Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Candlekeep is real?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Genis Posted - 06 Dec 2008 : 10:48:43
This may not be entirerly the correct category to place this thread into but so I was looking at a map of the realms the other day and low and behold there is an actually candlekeep on the sword coast or whatever...may it be my never ending ignorance but I was under the impression candlekeep was more or less fictional "applying to the realms that is" and didn't exist in the actually setting or whatever. I had assumed it was a made up library/inn for people like us to hang out in...but like I said, to my suprise and excitement its not, it was on the map.

Mod Edit: Shifted to a more appropriate shelf.
14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Lord Karsus Posted - 09 Dec 2008 : 03:53:31
-The there's, of course, Dragons of Faerūn list o' Dragons, complete with "ghost Dragon of Candlekeep" mentions.
Alisttair Posted - 09 Dec 2008 : 01:06:57
Also, in the 3.5 adventure Anauroch (which follows Cormyr and Shadowdale), it suggests a visit to Candlekeep, with some information provided.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 08 Dec 2008 : 14:47:18
That kind of background does let you assume your character had a top-notch education.
Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 08 Dec 2008 : 14:41:01
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

Not to mention, of course, that Baldur's Gate (the computer game) starts off in Candlekeep and makes a substantial detour there at one point.

Cheers

Yup, the PC of that game grew up in Candlekeep, so for him or her, it's home.

Now that you mention it, that effected how I played the character. I based the roleplaying choices in the game off a naive librarian-type. Even though he was technically a ranger...
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 08 Dec 2008 : 14:14:58
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

Not to mention, of course, that Baldur's Gate (the computer game) starts off in Candlekeep and makes a substantial detour there at one point.

Cheers

Yup, the PC of that game grew up in Candlekeep, so for him or her, it's home.
Ayunken-vanzan Posted - 07 Dec 2008 : 07:25:45
Most interesting. The secret "mirror library" is mentioned in the FRCS without more specific information, so your lore may be actually be very close to real facts.
Markustay Posted - 07 Dec 2008 : 01:12:43

I haven't seen Alaundo post in this scroll.

Anyhow, I found a mention somwhere that there are FOUR great libraries in the Realms - it may have been in the info on the one in Impiltur - and Candlekeep was just one of those four (and the most famous).

In my homebrew lore, I have it where the library of Perpustakaan (Ronin Challege) is the secret, back-up library for Candlekeep. It is an enormous repository of the TRUE history of the Shou Empire (most of which is hidden or changed in the 'official histories'), and contains every bit of knowledge accumulated in Shou-Lung's long history. Coupling that old piece of canon lore with the new stuff about Anok-Imaskar, that means that there is probably quite a lot in there regarding Imaskar as well.

It's so secret, even the Shou Empire is unaware of it (and yet the scholars there still somehow maintain an up-to-date record of things).

Thats all canon - I only added the part about it being 'Candlekeep East', because it just fits so well.
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 06 Dec 2008 : 22:16:47

Cheers
Sian Posted - 06 Dec 2008 : 21:54:42
... one of my former characters was a N Elvish Diviner/lorekeeper which was mad at the ruling body of Candlekeep for not being open enough about letting people borrow and read thier books and was running around most of the northwesten part of Faerun under different aliases trying to install hatred against Candlekeep, and get his hands on books for opening a rivaling Library ... he wasn't to shy away from anything if it lowered the status of Candlekeep or ment that he could get more books for his (to be opened) rivaling Library, which would have much more lax rules ... the books is at the moment placed in a couple of modified "portable Hole"s, which is modified the way that you can get the book you want just the same way as the Harvy Handy Heaversack works
The Sage Posted - 06 Dec 2008 : 15:13:23
Oh, and, there's a couple of Ed's replies that deal with Candlekeep as well. Search the "So Saith Ed" archives through my the link in my signature.
Gelcur Posted - 06 Dec 2008 : 15:02:28
If I remember my lore correctly, there is also a myth of a duplicate library hidden away somewhere else in the Realms. Maintained as a back up.
Brynweir Posted - 06 Dec 2008 : 14:57:56
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Candlekeep has been in a couple of novels, too. I think Elfshadow may have been the first novel it appeared in.

Indeed. I like the description and role of Candlekeep in Crucible: The Trial of Cyric the Mad. Those Cyricists just LOVE the keepers of knowledge .
Wooly Rupert Posted - 06 Dec 2008 : 14:53:36
Candlekeep has been in a couple of novels, too. I think Elfshadow may have been the first novel it appeared in.
The Sage Posted - 06 Dec 2008 : 11:14:18
Candlekeep is indeed a real location within the Realms. 'Twas originally Alaundo's citadel, and his followers maintained it after his death.

You can learn more about Candlekeep in Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast, "Introduction to Candlekeep" by Ed Greenwood [on Candlekeep.com's Main Site], the 1993 Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting, and "Candlekeep: Bringing the Fabled Castle to Life" [from DRAGON #255]. The latter article is based on the treatment in the Baldur's Gate CRPG, which is isn't canonical [though, note that BG novels are], but the information is decent and unlikely to be contradicted in the near future.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000