Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Candlekeep Web Site
 Site Content
 The Origin of Members' Names (take two)

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Bookwyrm Posted - 20 Feb 2003 : 04:46:33
Okay, I’ve been mulling this over for some time, and finally I’ve decided to do it. I’ve been very curious as to the origin of the names I find popping up around here -- as well as the avatar pictures used -- ever since I came on this forum nearly a month ago. Then I happened to find a thread that was asking the same thing, only without the avatar bit. Being a new and inexperienced member (I’d only been one for three days) I figured no one would like me cloning an existing thread.

But now I look at it again, and see something that I hadn’t before. Namely, that only forty posts were made to the above thread. That means that only forty-one names (counting the person who started the thread, the esteemed Kahonen) could have been discussed. Actually, it’s even less, as (if I counted right) sixteen posts did not explain names. That means that only a mere twenty-five actually WERE explained. That’s twenty five out of TWO HUNDRED EIGHTY-NINE, folks. And even if you subtract the lurkers (those who haven’t made any posts -- shame on you all!) that leaves one hundred sixty who haven’t posted to that thread, myself included.

So I’m posting this in the General forum, rather than the less-popular Adventuring forum where the original was, in an attempt to get more people to answer. I think that that was the reason only twenty-five names were discussed -- because the track over there was less traveled by. (Besides, with my apologies to Kahonen, that wasn’t the best place for this topic anyway.)

Now, I realize that some names don’t need explaining (i.e., “Elminster” or any of the names here with “Drizzt” in them). Others have been mentioned in different threads (two both notable and recent would be mine and Pinball Wizard’s). And of course the twenty-five who already posted elsewhere.

However, no one’s really talked about avatar pictures. I think that they are nearly as important as the names we choose, as they are often the only faces we can relate to on here. I picked mine because it was the closest to my idea of “slightly mysterious sage.” I don’t know what cover art it happens to be from, though.

So how about it? Start talking, people!
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
AlacLuin Posted - 18 Jul 2004 : 23:31:58
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

quote:
Originally posted by AlacLuin

Mine Alac Luin is just me mispelling names from DotU Alak Luen.

An old char of mine, he has a sister Alystin who is a Cleric of Elistraee.

My Avatar represents, um, wait, I don't have an avatar.

Well met, AlacLuin.....erm, Alak Luen !?

If thee wishes to have thy name changed, then please feel free to contact me.

At this time, I do not remember if my misspelling was intentional or not (I swear this is how I spelled it on my original char sheet)
But I am known elsewhere with my current spelling.
Thank thee for the offer. :Gracious Nod:
Alaundo Posted - 18 Jul 2004 : 10:55:56
quote:
Originally posted by AlacLuin

Well met, AlacLuin.....erm, Alak Luen !?

If thee wishes to have thy name changed, then please feel free to contact me.
AlacLuin Posted - 18 Jul 2004 : 04:06:41

Juniphy Posted - 18 Jun 2004 : 22:08:17
I took a little break with Puff the Magic Dragon one day and it just came to me like a gift from the gods.

As for the avatar, it's Haer'dalis from BG2. That's one cool tiefling bard that wouldn't mind joining me in a little herbal heaven.
Sarelle Posted - 18 Jun 2004 : 11:37:51
I struggled over an avatar for these boards - my one for the WotC boards was shrouded in purple (my fave colour and one I associate with Sarelle), and so skin colour couldn't be determined. The problem with Sarelle is she is a drow ith black hair. So the WotC avatar was great.

Here I originally had one of Graz'zt - a) because I was fed up of being mistaken for a girl (back to that, now. Ah well!) b) I like Graz'zt.

But lord Rad had it, and I like being original, so I re-scanned the avatars and found my current one, which apart from being very egyptian lichy, is somewhat how I imagine the form Sarelle takes when she casts alter form. Plus no one else has it!
Phantom_Lord Posted - 18 Jun 2004 : 08:53:17
Phantom Lord is a very, very **bleep** song by my favourite band: Metallica.
Xullrae Zauviir Posted - 02 May 2004 : 18:19:23
Nothing orginal here:

Both Xull'rae's names, her first and last was taken from the Drow of the Underdark by Ed Greenwood, from the names list provided.

The irony is that the Zauviir name has gone through many changes in various books, even novels now, that I'm no longer sure of its orgin.

The further irony is, later after I created her and chose her name. Vesz'aun was created a month afterward using the names from the dragon magazine he had. For fun I had him look up Xull'rae, here is what we found:
Xull means; Blooded, crimson, or ruby
Xull'rae has coppery colored hair..basically a red head. She has a vile temper and usually resorts to violence..and she has a weakness for gems.

rae means; Secret, seeker, quest
She has a secret and because of this secret she has to go on a quest to seek a cure.

I found this very creepy that I picked a name that hit my character in a perfect match before I knew what it meant. That's an origin for ya!
Veszaun Auvryath Posted - 01 May 2004 : 22:12:30
Hm, suppose I can jump on the bandwagon, though I've not submitted my Avatar pic as of yet....

Anyway, I consulted the Drow Name Generator from Dragon Magazine (don't remember the number off-hand), and found some meanings I liked.

One translation of Auvryath is Blood of Dragons. Took that because this character was supposed to be a Sorcerer rather than a wizard, but haven't squeezed that in yet.

Vesz'aun was chosen for its tranlsation of Blood Dancer, a moniker he took on after becoming a Bladesinger. Fitting enough, methinks. His real name is Krenaste, just seemed too blah, so had him take on a new name to fit his new status.

Now, I suppose I should be off to submit that Avatar
Shadowlord Posted - 29 Apr 2004 : 16:12:55
*Ahem* I did understand, hence the winking () smiley. Thou dare mock the drow, gnome?
The Sage Posted - 29 Apr 2004 : 07:15:17
Maybe it's just because he's a drow, that he can't see the obvious...
Bookwyrm Posted - 27 Apr 2004 : 22:23:12
Yes, of course I am. And here I figured it was obvious.
Shadowlord Posted - 27 Apr 2004 : 21:54:28

You are talking to Lady Kazandra, and not me, correct Bookwyrm?
Bookwyrm Posted - 27 Apr 2004 : 21:28:11
And here I was thinking that your name was Cassandra, and you'd just fantasized it for the forum and/or a campaign. Still, I think I like this one better. It certainly fits with Sage.
Shadowlord Posted - 27 Apr 2004 : 20:12:37
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Kazandra

Unless you're familiar with the Ravenloft setting, the name: Lady Kazandra, won't mean much to you.

Actually, I was going to comment on that when you arrived, since I am a huge fan of Ravenloft, but something else warranted my attention, so I never asked...

As for my name, it's derived from my campaign. Tsabrak Teken'ghym, my character, was known in Menzoberranzan as an assassin called "The Shadowlord." Simple, yet it has a dual meaning. Vhaeraun is known as either the Shadow, or the Shadow Lord, so the name Shadowlord implies that I worship Vhaeraun. Don't know if anyone caught that, seeing as I hadn't enlightened everyone to the wonders of Vhaeraun when I first arrived.
Lady Kazandra Posted - 27 Apr 2004 : 13:23:04
I know, I was just kidding around .
martynq Posted - 27 Apr 2004 : 11:48:47
I never said the rest of you were hiding... I just said that I wasn't.

Martyn
Lady Kazandra Posted - 27 Apr 2004 : 10:21:17
Who says we're hiding?. It's just a change of pace, a chance to allow one's imagination to run wild .
martynq Posted - 27 Apr 2004 : 09:57:06
Erm... I don't particularly like hiding behind made-up monickers, so my name is basically my name.

Martyn
Lady Kazandra Posted - 27 Apr 2004 : 07:43:38
Well, I suppose I should take a little time to detail the origin of my user name.

Unless you're familiar with the Ravenloft setting, the name: Lady Kazandra, won't mean much to you.

She is a human, or rather was. She's a vampire now (was), and leader (general) of the Kargat. The Kargat is a cell-based organisation composed of lycanthropes and other kinds of shapechangers. They serve the Darklord Azalin - through his undead forces - as a secret police force that keeps the population of Darkon firmly within his grasp. There's a lot more to the history of this evil organisation, but the main reason I use it, is because she is (was) one of Rastromo Meradoc's (otherwise known as the Sage) main antagonists during his earlier days as a monster hunter/loremaster (Rastromo took the place of Van Richten in most of the Sage's RL games).

They've met several times in several campaigns (this was before Rastromo was retired in-game, to eventually became an NPC), and they often had a love/hate relationship before she became a vampire. In the end however, the Sage was responsible for finally putting his lady love to rest, and eradicating the vampire scourge of Darkon for all time.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 27 Apr 2004 : 07:36:35
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Kazandra

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I've been using the name Wooly Rupert in a couple of different places for a while... The name comes, obviously, from the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen, feared by spelljamming tinker gnomes everywhere.

I chose that name because it was a silly name from a skewy concept, and because it's obscure enough that few would recognize it.

It's not as obscure as you think. While I also remember it from the Spelljammer setting, there are at least (as far as I can remember) three references to the Giant Space Hamster in some of the 2e Dragonlance material. I think it was also mentioned in a DL novel as well.

Tinker gnomes really are curious creatures . . .

Ah, but to the internet at large, it's obscure. Until I used the name on the WotC forums (before I was banned, of course) and then on here, only a couple of people had ever recognized it.
Bookwyrm Posted - 27 Apr 2004 : 07:25:20
quote:

I've been using the name Wooly Rupert in a couple of different places for a while... The name comes, obviously, from the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen, feared by spelljamming tinker gnomes everywhere.

I chose that name because it was a silly name from a skewy concept, and because it's obscure enough that few would recognize it.

I am known elsewhere as Sheepy. I was long ago dubbed "Sheepdog" by my supposed peers because of a long-lasting bad hair day. I eventually adopted the name for myself, and it was later shortened to Sheepy.

In Scottish accent: "That ne'er be a poochie!"

Now how's that for an obscure joke, eh? (At least, in these parts.)
Lady Kazandra Posted - 27 Apr 2004 : 07:24:32
quote:

It's not as obscure as you think. While I also remember it from the Spelljammer setting, there are at least (as far as I can remember) three references to the Giant Space Hamster in some of the 2e Dragonlance material. I think it was also mentioned in a DL novel as well.

Tinker gnomes really are curious creatures . . .
Wooly Rupert Posted - 27 Apr 2004 : 07:06:09

I am known elsewhere as Sheepy. I was long ago dubbed "Sheepdog" by my supposed peers because of a long-lasting bad hair day. I eventually adopted the name for myself, and it was later shortened to Sheepy.
RogueAssassin Posted - 27 Apr 2004 : 01:36:22
Well im a Bard....

The RogueAssassin
Adrian Moonbow Posted - 12 Feb 2004 : 10:14:09
My name is the name of my first non-existent FR-character. I have used the name in a couple of the FR computer games, but...

Adrian is an old hero-name (probably from the greek, Hadrian). I wanted to give him the hero-ish style. I decided that I wanted him to be a half-(moon)elf ranger. So Moonbow had an elven ring to it while also being ranger-like. He doesn't have an avatar for the obvious reason: I don't know how he looks! He hasn't been created yet, he's only in my head (that came out wrong ).
Valdar Oakensong Posted - 08 Jan 2004 : 21:25:11
My name came from the most powerful of my characters when I used to do live role playing. He was a prince of the wood Elves no less. I chose the avatar because it was the only light Elf to pick- the Drow are so done too death. Also I have always thought that Elves were cool
Layton Mij Posted - 08 Dec 2003 : 22:04:17
The story of my name is a little sad, I don't mean sad as in boo hoo just sad as in sad.

My first ever venture into roleplaying some 19-20 years ago. I was told I had to come up with a name for my character and could not think of anything, ( you know when you have that mind blank thing) I started looking all around for inspiration and my eyes settled on a poster on the wall of the football( Soccer for all you Americans)club Aberdeen and Jim Leighton the goalkeeper I changed the spelling of the surname made that my first name and reversed the spelling of his christian name and made that my surname.
The Cardinal Posted - 23 Nov 2003 : 07:20:04
Cardinal Deimos came from several various incarnations begining with
Lord Deimos on B.net for diablo ages ago. Time does little to lessen the love of the Name Deimos but after seeing a dozen or so pretenders to Lord Deimos I tried other things, Count, Baron, other noble titles (King and Emperor while kewl were just too prideful even for me) so I decided that Nobility is not the only way to go. So like Nobles of the Dark ages I appointed myself a holy rank as well. no longer simply Lord Deimos I became Cardinal Deimos.... Of course Lord Cardinal Deimos has a nice ring, it might simply be too much...
The Avatar though well.... In the words of Xellos: " That is a secret!"
MuadDib Posted - 23 Nov 2003 : 06:58:10
what Lina said. I just took a name I liked from an existing literary work namely Frank Herbert's Dune series.

It comes from Paul Muad'Dib, or usul, the base of the pillar and the seed of the Kwisatz Haderach.
Lina Posted - 23 Nov 2003 : 06:06:28
Well since I suck at comming up with original names and at the time I joined as a member I wanted to set myself apart from the rest sooo... I chose a character of an anime which I admire which is LINA INVERSE!!! Secretly, if I had the chance, I'd become her in an instant if I was in whisked away to somewhere like Faerun.

She's an intelligent, witty and powerful sorceress that uses dark magic for purposes that benefit humankind as well as her money pouch. Well known by the people of her land and feared by her enemies they also call her Bandit Killer and Dragon Spooker.

As for my avatar, well as you can plainly see that is Lina Inverse herself.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000