Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 How do you explain RP?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Brynweir Posted - 08 Dec 2007 : 02:07:06
The subject of RP has come up at work, mostly because we were discussing hobbies, and I tried to explain about FR and RP. They think I'm crazy. The only RP and fantasy they understand is...well, you know.

So the question is, how do you explain what we do to someone who has never so much as read a fantasy adventure novel?
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Skeptic Posted - 13 Dec 2007 : 06:40:31
quote:
Originally posted by EvilKnight

If I may point you in a few directions. Fear the Boot (www.feartheboot.com) had a podcast recently on this subject. I would also point out The Harrow RPG section (http://www.theharrow.com/rpg/). What Is Roleplaying? is a good article found there.

I've given a read to the Harrow RPG section. IMHO, the answer given for "what is roleplaying", including the examples of actual play are to be avoided. If someone wants to know why, use PM.
Skeptic Posted - 13 Dec 2007 : 06:37:55
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

D&D was a fun and exciting game, constructed to be just that.

Oh, I'm finally not alone here
EvilKnight Posted - 13 Dec 2007 : 04:11:38
If I may point you in a few directions. Fear the Boot (www.feartheboot.com) had a podcast recently on this subject. I would also point out The Harrow RPG section (http://www.theharrow.com/rpg/). What Is Roleplaying? is a good article found there.

EvilKnight
Jorkens Posted - 11 Dec 2007 : 06:36:12
Well, D&D (to me) is/was a great Role-playing game, but not the best Role-playing system. Other games did a better job if you are more of the story-oriented type. D&D was a fun and exciting game, constructed to be just that.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 11 Dec 2007 : 01:07:39
quote:
Originally posted by Skeptic

Don't get me wrong, D&D can be a very fun game, it's just so sad that many people think that D&D = RPG and RPG = D&D.

I know, it's just twagic.

Brynweir, introduce non-gamers to D&D and let them roleplay their characters to their heart's desire.
Brynweir Posted - 11 Dec 2007 : 00:39:09
I was introduced to RP through D&D in college and I LOVE it! I've played a few other systems and they don't seem to have the richness, the flavor you find with the D&D system. Just MHO.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 11 Dec 2007 : 00:30:14
Of course, some of us think D&D is a fine RPG system, and would happily recommend it to any and all newcomers. Thirty-plus years of existence, with millions of people all over the world having enjoyed it, is a pretty positive recommendation.
Skeptic Posted - 10 Dec 2007 : 23:43:16
quote:
Originally posted by Brynweir

I never meant for this to start a debate (which could get banned). I was really just trying to get ideas for how to explain to non-gamers.

The only suggestion I could make to you if you want to introduce non-gamers to roleplaying, is to not begin with D&D (or one of his relatives).

Don't get me wrong, D&D can be a very fun game, it's just so sad that many people think that D&D = RPG and RPG = D&D.
Brynweir Posted - 10 Dec 2007 : 22:48:41
I never meant for this to start a debate (which could get banned). I was really just trying to get ideas for how to explain to non-gamers.
Wenin Posted - 10 Dec 2007 : 20:08:41
I'm seeing where this is going, and can now understand why it's a banned topic. =)
Skeptic Posted - 10 Dec 2007 : 20:00:53
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great question. I don't think so, personally, because calling a game "educational" implies that there's another agenda behind it other than simply having fun (and, IMO, implies that "just having fun" simply isn't a valuable use of time).

I agree, the purpose of games (in general) is to have fun. I learned English partially because of D&D, but that was never the purpose.

Btw..

Saying that the purpose of a game is fun shouldn't be confused with identifying the goal of a particular game.

The goal of chess is to put the adversary in a check-mate position, the goal of Monopoly is to be rich enough to make the others agree that the game is over (no one really play it up to the end ), etc.

Of course, identifying to goal of a role-playing game seems more difficult...
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 10 Dec 2007 : 19:54:30
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

But should D&D be described as "educational" to non-gamers? (To their parents, maybe, but to them...?)

Great question. I don't think so, personally, because calling a game "educational" implies that there's another agenda behind it other than simply having fun (and, IMO, implies that "just having fun" simply isn't a valuable use of time).
Jamallo Kreen Posted - 10 Dec 2007 : 19:49:04
quote:

quote:
I'm not arguing the merits of D&D, just offering one example of how to explain the game to some people who might consider themselves too well-educated or too "cool" to play it.

On that note (education), I'm amazed at how many new things I've learned (like obsure vocabulary words) thanks to this hobby.

Darn tootin! From reading FR novels I've learned the correct pronunciation of several words which I had long mis-pronounced, and also learned the correct grammatical use of a couple (which I looked up in a dictionary).

Need I say that one learns a VAST amount of Medieval history by preparing games or researching a good background for a character? (AD&D's Unearthed Arcana appendix taught me more about polearms and their nomenclature than almost anyone else I know.)

But should D&D be described as "educational" to non-gamers? (To their parents, maybe, but to them...?)

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 10 Dec 2007 : 17:48:35
quote:

In a previous post, I said that acting is a component of role-playing. (But I'm not sure I would say it's a essential one)

Can you copy this defition in your post so we can discuss it ?

By the way, when I say role-playing, I'm assuming the context is a table top role-playing game (i.e. including D&D not not limited to).

But the term "roleplaying game" must have come from somewhere.

The definition can be found on dictionary.com. I'm really not inclined to debate the topic any further, because I don't want to, and because it's already very close to the banned topic of "What type of gaming constitutes 'real' D&D?"
Skeptic Posted - 10 Dec 2007 : 17:08:15
quote:

If acting has nothing to do whatsoever with roleplaying, than why is "acting" mentioned a few times in the definition for roleplaying on dictionary.com?

In a previous post, I said that acting is a component of role-playing. (But I'm not sure I would say it's a essential one)

Can you copy this defition in your post so we can discuss it ?

By the way, when I say role-playing, I'm assuming the context is a table top role-playing game (i.e. including D&D not not limited to).
Hawkins Posted - 10 Dec 2007 : 17:07:18
Before my wife got into Roleplaying, she called it "playing house." And even though it is an oversimplification of the concept, in a way we are "playing house." However, often plot forces us to leave that house and go split some orc heads (wait, is orc no longer a politically correct race to kill? Then I meant "gnoll" heads).
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 10 Dec 2007 : 16:58:16
If acting has nothing to do whatsoever with roleplaying, than why is "acting" mentioned a few times in the definition for roleplaying on dictionary.com?

Also, there are other types of acting besides acting in a movie...just so you all know.
Skeptic Posted - 10 Dec 2007 : 14:30:06
quote:
Originally posted by Wenin

I think what Skeptic is trying to say, in a not so kind way (maybe that is why such discussions aren't welcome on the board....) is that roleplaying is not like playing a part in a movie, because the actors don't write their own lines. It would be better to compare roleplaying to free form theater, than a movie.

Unfortunatly, that's not so simple, because when comparing movie making to role-playing, the result is often the famous "Impossible Thing Before Breakfast".

Also, you can have role-playing without having the participants being authors of a story. Two cases :

1) Sometimes the story is already written by somebody else.

2) Simply because the result of any role-playing session is not guaranteed to be a story, i.e. having addressed a premise.

Like I said above, all you need to have role-playing is some participants sharing a imagined universe (in opposition with a board game). However, different kinds of RPG adds a different mindset on top of it, some having a lot in common with board games (that's the tricky part).

For example, you can have both a RPG and a board game where the focus is on the players guts decisions and strategies.
Nimriel Posted - 10 Dec 2007 : 13:27:05
quote:

I think what Skeptic is trying to say, in a not so kind way (maybe that is why such discussions aren't welcome on the board....) is that roleplaying is not like playing a part in a movie, because the actors don't write their own lines. It would be better to compare roleplaying to free form theater, than a movie.

And what I'm trying to say is Acting and Being in a movie is two different things, you aren't an actor playing the character, you are the character.
Nimriel Posted - 10 Dec 2007 : 13:26:28
quote:

And what I'm trying to say is Acting and Being ina movie is two different things, you aren't an actor playing the character, you are the character.
Wenin Posted - 10 Dec 2007 : 12:35:55
Skeptic Posted - 10 Dec 2007 : 01:30:19
quote:
That's quite an apposite comparison.

I was just trying to attack the common accepted idea that role-playing can't be described/definited in pretty exact terms in a funny way.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 10 Dec 2007 : 00:51:49
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Nimriél
While I personally don't RP I don't belive that there are any right or wrong ways to describe it, it varies from person to person. Ok some extremes like to describe it as satanistic may be wrong, but thats besides my point.

Well, some argues that the Earth isn't spherical but flat, so I guess it's right to say that for some role-playing is equals to acting.

That's quite an apposite comparison.
Nimriel Posted - 09 Dec 2007 : 21:28:40
He didn't say it equals to acting, he sayd it was like Rp is like playing a role in a movie, not being Viggo Mortensen in the set of LotR but being Aragon in the movie. Of course that just my take.

Besides FES has some compeling evidence(photos of earth from the moon).
Skeptic Posted - 09 Dec 2007 : 21:14:59
quote:
Originally posted by Nimriél
While I personally don't RP I don't belive that there are any right or wrong ways to describe it, it varies from person to person. Ok some extremes like to describe it as satanistic may be wrong, but thats besides my point.

Well, some argues that the Earth isn't spherical but flat, so I guess it's right to say that for some role-playing is equals to acting.
Nimriel Posted - 09 Dec 2007 : 21:10:05
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by BARDOBARBAROS

Rp is like playing a role in a movie ...

No (see my previous post).

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 09 Dec 2007 : 04:11:35
quote:
I'm not arguing the merits of D&D, just offering one example of how to explain the game to some people who might consider themselves too well-educated or too "cool" to play it.

On that note (education), I'm amazed at how many new things I've learned (like obsure vocabulary words) thanks to this hobby.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 09 Dec 2007 : 04:08:18
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

It's a story like a TV show or a play where you make the decisions.
It's like telling jokes and stories, or the way you play a role in different social situations, but with continuity.
It's making your own art/entertainment with your friends, rather than consuming it.
It's part of the ancient tradition of oral storytelling, but collaborative.
It's like sexual roleplaying, but with a broader range of plots.
It's like the make-believe you played as children before disfunctional misanthropic puritan rationalist fantasies of adulthood told you to stop.

I love this response.
EvilKnight Posted - 09 Dec 2007 : 02:33:16
Like playing pretend with rules where plot directions can be decided on the outcome of dice rolls.

Mostly just people sitting around a table talking, eating, drinking, and rolling dice.

Evilknight
Skeptic Posted - 09 Dec 2007 : 01:36:55
quote:
Originally posted by Brynweir

So, it's like the make-believe you played as children in a shared imagined universe with rules everybody has to use?

Yeah (basically).

quote:
Originally posted by BARDOBARBAROS

Rp is like playing a role in a movie ...

No (see my previous post).

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000