Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Name my Shaaran boy

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Kyrene Posted - 11 May 2007 : 09:23:28
Not having access to a FRCS, could someone please name my Shaaran boy, provided it doesn't infringe on WotC copyright on that tome. He's the illegitimate son of a minor (Tashalan) Ormpur noble and a wandering-yet-not-tribal Shaaran gypsy who was generally found in and around Ormpur and thus caught the noble's eye. She fled the area when it became apparent that she was with child and the noble insisted she give it up -- or worse, perhaps abort. He may have passed on his Snake Blood (as the feat) and this may influence the name, but it should still be Shaaran to reflect the mother's ancestry and her defiance of the father.
17   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 23 May 2007 : 00:04:55
quote:
Originally posted by Kyrene

Problem is, this character is based on a David Gemmel character -- in essence, if not in background -- and I am hesitant to fall prone to Drizzt-clone mentality myself if I just go and use the name in the book (as much as it does sound African/Egyptian/Arabic). And, no, it's not Drus.

In this case I have to "overthink" it a little.

Okay, point taken.

I like "Chenzira", myself, as well as "Kijani". Those are all pretty good names though.
Matthus Posted - 22 May 2007 : 17:03:28
quote:
[
  • Mujahid (Arabic - warrior for a god)

• Isn't Mujahedin a great NO, NO ?
    It also remined my of Paul Muhadib from Dune - the translation was small desert mouse - a Name with great potential for future leaders

I like Kamau
    Wooly Rupert Posted - 22 May 2007 : 11:07:30
    I like Kijani.
    Kyrene Posted - 22 May 2007 : 07:49:13
    quote:
    Originally posted by Asgetrion

It seems that Shaaran names (in the FRCS) are a mix of african, arabic and egyptean influences.

A followup informal poll then:
    • Junaid / Junayd (Arabic - young fighter)

• Mujahid (Arabic - warrior for a god)

• Bomani (Egyptean/African - warrior)

• Chenzira (Egyptean/African - born on a journey)

• Kijani (African - warrior)

• Kamau (African - quiet warrior)

I'm partial to two, but I'll let this pot simmer a little...
    Kyrene Posted - 22 May 2007 : 07:18:50
    Thanks all, esp. Asgetrion!

quote:
    Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

Just think of a good-sounding name and use it. I can understand doing one's best to make a name "fit" (trust me, I've been there), but sometimes overthinking things can be counter-productive.

Problem is, this character is based on a David Gemmel character -- in essence, if not in background -- and I am hesitant to fall prone to Drizzt-clone mentality myself if I just go and use the name in the book (as much as it does sound African/Egyptian/Arabic). And, no, it's not Drus.

In this case I have to "overthink" it a little.
    Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 21 May 2007 : 00:21:37
    Just think of a good-sounding name and use it. I can understand doing one's best to make a name "fit" (trust me, I've been there), but sometimes overthinking things can be counter-productive.
    Wooly Rupert Posted - 20 May 2007 : 15:57:44
    quote:
    Originally posted by Dargoth

quote:
    Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Ndalu.

Isnt that the name of a Balor!

Eh... Possibly. The name just came to me out of nowhere, last night.
    Asgetrion Posted - 20 May 2007 : 12:38:57
    quote:
    Originally posted by Zanan

Erebos, brother of Nyx, the Greek deities of "Darkness" (in the deep earth as opposed to) and "Night" respectively.

Hmmm... I personally hesitate to use RW names (especially from mythological sources) without modifying them in some way.
    Asgetrion Posted - 20 May 2007 : 12:36:54
    quote:

quote:

Hmmm... you could always simply modify some "general" Realmsian names, since intercultural influences are very common in Faerūn. All Tashalan names in FRCS are very "african" in nature.

My suggestions: Jaladru, Mheirasta, Ongluru, Beldrave, Maerfu, Gwarthelve, Halifron

Hope that helps!

Actually no.

I know The Shaar is loosely based on the Serangeti with the Rift Valley, ie. Kenya, but from the picture of the Shaaryan Hunter, I got the impression Shaarans themselves are a little more like some tribes of the Native Americans or otherwise like the Mongols in appearance. However, are they culturally more like Native Americans/Mongols or more like the Masai on horseback? Does this reflect in their names?

Also I think I asked about Shaaran names, not Tashalan names, but that might not have come accross properly. Thanks for the attempted help.

Anyone else with some advice or names?

My sincere apologies! Somehow the word 'Tashalan' caught my eye in your post, and I completely seemed to ignore the topic, too ?!? (apparently I *am* getting old or have spent too much time in the Cellars of Candlekeep )

It seems that Shaaran names (in the FRCS) are a mix of african, arabic and egyptean influences. You could still use name you want to - whether it is a "generic FR name" or a derivation of it (or even a RW name from any of the cultures mentioned above).
    Like I wrote, people in Faerūn travel a lot, and I have personally always thought that based on all the examples Ed has given us in published Realmslore (e.g. very similar names all across the world, from Thay to Zhentil Keep) "naming traditions" and languages among Faerūnian humans seem very similar in nature. The real differences in the contemporary FR, I think, lie between racial traditions (elves, drow, halflings, dwarves, orcs, etc.) rather than cultural traditions.
    Dargoth Posted - 20 May 2007 : 05:23:31
    quote:
    Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Ndalu.

Isnt that the name of a Balor!
    Wooly Rupert Posted - 20 May 2007 : 05:17:41
    Ndalu.
    MerrikCale Posted - 20 May 2007 : 03:18:14
    Pete
    Kyrene Posted - 16 May 2007 : 09:00:53
    quote:

Hmmm... you could always simply modify some "general" Realmsian names, since intercultural influences are very common in Faerūn. All Tashalan names in FRCS are very "african" in nature.

My suggestions: Jaladru, Mheirasta, Ongluru, Beldrave, Maerfu, Gwarthelve, Halifron

Hope that helps!

Actually no.

I know The Shaar is loosely based on the Serangeti with the Rift Valley, ie. Kenya, but from the picture of the Shaaryan Hunter, I got the impression Shaarans themselves are a little more like some tribes of the Native Americans or otherwise like the Mongols in appearance. However, are they culturally more like Native Americans/Mongols or more like the Masai on horseback? Does this reflect in their names?

Also I think I asked about Shaaran names, not Tashalan names, but that might not have come accross properly. Thanks for the attempted help.

Anyone else with some advice or names?
    Zanan Posted - 12 May 2007 : 23:23:09
    Erebos, brother of Nyx, the Greek deities of "Darkness" (in the deep earth as opposed to) and "Night" respectively.
    sleyvas Posted - 11 May 2007 : 16:53:24
    If you're looking for a name which will entertain your friends... I like Buffoonba, Tallawaca, and of course, the tribal names like two'dogs'f.... um, nevermind. Of course, if you want something that they'll take more seriously, skip these and try Satuelos
    Victor_ograygor Posted - 11 May 2007 : 10:54:49
    I really like the name ” Lutalo” it means Warrior and “Lumumba” means Gifted

Lumumba Lutalo : Gifted Warrior

Below you can see some links to African names; on my link list you could also find links to names

Links related to D&D and forgotten realms.
    http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7997

Other African names
    http://www.swagga.com/name.htm
    http://www.namesite.com/mainpage.php
    http://www.behindthename.com/nmc/afr.php
    Asgetrion Posted - 11 May 2007 : 10:38:10

Hope that helps!

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
    Snitz Forums 2000