Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Mistress of the Night

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Stout Heart Posted - 10 Dec 2008 : 15:52:11
Is there a full list of Shar's thirteen lies any where?
19   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Zanan Posted - 12 Dec 2008 : 01:16:01
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

quote:
Originally posted by Zanan

WHAT is the problem with my reply!?
Zanan, I apologize if you took my post as some sort of insult. ...
Sorry if you took that badly in any way - I meant NO disrespect.

Easy, Markustay. I'd never have used smileys if I had taken it that serious or disrespectful. Point is, I know Shar primarily as "Nightsinger" or "Mistress of Night" and never noted that there is actually, much like in the novel title, a "the" in the latter alias. Hence I was only thinking of the novel. But of course I am flattered that you thought of a "mental jump" when commenting on my article.

The Sage-fixed* Zanan!

The Sage Posted - 11 Dec 2008 : 23:03:17
The Sage casts Find Topic.
Sian Posted - 11 Dec 2008 : 20:58:10
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

quote:

...very precise with my spelling (which is why I go back and corrrect so many of my posts later on)...

Oh, that is a great one!

yeah ... give that man another spellchecker ... the one he's using is broke from the looks of it :p
Stout Heart Posted - 11 Dec 2008 : 19:51:09
Ok ok give my grammar and spelling a break I'm a puncher not a poet.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 11 Dec 2008 : 19:43:10
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

quote:

...very precise with my spelling (which is why I go back and corrrect so many of my posts later on)...

Oh, that is a great one!
Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 11 Dec 2008 : 18:41:29
quote:

Markustay Posted - 11 Dec 2008 : 17:08:11
quote:

WHAT is the problem with my reply!?
Zanan, I apologize if you took my post as some sort of insult. It was aimed at the post directly preceeding mine - by Stout Heart (the OP) - who not only used the word 'tenths' instead of tenets, but the line should have read "the tenets of their goddess", not "the tenths of there goddess", but the second point was minor so I didn't point it out.

I was part of another site that had a very large international membership, and learned to be very precise with my spelling (which is why I go back and corrrect so many of my posts later on). I have no idea how 'handy' some of the scribes here are with English, but on that site many members used translation apps to read the posts of others, so we all had to learn to be very precise with our spelling out of politeness, rather then just being a bunch of "Grammar Nazis" (NO pun intended there).

I was correcting him, just in case you were using such a program (which I doubt, but you never know).

As for the confusion - he was asking about a list, and you gave an answer pertaining to a novel - it was a bit of a 'mental jump', and thats why we were both like "huh?"

Sorry if you took that badly in any way - I meant NO disrespect.
Stout Heart Posted - 11 Dec 2008 : 17:00:54
quote:

quote:

I'm confused as well, but I believe the word you were trying to use there is 'tenets', not tenths.

Zanan is German, so there could be some traslation problems with mispellings.

WHAT is the problem with my reply!? I did not mention anything about tenets or tenth or truth or whatever, just said what can be found ... or rather not be found in Mistress of Night*. The only thing that could be misleading is the title of the book itself, as it is about a Selūnite priestess. Though, on hindsight, the OP may not have looked at the novel, but just gave an alias of Shar to start his/her thread.

* "Mistress of Night" @ Amazon

Mod Edit: Cast Shorten URL.

And that's where we got mixed up I didn't know mistress of the night was a book I was just using it to refer to Shar.

And for the record is says so much about us that well all know the Sith doctorate by heart lol.
Lord Karsus Posted - 11 Dec 2008 : 16:39:11
-Figured. Most of F&P is reprinted from F&A/P&P/DD.
Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 11 Dec 2008 : 13:47:29
quote:
Originally posted by Dagnirion

-That's from Faiths & Avatars, and presumably reprinted in Faiths & Pantheons.

Thank you sir! I just checked my copy and it is the Dogma listed on page 58 of Faiths & Pantheons.
Zanan Posted - 11 Dec 2008 : 09:24:49
quote:

I'm confused as well, but I believe the word you were trying to use there is 'tenets', not tenths.

WHAT is the problem with my reply!? I did not mention anything about tenets or tenth or truth or whatever, just said what can be found ... or rather not be found in Mistress of Night*. The only thing that could be misleading is the title of the book itself, as it is about a Selūnite priestess. Though, on hindsight, the OP may not have looked at the novel, but just gave an alias of Shar to start his/her thread.

* "Mistress of Night" @ Amazon

Mod Edit: Cast Shorten URL.
Lord Karsus Posted - 11 Dec 2008 : 04:54:38
-That's from Faiths & Avatars, and presumably reprinted in Faiths & Pantheons.
Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 11 Dec 2008 : 03:34:20
quote:
Originally posted by Dagnirion

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall set me free.

-Whoops. Wrong WotC RPG game...

-No, I do not believe that there is an actual list anywhere, but such a thing would be fun to make up.

Aww... You can't post the Sith code without the obligatory Jedi code!

There is no emotion, there is peace.
There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.
There is no passion, there is serenity.
There is no chaos, there is harmony.
There is no death, there is the Force.

Anyway, got this (dogma) off the Forgotten Realms Wikipedia. I believe it's from one of the novels

Reveal secrets only to fellow members of the faithful.
Never follow hope or turn to promises of success.
Quench the light of the moon (agents and items of Selūne) whenever you find it, and hide from it when you cannot prevail.
The dark is a time to act, not wait.
It is forbidden to strive to better your lot in life or to plan ahead save when directly overseen by the faithful of the Dark Deity.
Consorting with the faithful of good deities is a sin except in business dealings or to corrupt them from their beliefs.
Obey and never speak out against ranking clergy unless it would result in your own death.
Lord Karsus Posted - 11 Dec 2008 : 03:01:27
Lie #1: In the end, there will only be Chris Perkins...

-No, that's not it.

Tenet #1: In the end, there is nothing, only the eternal void.

Tenet #2: Attachment weakens the soul. It is only through disassociation that a being can overcome.
The Sage Posted - 10 Dec 2008 : 22:50:43
Heh. The Sith Code is kinda an interesting fit though, when you consider how the Sith do actually lie to themselves about their power.

That aside, I wouldn't mind seeing a listing of the 13 lies myself. Though, I'd think I would want them vague, rather than specific... to reflect Shar's overall dogma.
Lord Karsus Posted - 10 Dec 2008 : 22:09:48
Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall set me free.

-Whoops. Wrong WotC RPG game...

-No, I do not believe that there is an actual list anywhere, but such a thing would be fun to make up.
Markustay Posted - 10 Dec 2008 : 21:18:25

Stout Heart Posted - 10 Dec 2008 : 20:17:09
wait that confused me let me clarify. In the twilight war the frequently mention the thirteen truths of Shar. Unless I mistaken these are the tenets of thier goddess. Like the one that's often repeated through out the series " Only hate endures". That's what I was referring to, I was under the assumption that the leaves of one night which your referring to belonged to what was called the book to be made whole. If I understand you correctly the thirteen truths of shar is an actual novel that tells the tale of the leaves one night and book to be made whole?
Zanan Posted - 10 Dec 2008 : 16:30:53
No ... it is essentially a novel about a priestess of Selūne who opposes of one Sharran priestess of Shade. In that book, the "Leaves of One Night" are retrieved, pages from the book that later on is needed to call the Shadowstorm.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000