Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 What is your favorite Monster in the Realms?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Victor_ograygor Posted - 16 Oct 2006 : 13:11:36
Okay we have a bord :What is your favorite character in the Realms?
and i just thought what about monsters?

My favorite monster is the Dark Naga

- Dark nagas speak Common and Infernal.
- Dark nagas prefer to fight from an elevated position where they get a good view of the battlefield while also staying out of reach.
- Poison : Injury, Fortitude DC 16 or lapse into a nightmare-haunted sleep for 2d4 minutes. The save DC is Constitution-based.
- Dark nagas cast spells as 7th-level sorcerers.
- A dark naga can continuously use detect thoughts as the spell (caster level 9th; Will DC 15 negates). This ability is always active. The save DC is Charisma-based.
- Dark nagas are immune to any form of mind reading.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Dracons Posted - 01 Jul 2008 : 18:44:16
Fey'ri. Half-elven demons. Lead by hot elven demon lady who'd gut me if I piss/bore/looked at her.

I always wanted to run a Shade, or Kir-lanans.
Runis Silverhammer Posted - 29 Jun 2008 : 01:36:00
Demi-lich
Victor_ograygor Posted - 06 Jan 2007 : 10:51:30
Were there one in here that said Kobolds!!!

I understand you Korginard, Illithids, Mindflayers and Aboleths are great plotters. I love the idear that there is a big brain behind the plots and screams concerning Mindflayers
Weiser_Cain Posted - 06 Jan 2007 : 05:53:58
If I could have picked I would have been born a dragon.
Wellin_Adipocere Posted - 06 Jan 2007 : 02:12:27
I like the idea of my players minds being devoured...Illithids nasty things.
Ilztfryn Claddghym Posted - 04 Jan 2007 : 19:14:08
The Black Dragons are nasty pieces of work :D
Korginard Posted - 04 Jan 2007 : 17:53:55
Illithids/Mindflayers have always been one of my favorites, allong with Aboleths
Realms specific? I love cats so I have a soft-spot for Thressym.

The origins and stats of the Ithyak-Orthel are in the back of the 2nd edition Powers and Pantheons I believe.

AlorinDawn Posted - 03 Jan 2007 : 04:47:38
Favortie moster is a tough question... there are so many good ones.

I suppose I would have to go with the phase dragon from Dragon Magazine 91.
Romaal Posted - 02 Jan 2007 : 14:08:04
I think Mindflayers are the coolest.
quajack Posted - 01 Jan 2007 : 07:50:02
Kobolds. No question.
Ranin Posted - 01 Jan 2007 : 03:28:55
Besides the griffon, I am fond of the Ginosphinxes. The roc rocks too.

I'm into wyverns cause of the cool sounds they make.
Tyr Posted - 31 Dec 2006 : 17:15:26
Having played Dark Sun I like the Thri-kreen. Psychic giant insects who like to eat elves. Whats not to like?
Kuje Posted - 30 Dec 2006 : 17:28:19
quote:
Originally posted by Victor_ograygor

quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Btw, from the August 8th and 10th, 2005 posts from THO, it leads me to believe there is no set number on how many clones a deepspawn can create.

Okay Kuje, plz referer to original material if this info is true.

Uh, I did give the references to the original material. THO's August 8th and 10th 2005 replies.
The Sage Posted - 30 Dec 2006 : 11:21:37
quote:
Originally posted by Victor_ograygor

quote:

Btw, from the August 8th and 10th, 2005 posts from THO, it leads me to believe there is no set number on how many clones a deepspawn can create.

It is.

Here's the replies Kuje refers to:-

"On August 8, 2005 THO said: A Deepspawn duplicates a particular orc (or human, or whatever) it has devoured: endless copies of exactly the same creature. They "come alive" knowing their bodies and how to use them (a human trained with a longsword could use it just as before death), but without prior memories (wizards don't have memorized spells, and human copy A meeting human copy B might say: "You look a lot like my reflection in yon pool," but WOULDN'T immediately say: "Hey, you're me!"

If that helps. That's the way Ed (who created Deepspawn) has always run them, anyway. We Knights ran into quite a few of them.

love,
THO

On August 10, 2005 THO said: And so does Ed. He had a beholder colony (in a human castle) that had done just that, and kept deepspawn close-guarded in some of the lower chambers, spewing out endless weak young beholders to serve as guards, scouts ("want food? go hunt for it!") and ultimately as food for the more powerful senior beholders. The deepspawn had also eaten adventurers, and spewed THEM out as food (and the beholders used them as decoys, when later adventurers came exploring). Deadly.

love,
THO"
Mace Hammerhand Posted - 30 Dec 2006 : 10:29:04
My favorite monster in the Realms is my party's wizard, Saiph Ti-Amon, he does more with less and still manages to throw a fireball every once in a while. And with his younger double running around now in my campaign the monster part is true enough.
Victor_ograygor Posted - 30 Dec 2006 : 10:06:10
quote:

Penknight Posted - 30 Dec 2006 : 02:51:07
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:
Originally posted by Penknight

quote:

It's hard for me to say. I generally like any monster that can stand on it's own as an intelligent character (and interact meaningfully with protagonists) over monsters that are just there to be slaughtered.

I agree, but my favorite "monster" is the leucrotta. I have used them over the years (not that I'm old, mind you) to great success, and my players are now very wary when they are in a forested area and hear a small child weeping that they can't see. By the way, roll me a listen check...

Yes, the idea of a "crying child" turning out to be a dangerous monster is very creepy.

Indeed, my lady. I also run a Ravenloft campaign on special occasions (like Halloween, Friday the 13th, etc.) and it's a pretty big deal for my players. And the crying child? Well, my players are now highly cautious of children.

If anyone is interested, here is a link of something I was doing on the Fraternity of Shadows boards (Ravenloft) for the Halloween event they had. I am Guardian of Twilight, btw...

http://www.fraternityofshadows.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3175
Lemernis Posted - 30 Dec 2006 : 02:00:08
I agree with what was said above about the leucrotta--mimicking human cries of distress is such an eerie way for a creature to trap prey. Great monster.

Some more favorites:

ogre-mage
satyr
warg
frost worm
death knight

Kuje Posted - 30 Dec 2006 : 00:30:37
Victor_ograygor Posted - 30 Dec 2006 : 00:19:43
There was a thread here in Candelkeep focus on the reproduction part.

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8135
The Sage Posted - 30 Dec 2006 : 00:05:27
There's a little on the deepspawn in Monster of Faerun, though it doesn't focus particularly on the reproduction of such aberrations.
Exploit Posted - 29 Dec 2006 : 21:29:38
I've never seen a write-up on Deepspawn reproductive habits but I've always imagined that large Deepspawns eat little Deepspawns and then clone them to continue the race. Being able to pump out an adult Deepspawn every 1d4 days means that there could be as many of these creatures as they would like. I wonder what the statistics of a Deepspawn Swarm would be...
Ardashir Posted - 29 Dec 2006 : 20:52:03
quote:
Originally posted by Besshalar

I'm voting for deepspawns as well a monster that can use anyone it eats as a weapon is something that I see as a definite winner and endless possibilities...

Bet it gets really fun when a deepspawn eats a troll. "Fresh Troll livers -- they grow in you!"
Besshalar Posted - 29 Dec 2006 : 19:14:35
I'm voting for deepspawns as well a monster that can use anyone it eats as a weapon is something that I see as a definite winner and endless possibilities...
Ardashir Posted - 29 Dec 2006 : 19:06:31
quote:
Originally posted by Crust

For me, the Ityak-Ortheel (or Elf Eater) takes the cake. Every since its awful rampage in Coral Kingdom, I've been horrified by that behemoth. How very Lovecraftian with all its tentacles, the three trunk-like legs, the tortoise shell, the mouth with all the blades... It's hideous.

It certainly is horrible, and I've often wondered if it's ever been written anywhere as to just how/where Malar found it and bound it to his will. You'd think that if Malar wanted to kill some elves, he'd just send as aspect or avatar and do it with his own two claws.
Exploit Posted - 29 Dec 2006 : 16:44:10
Add me to the list of Deepspawn fans. With their genius and cloning capability, Deepspawns should really be taking over the world and the gods themselves should be vying for the favor of these powerbrokers. My current Red Wizard character is trying to obtain a Deepspawn so that he can create many clones of himself. Imagine every 1d4 days another 17th level clone is created which he can then bind to his will. Soon he will have dozens of servants who can all cast Wish and similar spells! <insert evil laugh here>
Crust Posted - 29 Dec 2006 : 01:43:22
For me, the Ityak-Ortheel (or Elf Eater) takes the cake. Every since its awful rampage in Coral Kingdom, I've been horrified by that behemoth. How very Lovecraftian with all its tentacles, the three trunk-like legs, the tortoise shell, the mouth with all the blades... It's hideous.
MerrikCale Posted - 29 Dec 2006 : 00:19:36
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Griffons have long been a favorite of mine, as well. Hippogriffs, not so much...

My love of griffons was part of what inspired one of the Hooks in Volume 6 of the Candlekeep Compendium.

I agree with you. Griffons and hippogriffs are underappreciated and underused. I would say the same for chimera
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 28 Dec 2006 : 22:48:31
quote:
Originally posted by Penknight

quote:

It's hard for me to say. I generally like any monster that can stand on it's own as an intelligent character (and interact meaningfully with protagonists) over monsters that are just there to be slaughtered.

I agree, but my favorite "monster" is the leucrotta. I have used them over the years (not that I'm old, mind you) to great success, and my players are now very wary when they are in a forested area and hear a small child weeping that they can't see. By the way, roll me a listen check...

Yes, the idea of a "crying child" turning out to be a dangerous monster is very creepy.
Ardashir Posted - 28 Dec 2006 : 20:18:47
quote:
Originally posted by Asgetrion

Ghazneths? I personally consider them to be the *worst* FR monsters of all time... Troy really screwed up with them, and the whole "Scourges of Apocalyse"-theme... *grrrr* I have happily ignored the whole Ghazneth-episode in my Realms.

But to return to the topic: The Sharn and The Phaerimm are definitely my favorite FR monsters.

Just what the heck are the ghazneths, anyway? I know they had something to do with Azoun's death, but beyond that I'm completely in the dark on them.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000