Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Some Hope...

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Markustay Posted - 11 Jan 2009 : 19:34:24
I tried to figure out a title everyone would click on, without throwing in any sort of '3e vs 4e' references.

So I've been slowly working my way up to a new idea, which I've only brought into it's 'full glory' in the last day or two, with the help of input by various posters on BOTH sides of the fence. I think there may be a light at the end of the tunnel for FR, if the guys at WotC would just listen to ALL the fans.

Thats why I posted this here, even though I have been bandying the idea about in several threads over at WotC boards - strangely enough, I think its more likey to garner official attention here then there.

Here it is...

Novels should be set in the past - ALL of them. I have been getting feedback from many of the people who are running and enjoying 'the New Realms'... and they don't want any novels! Many of them feel that is what ruined FR for them the first time around - the constant RSE's, and all the lore certain players knew more about then their DMs. Most of the guys I have spoken with say that they always wanted to run FR, but were driven off by the lore - mostly the novels! In fact, at least one has gone as far as saying he will "play in the new Realms... until the novels ruin it again".

Hmmmmmm... you don't say? <evil grin>

The other thing I have come to note in the past three years of my quest to devour everything 'Realmsian' is that most of the REALLY big lore-jockeys - those people who most of us go to with FR questions - don't even PLAY in the Realms! <gasp>

For instance (and I hope he doesn't get annoyed by my using him here), Lord Karsus (Dagnirion here) is the main author/project manager of the Elves of Faerûn, more commonly known as the Elven Netbook. Did you know he doesn't play in the Realms? He plays in his own homebrew! In fact, my own Realms are so completely changed from the official one I'd have to call it a homebrew as well.

So, the bottom line is, most of the people who read the novels DON'T play the damn game... or at least not in the Realms. Most of the folks who play in the realms - most especially the people now using the New Realms - don't want anything to do with novels.

What if they kept all the novels in the past (Ye' old Realms), and all the source material (including Dragon articles) in the 4eFR era? Naturally, there would be some cross-pollination, but for the most part, I think this would be the far more lucrative route for WotC - catering to each group with a different product branch. In time, I think it would even 'heal' the rift in the fanbase - everyone would have what they want. We'd get conclusions to all those great story-lines from the past (a'la Schend's Blackstaff Tower), and the new players won't have to worry about novels "ruining their game".

Whats everyone think? I've posed this over at WotC, and I have to say I was VERY surprised - so far I have a 100% consensus by everyone - something unheard of on the Net! This has got to be the first 'solution' to anything anyone has posed that both sides (and all the extremists and neutrals as well) can totally get onboard with! I have total agreement right now (until someone comes along and ruins it), and I think even most of the authors would really like this. In fact, here is something I added to my last post over there -

quote:

Edit: In fact, I'd be willing to bet money that both RAS and Ed - their two big author cash-cows - would prefer to write in the past. They were the only two from the original meeting who were against the 4e Realms from the start (although they eventually came onboard - I have a feeling it was more of a "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" thing, but whatever).

There may be a couple of authors that may prefer to write in the 'lore-lite world of 4eFR', but they have to ask themselves - are they writing stories so they can hear themselves talk, or are they writing them to make money? In the long run, I think far more past-focused novels would sell then anything set in the 'modern' era. After all, I have thus-far gotten a consensus that 4e DMs DON'T WANT 4e novels set in FR!

It seems to me to be a no-brainer to give everyone exactly what they want, and in time everyone will be back on the same page - with people just loving the Realms, instead of complaining about everything that is wrong with it. In fact, I'm sure many DMs like myself could enjoy both - gaming in the new Realms for the Freedom it provides, and digging into all the nooks and crannies of the past in the novels. In retrospect, I can see now that the fanbase was always divided into 'lore addicts' and 'FR players' (with, of course, a few people being both - those are the ones that are now the 'neutrals' about the changes).

This is truly a 'Have your cake and eat it too' solution.

I think the responses here will be the REAL test, and I'd love to hear from some of the 'published types' as well. Please don't post vitriol either way here - I just want people's take on this idea. Complaining about "wanting it to go back to the way it used to be" is unproductive, and is never going to happen. At least this way, we will all still have a part of the Realms we enjoy.

Thanks for listening --- Mark T.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
sneakypetev Posted - 16 Jan 2009 : 09:09:23
Before 4E I played in FR and read FR novels. My group,DM, and myself did not like the changes made in FR 4E so we played 4E in Ebberon. After 5 months, we all decided we did not like 4E and now we are trying Pathfinder's 3.5 and it's campaign world. Despite my dislike for 4E and total disgust w/ FR 4E I find myself still reading FR novels( so far). Like 4E RPG I am giving 4E FR novels a fair try, besides I want to know what happened to many of the popular characters of the Realms. IMHO FR authors will do well w/ readers if they continue to write good stories whether it be in the past, present or future Realms.
Thalos_Milathriel Posted - 16 Jan 2009 : 01:53:39
I'm all for this. Give the authors freedom to finish up storylines and characters from the 3E Realms and give Realms fans even MORE stuff to love (in time, perhaps) with 4E Realms!

Good idea Markustay!
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 16 Jan 2009 : 01:44:14
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage
Each season would seem to have it's own time in Evermeet, affecting its climate specific ways, as this passage from Elves of Evermeet suggests:-

"... is most accurate to say that each season is perfect, embodying the time's essence, while at the same time never growing extreme enough to become dangerous."

Thanks for the information.
The Sage Posted - 15 Jan 2009 : 23:28:04
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

It does snow on Evermeet, and the Evermeet novel even has a scene set in a snowy glade (the one in which Amlaruil meets Zaor, IIRC).

Evermeet might be beautiful, but it's not exactly tropical...

Each season would seem to have it's own time in Evermeet, affecting its climate specific ways, as this passage from Elves of Evermeet suggests:-

"... is most accurate to say that each season is perfect, embodying the time's essence, while at the same time never growing extreme enough to become dangerous."
Ardashir Posted - 15 Jan 2009 : 17:46:34
Concerning novel events: I'd say that they don't have to happen in your gmae unless you want them to -- but you should tell the players as much beforehand.

Also, I've tried to write Realmsian fanfic, but I vastly prefer using my own characters. More famous ones might have a 'walk-on' but that's it. I know better than to mess with someone else's character...
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 15 Jan 2009 : 16:55:09
It does snow on Evermeet, and the Evermeet novel even has a scene set in a snowy glade (the one in which Amlaruil meets Zaor, IIRC).

Evermeet might be beautiful, but it's not exactly tropical...
Alisttair Posted - 15 Jan 2009 : 14:53:13
quote:
Originally posted by Zanan

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

It snows on Evermeet?

Yes. From Elves of Evermeet pg. 12:- "Winter brings with it snows and chill winds."

Wouldn't that imply that Auril may have a look-in on Evermeet ... if she wanted to?

Auril is making me angry right now in the Real World (-31 Celsius + windchill).

But for Evermeet, Auril can probably look in, but she probably doesn't have it out for the elves there I imagine (could be wrong though).
Zanan Posted - 15 Jan 2009 : 14:26:54
quote:

quote:

It snows on Evermeet?

Yes. From Elves of Evermeet pg. 12:- "Winter brings with it snows and chill winds."

Wouldn't that imply that Auril may have a look-in on Evermeet ... if she wanted to?
phal Posted - 15 Jan 2009 : 09:15:58
One more small vote for the original post's idea. I like it.

I've always been a sucker for a good story. My DMing and playing in the Realms and out of it has always been about telling an interesting story. The Realms is a particularly rich setting for some characters to have adventures and build memories, so we've returned there often. There's so many different things going on at once, and all for very good reasons, it's easy to play out.

I enjoy fan fiction plenty, as long as they're true to the characters and their motivations. But I enjoy stories told by the original story tellers even more. Finishing up what happened to Christie Golden's characters, or Elaine's, or even Larloch would certainly scratch that itch for me.

I probably still won't touch anything 4th edition stuff, but that's the beauty of this compromise. I wouldn't have too, and could still pick and chose what I want to use and what to ignore. Good stuff.

The threat title was very well picked. This would give me some hope . .
Wooly Rupert Posted - 15 Jan 2009 : 07:13:01
quote:
Originally posted by ranger_of_the_unicorn_run

Oh, and Wooley, Azure Bonds has kind of a small "RSE" in the form of the confrontation with Moandar. I know it isn't the end of it, but it does have an impact on things.

Honestly, nothing in that book is of a large enough scale to be called an RSE. The two largest events were the deaths of Moander and Mist. Mist fell on a single city and destroyed a portion of it. Moander was already reduced to next to no influence at all in the Realms. So neither death had any real impact beyond Westgate. It's simply too small to be called a Realms-Shaking Event, and barely even qualifies as a Region-Shaking Event.
ranger_of_the_unicorn_run Posted - 15 Jan 2009 : 03:09:58
This is really dissapointing. I was really looking forward to hearing more about the realm that Lamruil was supposed to found, but they just threw it away? *shakes head* Just another grudge I'll have against 4e. It seems like WotC has set their sites on a complete reboot of FR, but if that's what they wanted, I think they should have just made a new setting.

Oh, and Wooley, Azure Bonds has kind of a small "RSE" in the form of the confrontation with Moandar. I know it isn't the end of it, but it does have an impact on things.
The Sage Posted - 14 Jan 2009 : 23:02:06
quote:

It snows on Evermeet?

Wooly Rupert Posted - 14 Jan 2009 : 17:22:10
quote:

It snows on Evermeet?

I'd honestly never looked at the pic long enough to notice the snow in the background.
Markustay Posted - 14 Jan 2009 : 16:24:03
It snows on Evermeet?
Wooly Rupert Posted - 14 Jan 2009 : 15:48:23
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:

However, the city itself - in all it's grandeur - is on the cover of the novel!

I believe that was actually pointed out to me by Brian James (although I could be mistaken).

Ergo, we must assume that the city was indeed founded, since the novel does include a picture of it.

Well, I always assumed that was a picture of some place on Evermeet.

Ditto.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 14 Jan 2009 : 14:53:51
quote:

I believe that was actually pointed out to me by Brian James (although I could be mistaken).

Ergo, we must assume that the city was indeed founded, since the novel does include a picture of it.

Well, I always assumed that was a picture of some place on Evermeet.
Markustay Posted - 14 Jan 2009 : 04:17:21
That would have worked as well, but it would of taken from the tree's uniqueness.

Personally, I think if they had found the tree dead in the new city (sorry - can't remember the name ATM), and Lamruil had gone back to his mother to report not only the loss of his future queen, but the loss of the tree, it would have had more meaning...

Then when the Elves returned to Myth Drannor, and retook their city and buried their dead...

they found a NEW tree growing on the spot the next morning... and see a sign of Corellon Larethion fading away... almost as if it was never there...

But alas, the 'continuity glitch' had already been written, so that wasn't really possible.

So, without sourcebooks, novels set in pre-4e, and possibly no CKC's on the horizon, where do I go to get my 'fix' now.

I'm going through withdrawel here (and my old books are getting a little 'ratty' from all the re-reads).

I'm getting desperate...
George Krashos Posted - 13 Jan 2009 : 22:46:02
My original suggestion (which wasn't taken up) was to actually have the Tree of Souls planted in Lamruil's realm. It would have been badly damaged in the Rage of Dragons but then 'fruited' with the coming spring with two of the precious pods taken back to Evermeet and planted there (in pots) and both growing into saplings.

It was one of those saplings, a scion of the Tree of Souls, that was given to the elves of reclaimed Myth Drannor. The reason the Queen of Evermeet told the elve sof Myth Drannor that she was giving them THE Tree of Souls (rather than A Tree of Souls) was to protect Lamruil's safehaven and secret realm in the North.

I also postulated that each Tree was different in its powers and effects.

-- George Krashos
Wooly Rupert Posted - 13 Jan 2009 : 19:46:12
quote:
Originally posted by Quale

I think this is a great idea

it would mean less RSEs, the authors would concentrate more on the obscure parts of the world that have never been detailed

and the 5e transition would be easier when the 100 year jump is erased and the designers wouldn't feel so bad about what they have done

There hasn't been anything preventing them on focusing on more obscure parts, nor has there been any setting-driven need for RSEs. Nothing needs to be changed for them to actually give us what we want, and nothing needed to be changed.
Quale Posted - 13 Jan 2009 : 19:33:48
I think this is a great idea

it would mean less RSEs, the authors would concentrate more on the obscure parts of the world that have never been detailed

and the 5e transition would be easier when the 100 year jump is erased and the designers wouldn't feel so bad about what they have done
Markustay Posted - 13 Jan 2009 : 19:20:05
Ahhhh...

Thats the funny part - he was leaving to found just such a city, but hadn't actually left at the end.

Thats probably the main reason why they couldn't just say "Lamruil never got the chance".

Instead we got all that weirdness about the Tree being brought back to Evermeet and then sent off the Myth Drannor.

As a side note (and I don't want to derail my own thread anymore then I have to) - I personally always felt it should have gone to Myth Drannor - thats the exact place I thought of when I first read about the Tree in the Evermeet sourcebook. So while I am happy to see it made it to where I felt it 'belonged', I am unhappy about the retcon. I beleive that lore, once written, should bever be changed.

The solution George came up with is adequate, though, and probably the best that could be used given the circumstances.

@Wooly - I do get the impression that there is a certain amount of 'Entitlement' (to use their own lingo against them) by the 'in-house' guys concerning the 'toys' of the setting. It seems as if a freelancer uses something they wanted to, they just overwrite what the other person wrote... which isn't very polite in a 'shared' setting.

I had more here, but this has gone on long enough, and I'm sorry for the interruption.

On a related subject (and also trying to change the current subject) - How can WotC possibly be making as much money as before, if they are not producing tons of sourcebooks?

Was the DDi supposed to provide most of their income? Was that the plan? I just don't understand how the 'lore-lite' approach to a setting is helping a company that is in business to sell books.

This is related to the original topic, in that we are getting very little in the way of Realmslore these days. It just seem strange to me that all of the sales are geared to two sourcebooks a year, a few adventures, and novels.

Were the splatbooks that non-profittable, that they have gone nearly novel-only for print?

I'm just desperate for more 'old-school' realms-love these days, and I'm just not seeing it.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 13 Jan 2009 : 18:30:59
quote:

Thats a discussion for another thread. I've seen the "Novels/lore ruined my games!" argument time and again over at WotC, and while I have been finally convinced of it's veracity (to some extent), I still place the majority of the blame with the DMs who let their players run the game, instead of the other way around.

Indeed, this debate has been the source of a lot of recent strife over on the WotC boards.

quote:
Originally posted by ErskineF
The city she created at the end of her awesome novel was named, and then destroyed, in one or two lines in the GHotR.

Just a question--did Lamruil actually found a city by the end of that novel, or did he just state his intention to do that? There's a difference. I just don't recall the details.
ErskineF Posted - 13 Jan 2009 : 17:25:53
quote:

Its not really my place to be her spokesperson, but they got rid of Halruaa and Evermeet - two major regions she helped detail - and they took the Tree of Life to another place, completely negating the ending of Evermeet.

Those are 4e changes?

quote:
The city she created at the end of her awesome novel was named, and then destroyed, in one or two lines in the GHotR.

quote:
So far they've left Liriel alone, but it's probably only because she slipped under the radar.

She's a hot drow femme fatale. Who'd want to get rid of that?
Wooly Rupert Posted - 13 Jan 2009 : 17:22:52
quote:

quote:

I haven't kept current on news about the authors. Can you give me more of the story on that, or tell me where to find it?
Its not really my place to be her spokesperson, but they got rid of Halruaa and Evermeet - two major regions she helped detail - and they took the Tree of Life to another place, completely negating the ending of Evermeet.

So far they've left Liriel alone, but it's probably only because she slipped under the radar.

Not to mention, they basically took all of her moonblade ideas and went in a totally different direction with them...

It almost comes across, though, as if it's believed they were deliberately sidelining her. I can't see them doing that... I think it's more of what I've been noticing since 3E came out: continuity has simply become less and less important.
ErskineF Posted - 13 Jan 2009 : 17:18:40
quote:
Originally posted by Uzzy

Now, lets take a game set in Cormyr. You decide, for a change, to move up north to the Dalelands, to have a adventure in the ruins of Myth Drannor. A player, who has kept up with those novels, thinks 'Oh! We are off to see the Elves in Myth Drannor!', innocently assuming that this is the current situation. However, as a DM, you've decided to not let those novels affect your game. This can lead to a clash between player and DM, which isn't good.

The way I see that conversation going is that I say I'm not incorporating those events into the campaign, and the player says, "Oh, okay." Why should he say anything else? I suppose he might ask why not, and I would tell him, and then he would say, "Oh, okay."

Have other DMs encountered players who thought it appropriate to dictate to them how they should run the Realms? If so, how did you deal with it?
Markustay Posted - 13 Jan 2009 : 17:11:45
Thats a discussion for another thread. I've seen the "Novels/lore ruined my games!" argument time and again over at WotC, and while I have been finally convinced of it's veracity (to some extent), I still place the majority of the blame with the DMs who let their players run the game, instead of the other way around.

But you can't tell THEM that...

Anyway, I don't want to get in trouble for derailing my own thread, soooo... anymore comments about what era we'd rather see novels in?

quote:

I haven't kept current on news about the authors. Can you give me more of the story on that, or tell me where to find it?

Uzzy Posted - 13 Jan 2009 : 16:25:33
quote:
Originally posted by Matt James

quote:
Originally posted by Wenin

DMs that don't like novels interfereing with their game, must examine why the novels are interferring with their game.

I think this is a very important notion that DMs need to self evaluate. Even if not the orignial intent of Wenin, it is the exact question they should be using when forging what they hope to get out of the game or what they hope their players will glean.

Good point. I'd like to expand on that.

Novels interfere with ones game when they start to change the Core Assumptions of the Realms (This of course requires players to be up to date with the novels). As an example of Core Assumptions changing, lets take the Return of the Archwizards and the Last Mythal trilogy. Prior to those two novels, the Elven Race on Faerún, while not in decline, had been in retreat for many years, and was generally 'hidden'. After both, the Elven Race on Faerún has been thrust to the forefront, with Evereska highly exposed, and Myth Drannor having been restored.

Now, lets take a game set in Cormyr. You decide, for a change, to move up north to the Dalelands, to have a adventure in the ruins of Myth Drannor. A player, who has kept up with those novels, thinks 'Oh! We are off to see the Elves in Myth Drannor!', innocently assuming that this is the current situation. However, as a DM, you've decided to not let those novels affect your game. This can lead to a clash between player and DM, which isn't good.

Now, one way to resolve this would be if the novels published for the Realms weren't RSE's. Then it doesn't matter where or when they are set, as they are concentrating more on the characters and small scale events, rather then blowing up large parts of the world, which increases the chance of them impacting on individual DM's game world.
ErskineF Posted - 13 Jan 2009 : 15:49:34
quote:

About Elaine - I really doubt she'll be coming back - they pretty much went out of their way to wipe-out everything she did in the Realms.

Matt James Posted - 13 Jan 2009 : 14:38:46
quote:
Originally posted by Wenin

DMs that don't like novels interfereing with their game, must examine why the novels are interferring with their game.

I think this is a very important notion that DMs need to self evaluate. Even if not the orignial intent of Wenin, it is the exact question they should be using when forging what they hope to get out of the game or what they hope their players will glean.
Markustay Posted - 13 Jan 2009 : 14:07:14
Allowing authors to write novels in whatever era they like would probably be the best solution, since the writers can then write exactly what THEY want (which always makes for a better story - I can usually tell when something feels 'forced' in a novel).

In fact, if the novels were taking place all over the place chronologicaly, like they do in some other series (even WoT went backwards with New Sprong), I don't think people would even have a leg to stand on with their arguments about which is the 'correct' timeframe for FR.

After all, could someone tell me what the correct 'date' of Star Trek is right now? Not only did the last series (Enterprise) go pre-original series, but the movie coming out is going to be about the original crew, but with different actors.

Or better yet - whats the timeframe Doctor Who takes place in?

If we have a break from a set timeframe in the novels, people won't have as much to argue about when the game-setting skips around. However, if you force all the writers to write in the current game era, then you are also forcing the readers to read in that era- and people generally don't like to be 'forced' into anything. You are literally taking the choice out of the fan's hands as to 'which version' of FR they must follow.

Just my thoughts for the day - make of them what you will.

About Elaine - I really doubt she'll be coming back - they pretty much went out of their way to wipe-out everything she did in the Realms.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000