Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Candlekeep Web Site
 Site Content
 Worlds of D&D

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
The Sage Posted - 20 Jul 2004 : 10:45:18
At Alaundo's request, I've opened this scroll to discuss the upcoming opening of a portal here at Candlekeep which will allow scribes to enter a new library where settings other than FR can be discussed.

My thoughts on the matter are that this new library will likely be a demi-plane, which has some permanent connection with Candlekeep via a stable portal through the Astral Plane.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Alaundo Posted - 23 Jul 2004 : 10:24:08
Well met

::slaps The Sage's wrist for peeking at personal scrolls::

Indeed, I am pleased to announce that the gates to the Worlds of D&D are now open

I hope you enjoy your stay therein (now I finally have somewhere to send the Sage et al with scrolls of Spelljammer and Planescape etc.)

So, if ye have interest in other worlds and portals, then visit ye the Worlds of D&D..... enjoy your journey Oh, and should ye stumble upon any Realmslore on your adventures, then return here forthwith with your findings
Lady Kazandra Posted - 23 Jul 2004 : 03:25:47
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Will the aforementioned "Other Worlds" category also allow for discussion about the various Alternity settings? For example, such sci-fi settings as Dark Matter and Gamma World?

Well met

Alas, no, Sage. It will only contain D&D campaigns: Forgotten Realms, Dragonlance, Ravenloft, Eberron, Greyhawk, Planescape, Dark Sun, Al-Qadim, Spelljammer and Mystara.

I believe (although I may be wrong) that Gamma World used a different rules sytem? As did Dark Matter.

Gamma World has indeed been reprinted, by Swords and Sorcery. Although, it uses the standard d20 system. Does this mean that discussion about Nuclear Earth is now possible?

Also, what about the 2e Masque of the Red Death setting? That was a TSR 2e game, and, it is also receiving an update to 3e in October. Will discussion about this setting also be allowed?
The Wanderer Posted - 22 Jul 2004 : 12:49:15
quote:
Originally posted by zemd
As well as Ravenloft, i still don't know what happened during the 2nd Ed to 3E conversion. i know how it was and how it is, but not how it happened . My questions will have to wait

If you are speaking about the changes the land suffered during this time, you should pick up the "Grim Harvest" adventure modules. There are three of them: Death Unchained, Death Ascendant, Requiem: The Grim Harvest. It is a great story to play. Lord of the Necropolis also gives some details about what happened, but is considered non-canon.
zemd Posted - 22 Jul 2004 : 11:24:44
If only this forum had been created one year before! My players went to Sigil and i had to create everything from "manual of the planes".
As well as Ravenloft, i still don't know what happened during the 2nd Ed to 3E conversion. i know how it was and how it is, but not how it happened . My questions will have to wait
Alaundo Posted - 22 Jul 2004 : 11:16:54
Well met

Only D&D campaign settings, using the D&D and old AD&D rules will be used. The forum is primarily to allow discussion of the older campaign settings (I know how some of ye like to talk and talk about Spelljammer, Planescape et al ). Obviously, we have included sections for currently active campaigns for completeness and to allow discussions of this new Eberron place everyone keeps harping on about . The Forgotten Realms area on the new forum is by no means a replacement for Candlekeep. Candlekeep is still your primary location for Realmslore, the new forum contains an FR section for new members who don't have the same Realms dedication as you fellow Scribes
If you have no interest in other campaign settings then you will find the forum of little use to you.

Just to clarify, this new forum is NOT directly associated with Candlekeep. We at Candlekeep do not own the forum but have admin rights and moderator roles within, so can more than assist you in your venture, should you wish to visit the new forum.
zemd Posted - 22 Jul 2004 : 09:47:18
I never said it was a bad thing!

But ... maybe there will be too much to say.
I must make myself clear, what i mean is that if you look at what we write just ONLY for the Forgotten Realms, think about what it'll represent . It could be better to make planekeep the portal to ohter minor places that will contain specific campaing settings lores...

Just a thought, but i'm really thrilled about this new forum
Wooly Rupert Posted - 22 Jul 2004 : 09:27:48
quote:
Originally posted by zemd

Well i'll try to sum up to make sure i understood.
There will be a new forum but apart from Candlekeep but we'll only be able to discuss about WOTC products? If that is, i think it's a pity, regarding the books wotc has released lately, i think that some editors deserve our interest (yes, i think about midnight, the Scarred Lands,...)
I'll wait until friday

Yeah, but there's a lot of stuff to talk about that isn't recent. Ravenloft, Mystara, Spelljammer, Dark Sun, Birthright... All of those are former WotC/TSR worlds, and it looks like the new forums will be about those and others. So The Sage with his gazillion Planescape books will be able to talk about the planes, and I with my collection of all the Spelljammer stuff will be able to talk about the joys of wildspace.

It's all good, thinks I.
zemd Posted - 22 Jul 2004 : 09:09:21
Well i'll try to sum up to make sure i understood.
There will be a new forum but apart from Candlekeep but we'll only be able to discuss about WOTC products? If that is, i think it's a pity, regarding the books wotc has released lately, i think that some editors deserve our interest (yes, i think about midnight, the Scarred Lands,...)
I'll wait until friday
The Cardinal Posted - 21 Jul 2004 : 21:08:49
We wonder... Looking over this scroll we noticed the earlier mention of 'Otherworlds' and wonder if this shalt contain some things from the "Call of Cthulhu" game? If so how please we shalt be if not.... then why not J/K

However we hath seen mention that some Worship Cthulhu as Tulu or Tluhluh... so would this make him part of the generic catagory or otherwise?

Yes, we art always kicking up dust, and making a 'muckery' of things
Alaundo Posted - 21 Jul 2004 : 18:16:09
Well met

Al-Qadim will have a section within the new forum. Kara-Tur is treated as part of the Forgotten Realms campaign setting rather than having a devoted campaign setting (since its products still bear a Forgotten Realms logo).

Kara-Tur may be (and has been) discussed herein at Candlekeep. Al-Qadim has also always been permitted herein ever since it was recognised that Zakhara is located on Toril, but to keep campaign setting devotions, as stated - Al-Qadim will have a dedicated section.

Maybe i've confused matters moreso?!
Edain Shadowstar Posted - 21 Jul 2004 : 18:11:15
To clarify:

quote:
Originally posted by Anubis:

Kara-Tur is actually loacted on the Far Eastern reaches of Toril. Therefore it is included in the scope of Candlekeep, although given its distance we do not hear much about it.
Of this fact I am well aware, however Kara-Tur, like Al-Qadim, while intended to take place on Toril, both were designed so that you could drop them into another campaign setting if you so desired. Kara-Tur is technically part of the Oriental Adventures rules if I remember correctly, where as Zakhara, the Land of Fate, also part of Toril is part of the Al-Qadim Setting. Therefore it is reasonable to assume that since both places (Kara-Tur and Zakhara) use rules somewhat removed from the standard play, and largely removed from the Realms, that if one (Al-Qadim) is considered separate than so might Kara-Tur, by abstract, since it too employs a different style setting.
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack:

That fact plus, when was the last time a published product focused on that area?
Since when has that made a difference as to a campaign setting's validity as a disscussion topic?
Alaundo Posted - 21 Jul 2004 : 18:01:14
quote:
Originally posted by AlacLuin

quote:
Originally posted by Strahd Von Zarovich
And maybe, just maybe I will find a way to forever leave this domain in which I am imprisoned.

Regards

Strahd Von Zarovich

Um, does Alaundo know that he may be working to release a vampire on the wider worlds?
Is that Oghma like demeanor just a facade?

Well met

Oh fear not, AlacLuin, for my Staff of the Irritated Moderator +5 also doubles up as a nice wooden stake, should it deem necessary
Alaundo Posted - 21 Jul 2004 : 17:59:31
quote:
Originally posted by hammer of Moradin

Can we get an "index" of these portals? Sorry, can't wait.

Well met

Alas, we cannot reveal such secrets, my dear hammer of Moradin However, rest assured that there will be a section to cater for all tastes, whatever your favorite campaign setting.
Strahd Von Zarovich Posted - 21 Jul 2004 : 17:54:00
quote:
Originally posted by AlacLuin

Um, does Alaundo know that he may be working to release a vampire on the wider worlds?

Well I have come to find that your Alaundo has a darker side than any of you would expect.

And I am not the beast you imagine

Regards

Strahd
AlacLuin Posted - 21 Jul 2004 : 17:49:32
quote:
Originally posted by Strahd Von Zarovich
And maybe, just maybe I will find a way to forever leave this domain in which I am imprisoned.

Regards

Strahd Von Zarovich

Strahd Von Zarovich Posted - 21 Jul 2004 : 16:30:39
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

Friday night? AARGHH! Why did you have to make the anticipation STRONGER?
*starts tearing hair out*

It takes great magic to pull these worlds together, and it was Alaundo himself that prophesised the date when it shall be complete.

The portal was originally designed to only bring together beings who wanted to dicuss these 'Other Worlds', but as time went on Alaundo and I realised that we had stumbled upon something very special indeed. And thus we went about researching new arcane ways of bringing you news from these worlds.

So far there are Twenty Four of these so called portals where you will enter discussion. And it has taken great power to set these up.

If these portal become a success then more and more areas will grow, and it will become an archive of resources.

Regards

Strahd Von Zarovich
Strahd Von Zarovich Posted - 21 Jul 2004 : 15:21:56
Well I have been sitting back and listening to all your comments, and I have decided to step through the mists.

This new portal is a creation born out of both darkness and great magic.

It has been a plan of mine to make this meeting place where beings from all planes of existence can converge.

To put you out of your misery the portal will open on Friday night.

Most of your questions have been answered by Alaundo, but I will tell you that I am currently working a powerful spell which will allow you to teleport your portrait across the planes and use it as an 'Avatar'.

In the meantime I will be glad to answer your questions here, while Alaundo and I tap the weave to make it all work.

Regards
Strahd Von Zarovich
SiriusBlack Posted - 21 Jul 2004 : 14:45:45
quote:
Originally posted by Anubis
Kara-Tur is actually loacted on the Far Eastern reaches of Toril. Therefore it is included in the scope of Candlekeep, although given its distance we do not hear much about it.

That fact plus, when was the last time a published product focused on that area?
hammer of Moradin Posted - 21 Jul 2004 : 14:32:01
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Even a generic D&D board away from the Coast will be good. Too many halflings hang out there.
I like to incorporate rules that I like into my Realms games, but not everything works. Now the Candlekeep gang can port over to the other site to discuss other items of interest without incurring the wrath of Alaundo and Tethtoril.

Oh, we'll just have to find new ways of incurring their wrath!

Well met

Oh thou needest not try too hard, Wooly Rupert to incurr our wrath

....and ye, hammer of Moradin... bear in mind that I will still have my Staff of the Irritated Moderator +5 to hand, should thee even think of running amok

Will your staff travel with you across the portal? There has to be somewhere in the planes I can hide if need be.
The Wanderer Posted - 21 Jul 2004 : 12:41:38
quote:
Originally posted by Edain Shadowstar

[quote]Originally posted by Alaundo:
Does that mean Kara-Tur is excluded?

Edain Shadowstar Posted - 21 Jul 2004 : 10:01:59
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo:

...bear in mind that I will still have my Staff of the Irritated Moderator +5 to hand, should thee even think of running amok.
If you want I could tweak the enchantments an make it a Staff of the Irritated Moderator +10 (Now with Mazing!)...of course that might be copyright infrigment...

Let me first say, this is a great idea. Whoever came up with it deserves a cookie, one of those big ones, with almonds and chocolate chips...mmmmm...coookie. Seriously, I have always wanted to swap stories about my planar adventures with the Scribes of Candlekeep, but I am always afraid of incurring Alaundo's wrath, and there are three beings in the multiverse I've learned not to cross 1. Alaundo, 2. The Lady, and 3. a certain Arcanaloth, who I shall leave nameless. Not that I think Alaundo is wrathful or anything, he's the greatest moderator there is, in the whole universe, bar none, without exception...

Can I stop now?
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage:

Like DL, DS was the other setting that I thought I would be left talking to myself about.
Well, Dark Sun fan here too. If it's a campaign setting made by TSR/WOTC, chances are I own every book from it and have played in it extensively. The only exception is Spelljammer which earned nothing but ill will amongst my D&D group, don't ask why.
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo:

Alas, no, Sage. It will only contain D&D campaigns: Forgotten Realms, Dragonlance, Ravenloft, Eberron, Greyhawk, Planescape, Dark Sun, Al-Qadim, Spelljammer and Mystara.
Does that mean Kara-Tur is excluded?
Alaundo Posted - 21 Jul 2004 : 09:01:27
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Even a generic D&D board away from the Coast will be good. Too many halflings hang out there.
I like to incorporate rules that I like into my Realms games, but not everything works. Now the Candlekeep gang can port over to the other site to discuss other items of interest without incurring the wrath of Alaundo and Tethtoril.

Well met

Oh thou needest not try too hard, Wooly Rupert to incurr our wrath

....and ye, hammer of Moradin... bear in mind that I will still have my Staff of the Irritated Moderator +5 to hand, should thee even think of running amok
Wooly Rupert Posted - 21 Jul 2004 : 00:40:38
quote:

hammer of Moradin Posted - 20 Jul 2004 : 22:59:13
Bookwyrm Posted - 20 Jul 2004 : 16:33:17
quote:

Theres no pleasing some folk

Well, I am a dragon. We're known for our greedy nature.
SiriusBlack Posted - 20 Jul 2004 : 16:23:39
quote:
When mentioning "Other", this refers to "Other Worlds" - being Other D&D worlds by TSR\WotC....initially anyway. We wish to concentrate on the known D&D settings rather than have d20 involved and run away with us.

True. Sorry to all the Midnight or Dawnforge fans out there.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 20 Jul 2004 : 15:48:18
quote:

Of course, I've only believed this simply because unlike most of the other settings that are regularly mentioned in discussion here at Candlekeep like PS and RL, DS appears to be the least talked about...

Well, part of the reason for that could be the fact that Athas is so different from Toril or any other setting... Or it could be the fact that, unlike Krynn, Oerth, the planes, or wildspace, there's no easy way to get there.
Alaundo Posted - 20 Jul 2004 : 15:40:35
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

Well, you did mention an "Other" section, so I assume that all d20 campaigns are allowed, not just the D&D ones?

Well met

When mentioning "Other", this refers to "Other Worlds" - being Other D&D worlds by TSR\WotC....initially anyway. We wish to concentrate on the known D&D settings rather than have d20 involved and run away with us.

Alaundo Posted - 20 Jul 2004 : 15:34:23
quote:

Also, what about the profile avatars?

Will there be any new images added to the archive, or will the same images that are the standard here at Candlekeep, still be available for the new user accounts in this new library?

Well met

Be not confused with the connections between Candlekeep and this new location. Candlekeep does not have complete control over the new location and only acts in joint management with another party. However, you may use your existing avatars as they appear here on Candlekeep if you wish. A facility will be in place to allow you to upload your own avatar (No Pokemon...please, I beg of thee ).

This new forum will NOT be an extension of Candlekeep and should be treated as completely seperate. Whilst I can help thee with any issues you may have on the other forum, it does not abide by the same rules as here in Candlekeep. In fact, the only similarity with the new forum and Candlekeep - is that I will be there as moderator (along with others)
Bookwyrm Posted - 20 Jul 2004 : 15:25:09
Well, you did mention an "Other" section, so I assume that all d20 campaigns are allowed, not just the D&D ones?

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000