Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The Ed Greenwood Group (TEGG) should licence FR

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Gyor Posted - 14 Sep 2016 : 02:40:50
The The Ed Greenwood Group (TEGG) should licence for FR

As said in the title the TEGG should get a licence for FR novels from WotC.

This isn't without presidence, White Wolf used to have a licence to do Ravenloft novels and I believe another company had the licence for Dragon Lance for a time as well.

If WotC does want to assume the expenses/costs/risks for the novels line, then WotC should do a licencing deal with TEGG like it once did for Ravenloft with White Wolf. WotC gets profits, little to no expenses to draw resources from their budgets, its a win...win...win deal.
16   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
The Sage Posted - 15 Sep 2016 : 14:18:32
quote:
Originally posted by Gyor

The movie will be based on the Forgotten Realms, it may or may have 5e mechanical influences, we don't know.

I'd rather the film try not to adhere specifically to any rules-set.

For me, it's enough for any FR film to involve the lore, more than the rules.
Gyor Posted - 14 Sep 2016 : 21:52:42
I figure that one will cancel out the faults of the other, leaving only their combined strengths. Or they'll kill each other. Either way entertainment ensured.
Ayrik Posted - 14 Sep 2016 : 19:25:38
@Gyor ... so you want a Realms movie which is written like a Buffy episode with the look of a Transformers movie? Yes, you are crazy. :p
Gyor Posted - 14 Sep 2016 : 18:46:18
quote:

The movie will be based on the Forgotten Realms, it may or may have 5e mechanical influences, we don't know.

My dream team for the movie would be written by Josh Wheldon and directed by Michael Bay. Yes I'm that crazy.
Gyor Posted - 14 Sep 2016 : 18:44:41
Gary Dallison Posted - 14 Sep 2016 : 18:28:28
Well i dont think there is any danger of the movie doing well. Rpgs are by no means a mainstream hobby. Even i find it embarrassing to admit my hobby to non players.

The first film was bad, the others worse. People remember things like that. And when you go to watch a film you want a good story with consistency and depth of character, these things are not the hallmark of 5e.

So onwards fail train and hopefully TEGG will pick up the pieces.
Ayrik Posted - 14 Sep 2016 : 18:19:40
quote:

This isn't without presidence, White Wolf used to have a licence to do Ravenloft novels and I believe another company had the licence for Dragon Lance for a time as well.

True, WotC has licensed segments of their D&D franchise. Circa 2001-2005 they were experimenting with OGL and D20, they were attempting to recover from TSR's mismanagement and were being (forcibly?) restructured by their new Hasbro overlords, they weren't quite as paranoid about digital piracy, and they weren't yet wary of mighty startups like Paizo. Times have changed, Wizbro clutches desperately on keeping (and monetizing) what they have left, they are obsessively paranoid about piracy and aggressively territorial about brand infringement.

D&D novels have already been culled to a meager minimum. I can't speak for D&D authors but it's obvious that there were once many and there are now few, it seems to me that WotC is just not interested in keeping their novels on the shelves. If they're not interested in or able to publish for themselves then they're probably very reluctant to publish through outsourcing.
Brimstone Posted - 14 Sep 2016 : 15:16:42
Help us Ed Greenwood, you are our only hope...
Gyor Posted - 14 Sep 2016 : 15:12:21
All I know is I hope Ed tries.
The Sage Posted - 14 Sep 2016 : 14:41:06
quote:

I wonder if the powers that be here at Candlekeep while suggest this to Ed Greenwood.

Unlikely.

As Krash noted above, and as Ed has said in the past, legal wrangling and issues of content and ownership are extraordinarily fickle these days - to the point where it becomes very difficult to determine where and when a license for the Realms content should end.

And after 20+ years of shared-world workings and multitudes of authors, game designers, and artists all playing in the Realms sandbox, this would hardly be an issue that could be resolved without some kind of legal merry-go-round... which, frankly, would likely last years.
Irennan Posted - 14 Sep 2016 : 14:09:20
I've seen people saying that Ed has said that he'd be really happy if this happened. However, I haven't read anything from Ed himself about that.
George Krashos Posted - 14 Sep 2016 : 12:53:56
Great idea. Not going to happen until the FR film gets off the ground. If it is a success, then zero chance of that happening. If it bombs badly, maybe. I'm hoping that it bombs bigtime.

-- George Krashos
Brimstone Posted - 14 Sep 2016 : 12:45:04
This might be Ed's intention from the Beginning of TEGG...
Gary Dallison Posted - 14 Sep 2016 : 12:00:48
I would be thrilled for WoTC to let someone else, especially TEGG, develop FR.

However, TEGG have a whopping 12 settings that they are trying to get off the ground. Taking on anothee setting that is owned by another company is probably not in their best interests.

Maybe in 5 years. Give WoTC a chance to release 4 more editions of DnD, complete with world changing apocalypses and century long time jumps.

Plus if i were licencing FR, im not sure i couls trust WoTC not to revoke the whole deal at a moments notice. They have done it with dragon, with several digital tools, with the first lot of pdfs they released, with DDO. They just arent dependable bedfellows.
Gyor Posted - 14 Sep 2016 : 10:56:13
I wonder if the powers that be here at Candlekeep while suggest this to Ed Greenwood.
BARDOBARBAROS Posted - 14 Sep 2016 : 10:28:42
Yes, it's an excellent idea

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000