Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Candlekeep's Wards

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
The Arcanamach Posted - 23 Dec 2013 : 14:40:49
Besides the obvious wards preventing the burning/damaging of books, what are the wards around CK? And, are they on par with a mythal? If any location outside of an elven city deserves a mythal, it's CK.
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Zireael Posted - 20 Mar 2014 : 08:33:53
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Heh. My apologies for the mistyping. Comes from using a portable device in an airport, plus my advancing age (failing eyesight, fumbling fingers, so buttons undone, avid scribes... ). II meant 2014, of course, not 2104. Though I fondly wish Ed WOULD still be alive and writing then; one light of kind and fond entertainment in a chaotic, often dark world.
love to all,
THO

Waiting anxiously for the Herald, then.
The Arcanamach Posted - 27 Dec 2013 : 07:20:46
From page 32 of Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast:

The citadel bears mighty, many-layered wards that prevent anything from burning except wicks and wax, prevent the operation of teleportational magics and many other destructive spells, kill all molds and insects (such as paper wasps), prevent the entry of bookworms, and have other, secret properties. Because of these wards candle lamps are often used, but no paper can ignite anywhere in the Keep. An additional ward...prevents entry into the Inner Rooms except to those bearing a token. [These] tokens are built into the staves of office borne by the Keeper, the Gatewarden, and the First Reader. These are known as glow staves for their most-often-used power. If one fails to utter or think of a watchword when passing a ward boundary by means of a token, all bearers of other ward tokens are instantly made aware of the location of the ward breaching, regardless of where the other ward bearers are on Faerun.

And that is all that I know of concerning the Keep's wards. I'm sure we can reasonably conjecture on what many of the wards are, but I'm hoping we will get a solid idea one day.
The Sage Posted - 25 Dec 2013 : 02:31:06
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I believe (IIRC) Candlekeep is now 'off the coast', as it were, in the 4e setting. Somehow, they thought the sea levels dropping (in an entirely different sea!) would cause the keep to be separated from the mainland. (even if it were affected, the precise opposite should have happened, and it should no longer be near the coast).
You're assuming that the Spellplague was the direct result of Candlekeep's fate in 4e. But I recall a tidbit from Brian James back in 2009 that suggests this wasn't entirely all the case.

From what we know, strong magic of unknown origin keeps it from plummeting into the Sea of Swords raging below. It's the unkwnown descriptor that's interesting. And suggests, to me at least, that *something* may have been going on at Candlekeep that was completely unrelated to the Spellplague, and yet still produced this curious happening for the library.

It's just a shame that the recent history of Candlekeep hasn't been more detailed.
Markustay Posted - 24 Dec 2013 : 16:50:25
I believe (IIRC) Candlekeep is now 'off the coast', as it were, in the 4e setting. Somehow, they thought the sea levels dropping (in an entirely different sea!) would cause the keep to be separated from the mainland. (even if it were affected, the precise opposite should have happened, and it should no longer be near the coast).

As much as the logic of all that completely falls apart, I actually love the idea that Candleeep was somehow 'protected' from the geographic madness, and is now on an out-cropping of rock just off the coast, protected by some sort of fantastical bridge (I am actually picturing the 'leap of faith' from the Indian Jones movie, but I am sure Ed could come up with something awesome).
The Hooded One Posted - 24 Dec 2013 : 16:41:44
Heh. My apologies for the mistyping. Comes from using a portable device in an airport, plus my advancing age (failing eyesight, fumbling fingers, so buttons undone, avid scribes... ). II meant 2014, of course, not 2104. Though I fondly wish Ed WOULD still be alive and writing then; one light of kind and fond entertainment in a chaotic, often dark world.
love to all,
THO
Jeremy Grenemyer Posted - 24 Dec 2013 : 09:24:42
quote:

Heh. A not-so-little birdie tells me that Ed's forthcoming (June 2104) novel THE HERALD will provide quite an interesting answer to your questions, The Arcanamach.
Which means, of course, said answers are NDA right now.
love,
THO
And would also explain why some of my previous Candlekeep lore inquiries rand smack into a monolithic, impossible to overcome NDA.

Which is a good thing, mind, because collecting lore from the novels is a fun pastime of mine.

Looking forward to "The Herald".
Alruane Posted - 24 Dec 2013 : 07:28:31
I'd like to search for clues and answers as to how it came to be TRULY, as well as what keeps it so safe. What wards there are, how it came to be so protected, everything! It's a truly interesting place along the Sword Coast.
Xar Zarath Posted - 24 Dec 2013 : 06:22:36
A lot of beings have a vested interest in the safety and continuance of Candlekeep, as well as some wanting it gone so that the information/lore can be theirs.

Larloch himself archives certain tomes in Candlekeep, one of them being chapters of Rhaugilaths "Of the Fall of Netheril", and if the Uberlich keeps his books there, the defences of Candlekeep can only be imagined.
Markustay Posted - 24 Dec 2013 : 00:36:48
Ed will be alive in June 2104? My god! He IS the same Ed Greenwood as the one from the post-sundering D&D earth!

And not only will he be alive, but apparently he'll still be writing FR novels... Yay!
Ayrik Posted - 23 Dec 2013 : 23:03:02
Candlekeep is reasonably well warded by the latest Microsoft IIGS Service Pack, methinks. While not utterly impervious, it contains many useful mechanisms for deterring intruders and recovering lost lore.
Eilserus Posted - 23 Dec 2013 : 22:33:44
quote:

Heh. A not-so-little birdie tells me that Ed's forthcoming (June 2104) novel THE HERALD will provide quite an interesting answer to your questions, The Arcanamach.
love,
THO

I knew Ed was immortal or a Chosen or something! hehehe
Demzer Posted - 23 Dec 2013 : 22:09:19
quote:
(June 2104)

Ouch, and here i thought we would be done with the Sundering by 2014, looks like we got hit by another time-jump!
The Arcanamach Posted - 23 Dec 2013 : 21:39:22
You are such a tease! But thanks for the answer dear lady.
The Hooded One Posted - 23 Dec 2013 : 21:29:15
love,
THO
Markustay Posted - 23 Dec 2013 : 14:58:30
I get the feeling that Candlekeep is much older then anyone lets on, or rather, that something was there before the current keep. Something built before the coming of man.

What that basically means is that the current guardians of knowledge are just that, and that there are layers upon layers of secrets - both magical and mundane - buried in Candlekeep.

But I am not Ed Greenwood... not even close. And although he is the one that first introduced us to Candlekeep, I doubt even he knows all of its mysteries.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000