Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Name of Human City

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
EcThelion Posted - 01 Feb 2004 : 15:23:55
Well. I was considering placing this in the Computer Software Area, but there are so few people over there, and I've only seen The Sage over there once, and never Bookwyrm, and I was hoping that either of them had any reply to this. So I placed it here. Bite me.
(I could be presuaded to move it, though...)

Anyways; I'm making this small Module for NwN. Basically it's just a City. A Hudge City. I've been making alot of progress lately, thanks to the inspiration I've gotten form Candlekeep , but I'm starting to raech that point where I need to... erhm... figure out a name for the city... Yes. You heard me. The city has no name!

One thing important to note about this city (I haven't sorted out the geograpical location, so don't ask) is that it is a *human* city. It's inhabitans are generally only humans. Half-Elves and Dwarves are tolerated, but the other races need a very good reason to be allowed beyond it's gates. It is a fortress city, and it is known for it's... lack of morals, and is known to house several Liches, and a hudge cult of Dragon Worshippers have alot of influence within the City Walls.

Basically this city is not a place where your every day pesant would not want to live. It is, however, a haven for adventurers, as it has embraced power, in all it's forms. Mostly through magical means, and mages bear alot of influence within it's walls. The city guard is composed of few, but immensly strong, Human warriors, bred for the task, and equipped with powerful gear, made within the Citys own walls. A city that houses powerful creatures such as Liches, and the occasional Dragon, need guardians that are capable of protection it from these powers, and thus the Red Brotherhood was born.

Anyways; enough ranting. I was just wondering if anybody here could help me with the citys name? IT's not even close to completed yet, but I'm startign to get to that point where I'll have alot of 'cleaning' to do unless I figure out a name for it soon.

Thanks in advance
16   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
EcThelion Posted - 04 Feb 2004 : 13:43:04
But there will be good people in the city! It's just that most (if not all) of the peopel that controll the city think themselves to be good, rather than actually being good. (Lawful Evil, anyone?)

quote:
I think you must mean geography. "Biography" means "life mapping" and it's a story of a person's life. "Geography" is "land mapping."

I have no idea why I wrote Biorgaphy instead of Geography. I'm very much aware of the differences between the two... It suprises me even moreso that I managed to make the same mistake twice in less than 5 minutes...
Quoting mysef:
quote:
Now I jsut need the Geograpic Location to the the history straight.

Proof!!!
Shadowlord Posted - 03 Feb 2004 : 20:42:18
Hmm, it would be interesting to place such a city upon the outskirts of the realms, and have a magical barrier that prevents all who serve good from entering. Just a thought.......
Bookwyrm Posted - 03 Feb 2004 : 19:44:11
Sounds interesting.
lowtech Posted - 03 Feb 2004 : 17:45:48
It could be located on the Utter East. There's very little (if any) canonical information on that area, but its supposed to be a haven for pirates. It has sort of a British India environment superimposed on a midieval landscape. Unless they've changed that, of course...
Bookwyrm Posted - 03 Feb 2004 : 05:34:39
I think you must mean geography. "Biography" means "life mapping" and it's a story of a person's life. "Geography" is "land mapping."

I'd go with Elrond's idea of the Dragon Coast, I'd think. Unless of course anyone knows of a reason not to?
EcThelion Posted - 02 Feb 2004 : 18:37:38
Honestly I don't reall know where to place it, other than that it is a costal city. Any Ideas? I'm not exactly learned in Realms Biography.

quote:
Shorefall? Fellport? Redmouth? Horribly derivative and bland, but the best I can come up with I'm afraid Pick a few keywords and shuffle them around to see what you get is my advice.

Although, you could always be really cheesy and call it The Overdark, I suppose

Personally It's better than anything I came up with, but this friend of mine suggested Draconium, and for some odd reason I liked it. Many of the people living in the City will be Mages, Dragon Deciples, The Cult of the Dragon, The Broderhood of the Burning Blade. It kinda fits the city I gotta make-up some backgroudn for the origion of the name, though.

I'm pretty shure that I'm gonna settle with that name (Unless somebody has anything to say about it; like the City already exists (!), or it means soemthing odd )

Now I jsut need the Geograpic Location to the the history straight. I'm thinking about palcing it along the Sword coast, or Dragon Coast but, again, I am not good with Realms Biography.

Anybody got any good possible location? I'll just stick it there, and make up some odd historical events with the surrounding cities, and/or communities.
Bookwyrm Posted - 02 Feb 2004 : 17:35:16
A lot of cities in the Realms have descriptive names. Waterdeep, for instance, is named because it was the name of its natural harbor (the Water Deep). Others are named after people, such as Neverwinter (a strange name for a city that far north! ). And then there are names that are just made up, as far as I know, like Luskan.

Which is it that you're looking for? Is there a prominent landmark nearby? Was the first ruler really important and (anti-)heroic? Or do you just want a fantasy name?
Fibura Gauntlet Posted - 02 Feb 2004 : 16:04:18
quote:
Anyways; enough ranting. I was just wondering if anybody here could help me with the citys name? IT's not even close to completed yet, but I'm startign to get to that point where I'll have alot of 'cleaning' to do unless I figure out a name for it soon.
Shorefall? Fellport? Redmouth? Horribly derivative and bland, but the best I can come up with I'm afraid Pick a few keywords and shuffle them around to see what you get is my advice.

Although, you could always be really cheesy and call it The Overdark, I suppose
Cult_Leader Posted - 02 Feb 2004 : 15:03:46
Umm well by the sounds of it two names came to mind. Drake's Port and Sonnovana <--- City set u much like your own in a TT game I played in.
Jacinth Greyfox Posted - 02 Feb 2004 : 07:53:32
Hmm sounds like Lankhmar or Luskan. Could be Dry Falls as well.
EcThelion Posted - 02 Feb 2004 : 05:39:39
Sorry, Cyric, but neither of those names 'ring a bell', as I would put it. As for the Cyric worshippers... I suppose they could have a temple. If they pay enough money. This is not going to be a lawless city, but rather a Evil one, yes. Lawfull Evil would be the regular Algiment by the men in high places.

Awwww... no Sage or Bookwyrm? WHAT IS COMING OF THIS WORLD!?
Cyric Posted - 01 Feb 2004 : 23:24:53
i have maney names that you could use Port Zargas,Cyric`s legacy, Rome,Darvas,Port Royal,Red Port,Dorvias,Zeratul,Port Zambas and thats about that. A cult of Cyric and the town and i for one would download it.
EcThelion Posted - 01 Feb 2004 : 16:13:39
Yeah... this city isn't exactly one that relies on Trade, if you know what I mean.
Elrond Half Elven Posted - 01 Feb 2004 : 16:06:25
I was more thinking of pirates using the City as a Safe Haven! I am not certian so someone please correct me but arn' the Cult of the Dragon especially active about Dragon Coast? I'm not certian about this. Even if they're not, it would be a great place for them to obtain certian hard to come by components for creating Dracoliches, so I'm certian that they would have some interest in the Corisars

Hanx
Elrond
EcThelion Posted - 01 Feb 2004 : 16:00:40
Well. It's a costal city, that much is for shure.

I don't think that pirates would fancy attacking it, though.
Elrond Half Elven Posted - 01 Feb 2004 : 15:53:41
It sounds like this is Westgate of Dragon Coast!

I would strongly recommend placing this illicit City on a Coast plagued by Pirates. Well actually place it anywhere it was just an idea .

As for names, thats a bit harder, I don't know how much help I can offer here.

Hanx
Elrond

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000