Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 About Drizzt's Blades

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Ranin Posted - 16 Oct 2007 : 06:30:48
Ok, I see a lot of different versions of good ol DD's scimitars: the ones somewhat remsembling the Arabic or Genies and Efreeti's heavy blades which are widely tapered towards the end (depicted in the Candlekeep's homepage and Streams of Silver original cover art), and the all slender blade as depicted in the Hunter's Blade cover arts. I wonder which of them DD really uses.

As he was trained with drow elven weapons, they should probably look drow or elven I would think.
28   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Giant Snake Posted - 21 Jun 2024 : 10:29:05
You mean look differently like in not having the same glow or shine to them, I presume? Not that they suddenly change shape or something.

As for the drawing, honestly the kawaii Drizzt is something I didn’t expect to see, but I’m for it.
sleyvas Posted - 19 Jun 2024 : 23:34:40
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

quote:
Originally posted by Galuf the Dwarf

Malchor Harpell, from around the beginning of The Halfling's Gem.

Uh, look at the dates. The thread was necromanced up by a spambot.
But on the subject of Icingdeath and Twinkie, here's another illustration, in a somewhat unusual style.

That drawing is wrong... Icingdeath is strawberry flavored.
Diffan Posted - 19 Jun 2024 : 16:58:27
quote:
Originally posted by Giant Snake

That drives me crazy as well. I imagine that neither looks especially drow-like though. Young Drizzt is in a lot of ways my favorite Drizzt, so I suspect those were a matching pair. I suspect that they are nimbly bimbly either way. Some of the old art is hilarious because they’re those gigantic curved swords which are supposed to look like a more Arabic scimitar but it fails at that really. Those humongous, heavy swords are not at all what I think of when I think of how Drizzt would fight with finesse and speed.

The time-frame of Drizzt in the Underdark during the Dark Elf Trilogy, yeah the scimitars should've had an elven/drow look and paring. Once he ditched them (due to them becoming brittle being away from the Faerzress aura of power) and obtained Twinkle and Icingdeath, they would almost certainly look differently and not paired - like we saw with Todd Lockwood's art.

As for the heavy Arabic style featured in the earlier art, those weapons really aren't that heavy. They probably weight between 0.8 and 1.0 kg or approximately 2 lbs. Also, you want a slightly top-heavier weapon for deep slashing strikes that will help generate more kinetic force.
Giant Snake Posted - 13 Jun 2024 : 07:38:11
That drives me crazy as well. I imagine that neither looks especially drow-like though. Young Drizzt is in a lot of ways my favorite Drizzt, so I suspect those were a matching pair. I suspect that they are nimbly bimbly either way. Some of the old art is hilarious because they’re those gigantic curved swords which are supposed to look like a more Arabic scimitar but it fails at that really. Those humongous, heavy swords are not at all what I think of when I think of how Drizzt would fight with finesse and speed.
TBeholder Posted - 13 Jun 2024 : 07:22:51
quote:
Originally posted by Galuf the Dwarf

Uh, look at the dates. The thread was necromanced up by a spambot.
But on the subject of Icingdeath and Twinkie, here's another illustration, in a somewhat unusual style.
Galuf the Dwarf Posted - 13 Jun 2024 : 01:28:37
quote:
Originally posted by Xysma

It drives me crazy that they are so often depicted as a matching set. Icingdeath came from Icingdeath's hoard and Twinkle he got later from one of the Harpells (if I remember correctly).

Hawkins Posted - 17 Oct 2007 : 19:42:03
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

That's why I've never even considered buying those swords. They are certainly pretty, but as Firestorm points out, they're not supposed to look alike, and they don't look anything like a scimitar.

I did wonder why they were identical. Also, why do they have drow script on them? They weren't (at least to the best of my knowledge) made in the Underdark.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 17 Oct 2007 : 19:30:29
quote:
Originally posted by Xysma

quote:
Originally posted by aravine

What type of name for a sword is Twinkle?

A silly one.

Agreed.
l33td0ggy Posted - 17 Oct 2007 : 18:02:59
if i was an auther and someone wanted to make wepons based on one of my charaters, i'd make sure the wepon matched what the charater used. i wouldn't endorse it if it didn't.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 17 Oct 2007 : 17:35:49
That's why I've never even considered buying those swords. They are certainly pretty, but as Firestorm points out, they're not supposed to look alike, and they don't look anything like a scimitar.
Firestorm Posted - 17 Oct 2007 : 15:21:54
Its not quibbling. A scimitar is defined as THE most curved of curved blades. The minimum curve on a blade in order to be considered a scimitar has to start greater than that of a Japanese Katana and become even more curved as they go. Those blades are completely straight, except for the top edging, which barely cyurves at all.

Anyone who buys those blades thinking they are Drizzt's scimitars are being ripped off. For that mater, Drizzt's blades are not supposed to look identical in any respect.
Lady Fellshot Posted - 17 Oct 2007 : 06:33:49
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

This is the url for the exact, officially approved by R. A. Salvatore versions: http://www.museumreplicas.com/museumreplicas/SearchResult.aspx?KeyWords=twinkle. I'm not endorsing the items, just answering the question of what they look like.

I would say that those look more like over long, skinny cutlasses. Even if we were going to say that an elven scimitar has a narrower blade, I would think that the curve would still be very pronounced. But I quibble.
Ranin Posted - 17 Oct 2007 : 06:01:10
quote:

This is the url for the exact, officially approved by R. A. Salvatore versions: http://www.museumreplicas.com/museumreplicas/SearchResult.aspx?KeyWords=twinkle. I'm not endorsing the items, just answering the question of what they look like.

This can't be right...those look like pumpkin carving knives.
IronHammer Posted - 17 Oct 2007 : 00:56:31
Those dipicited as of late are not even close to a historical scimitar.
Firestorm Posted - 16 Oct 2007 : 23:29:54
Those are nothing like a scimitar. They are single edged swords.

Scimitars by definition, should have a curve greater than that of the average Saber or Japanese Katana. Like this.

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:WKjfSzPt_a5KoM:http://neoreviews.aappublications.org/case12/scimitar-pict.jpg

If those swords were officially approved, then they should be sued for false advertising since it is physically impossible to call those blades scimitars.
Hawkins Posted - 16 Oct 2007 : 22:59:47
quote:

That is pretty cool. If I had way to much money, I would spend it all on books, swords, and computer hardware/games.
Jamallo Kreen Posted - 16 Oct 2007 : 22:40:40

Ranin Posted - 16 Oct 2007 : 18:05:09
quote:
Originally posted by AlorinDawn

quote:
As he was trained with drow elven weapons, they should probably look drow or elven I would think.

He got the magic blades he uses from adventuring, why would they look like they were of drow, or elven design?

I forgot...its been a while since I read some of the earlier books such as the dark elf trilogy and the Icewind Dale trilogy. I was meaning to say the first weapons Drizzt trained with in his former Underdark home would be drow or elven blades, which were adamantine. Icingdeath and Twinkle would look more like the blades as shown in the Silent Blade, I think.
Aewrik Posted - 16 Oct 2007 : 17:50:06
The way I see it, there are fantasy scimitars [1, 2, 3] and real-world shamshirs.

Fantasy scimitars are a blend of shamshirs, kilijs and scimitars, as I see it.
"Evil" scimitars more often look like real-world scimitars.

I think, they should've changed the names of scimitar to shamshir, since shamshir is more or less the family name for curved blades.

If you look at the "new" twinkle, it's more of a straight-edged katana (with a pommel), than a scimitar. [1]

EDIT: added some links for examples.
Alisttair Posted - 16 Oct 2007 : 16:33:31
Which is why the ones you can buy should be different instead of identical...which is why I am not buying them.
Firestorm Posted - 16 Oct 2007 : 16:33:12
And the fact that the replicas are not even close to a scimitar. The blades are not even curved. They are single edged swords at best.
Xysma Posted - 16 Oct 2007 : 16:02:52
It drives me crazy that they are so often depicted as a matching set. Icingdeath came from Icingdeath's hoard and Twinkle he got later from one of the Harpells (if I remember correctly).
Xysma Posted - 16 Oct 2007 : 15:56:24
quote:
Originally posted by aravine

A silly one.
Charles Phipps Posted - 16 Oct 2007 : 15:47:17
An ironic one for a glowing sword.

:-)

Sort of like naming a Pitbull Muffin.

Yes, she's adorable and friendly. But it's pretty big.

Aravine Posted - 16 Oct 2007 : 15:43:29
Firestorm Posted - 16 Oct 2007 : 15:27:24
Well, scimitars by definition, are greater curved blades descended from the turko-mongol saber. Sabers had a slight curve because it was a cutting/slicing blade. Scimitars have an even more defined curve.

If the blade doesn't have a greater curve, its not a scimitar. Some of the newer books seem to depict straight blades. For instance. The swords Drizzt is wielding on the cover of "The two swords". Those would not be considered scimitars. They would barely even qualify as sabers.
The replicas seem the same. They are single edged swords, labelled as scimitars, with not even a curve to the blades

AlorinDawn Posted - 16 Oct 2007 : 13:57:45
quote:

He got the magic blades he uses from adventuring, why would they look like they were of drow, or elven design?
Jorkens Posted - 16 Oct 2007 : 06:39:38
Well I would guess that that would be up to each reader (or player for that matter), all of these have been an individual impression of what Drizzt's weapons would look like. None of them are right or wrong. The same goes for what can be called a "drow look".

One thing one can say is that the older weapons are scimitars; the never pictures often depict other types of sword.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000