Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 2E Fluff

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
eldritchknight Posted - 20 Nov 2007 : 19:03:41
I have been reading the 2E supplement the Vilhon Reach and have been amazed by the amount of fluff vs. crunch in the tome, and was wondering if this is standard in 2E tomes?

What are your favorite 2E FR tomes? And are there anymore tomes that deal with the Reach beyond this tome?

28   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Varl Posted - 25 Nov 2007 : 17:35:04
Elminster Ecologies and the Everwinking Eye articles in Dragon will always be some of my favorites, as well as the incredible boost in flavor the triad of deity books gave priests, paladins, and anyone religious.
Faraer Posted - 24 Nov 2007 : 22:18:52
The book also says a lot about how mages think and act, what apprenticeship is like, a lot of incidental local and historical flavour and secrets and thus adventure hooks, about combination magic, and shadowstaves and tarsardar are a valuable model for other religions' odd servants beyond clerics and 'chosen'.
Jorkens Posted - 24 Nov 2007 : 21:09:48
There are also quite a bit of information concerning the ideas of Mystra and her followers hidden around in the book. Examples of such are families with special powers that earlier Magisters have shown interest in.
Chosen of Moradin Posted - 24 Nov 2007 : 19:58:19
It´s a 130 pages tome, with all concerning the Magister:

- Tasks of the Magister;
- Becoming the Magister;
- Powers of the Magister;
- Leaving Office;
- Mystra´s Choice;
- Magisters remembered;
- The Magister Now;
- Magisterial Magic (with spell mantles, combination of spells, and selected magisterial spells);
- Artifacts and magical items;
- Magisterial Campaign;
- Mystra´s Other Servants;

These are the topics that explain themselves by their titles; there are others, but they are more specific.
MerrikCale Posted - 24 Nov 2007 : 19:21:34
without getting too specific what is Secrets of the Magister about?
Jorkens Posted - 24 Nov 2007 : 08:31:04
Being a creature of legendarily bad memory I seem to have mixed Pages from the Mages with the Secrets of the Magister. I would therefore like to add a recommendation concerning that book. A huge source of Realmslore, one of those containing almost to much for a person to take in. Hate the illustrations intensely though.
Faraer Posted - 23 Nov 2007 : 16:46:53
Prayers from the Faithful and Secrets of the Magister are awesome; like The Seven Sisters, they really show you how the Realms works in the higher echelons of priesthood, adventuring and wizardry, and give far more incidental information than their overt subjects. I think Demihumans of the Realms, Warriors & Priests and Wizards & Rogues are disposable.
Jorkens Posted - 23 Nov 2007 : 14:47:10
quote:
Originally posted by MerrikCale

what about those books Warriors & Priests of the Realms and Wizards&Rogues of the Realms, any good fluff?

Well, they are OK, but not much lore you cant find around in other realms products. They are interesting for 2ed. players, but I am unsure of the use for others. All thought they might give players and DM's some ideas about regional differences.

The priest part is in my opinion the most interesting. These are cleric kits for the different deities of the Realms, many of which are made to serve special functions within the clergy. Neutral kits for Umberlee and Shar are examples.
MerrikCale Posted - 23 Nov 2007 : 14:06:04
what about those books Warriors & Priests of the Realms and Wizards&Rogues of the Realms, any good fluff?
Chosen of Moradin Posted - 23 Nov 2007 : 12:57:26
Prayers of the Faithfull is a very good tome, about sacred books of the great faerunian faiths. The book explain the tomes history, contents, whereabouts, and powers. It´s a great book!

Secrets of the Magister is a very focused tome: all about the Magister of Mystra. So, if you will not use him in a campaign (or give this role to a player!!!), the book lost his value... but it´s a good read, indeed. Ed Greenwood, Dale Donovan and Kim Mohan make a good job in it.

Demihumans of the Realms is an absolute, if you are a DM, or if you like to play with demihumans. Wooly can speak better about this one...
Jorkens Posted - 23 Nov 2007 : 06:28:55
quote:
Originally posted by MerrikCale

How were those books Prayers of the Faithful, Secrets of the Magi, Demihumans of the Realms

Well, Prayers of the Faithfull and the 2nd. Secrets of the Magister are both among the Realms book I never got around to buying, but Demihumans of the Realms is a collection of kits for the Realms. Some OK, some not so. It is not a book I can say I have gotten much use out of.
MerrikCale Posted - 23 Nov 2007 : 03:41:45
How were those books Prayers of the Faithful, Secrets of the Magi, Demihumans of the Realms
BARDOBARBAROS Posted - 21 Nov 2007 : 17:16:40
yes that's the standards of 2edition !!! 2edition FOREVER!!!

MY best is THE NORTH box set!!

Wooly Rupert Posted - 21 Nov 2007 : 15:20:39
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

quote:
Originally posted by eldritchknight

I have been reading the 2E supplement the Vilhon Reach and have been amazed by the amount of fluff vs. crunch in the tome, and was wondering if this is standard in 2E tomes?

What are your favorite 2E FR tomes? And are there anymore tomes that deal with the Reach beyond this tome?

Just checking, you do know about the free downloads of several 2ed. Realms books from Wizards page (oh where art thy, Hamster of many links?). This will give you an idea of how the Realms products used to be. Volo guides, parts of Elminsters Ecologies and further.

Have no fear, the Hamster is here!

The spoken of link: the Wizards downloads page.
Chosen of Moradin Posted - 21 Nov 2007 : 12:44:38
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

The three deity books, Faiths & Avatars, Powers & Pantheons, and Demihuman Deities were all wonderful. Cloak & Dagger had great info and a lot of campaign potential that has unfortunately been ignored in 3E. Volo's Guide to Waterdeep is the single best area sourcebook we've been given, and Volo's Guide to All Things Magical (formerly a suppressed work ) gave a wonderful feel for anything magical in the Realms.

To the Hamster list, I add Elminster Ecologies, Seven Sisters, and Cult of the Dragon.
Penknight Posted - 21 Nov 2007 : 07:14:14
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:

[quote]What are your favorite 2E FR tomes?

I'll take any I can get my hands on.

Same here. I love my 1st and 2nd Edition tomes and think of that as the 'Golden Era' of the Realms.
Jorkens Posted - 21 Nov 2007 : 07:13:47
quote:

Just checking, you do know about the free downloads of several 2ed. Realms books from Wizards page (oh where art thy, Hamster of many links?). This will give you an idea of how the Realms products used to be. Volo guides, parts of Elminsters Ecologies and further.
scererar Posted - 21 Nov 2007 : 04:23:56
yes and my favorites were the forgotten realms atlas and elminster's ecologies
eldritchknight Posted - 21 Nov 2007 : 03:45:31
Thanks, Dalmar Amad.
nb_nmare Posted - 20 Nov 2007 : 23:17:13
Even those 2E books specifically designed to introduce new rules-related stuff were lore-heavy. On the surface books such as Wizards and Rogues of the Realms, Warriors and Priests of the Realms, and Demihumans of the Realms simply provide a bunch of new kits and a couple of new classes, but the descriptions of said kits and classes provide a wealth of lore.
Dalmar Amad Posted - 20 Nov 2007 : 23:02:10
quote:

The only novels that are set in the reach are the House of Serpents and the Scions of Arrabar, right?

I really liked both series because one of my campaigns is heading there.
The first series shows us a bit of the fear Chondath's neighbours have concerning its resurgence, especially book two.

The second series shows us how the Shining Lord keeps chondathan nobles occupied.

If you're interested in this region, these novels are helpful.

I don't know of any other novels set in this region.
Dalmar Amad Posted - 20 Nov 2007 : 22:47:05
quote:

Like Wooly already mentioned the three god books are great. I would add the The Forgotten Realms Adventures Book, Sea of Fallen Stars and Pirates of the Fallen Stars. The last two also include info on the Vilhon Reach concerning these regions' harbours and their attitude towards piracy.

Their also was an adventure module set in this region, IIRC. I forgot the name, though.
Akeri Rualuavain Posted - 20 Nov 2007 : 20:30:05
Thanks a lot Wooly, now I undestand better the question and the answers !
eldritchknight Posted - 20 Nov 2007 : 20:28:10
Thanks for the quick replies, all!

I have been really enjoying my reading of the Vilhon Reach, and am looking forward to reading more on the area. The only novels that are set in the reach are the House of Serpents and the Scions of Arrabar, right?

Those will probably be the next novels I pick up.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 20 Nov 2007 : 19:33:00
quote:
Originally posted by Akeri Rualuavain

quote:

What meens fluff and crunch?
By tome you meen story?

Tome is another word for book. It's a bit archaic, but far more common than words like libram or folio.

Fluff is a term that refers to any game information that isn't rules or stats. We generally prefer the word lore, though.

Crunch is all the rules and stats. Fluff/lore is what makes the setting come alive, all the rich detail that draws us in. Crunch is what we need for actual gameplay.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 20 Nov 2007 : 19:29:58
quote:

Oh yes indeedy! The amount of lore we were given in 1E and 2E tomes was far in excess of what 3.x has given us. The game designers of 2E didn't feel obligated to waste page count on things like feats, Prestige Classes or full-page stat listings. So that was more room for lore.

quote:

What are your favorite 2E FR tomes?

The three deity books, Faiths & Avatars, Powers & Pantheons, and Demihuman Deities were all wonderful. Cloak & Dagger had great info and a lot of campaign potential that has unfortunately been ignored in 3E. Volo's Guide to Waterdeep is the single best area sourcebook we've been given, and Volo's Guide to All Things Magical (formerly a suppressed work ) gave a wonderful feel for anything magical in the Realms.

Akeri Rualuavain Posted - 20 Nov 2007 : 19:22:41
quote:

What meens fluff and crunch?
By tome you meen story?
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 20 Nov 2007 : 19:07:53
quote:

In my opinion it is.

quote:
What are your favorite 2E FR tomes?

I'll take any I can get my hands on.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000