Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Where is Presper?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Gang Falconhand
Seeker

United Kingdom
85 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2009 :  08:30:30  Show Profile  Visit Gang Falconhand's Homepage Send Gang Falconhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I might be being a complete Grimlock but I can't see Presper marked anywhere on the map and it's not listed in the index of the FRCS. All I do know is that the predominant temple to Leira is/was there (as per 2E Faiths & Avatars). It sounds familiar, and I thought it was somewhere on the Sea of Fallen Stars, but I probably made that up (in true Leiran fashion).

Any help guys?

"If you have a quality let it define you."

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6662 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2009 :  09:04:44  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The reason you can't find it in the index is because Presper was a wizard and member of that mage cabal known as the Covenant.

What you are looking for is the island of Prespur which is the westernmost isle of that grouping known collectively as the Pirate Isles (although Prespur is not counted as one of them). It is a part of Cormyr and the site of their largest naval base as I recall.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Gang Falconhand
Seeker

United Kingdom
85 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2009 :  11:50:44  Show Profile  Visit Gang Falconhand's Homepage Send Gang Falconhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

The reason you can't find it in the index is because Presper was a wizard and member of that mage cabal known as the Covenant.

What you are looking for is the island of Prespur which is the westernmost isle of that grouping known collectively as the Pirate Isles (although Prespur is not counted as one of them). It is a part of Cormyr and the site of their largest naval base as I recall.

-- George Krashos

Thanks!

So the section in Faiths & Avatars that says "the Mistkeep IN Presper" is a mistake? Since the island is mispelled and surely it should read 'ON Prespur'?

"If you have a quality let it define you."
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2009 :  12:52:17  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

'Tis Palaggar. There's a small Sembian settlement as well, IIRC. It's called Uarhold.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2009 :  15:04:58  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The other 'large' island to it's east was once called 'Earthspur', but is now know as the Dragon Isle, and is the main base of the Pirates.

I only mention that because it was closer to Prespur on 1e maps, and they appeared to be a pair ('Pur' must mean Island or something similar in some ancient dialect).

The Mistkeep reference sounds familiar - I'm sure I've come across that name elsewhere (and it might shed some light on this). Personally, I'd just say 'Presper' is the name of some 'neutral' town that has been on the island for ages, independent of any nation.

Of course, that makes Prespur a VERY interesting place in 4e.

Sage, can I ask where you got those two other town names from?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 21 Jun 2009 15:06:09
Go to Top of Page

Murray Leeder
Forgotten Realms Author

Canada
228 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2009 :  16:36:49  Show Profile  Visit Murray Leeder's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If you check Son of Thunder you will discover a tiny reference to Mistkeep in Geildarr Ithym's mouth. Similarly puzzled, I had Geildarr say that he didn't know where it was.
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2009 :  16:40:17  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Funny, I was looking up this stuff just last night. I was trying to decide what route I wanted the Deep Road to take, and where it should go under the Sea of Fallen Stars. I ended up deciding it should go northwest from the Great Rift, under the Vilhon Reach, to Ironfang, then north, cutting across the mouth of the western spur of the sea, just east of Selgaunt before going north to Glen. It was attractive both because it was fairly narrow, and because there was a sizable island right in the middle of the mouth, which meant the Road wouldn't have to dive really deep for too long.

Problem was, I couldn't find the name of that island. Pirates of the Fallen Stars didn't have it, and it wasn't on any maps I had. Finally I looked in Sea of Fallen Stars and identified it as Prespur. Its write-up in SoFS includes mention of the two towns that Sage mentioned.

And I wouldn't go so far as to create a whole new town just because someone switched out a u for an e. Just chalk it up as some distant scribe's mistake and move on. Every once and a while we get a little too obsessed with the details around here.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2009 :  16:57:46  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Sage, can I ask where you got those two other town names from?

As Hoondatha referenced above, both names came from Sea of Fallen Stars -- pg. 11.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2009 :  17:02:29  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Speaking of Prespur...

I once ran a fairly entertaining campaign on the nearby smaller island, called Traitor's Isle. It's home to the magically-sealed Tower of Stars... former base of the exiled Royal Wizard Jorunhast Kingslayer.

'Twas the perfect locale for an adventure based around Prespur.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000