Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Shades v. Drow in underdark

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Aravine Posted - 25 Apr 2008 : 16:58:22
I was reading the stats of Shades in RoF, and I was wondering, if the city of shade made more shades out of shadowvar, and invaded uderdark, could they take Drow cities like Menzoberranzan?
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Dennis Posted - 12 Jan 2011 : 00:23:34
For Telamont to take a huge risk in trying to conquer a large and powerful drow city, he must have an equally huge reason. Say, two fallen enclaves with potentially still working mythallars lie miles below it.
Hoondatha Posted - 11 Jan 2011 : 23:58:06
For that matter, Menzo is a small, relatively unimportant city. The better question would be could they go toe to toe with something more like Erindlyn, or maybe Sshamath. Or Maerimydra on their eastern border. Any one of those would be a far harder nut to crack.
Dennis Posted - 11 Jan 2011 : 23:40:17
As far as I know, in RotA and TW trilogies, Telamont never hinted that he's interested in ruling or conquering a city of two in the Underdark. He's more preoccupied with surface matters.

To the what-if question, my answer is YES. Shade can conquer Menzo, with considerable casualties of course.

The darkness doesn't impede shades, nor weaken them; only light does.

Shade is not the only nation/city capable of conquering Menzo. Even Thay is, if Tam puts his mind into it. Though I see no reason why he'd do so, save having more corpse to animate.
Dalor Darden Posted - 11 Jan 2011 : 20:27:04
quote:
Originally posted by Zireael

Well, but we could have shade drow!

Sorry, couldn't resist, even if it's such a dusty scroll...

Yes, a very nasty assassin in one of the games I ran was a Drow Shade wizard/thief/assassin.

Drow Shades are nasty...
Zireael Posted - 11 Jan 2011 : 18:40:20
Well, but we could have shade drow!

Sorry, couldn't resist, even if it's such a dusty scroll...
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 25 Apr 2008 : 20:51:30
Indeed, the Shades seem to be much more interested in the surface world, anyway.
Wandering_mage Posted - 25 Apr 2008 : 17:39:02
Why conquer cities in the underdark and take on the task of dealing with the deadly monsters down there when they could conquer above ground cities with huge populations of "mostly" (heroes wanted) docile races for slaves to work for them? Just a thought. Plus the Shade has very well defined plans of conquest. They know exactly where their matron's (Shar) enemies are and they want to hurt them badly. Shar leads the way in other words. The Underdark is controlled by no one even with the drow. Waste of time eh? :)
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 25 Apr 2008 : 17:29:53
Right, "Shade" is a template that can be used on any creature.

As for the question, it's one of those "what ifs" that isn't really answerable. The Shades could possibly conquer a city in the Underdark, but so could any other entity if they had the power. And the Underdark is the home turf of the drow, so it'd be an uphill battle.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 25 Apr 2008 : 17:28:04
quote:
Originally posted by Aravine

I was reading the stats of Shades in RoF, and I was wondering, if the city of shade made more shades out of shadowvar, and invaded uderdark, could they take Drow cities like Menzoberranzan?

Why would they want to, other than constant darkness?
Aravine Posted - 25 Apr 2008 : 17:10:29
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

Well, the "Shades" are not the only race capable of becoming Shades.

Long before the City of Shade came back to Faerun there were Shades.

To me, this means that Drow could become Shades just as easily...

The problem I have with Shades in the Underdark stems from Shades in 1st Edition AD&D...in total darkness they were not as powerful as they were in areas of Shadow...total light AND total dark made them less powerful than when they were in areas of shadow (light/dark).

They don't list that as a weakness in RoF 3E(as far as I know...)
Dalor Darden Posted - 25 Apr 2008 : 17:05:16
Well, the "Shades" are not the only race capable of becoming Shades.

Long before the City of Shade came back to Faerun there were Shades.

To me, this means that Drow could become Shades just as easily...

The problem I have with Shades in the Underdark stems from Shades in 1st Edition AD&D...in total darkness they were not as powerful as they were in areas of Shadow...total light AND total dark made them less powerful than when they were in areas of shadow (light/dark).

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000