Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Terminology

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Caedwyr Posted - 04 May 2008 : 01:38:32
With the upcoming 4th edition version of the Realms, which differs significantly from the pre-existing realms in time period, setting, and general tone there will be a confusion of terms as people attempt to distinguish which version of the Realms they are discussing.

So, in order to reduce confusion I would like to suggest a term I've seen used by a few people around here to denote the 4E realms; the "Shattered Realms".

Of course, others will have their preferred terms so if people think they've got a better name please post them for discussion.
29   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 10 May 2008 : 21:39:32
"Sellfire", LOL.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 10 May 2008 : 15:07:02
quote:
Originally posted by Afetbinttuzani

Wait, wait! I've got it!
In another scroll, Wooly serendipitously came up with the best term I've seen yet for the new Realms: "Sellplague"
Afet

Nope, it was deliberate. 'Twas actually a variation on a long-ago TSR typo, when I saw a box of booster cards for the "Sellfire" CCG being sold at my FLGS.
Afetbinttuzani Posted - 10 May 2008 : 15:03:21
Wait, wait! I've got it!
In another scroll, Wooly serendipitously came up with the best term I've seen yet for the new Realms: "Sellplague"
Afet
Afetbinttuzani Posted - 10 May 2008 : 05:43:19
quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDM

I basically distinguish between the two by calling them "the Realms" and "the 4e Realms." Though I like "Shattered Realms" as well.

4e FR or 4e Realms seem like the most logical and neutral short hands for CK discussions. Apart from that people should feel free to use whatever colorful term they desire.
Afet.
Hawkins Posted - 10 May 2008 : 00:07:10
I basically distinguish between the two by calling them "the Realms" and "the 4e Realms." Though I like "Shattered Realms" as well.
Caedwyr Posted - 09 May 2008 : 23:08:04
4e FR is a decent abbreviation for message boards. For face-to-face discussions with friends and fellow enthusiasts its a bit wordy.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 09 May 2008 : 22:45:50
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

I've been calling it just 4e FR: the quickest, most efficient appellation--at least for me.

Cheers

It is certainly to the point.
Wenin Posted - 09 May 2008 : 17:51:51
I'm for calling 4e the Shattered Realms, it fits in a number of ways.

However wasn't that the name of a video game set in Dark Sun? =)
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 09 May 2008 : 16:00:22
I've been calling it just 4e FR: the quickest, most efficient appellation--at least for me.

Cheers
Athairgi_the_Child-Eater Posted - 09 May 2008 : 15:33:09
'The Realms' is a great name for editions 1, 2, and 3...

As for the $th edition of the Forgotten Realms... I agree with Hammerhand the Rantmaster. 'FUBARealms' suits that ravaged abomination perfectly.
The Sage Posted - 05 May 2008 : 07:06:09
Heh. Would that make Elminster the Custodian of the Great Machine?

And speaking of Firefly, I'd recommend all fans pick up the Serenity: Better Days mini-series currently being published by Dark Horse. It's a great step back into the "Show-that-was."
Steven Schend Posted - 05 May 2008 : 04:42:26
Call me too much of a Firefly geek, but "Realms-that-were" popped to mind when reading this thread.

Then again, Wooly and Sage make me want to say that Lhaeo was the original Zathras of the Realms.

Steven
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 05 May 2008 : 03:52:54
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

I'm not going to call the pre-2008 Forgotten Realms anything except 'the Realms'.

Not a bad idea.
The Sage Posted - 05 May 2008 : 03:09:35
quote:

I'm not going to call the pre-2008 Forgotten Realms anything except 'the Realms'.
Indeed. As it is, 'the Realms,' is "my" Realms.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 05 May 2008 : 02:50:11
quote:

Ditto.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 05 May 2008 : 02:47:57
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

How about acknowledging the different eras of gameplay in the Realms as being related components of the "One" campaign setting? Something like, 1e/2e being "the Realms that was," 3e being "the Realms that is," and 4e FR being "the Realms that will be."

-- The Sage, who admits he did watch too much Babylon 5 over the weekend.

Coincidentally, one of the jokes mailing lists I'm on included in today's email a quote from Zathras from that same episode (one of the best in the entire run of the series, IMO). "Yes, yes, Zathras is used to being beast of burden to other people's needs. Very sad life. Probably have very sad death. But at least there is symmetry. Go, go, Zathras take care."
Faraer Posted - 05 May 2008 : 01:53:06
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 05 May 2008 : 01:35:54
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

How about acknowledging the different eras of gameplay in the Realms as being related components of the "One" campaign setting? Something like, 1e/2e being "the Realms that was," 3e being "the Realms that is," and 4e FR being "the Realms that will be."

Too wordy.

I'm all for "Classic Realms" for the pre-plague Realms. I'm all for "Shattered Realms" for the post-plague Realms. Of course, the first term could arguably be called biased, and second term pejorative (and biased).
The Sage Posted - 05 May 2008 : 01:20:19

-- The Sage, who admits he did watch too much Babylon 5 over the weekend.
tauster Posted - 04 May 2008 : 19:22:04
I'm for "Shattered Realms" as well.
"Classic Realms" sounds good for naming the pre-4e era.

Another thought: What about "Ed's Realms" for everything until the advent of 3e? On the other side: "Ed's Realms" is more fitting for his home campaign, I guess.

Or we leave out any judgemental notions and just call it FR2, FR3 and FR4.
*thinks a while about the idea*
...nah, let's go for "Shattered" - it earned that name just too well, from all we heard.
Mace Hammerhand Posted - 04 May 2008 : 17:49:50
Can't we call it FubaRealms?
BARDOBARBAROS Posted - 04 May 2008 : 14:01:30
I believe and "Ruined Realms" will do well !! Or the world of the two R (2xR) !!!!!!!!
LordArcana Posted - 04 May 2008 : 13:02:21
This reminds me greatly of the Highlander movies....How in my mind the 3rd movie (according to the producers and people on the staff who claim it was made and related to the other movies) was never made. Just like the FR...they simply were never made. Thats my story and i am sticking to it!
Wooly Rupert Posted - 04 May 2008 : 06:28:56
As the person who coined the term Shattered Realms, I think it's obvious how I prefer to refer to 4E FR.
Afetbinttuzani Posted - 04 May 2008 : 03:36:47
quote:
Originally posted by Caedwyr
I should be clear, I'm not fishing for 4th edition bashing names, etc but a common term everyone can use to be clear what version/era they are talking about.

Sorry, Caedwyr. I know you were being serious, but I couldn't resist.
Afet
Caedwyr Posted - 04 May 2008 : 03:28:31
I can support Classic Realms for the pre-4th edition Realms, along with the aforementioned Shattered Realms. There's also the occasionally mentioned Arcane Age and Age of Worms. Really, it isn't any more than how there is a role of years. Naming the eras of the game fits perfectly in with that mindset.

I should be clear, I'm not fishing for 4th edition bashing names, etc but a common term everyone can use to be clear what version/era they are talking about.
The Sage Posted - 04 May 2008 : 02:28:17
How about:- 'Marvel WotC Comics Presents:- What If: The Spellplague actually happened in the Forgotten Realms?'

It'd be great. Alaundo would make a pretty convincing Uatu.
monknwildcat Posted - 04 May 2008 : 02:23:24
Funny, Afet!

I vote for classic Realms for pre-plague. I saw it posted in a thread somewhere; it's not my creation. But it's sufficiently respectful and descriptive....

It's not as nifty as McRealms or descriptive as ShatteredRealms, but I can live with New Realms or Realms08.
Afetbinttuzani Posted - 04 May 2008 : 02:10:00
Oh dear, I think you've opened a can of worms here. I imagine you're going to get some colorful responses.

Let me open the bidding with McRealms
Afet

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000