Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The REAL reason for Mystra's death

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Alisttair Posted - 12 Nov 2008 : 16:49:03
I have it all figured out, ladies and gents.
Mystra has been killed in order to bring about the new God of Magic, which will arrive shortly along with 5E D&D.

With Netheril back and its glroy returning, I give to you, the new Deity of Magic.............KARSUS!!!!!!

30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
sfdragon Posted - 15 Nov 2008 : 01:01:01
the real reason mystra died, because someone or someones griped to much and the devs got tired of it and offed her, personally, i wished cyric would of died in dweomerheart along with her in a cruel jest of irony.

but no, they couldnt even say AO let out some gas from his nether section.....

Oh all powerful and knowing The SAge, i think the topic is gone, but it may just be me.

Dinner Time
The Sage Posted - 14 Nov 2008 : 23:29:04
Ahem. Maybe we could find our ways back to the topic, eh?
Lord Karsus Posted - 14 Nov 2008 : 19:38:54
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

Don't forget humble. Aye, a real meek one, that archmage is! Why, just the other da- *ZOT*

-When you've got it, flaunt it.
MerrikCale Posted - 14 Nov 2008 : 19:38:36
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

-Do you need a big hug? Candlekeep group hug for Merrick!

BRIMSTONE

alright, which one of you clowns grabbed me inappropriately?
Lord Karsus Posted - 14 Nov 2008 : 19:38:13
quote:
Originally posted by Kilvan

and dead

-No, not dead. Pesudo-dead, pseudo-alive. If I were dead, that would be very nice. No, it's our lot to suffer for all of eternity because of Mystryl.
Brimstone Posted - 14 Nov 2008 : 19:32:23
-Hey thats not your persona here D. It might be somewhere else.

-Just like This is my persona over here, and well I know it would probably give Markus a Major Headache (Along with the Mods) if my other persona was to come visit for awhile. Who I plan on keeping locked away.

BRIMSTONE
Kilvan Posted - 14 Nov 2008 : 19:32:17
quote:
Originally posted by Dagnirion

quote:

Bah, he's a vestige now, not even a good one. What could possibly happen? Anyway, I just picture Karsus as really powerful, really smart, but not very wise. So, he would not make a good god of magic IMO.

-I am not a vestige. The Tome of Magic is not Forgotten Realms canon. The great Archmage without peer is indeed powerful, smart, wise, charismatic, and extremely handsome.

and dead
Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 14 Nov 2008 : 19:32:11
quote:

quote:

Bah, he's a vestige now, not even a good one. What could possibly happen? Anyway, I just picture Karsus as really powerful, really smart, but not very wise. So, he would not make a good god of magic IMO.

-I am not a vestige. The Tome of Magic is not Forgotten Realms canon. The great Archmage without peer is indeed powerful, smart, wise, charismatic, and extremely handsome.

Don't forget humble. Aye, a real meek one, that archmage is! Why, just the other da- *ZOT*
Lord Karsus Posted - 14 Nov 2008 : 19:31:47
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

Btw: Does anybody know why his stone corpse wasn't transported to the Astral Morgue like all other dead divinities? Is that something to do with his "home plane" being Toril?

-When Mystryl killed herself, and in doing so, cut off my connection to her abruptly, I was both man and deity. This is the reason why the ruins of Karse exist, why the Karse stone exists, and why I am a tripartite entity. What do you (ie, the laws of nature) do with an entity that is both man and deity at the same time? The laws of nature did not know either, and as such, things are the way that they are. KtM's out there, I'm out there, and our third aspect is running around out there somewhere as well. There have been numerous clamors over the years, but these invariably turn out to be either imposters, or clones. Many, many clones. We've deduced that our third aspect is a Beholder Mage, though. Other than that, we have yet to find him.
Lord Karsus Posted - 14 Nov 2008 : 19:27:48
quote:

Brimstone Posted - 14 Nov 2008 : 19:16:36
-I thought her last words were gurgle?

-Hum...I never got that memo.

BRIMSTONE
Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 14 Nov 2008 : 19:14:10
quote:

BRIMSTONE

Mystra's last words:

"Never trust a touchy-feely Cyricist."
Brimstone Posted - 14 Nov 2008 : 19:09:48

BRIMSTONE
MerrikCale Posted - 14 Nov 2008 : 19:06:41
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by MerrikCale

quote:

quote:

I thought it was clear that it was an opinion

-I understand that. See the link in my sig. Look at Section 5.

BRIMSTONE

very well.

Let me say this as I do not believe this is offensive to the designers, but its what I was saying in a non-"smart alec" way

Rich Baker and Bruce Cordell were bashed excessively for lore hiccups with the Last Mythal and Depths of Madness in particular. I personally like Rich Baker as an author, enjoyed the Last Mythal and thought the bashing was a bit nitpicking. But I would think that some of that had to been an influence in the decision to essentially remove the lore from the setting. Mystra is a very important aspect of that lore.

Is that better?

-See now isn't that nice. Don't you feel better when your posts aren't all angsty emo. I know I feel better when my posts over here aren't all angsty and emo.

-Kinda like me D?

BRIMSTONE

to be honest, I am having a hard time getting rid of my angst and bitterness
MerrikCale Posted - 14 Nov 2008 : 19:05:20
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:
Rich Baker and Bruce Cordell were bashed excessively for lore hiccups with the Last Mythal and Depths of Madness in particular.

You mean Darkvision?

oops, yes I do
Jakk Posted - 14 Nov 2008 : 18:55:32
quote:

-See now isn't that nice. Don't you feel better when your posts aren't all angsty emo. I know I feel better when my posts over here aren't all angsty and emo.

<snip>

I know that I've felt better since ditching the angsty emo.

Regarding the OP: I've done something similar in my Realms, except that Mystra is still alive. The divine struggle between Mystra and Shar, resulting in the Shadow Weave being absorbed into the Weave, also reawakens Karsus... but his awareness is still trapped inside his immobile stone corpse.

Btw: Does anybody know why his stone corpse wasn't transported to the Astral Morgue like all other dead divinities? Is that something to do with his "home plane" being Toril?
Kilvan Posted - 14 Nov 2008 : 18:51:53
quote:

quote:

As for Karsus, meh. I usually refer to him as "Karsus the fool", thinking he could handle so much power just because he had the talent to steal it. But I think it would be interesting to have a "main" god of magic who his actually evil. (not that I think that Karsus was evil)

-Hey, hey, you watch it there. It's not nice to call people who could destroy you with but a thought a 'fool'. Some of the Hands have been a little restless lately, as it is...

Brimstone Posted - 14 Nov 2008 : 18:40:41
quote:

quote:

quote:

BRIMSTONE

very well.

Let me say this as I do not believe this is offensive to the designers, but its what I was saying in a non-"smart alec" way

Rich Baker and Bruce Cordell were bashed excessively for lore hiccups with the Last Mythal and Depths of Madness in particular. I personally like Rich Baker as an author, enjoyed the Last Mythal and thought the bashing was a bit nitpicking. But I would think that some of that had to been an influence in the decision to essentially remove the lore from the setting. Mystra is a very important aspect of that lore.

Is that better?

-Kinda like me D?

BRIMSTONE
Lord Karsus Posted - 14 Nov 2008 : 17:11:26
quote:

As for Karsus, meh. I usually refer to him as "Karsus the fool", thinking he could handle so much power just because he had the talent to steal it. But I think it would be interesting to have a "main" god of magic who his actually evil. (not that I think that Karsus was evil)

-Hey, hey, you watch it there. It's not nice to call people who could destroy you with but a thought a 'fool'. Some of the Hands have been a little restless lately, as it is...
Lord Karsus Posted - 14 Nov 2008 : 17:09:39
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

His unpronouncable son = bad thing (and thank god they got rid of him)

-Hey, it's pretty easy to pronounce: Z-Vim. Like someone revving a car's engine: Zvim, Zvim, Zzzzvvvviiim.
Darkhund Posted - 14 Nov 2008 : 16:22:54
quote:

The biggest mistake I think they made was NOT getting rid of Cyric - instead they allowed him to go "super-stalker" and murder Mystra.

Anyhow, if they would have just axed Cyric and Kelemvor and brought back Myrkul and Baal I would have been a very happy camper - almost happy enough to forgive the rest of 4e's lore.

In any of my campaigns, Cyric is dead. Llira killed him, and has been impersonating him, not him killing her and taking her portfolios. I mean, she's the goddess of illusion. If she can't do it, who could?
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 14 Nov 2008 : 14:57:09
quote:
Rich Baker and Bruce Cordell were bashed excessively for lore hiccups with the Last Mythal and Depths of Madness in particular.

You mean Darkvision?
MerrikCale Posted - 14 Nov 2008 : 14:39:42
quote:

quote:

BRIMSTONE

very well.

Is that better?
Brimstone Posted - 14 Nov 2008 : 13:36:37
quote:

-We all know Cyric is the Greatest! But that is another persona

BRIMSTONE
The Sage Posted - 14 Nov 2008 : 13:16:14
quote:

I did... I just kept referring to him as 'Invader Xim'.
So where do Gir, Dib, and Gaz come into it then?
Kilvan Posted - 14 Nov 2008 : 12:24:44
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Bane = good thing.

Hey, I liked Xvim! That's why I favor the theory that Bane is still dead, and Xvim is impersonating him.

I did exactly that in one of my campaign. The players never saw it coming.

Alisttair Posted - 14 Nov 2008 : 11:26:47
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Bane = good thing.

Hey, I liked Xvim! That's why I favor the theory that Bane is still dead, and Xvim is impersonating him.

I'm definately with you on that theory Wooly
Jakk Posted - 14 Nov 2008 : 07:20:39
quote:

Did you ever actually play in an FR game and try to use him?

Nope... according to my DM at the time, Bane returned a lot earlier than he did in canon, and when he showed up he used the upstart Xvim as an example to terrify Cyric into subservience (you *don't* want to know what actually happened to Xvim. You just don't.) and then set about activating a complex divine contingency previously implemented by the Dark Three to restore Bhaal and Myrkul, who promptly went medieval on Kelemvor, reclaiming their divine portfolios and denying Cyric his final revenge. Again.
Markustay Posted - 14 Nov 2008 : 06:24:55
Did you ever actually play in an FR game and try to use him?

I did... I just kept referring to him as 'Invader Xim'.

And to partially quote one of my favorite Tommy Lee Jones lines from MIB -

"Bane isn't dead, son... he just went home"

(The joke, of course, referencing him now going 'Core')
Wooly Rupert Posted - 14 Nov 2008 : 06:22:27
quote:

Bane = good thing.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000