Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Iakhovas

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
MuadDib Posted - 08 Oct 2007 : 21:36:21
Hi all

Just thought I'd pick the collective brains of the Sages here to try assauge my curiosity a little.

Despite the relatively poor opinion of Mel Odom's series of novels, I really like them. But I'm frustrated each time I read them by my own lack of knowledge pertaining to the character Iakhovas.

If I recall the last book correctly, he is a Megalodon, and I searched the Wizard site and was able to glean that this particular creature is mentioned in the Monster Manual II (which I don't have - woe is me).

But he's also a special Megalodon, being mentioned on this site ans favoured of Sekolah and his numero uno as it were.

So any information, or useful links on this character and his true form would be really well received and appreciated

Many thanks,
22   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Matt James Posted - 09 Jul 2009 : 01:01:09
He's a good bad-guy, I agree :)
Tyranthraxus Posted - 08 Jul 2009 : 21:24:36
quote:
Originally posted by Brian R. James

Hehe. I used to pick my internet aliases based on Realms villains. I was Tyranthraxus on the old REALMS-L mailserv, for instance. At the time Iakhovas was my favorite antagonist so it made sense to go with shark-boy for my WotC alias.

Sorry for "stealing' your old nick name. 'T' is, and will always be my favorite villain
Wooly Rupert Posted - 08 Jul 2009 : 19:17:12
What was his legacy? Sharkfin soup became very popular!
khorne Posted - 08 Jul 2009 : 19:11:29
While we're talking about Shark-boy, what was his legacy? I mean, his war must have left a rather large impact on the undersea community long after the war itelf ended.

By the way, I really loved his title. "The Taker". That's a perfect title for a shark.
Brian R. James Posted - 08 Jul 2009 : 15:48:38
Hehe. I used to pick my internet aliases based on Realms villains. I was Tyranthraxus on the old REALMS-L mailserv, for instance. At the time Iakhovas was my favorite antagonist so it made sense to go with shark-boy for my WotC alias.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 08 Jul 2009 : 15:05:17
quote:
Originally posted by Matt James

Should I hang my head in shame if the first thought I had was "Brian R. James" when seeing the title of the thread? ;)

I had a similar thought.
Ikki Posted - 08 Jul 2009 : 13:22:25
quote:
Originally posted by Green Giant

Unique advanced 30 HD sharkwere elder evil. Enjoy

Coming to think of it... maybe he was a lich?
I mean, referred to as undead when the little maleti found him, and when the eye was struck and he just blew up, that kinda did look like how a author would view it when a liches phylacetry is destroyed...

Never mind ofcourse that the lich isnt destroyed, just living on borrowed time, but then again.. spells etc creatures effects rarely do translate entirely accurately into novels.
Like giants going down with a single swordstrike, mindflayers with a regular crossbowbolt etc :P
Matt James Posted - 08 Jul 2009 : 12:11:58
Should I hang my head in shame if the first thought I had was "Brian R. James" when seeing the title of the thread? ;)
Green Giant Posted - 07 Jul 2009 : 13:31:23
Unique advanced 30 HD sharkwere elder evil. Enjoy
Ikki Posted - 07 Jul 2009 : 08:39:09
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I always thought he was like a near-divine wereshark...

F4/illusionist 12, Advanced Were-Megalodon Paragon Human
AlorinDawn Posted - 10 Oct 2007 : 17:24:31
quote:
Originally posted by Warrax

Jherek, his name was Jherek.

Thank you Warrax. Though whatever his name is....that dude has issues.
Warrax Posted - 10 Oct 2007 : 14:10:18
Jherek, his name was Jherek.
MuadDib Posted - 09 Oct 2007 : 19:34:11
I must say the image of him becoming a paladin didn't sit well with me at all. I know it's totally biased, subjective and most likely wrong, but my image of a paladin has always been a full plate wearing, oversized giant sword wielding defender of light replete with glowing lights and some overly pious catchphrase on his lips. The idea of a sailor paladin who spends a great deal of time fighting with a cutlass and hook doesn't fit into my perfect mould (and so little does I'm sure for most).

I think a paladin, or a chosen perhaps of Umberlee or something along those lines would have been amazing. 'Some' link with the ocean at least - but during my searching for Iakhovas information I stumlbed on many reviews which I have to actually give credence too in that there are many interesting plot points and developments which are never fully explored. But alas, such is the way of things.

Just a quick word of thanks for all the replies here. As always, I am duly humbled by the amassed knowledge here and a special word of the thanks to the ever-present and ever-wonderful Sage for some source books I might peruse.

Thank you kindly
Markustay Posted - 09 Oct 2007 : 18:49:51
Personally, I wanted him to turn out to be a Paladin of Umberlee!

I thought it would be a hell of a twist, and fit the backstory better (Umberlee hated Iakhovas, not Lathander).

I know it would have been a total oddity, but what was a Drow Ranger of Mielikki when we first met him?

Can't the Bitch Queen have a single-minded holy warrior dedicated to enforcing people's respect for the sea (and her)?

The alignment difference would be strange, but if he were to concentrate on the 'law' aspect of a Paladin it could have been a great little twist at the end of the series.

Lathander was just so... predictable.
AlorinDawn Posted - 09 Oct 2007 : 17:05:20
I too really enjoyed the Threat From the Sea series. I have always wanted to see Iakhovas statted out properly. I think however with some of the statting I've seen done in 3E+ Realms material (wasn't Blackstaff a better at painting than spellcraft iirc?) I'll just build my own as my home campaign is JUST arriving to that point in the Realms time-line and when my group of stalwarts face the incursion of sea critters in Waterdeep. A chance encounter with Iakhovas on his way out of the city might prove interesting. I hold many of my fellow scribes within these hallowed walls in high esteem and would love to see some different "home brewed" Iakhovas builds. Avast and have at it yee mates!

On a different note, yet still concerning the Threat From the Sea series....was it just me of did the rainbow shield toting paladin Jerinth who always seemed to have a pink glow (I know Lathander is all about the rose colored hue and all...but still!)and continually rebuffed the female mage's advances yet was often swelling with pride at his paladin mentor kinda creep you out too? Maybe it was just me.

Not to mention when I saw Jerinth statted out in Dragon Magazine he looked to me as rather underpowered.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 09 Oct 2007 : 02:16:12
quote:
Originally posted by Foxhelm

A Megalodon was a real creature in our world. A super sized Jaws of the prehistoric world. Recent guesses put this beast at 15.9 m (52.1 feet) long and the body mass of about 48 tons. Other guesses put it at 16 m (52.5 feet) long. It's teeth were 17.78 cm (7 inch) long in slant.

It is probably lived between about 16 to 2 million years ago. It is the biggest known carnivorous fish to have ever lived. Earlier guesses of size suggest it could be 30 m (100 feet) long.

Facts from Wikipedia.

Scary. But I wonder if it was bigger than the Whale Shark (which isn't carnivorous).
Foxhelm Posted - 09 Oct 2007 : 02:12:56
A Megalodon was a real creature in our world. A super sized Jaws of the prehistoric world. Recent guesses put this beast at 15.9 m (52.1 feet) long and the body mass of about 48 tons. Other guesses put it at 16 m (52.5 feet) long. It's teeth were 17.78 cm (7 inch) long in slant.

It is probably lived between about 16 to 2 million years ago. It is the biggest known carnivorous fish to have ever lived. Earlier guesses of size suggest it could be 30 m (100 feet) long.

Facts from Wikipedia.
Warrax Posted - 09 Oct 2007 : 02:04:05
He was called a megalodon in the third book, IIRC. I, too, enjoyed the series.

And I am also comfortable with the DR 0 notion... he had a great deal of power, a great deal of experience and a history with the Bitch Queen... Definitely someone significant.
The Sage Posted - 09 Oct 2007 : 00:09:30
Both Cloak & Dagger and the new Waterdeep sourcebook state that Iakhovas was a wereshark. He was also called a wereshark in the trilogy itself, as I recall. Regardless, I would say that he may have actually been a particularly powerful variant of the wereshark race. He was said to have been a former lover of Umberlee -- so it's entirely possible he had some "divine assistance" at some point in his life.

Tom Costa offered some thoughts of his own on how to represent Iakhavos's "special" status through the rules:-

"You might go with a were-dire shark (IMO) wizard, with either some sort of chosen template or perhaps the half-fiend template (though that wouldn't be quite accurate)."

And,

"Weresharks were updated in Lost Empires of Faerun as well.

That said, I really like the idea of a dire sharkwere with levels of sorcerer and perhaps some chosen/half-fiend abilities (you could always use powers listed for Sekolah'avatar and clerics in the 2E Monster Mythology and the 2E Sahuagin books for inspiration)."
KnightErrantJR Posted - 08 Oct 2007 : 22:32:25
I remember having this conversation WAY back when I first got to Candlekeep. According to 3.5 rules the closest approximation is that he is a wereshark, but under long standing tradition, being a shark that can turn into a humanoid and not passing on your abilities via lycanthropy would make him a sharkwere.

I don't think the DR 0 would be too far off in this case either.
Markustay Posted - 08 Oct 2007 : 22:25:18
If I remember correctly, he was THE FIRST megalodon, awarding him special status, and possibly even had a divine rank of 0. Wasn't he 'knockin' boots' with Umberlee as well?

He was like a wereshark, as Wooly indicated, but his true form was the Megalodon, not the biped. Sort of a reverse lycanthrope, as it were.

I like the concept that the very first of any species should have similar 'benefits'. It's cool, and it is sort of on par with Marvel Comics "Elders of the Universe", except in their case, they were awarded powers by being the LAST of their species.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 08 Oct 2007 : 21:51:01
I always thought he was like a near-divine wereshark...

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000