Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Where is Presper?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Gang Falconhand Posted - 21 Jun 2009 : 08:30:30
I might be being a complete Grimlock but I can't see Presper marked anywhere on the map and it's not listed in the index of the FRCS. All I do know is that the predominant temple to Leira is/was there (as per 2E Faiths & Avatars). It sounds familiar, and I thought it was somewhere on the Sea of Fallen Stars, but I probably made that up (in true Leiran fashion).

Any help guys?
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
The Sage Posted - 21 Jun 2009 : 17:02:29
Speaking of Prespur...

I once ran a fairly entertaining campaign on the nearby smaller island, called Traitor's Isle. It's home to the magically-sealed Tower of Stars... former base of the exiled Royal Wizard Jorunhast Kingslayer.

'Twas the perfect locale for an adventure based around Prespur.
The Sage Posted - 21 Jun 2009 : 16:57:46
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Sage, can I ask where you got those two other town names from?

As Hoondatha referenced above, both names came from Sea of Fallen Stars -- pg. 11.
Hoondatha Posted - 21 Jun 2009 : 16:40:17
Funny, I was looking up this stuff just last night. I was trying to decide what route I wanted the Deep Road to take, and where it should go under the Sea of Fallen Stars. I ended up deciding it should go northwest from the Great Rift, under the Vilhon Reach, to Ironfang, then north, cutting across the mouth of the western spur of the sea, just east of Selgaunt before going north to Glen. It was attractive both because it was fairly narrow, and because there was a sizable island right in the middle of the mouth, which meant the Road wouldn't have to dive really deep for too long.

Problem was, I couldn't find the name of that island. Pirates of the Fallen Stars didn't have it, and it wasn't on any maps I had. Finally I looked in Sea of Fallen Stars and identified it as Prespur. Its write-up in SoFS includes mention of the two towns that Sage mentioned.

And I wouldn't go so far as to create a whole new town just because someone switched out a u for an e. Just chalk it up as some distant scribe's mistake and move on. Every once and a while we get a little too obsessed with the details around here.
Murray Leeder Posted - 21 Jun 2009 : 16:36:49
If you check Son of Thunder you will discover a tiny reference to Mistkeep in Geildarr Ithym's mouth. Similarly puzzled, I had Geildarr say that he didn't know where it was.
Markustay Posted - 21 Jun 2009 : 15:04:58
The other 'large' island to it's east was once called 'Earthspur', but is now know as the Dragon Isle, and is the main base of the Pirates.

I only mention that because it was closer to Prespur on 1e maps, and they appeared to be a pair ('Pur' must mean Island or something similar in some ancient dialect).

The Mistkeep reference sounds familiar - I'm sure I've come across that name elsewhere (and it might shed some light on this). Personally, I'd just say 'Presper' is the name of some 'neutral' town that has been on the island for ages, independent of any nation.

Of course, that makes Prespur a VERY interesting place in 4e.

Sage, can I ask where you got those two other town names from?
The Sage Posted - 21 Jun 2009 : 12:52:17
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

What you are looking for is the island of Prespur which is the westernmost isle of that grouping known collectively as the Pirate Isles (although Prespur is not counted as one of them). It is a part of Cormyr and the site of their largest naval base as I recall.
'Tis Palaggar. There's a small Sembian settlement as well, IIRC. It's called Uarhold.
Gang Falconhand Posted - 21 Jun 2009 : 11:50:44
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

The reason you can't find it in the index is because Presper was a wizard and member of that mage cabal known as the Covenant.

What you are looking for is the island of Prespur which is the westernmost isle of that grouping known collectively as the Pirate Isles (although Prespur is not counted as one of them). It is a part of Cormyr and the site of their largest naval base as I recall.

-- George Krashos

Thanks!

So the section in Faiths & Avatars that says "the Mistkeep IN Presper" is a mistake? Since the island is mispelled and surely it should read 'ON Prespur'?
George Krashos Posted - 21 Jun 2009 : 09:04:44
The reason you can't find it in the index is because Presper was a wizard and member of that mage cabal known as the Covenant.

-- George Krashos

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000