Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Candlekeep's Wards
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1845 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2013 :  14:40:49  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Besides the obvious wards preventing the burning/damaging of books, what are the wards around CK? And, are they on par with a mythal? If any location outside of an elven city deserves a mythal, it's CK.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2013 :  14:58:30  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I get the feeling that Candlekeep is much older then anyone lets on, or rather, that something was there before the current keep. Something built before the coming of man.

What that basically means is that the current guardians of knowledge are just that, and that there are layers upon layers of secrets - both magical and mundane - buried in Candlekeep.

But I am not Ed Greenwood... not even close. And although he is the one that first introduced us to Candlekeep, I doubt even he knows all of its mysteries.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 23 Dec 2013 14:58:48
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2013 :  21:29:15  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh. A not-so-little birdie tells me that Ed's forthcoming (June 2104) novel THE HERALD will provide quite an interesting answer to your questions, The Arcanamach.
Which means, of course, said answers are NDA right now.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1845 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2013 :  21:39:22  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You are such a tease! But thanks for the answer dear lady.

Go to Top of Page

Demzer
Senior Scribe

873 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2013 :  22:09:19  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One
(June 2104)

Ouch, and here i thought we would be done with the Sundering by 2014, looks like we got hit by another time-jump!
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2013 :  22:33:44  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Heh. A not-so-little birdie tells me that Ed's forthcoming (June 2104) novel THE HERALD will provide quite an interesting answer to your questions, The Arcanamach.
love,
THO

I knew Ed was immortal or a Chosen or something! hehehe
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7981 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2013 :  23:03:02  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Candlekeep is reasonably well warded by the latest Microsoft IIGS Service Pack, methinks. While not utterly impervious, it contains many useful mechanisms for deterring intruders and recovering lost lore.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2013 :  00:36:48  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed will be alive in June 2104? My god! He IS the same Ed Greenwood as the one from the post-sundering D&D earth!

And not only will he be alive, but apparently he'll still be writing FR novels... Yay!

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 24 Dec 2013 00:40:26
Go to Top of Page

Xar Zarath
Senior Scribe

Malaysia
552 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2013 :  06:22:36  Show Profile Send Xar Zarath a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A lot of beings have a vested interest in the safety and continuance of Candlekeep, as well as some wanting it gone so that the information/lore can be theirs.

Larloch himself archives certain tomes in Candlekeep, one of them being chapters of Rhaugilaths "Of the Fall of Netheril", and if the Uberlich keeps his books there, the defences of Candlekeep can only be imagined.

Everything ends where it begins. Period.

Go to Top of Page

Alruane
Senior Scribe

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2013 :  07:28:31  Show Profile Send Alruane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd like to search for clues and answers as to how it came to be TRULY, as well as what keeps it so safe. What wards there are, how it came to be so protected, everything! It's a truly interesting place along the Sword Coast.

" I wonder if you are destined to be forgotten. Will your life fade in the shadow of greater beings?"
~Joneleth Irenicus

"Wisdom? My dear boy, wisdom is knowing that you do not know everything. Wisdom is realizing, a wise man ALWAYS has questions. Not answers."

~Alruane
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2013 :  09:24:42  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

love,
THO
And would also explain why some of my previous Candlekeep lore inquiries rand smack into a monolithic, impossible to overcome NDA.

Which is a good thing, mind, because collecting lore from the novels is a fun pastime of mine.

Looking forward to "The Herald".

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2013 :  16:41:44  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh. My apologies for the mistyping. Comes from using a portable device in an airport, plus my advancing age (failing eyesight, fumbling fingers, so buttons undone, avid scribes... ). II meant 2014, of course, not 2104. Though I fondly wish Ed WOULD still be alive and writing then; one light of kind and fond entertainment in a chaotic, often dark world.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2013 :  16:50:25  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe (IIRC) Candlekeep is now 'off the coast', as it were, in the 4e setting. Somehow, they thought the sea levels dropping (in an entirely different sea!) would cause the keep to be separated from the mainland. (even if it were affected, the precise opposite should have happened, and it should no longer be near the coast).

As much as the logic of all that completely falls apart, I actually love the idea that Candleeep was somehow 'protected' from the geographic madness, and is now on an out-cropping of rock just off the coast, protected by some sort of fantastical bridge (I am actually picturing the 'leap of faith' from the Indian Jones movie, but I am sure Ed could come up with something awesome).

Edited by - Markustay on 24 Dec 2013 16:51:58
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2013 :  02:31:06  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I believe (IIRC) Candlekeep is now 'off the coast', as it were, in the 4e setting. Somehow, they thought the sea levels dropping (in an entirely different sea!) would cause the keep to be separated from the mainland. (even if it were affected, the precise opposite should have happened, and it should no longer be near the coast).
You're assuming that the Spellplague was the direct result of Candlekeep's fate in 4e. But I recall a tidbit from Brian James back in 2009 that suggests this wasn't entirely all the case.

From what we know, strong magic of unknown origin keeps it from plummeting into the Sea of Swords raging below. It's the unkwnown descriptor that's interesting. And suggests, to me at least, that *something* may have been going on at Candlekeep that was completely unrelated to the Spellplague, and yet still produced this curious happening for the library.

It's just a shame that the recent history of Candlekeep hasn't been more detailed.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1845 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2013 :  07:20:46  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From page 32 of Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast:

The citadel bears mighty, many-layered wards that prevent anything from burning except wicks and wax, prevent the operation of teleportational magics and many other destructive spells, kill all molds and insects (such as paper wasps), prevent the entry of bookworms, and have other, secret properties. Because of these wards candle lamps are often used, but no paper can ignite anywhere in the Keep. An additional ward...prevents entry into the Inner Rooms except to those bearing a token. [These] tokens are built into the staves of office borne by the Keeper, the Gatewarden, and the First Reader. These are known as glow staves for their most-often-used power. If one fails to utter or think of a watchword when passing a ward boundary by means of a token, all bearers of other ward tokens are instantly made aware of the location of the ward breaching, regardless of where the other ward bearers are on Faerun.

And that is all that I know of concerning the Keep's wards. I'm sure we can reasonably conjecture on what many of the wards are, but I'm hoping we will get a solid idea one day.

Edited by - The Arcanamach on 27 Dec 2013 07:21:59
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2014 :  08:33:53  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Heh. My apologies for the mistyping. Comes from using a portable device in an airport, plus my advancing age (failing eyesight, fumbling fingers, so buttons undone, avid scribes... ). II meant 2014, of course, not 2104. Though I fondly wish Ed WOULD still be alive and writing then; one light of kind and fond entertainment in a chaotic, often dark world.
love to all,
THO

Waiting anxiously for the Herald, then.

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000