Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 How are Drow perceived?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Yasraena Posted - 30 Apr 2003 : 21:43:13
After reading a thread on ALFA, I have a topic that I'd like to see discussed in light of the many Drow PC's that have been created since Drizzt was introduced to the gaming masses.

Just how are Drow (in general) to be treated outside of their homeland and/or on the surface realms? How have they been treated in your games as both PC's and NPC's?

When Yasraena was first created, I fully expected to get nothing but fear, hatred and violence as my initial reactions from people she met on the surface. I think I was more a hindrance than an asset to the party at first because of this. I can't count the number of times we were driven out of town, not even allowed to enter towns, or were just outright attacked because of having a Drow elf in the party.
A Drow elf is one to be feared and hated on sight, if only because of the things that the race as a whole has done in the past. This shouldn't be the case ALL of the time, because there are those individuals that judge not by looks, but by actions. But still, a feeling of mistrust, at least at first, should always be present when dealing with an unknown Drow. If the Drow in question has a reputation for good that has preceeded them, then maybe these instinctive feelings should be less, but not completely dismissed. Some of Drizzt's encounters are perfect exammples of this. Even HE gets the cold shoulder and threatened in places he's not known, and he's at least been heard of, even in some of the remotest places of Faerun.
I'd really like to hear the experiences of those who either have played Drow PC's or GM's that have run them, or Drow in general.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Yasraena Posted - 19 Jun 2003 : 21:34:26
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

Well, Liriel's a protagonist, and commercial fantasy novels require protagonists to have a comprehensible internality so the reader can 'identify' with them. That's fine -- though limiting -- but as an antagonist, no published drow character is half as menacing and intriguing as Eclavdra. Psychology and detailed fictional societies are relatively superficial characteristics layered on top of what the character's really about in the story.

Are you talking about Eclavdra Eliserve from the old G and D series of modules, or another character?
branmakmuffin Posted - 16 Jun 2003 : 23:22:35
I don't know who or what Eclavdra is.
Faraer Posted - 16 Jun 2003 : 22:23:24
Well, Liriel's a protagonist, and commercial fantasy novels require protagonists to have a comprehensible internality so the reader can 'identify' with them. That's fine -- though limiting -- but as an antagonist, no published drow character is half as menacing and intriguing as Eclavdra. Psychology and detailed fictional societies are relatively superficial characteristics layered on top of what the character's really about in the story.
branmakmuffin Posted - 16 Jun 2003 : 16:55:58
I just don't see much to any female Drow, prior to Liriel (thanks for the name), that is much more than one-dimensional cruelty and visciousness. To me, Matron Malice (and most of the other prominent female Drow I am familiar with) is a comic book super villain. Does this make her a boring character? No. Does it make reading bout her deeds boring? No. Does it make much of her personality predictible? Yes.
The Sage Posted - 15 Jun 2003 : 10:18:12
The Drizzt essays...yes, probably one of the most enjoyable aspects of RAS works on Drizzt and Drow in general. The essays contained within Homeland served as my very first introduction into the ways of the Drow. It would be several more years until my purchase of Drow of the Underdark, which enlightened me even more.

May all your learning be free and unfettered

Bookwyrm Posted - 14 Jun 2003 : 19:57:12
I agree with that, Yasraena. Just look at all the little essays he wrote and stuck in the Dark Elf trilogy. Especially the one that begins "No drow word for love." If that isn't Realmsian fluffiness, then I don't know what is. Just reading those essays gets you an idea of the drow way of life without any krunch in the way.
Yasraena Posted - 14 Jun 2003 : 19:37:24
quote:
Originally posted by Mournblade

I pretty much agree with Yasraena here. The drow have always been perceived as a matriarchial society since its inception in D1-3, and Q1. BUT I have to agree with Bran that the Drow female is a fantasy of male creators (in this case I think it was Gygax that created the concept of Drow, I can't remember the author of those modules and don't feel like digging them out). Malice I thought was a bit more three dimensional than MOST other matrons, but I have to say that QUENTHEL BAENRE, Is well developed (also well developed as a character )

I am such an idiot...

Haha! Love that double entendre!

I totaly agree with Bran that the Drow females were the fantasy of the male authors. Most females in the D&D world are. Just look at how the majority of them are drawn/illustrated, for crying out loud. If THAT'S not male fantasy, I don't know what is.
I was disagreeing on the point that Cunningham was the first to really 'flesh out' (there's that double entendre again, hehheh) the drow characters. I still think Salvatore was really the first to do that, because before him, there were only the modules and supplements.
Mournblade Posted - 14 Jun 2003 : 17:45:07
I pretty much agree with Yasraena here. The drow have always been perceived as a matriarchial society since its inception in D1-3, and Q1. BUT I have to agree with Bran that the Drow female is a fantasy of male creators (in this case I think it was Gygax that created the concept of Drow, I can't remember the author of those modules and don't feel like digging them out). Malice I thought was a bit more three dimensional than MOST other matrons, but I have to say that QUENTHEL BAENRE, Is well developed (also well developed as a character )

I am such an idiot...

Yasraena Posted - 14 Jun 2003 : 05:18:47
quote:
Originally posted by branmakmuffin

I am replying to this from the "Have you noticed" topic in the Novel forum.

Mikayla:
quote:
<snip> Once I learned that the women ruled the drow, I was hooked! Girls had a place in D&D - even if it was as the villains, at least they were among the coolest villains. <snip>

But until what's her name in the Elaine Cunningham books, have there been any Drow women with any depth? I can't think of any except maybe one of Drizzt's sisters.

Until Cunningham wrote her book, in my opinion, Drow women were the one dimensional adolescent fantasies (of shall we say a darker nature) of WotC's male authors. Most Drow women are no more well developed (no pun intended) than any damsel in distress. The fact that they are the ones causing the distress doesn't make much of a difference to me. It simply continues one of the common stereotypes about women: that women can be vicious and cruel in ways beyond what men can do. That is as used up a fantasy archetype as the "brawny barbarian/quick witted city-bred rogue team-up" is.

Being an evil b***h is nothing to be proud of any more than being an evil bastard is.

I'd have to disagree Bran. Salvatore was really the one who started the development of the female Drow characters in his Dark Elf Trilogy. He also unshrouded the mystery of what day to day life was like in Drow society (and that usually entailed the cruel and vicious actions of the females of the race. But hey, that's just the Drow way of things).
I really liked Malice and Matron Baenre as characters. I thought they truly epitomized the females of the race, because that's exactly what the females of the race are... cruel, vicious and vile. What else can you say about a race who generally worships a demon spider as their god?
Now Cunningham, she expanded on what Salvatore began with drow character development, but she also took it to a new level. Liriel is a great example of that. She is by far my favorite Drow character next to Drizzt.

Now if you want to get ahold of some serious development of female Drow, look no further that the War of the Spider Queen series. It has two of the coolest female drow characters that I've read about since Liriel. The authors of those books have taken the development to still a higher level than the two before them (at least so far. I'm in the middle of Condemnation as I write this).
I'm really looking forward to reading Cunningham's latest, Windwalker. The first two in the series were pretty cool, so my hopes are high for this one.
branmakmuffin Posted - 13 Jun 2003 : 16:39:51
I am replying to this from the "Have you noticed" topic in the Novel forum.

Mikayla:
quote:
<snip> Once I learned that the women ruled the drow, I was hooked! Girls had a place in D&D - even if it was as the villains, at least they were among the coolest villains. <snip>

But until what's her name in the Elaine Cunningham books, have there been any Drow women with any depth? I can't think of any except maybe one of Drizzt's sisters.

Until Cunningham wrote her book, in my opinion, Drow women were the one dimensional adolescent fantasies (of shall we say a darker nature) of WotC's male authors. Most Drow women are no more well developed (no pun intended) than any damsel in distress. The fact that they are the ones causing the distress doesn't make much of a difference to me. It simply continues one of the common stereotypes about women: that women can be vicious and cruel in ways beyond what men can do. That is as used up a fantasy archetype as the "brawny barbarian/quick witted city-bred rogue team-up" is.

Being an evil b***h is nothing to be proud of any more than being an evil bastard is.
Mournblade Posted - 05 May 2003 : 19:54:15
My game is very story and character oriented. My players have been experienced enough to recognize a plot hook and take it. They never really want to get back at me for anything, or if they do they don't do it ingame It is probably because they know there is no point in playing the game if they are not going to pursue the plot hook. I am experienced enough that I can make the plot find them in another way, so it really isn't an issue anyway.

Cult_Leader Posted - 05 May 2003 : 14:14:33
In our group we normally get back at each other by ignoring plot hook guys. You would have to see our group in action. In stead of always running here and running there like chickens with their heads cut off. We normally go doo a good deed (or a vile action), and then go fishing and lay around the next day ... to a week. Nothing better then ignoring a plot hook. In time you will run into the main stream of the chron anyway. And it is the job of the DM to put the players there. True soemtimes clues that put the players there are ignored... However I am normally the guy that gets the "POW" after the rest of the party is done with him or her. Unless Im playing a good char which is not very often. Umm let me think some more. uhhhh.... Oh yes... If the players ignore the plot hooks to much... Give them a reason they have to go .. that normally makes for better rp anyway. Or at least in some cases. As for the lute ... my chars never care about the loot unless I am playing a theif .. which I am baned from in our group because I can make my theifs to well. Other wise.. its ... WHO WANTS THIS GOLD!? WHO WANTS THIS ITEM!? ... I don't need them. I normally rely on char skill. That and I just follow the group around and save them when I can. Thats about it.
Malice Posted - 05 May 2003 : 06:19:05
I always play as a drow (Malice) but he knows how his kind are hated, and he wears white makeup (dont laugh, its true) to disguise himself, since he was banished from his land. He had to find a way.
branmakmuffin Posted - 05 May 2003 : 05:47:22
I frown on it, too. But if a group of players is thick and bloodthirsty enough to slaughter everything that they couldn't mistake for their second cousin even if they have to squint and pretend, it's their loss, not mine.

Especially since I wouln't be GMing for them long. And I'm a pretty good GM.

Ah, a good GM spell: Speak with Brain Dead
Mournblade Posted - 05 May 2003 : 05:29:44
Speak with dead

Generally I frown on characters slaughtering my clue giving NPC's.

branmakmuffin Posted - 05 May 2003 : 04:34:14
Yasraena:
quote:
Kinda gives new meaning to the phrase "shoot first and ask questions later", huh?

Damn, that was funny. It took me a second to get it. I hardly ever laugh out loud, especially when I'm alone, but that did it.
Yasraena Posted - 05 May 2003 : 03:16:16
Kinda gives new meaning to the phrase "shoot first and ask questions later", huh?
branmakmuffin Posted - 04 May 2003 : 22:19:38
Cult_Leader:
quote:
The group that I normally play in, in both my town and the next one over, we normally kill them all and then look around ... its not hard to find clues about things nore spare treasure if you actually take the time to look around after you kill

If the clues were in the minds of the people you just killed, you obviously won't get them, unless you're in the habit of speaking to your dead enemies after every battle.
Cult_Leader Posted - 04 May 2003 : 19:01:33
The group that I normally play in, in both my town and the next one over, we normally kill them all and then look around ... its not hard to find clues about things nore spare treasure if you actually take the time to look around after you kill ... you shouldnt just go on killing and killing and never looking .. thats a bad plan. Now and then we like to take someone and force them to tell our party things to .. heh .. thats always a fun thing to do. Anyway. I see why it was so dull. I bet they never looked around for clues as to what was going on etc.
branmakmuffin Posted - 04 May 2003 : 17:33:31
If my party encountered a lone Drow, I certainly wouldn't recommend being incautious. S/he could be "bait" for an ambush or something. But "Kill it, kill it, it's a Drow"! just rubs me the wrong way, as a player and as the types of characters I usually play.

I once was GMing for a particularly uninspired (and unispiring) group of folks. I ran them through an adventure I had run for my regular gaming circle. The adventure featured Orcs to a large degree. My regular group stopped, thought, figured out what the deal was and came away with nice rewards, monetary and social. The other group? "It's Orrrrrrrrrcs! Kiiiiiiiiiiiiiill!" They got loot off the Orcs' bodies, but that was nothing by comparison. It could just as easily have been Drow instead of Orcs and the result would have been the same (except Drow wouldn't have been as easy to kill).
Yasraena Posted - 04 May 2003 : 04:44:55
Branmakmuffin:
quote:

I would think it bad role-playing to not at least give a lone Drow the benefit of the doubt, even if that benefit is "Drop your weapons you white-haired bastard or we'll fill you so full of arrows your new name will be 'quiver'!"

Hahahaha! Just don't call me quiver!

But it's so hard to keep from thinking that way, Bran, especially with Drow (or Thayans for that matter). Stereotypes are mainly the result of people exagerating and/or expanding the actions of the targeted group. With the example you gave (Thayans and Drow) their actions are not exagerated, at least for the most part. They are truly evil and heinous acts, ergo the general perception that the entire race/nationality is evil, because they normally don't do 'good' things. When they do happen to do a good act, it's either by happenstance or not by design, but either way, it's not the norm.

I think that with the growing knowledge of Eilistraee by the surface races, and the growing number of Drow that follow her (Yasraena being one of them), the tales of what Drow do might start to include some good and righteous things, and hopefully, the general perception of them will change accordingly.

But, as it was said previously in this topic - realistically, just how many good drow are there in the Realms? They are still very few and far between, although their number are growing every day. That number has to increase dramatically for the tales of evil to turn to tales of good, and until that happens, the perception will stay as it is.
branmakmuffin Posted - 03 May 2003 : 23:31:40
Cult_Leader, not all Drow enclaves are led by women. There's one community that's led by wizards (i.e. men). They're worshippers of Vaehrun(sp?), I believe.

So most Drow societies are matriacal. Big deal. Thay is ruled by men. Does that necessarily mean all Thayans, especially men, are more evil than other men? Some are, of course. But some men from other palces are more evil than the run-of-the-mill Red Wizard. The heroine of Elaine Cunningham's books is a "good" Drow woman, as are priestesses of Ellistrae. Don't blame an individual for the sins of his or her society.

Just as we (hopefully) avoid bigoted sterotyping in RL, the same holds true for RPing, unless you are role-playing a bigot, which is fine if that's what you want to do. If you're not RPing a bigot or a race that traditionally holds extreme hatred for Drow, such as a Duergar, I would think it bad role-playing to not at least give a lone Drow the benefit of the doubt, even if that benefit is "Drop your weapons you white-haired bastard or we'll fill you so full of arrows your new name will be 'quiver'!"
Yasraena Posted - 03 May 2003 : 21:34:19
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

Since both Yasraena and Branmakmuffin want to know what a krenshar is, and the former also doesn't know about genasai, I'll take a moment to explain both.

The first I also didn't know about when Sadon mentioned it to me, but I quickly found it in a PDF Artalis was kind enough to give me.

From the Monster Manual:

Krenshar

Medium-Size Magical Beast

Combat

Krenshars use solitary scouts to drive prey into the waiting clutches of the pack. The scout appears from hiding, uses its scareability, then chases the fleeing target to join the attack.

Scare (Ex or Su): As a standard action, a krenshar can pull the skin back from its head, revealing the musculature and bony structures of its skull. This alone is usually sufficient to scare away foes (treat as a Bluff check with a +3 bonus). Combining this scare ability with a loud screech produces an unsettling effect that works like scare cast by a 3rd-level sorcerer (save DC 12). If the save is successful, that opponent cannot be affected gain by that krenshar’s scare ability for one day. The shriek does not affect other krenshars.

[quote]From the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting:

Genasai are descended from elemental-related creatures, such as efreet, dao, djinn, jann, and marids, among others. Most of them have had no direct contact with their elemental forebears, but the signs of their heritage are apparant. Genasai take great pride in their distinctive features and abilities.

Thanks for the info BW. I assume that this info is from the 3E books you referenced?
Is that PDF on the Krenshar available somewhere? If not, I'd appreciate if you'd email it to me if it's not too large a file - Yasraena T'Sarran - thanks oh mighty wyrm!
Cult_Leader Posted - 03 May 2003 : 20:31:56
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

Oh. Well, every post he's made starts with a whole-post quote -- meaning that even if he's only responding to one part, he'll quote the whole thing. I just skipped to the end without reading what was between the quote lines.

Yes that was a mistake upon my part. Nothing new. What it ment to say was this:

Yes its true that most things are not always true. However. Most drow females are always worse then the males. WHy is this? Take a look at it this way. If a male fails .. they are turned into drider... if a female fails they loose the favor of lolth. Most females are the ones in power ... end of story on the power part we already know what becoems of that. I did mean PC's, NPCS you cant argue with because the DM is god of his chron world. Anywho. A nice example of a mean evil female ... who started off not so bad... Was Drizzt's full blood sister. Look at her, she was so sweet and nice and then she became what .... evil ... mean ... a something I will not say on this message board.. JUST like her mother. Yes... Females drows really are not the worst of the drow huh.
Bookwyrm Posted - 03 May 2003 : 20:11:08
Oh. Well, every post he's made starts with a whole-post quote -- meaning that even if he's only responding to one part, he'll quote the whole thing. I just skipped to the end without reading what was between the quote lines.
branmakmuffin Posted - 03 May 2003 : 20:03:48
Cult_Leader put his or her reply to my post in between the "quote" tags. Cult_Leader's text starts with "nis al true."
Bookwyrm Posted - 03 May 2003 : 19:59:04
Cult Leader, what the heck were you trying to convey by just quoting a message and not saying anything?
Cult_Leader Posted - 03 May 2003 : 19:34:31
quote:
Originally posted by branmakmuffin

Cult_Leader:

I think you meant to say "PCs", not "NPCs", so here we go.

I agree that a player needs a good reason to play a Drow other than their bonuses.

I'm veering off-topic now. Look in the Hall of Heroes census statistics. Fully half the characters are Elves or Half-elves. I'm sure many play Elves because they really want to RP an Elf (I know some on this site who fall into that category), but I know for certain that most people play Elves for the bonuses. In 1e days, if a class was restricted to human of Half-elf, those types of players chose Half-elf and the only reason they didn't choose Elf was because they couldn't.

As for Drow women "always being worse", nothing is always true.nis al true. However just look at the way that most drow females are. Sure they might be nice... some of them that is. But what degree of nice are they? Most of them might be nicer then a few others but to every other race they are still cruel. You can take the sister of drizzt, the one that was still alive as an example. Sure she wanted to be nice but all in all she eneded up just turning into her mother. Go figure. Lolth has a nice firm hold on drow females. Comes with all the power that she gives them ... and the fact that if they fail her they are punished. Look at the Legends and Lores book in oh what was it? 1st or second ed? And by the by.... I would rather play a human then an elf... I normally do. Most of the plays and people I play d7d with would rather play something like an human .. half orc. gnome... dwarf ... or even an orc... We do this because elves are over played, and the fact that they were made to be more like an upper class race.

The Sage Posted - 03 May 2003 : 17:20:45
Greetings,

Edain Shadowstar said -
quote:
In general, life for Drow Elves anywhere, even in Drow cities, is a difficult one. On the surface they usually find themselves hunted by various bands of torch bearing villagers. They tend to attract lots of people out to kill them, even if they manage to establish a reputation of trustworthiness and honor.

Playing an evil Drow on the surface is much easier than a good Drow on the surface. Evil Drow don't have to change their ways much ont eh surface, and those bands of Lvl. 1 torch bearing commoners aren't so much a problem.

Generally speaking, as PCs it can be a nightmare int he begining, since the random bands of mercenaries tend to pop up to try and kill them at the worst times. Every after the get higher level and establish a reputation of one kind or another, they are still plagued by mercenaries, villages, guards, ect., and it can be rather annoying. As NPCs, well it really depends, largely on the outlook of my party at the time. they can be tolerent, intolerent, fearful, hateful, really any kind of reaction that fits the current party's ethos.

For the most part, they aren't really tolerated rather universally, and even when they are excepted someplace, there are always people coming out the woodwork to try and kill them anyways.
Well said. I agree entirely. Unfortunately all Dark Elves whether LG or CE carry the stigma of being Drow. So naturally they would all be perceived as the natural embodiment of chaos itself.

Every race carries the tendency to fear that which is universally different from their own race. And like Edain said, even when Drow are accepted by the general community at large, there will always be the small minority who feel threatened by a Drow's presence in their town or village.

As for running games that have Drow characters, well, I like to establish the fact for the players, that when Drow are involved in a campaign they will have automatic hindrances placed upon them by society at large. As Yasraena said -
quote:
A Drow elf is one to be feared and hated on sight, if only because of the things that the race as a whole has done in the past. This shouldn't be the case ALL of the time, because there are those individuals that judge not by looks, but by actions. But still, a feeling of mistrust, at least at first, should always be present when dealing with an unknown Drow. If the Drow in question has a reputation for good that has preceeded them, then maybe these instinctive feelings should be less, but not completely dismissed. Some of Drizzt's encounters are perfect exammples of this. Even HE gets the cold shoulder and threatened in places he's not known, and he's at least been heard of, even in some of the remotest places of Faerun.
This would seem to indicate that there are already racial barracades in place for any type of Drow character. So even before a player begins his career as a Drow based PC, I make sure they are aware of these facts. It is then up to the player to determine how he/she will react to the world's acceptence of Drow.

Good learning...

- The Sage of Perth: For all your Realms lore needs

Bookwyrm Posted - 03 May 2003 : 06:53:39
Heh. You're welcome, Mournblade. But you do the same thing for me a lot of the time.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000