two sentence plot summary, and your take on what you like about the adventure.

Cheers,
19   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Afetbinttuzani Posted - 19 Sep 2009 : 18:56:27
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

I read through Storm Season again last night. Its not among the longest of adventures, but it can easily be expanded with a more complex intrigue if needed. As it stands it should last for about three sessions, but a lot would depend on the playing style of those involved.

That shouldn't be an issue.

quote:
One thing I should mention though, if you are playing after the time-leap you may have to do some changes as the rulership of Myrmeen Lhall is an important part of the plot.

Actually, in that campaign I'm playing 4E rules in the the 2E Realms. So timeline isn't an issue.
Jorkens Posted - 19 Sep 2009 : 09:14:32
I read through Storm Season again last night. Its not among the longest of adventures, but it can easily be expanded with a more complex intrigue if needed. As it stands it should last for about three sessions, but a lot would depend on the playing style of those involved.

One thing I should mention though, if you are playing after the time-leap you may have to do some changes as the rulership of Myrmeen Lhall is an important part of the plot.

A ranger or druid is helpful, but not mandatory.
Afetbinttuzani Posted - 18 Sep 2009 : 21:11:19
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

As long as we are mentioning Dungeon I would like to point out Storm Season in Dungeon #61.

Murder, Zentharim and Night Parade in Arabel. Need I say more?

thanks, Jorkens. IŽll check that out. That could work very well, since the PCs are in Daggerdale and IŽve been looking for a way to get them to go through Arabel.
Jorkens Posted - 18 Sep 2009 : 11:29:39
As long as we are mentioning Dungeon I would like to point out Storm Season in Dungeon #61.

Murder, Zentharim and Night Parade in Arabel. Need I say more?
coach Posted - 18 Sep 2009 : 01:57:55
perhaps you could run The Pool of Radiance

the mystery of a good dragon possessed by an evil being would bewilder the PCs which will make them think before just hack/slash gaming
Afetbinttuzani Posted - 16 Sep 2009 : 16:57:58
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by bladeinAmn

I've heard also good stuff about this adventure that Eric L. Boyd made a number of years ago, named Eye of Myrkul, if I'm not mistaken. I don't know how to obtain it though. Perhaps someone here might know.
It's a DUNGEON-published adventure, from issue #73. Nobleknight.com had second-hand copies available as well, when I last checked.

Thanks to both of you. I'll definitely check this out.
The Sage Posted - 16 Sep 2009 : 08:00:50
quote:
Originally posted by bladeinAmn

I've heard also good stuff about this adventure that Eric L. Boyd made a number of years ago, named Eye of Myrkul, if I'm not mistaken. I don't know how to obtain it though. Perhaps someone here might know.
It's a DUNGEON-published adventure, from issue #73. Nobleknight.com had second-hand copies available as well, when I last checked.
bladeinAmn Posted - 16 Sep 2009 : 07:26:42
My favorite FR sourcebook is none other than the 2e Lands of Intrigue, available for free download here:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/downloads

Matt James Posted - 14 Sep 2009 : 22:55:43
*cough* There appears to be a 4e Realms adventure coming out next week. Might be up to your specs. It's level 13 however; if that works for you ;)
Wooly Rupert Posted - 14 Sep 2009 : 21:06:04
quote:
Originally posted by Afetbinttuzani

Any more ideas out there?

I'm interested not only in intrigue but also puzzles and conundrums and opportunities for role play. This is a mature group that is interested in mystery and interaction over whacking and slashing.

Again, check out some of the adventure hooks Kuje and I came up with for the Candlekeep Compendium! I'd say that more than a few of them are mysterious in nature.
Afetbinttuzani Posted - 14 Sep 2009 : 15:56:36
Any more ideas out there?

I'm interested not only in intrigue but also puzzles and conundrums and opportunities for role play. This is a mature group that is interested in mystery and interaction over whacking and slashing.
Hoondatha Posted - 13 Sep 2009 : 21:39:20
I'd say Return happens several years after Doom, but yes, otherwise I agree completely. I was actually playing in the first of that series (Sword) here at the Keep, before the DM had to abandon the game.

Either of those two would work well, I think, since you can have as much intrigue as you want between the PC's and all the power groups struggling in Daggerdale. If you want to give your players a bit more leeway, and want to involve the Harpers, you could even have Storm give them a really open-ended mission, like "Go do what you can to evict the Zhents," and then see what they come up with.
Afetbinttuzani Posted - 13 Sep 2009 : 20:48:00
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

The first adventure I ever played in the Realms was called Doom of Daggerdale. It's set for 1st level characters and is, in part, an introduction to the occupied farming dale of Daggerdale.

[snip] I always thought it would be fun to run a sort of court intrigue/double agent campaign with the PC's working for Randal and the Harpers in trying to free the dale from the inside. The Zhents are too strong for a single group of adventurers to dislodge, but they could be weakened and distracted, patrols sent on ambushes, things like that, while at the same time the PC's try to mitigate the effect of the occupation on the innocent townsfolk.

Thanks for the great summary and excellent Ideas!

As it turns out, I'm actually running a 4E adaptation of the 2E Sword of the Dales trilogy right now with another group. The trilogy happens, if I recall correctly, about a year after the events of Doom of Daggerdale. As you suggested, I'm involving the Harpers, who have a keen interest in having Randal Morn retake Daggerdale and drive out the Zhents. One of the PC's is secretly a Harper. I've added to the mix, the beginning of second Banedeath inquisition in Zhentil Keep. Wishing to seize on the opportunity presented by the internal divisions in Zhentil Keep, the Harpers want to find the missing Randal Morn as quickly as possible and mount an attempt to retake Dagger Falls. But, at the same time, the Arch-Shadow, Gothyl, is trying to use Randal and the PCs to ascend to Demi-Shade status. There's lots of good intrigue and role play in this adventure.

I suppose I could run it again for the other group.
Hoondatha Posted - 13 Sep 2009 : 18:27:57
The first adventure I ever played in the Realms was called Doom of Daggerdale. It's set for 1st level characters and is, in part, an introduction to the occupied farming dale of Daggerdale.

The adventure itself is pretty standard, and would be easy enough to convert, both to 4e and to a more powerful party. The basic plot is that the people of the dale are falling into a slumber from which they cannot awaken, and the PC's have to track it down. There's a side quest to some abandoned dwarf delving above the town and finally culminating in a battle beneath the destroyed temple of Lathander with an ancient, resurrected Morn wizard.

The intrigue bit comes both from the fact that the town and much of the countryside is occupied by the evil Zhents, with the proper ruler an outlaw in the woods, and from an idea I've had since I reread the adventure a couple of years ago. Both Randal (the good lord) and the Zhents end up asking the PC's to investigate, and when they succeed, it would be possible to parlay that success into working for the Zhent garrison. I always thought it would be fun to run a sort of court intrigue/double agent campaign with the PC's working for Randal and the Harpers in trying to free the dale from the inside. The Zhents are too strong for a single group of adventurers to dislodge, but they could be weakened and distracted, patrols sent on ambushes, things like that, while at the same time the PC's try to mitigate the effect of the occupation on the innocent townsfolk.
IngoDjan Posted - 13 Sep 2009 : 17:39:45
It's a book that Cyric "made" (actually he made scribes to make) and after a 100 or so tries a human girl was forced to do a this try works.
Who read the book or listen it's words becomes a Cyricist. Mainly that, but a lot of more.
Read the Prince of Lies and Cricible: The try of Cyric the Mad. I1am sure you will like it.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 13 Sep 2009 : 06:08:57
You could always find some nifty adventure hooks in the Candlekeep Compendium.
The Sage Posted - 13 Sep 2009 : 05:31:40
quote:
Originally posted by Afetbinttuzani

quote:
Originally posted by IngoDjan

I particularlyl like Cyrinishad history for intrigue. Cyric fooling the gods, Oghma fooling Cyric, and everything else a great campaigns with intrigues. I use it a lot in last 5 years and always make some player a Cyrinishad reader.

You probably know the history. I think that is a great way of show the players the influence of the Gods in Faerun and how they act to make their plans.

Actually, no, I'm not familiar with the Cyrinishad. Could you give me some more information, both in terms of plot and in terms of publication.

You'll likely want to read through the entries for the main characters from the novels [Prince of Lies and Crucible: The Trial of Cyric the Mad] in both the Heroes' and Villains' Lorebooks. And, especially, the entry for "The Cyrinishad" in the first source. The second tome is available as a free PDF download at WotC.
Afetbinttuzani Posted - 13 Sep 2009 : 03:35:53
quote:
Originally posted by IngoDjan

I particularlyl like Cyrinishad history for intrigue. Cyric fooling the gods, Oghma fooling Cyric, and everything else a great campaigns with intrigues. I use it a lot in last 5 years and always make some player a Cyrinishad reader.

You probably know the history. I think that is a great way of show the players the influence of the Gods in Faerun and how they act to make their plans.

Actually, no, I'm not familiar with the Cyrinishad. Could you give me some more information, both in terms of plot and in terms of publication.
IngoDjan Posted - 13 Sep 2009 : 02:54:19

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000