Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Minotaurs

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
The Sage Posted - 28 Apr 2003 : 12:08:51
Greetings,

For those of you who read my posts, you are aware that soon I will be DMing a campaign that continues on from my Underdark Campaign taking the PC's to Evermeet.

A new player has just joined the group with intention of joining the PC's. He wants to play a minotaur.

After researching some of the published material on minotaur racial traits I have decided to make a few adjustments, which I hope you will commment on, making suggestions for improvements and any criticisms you feel is relevant.

Here is what I have so far -

Alignment: Any
Religion: Tempus, Tyr, Torm

Racial Traits
  • +2 strength, +4 constitution, -2 wisdom, -2 charisma
  • + 2 natural AC. Minotaurs have a thick hide of fur which adds a natural bonus to their AC
  • Large-Size: As large creatures, Minotaurs suffer -1 AC and -4 to Hide skills
  • Base Speed: 30ft
  • Darkvision: 30ft
  • +2 racial bonus on Intimidate checks
  • Automatic Languages: Minotaur. Bonus Languages: Common, Goblin, Orc
  • Favored Class: Fighter
I am aware that there are some stats missing, I'm still sorting these out. But until then what's everybody think?.

Good learning...

- The Sage of Perth: For all your Realms lore needs

30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
The Sage Posted - 30 May 2003 : 07:12:08
I can see your point Edain, but like I said before, I am reworking the stats, and there's alot of suggestions here which need to be carefully weighed, and detailed accurately, so I guess I will see how I go with them.

Edain Shadowstar Posted - 30 May 2003 : 03:50:56
Bonus to Intuit Direction does seem appropriate, since classically, though the Minotaur was slow-witted he could move quickly through the labryinth while other's wandered about, lost. It would also be appropriate for a Minotaur to benefit from sharp hearing and scent, although I believe bulls suffer from poor eye sight, which might translate,at least slightly, to a penalty for the Minotaur. Again, a dexterity penatly fits since they tender to be the lumbering giant types, strong and hearty, but not very agile.
The Sage Posted - 29 May 2003 : 09:04:01
I like the +2 bonus to Intuit Direction.

I may take that into consideration now that I am revising the stats a little.

May your learning be free and unfettered

Bookwyrm Posted - 29 May 2003 : 08:46:17
Thank you for the name, Sage -- that was the place I was referring to. I just didn't have the information right in front of me, and was feeling too lazy to go and fetch something not exactly crucial to what I was saying.

As I said before, they should have some sort of bonus to wisdom, or to a finding-your-way-around sense like Intuit Direction. I'd favor the latter (say, a +2 bonus to Intuit Direction checks, and it is a class skill no matter the actual class). Perhaps a 'scent' ability? I'm not sure exactly what that does, being so behind in my reading, but I just have this image of a minotaur sniffing at the air and directing his party accordingly.

As for making the minotaur too powerful -- that's what the ECL is there to take care of, remember? It's really a very good system for that.
The Sage Posted - 29 May 2003 : 08:06:35
A valid few points Edain. Thank you for the comments.

Like the gnomes stats I just posted, I will now rework these minotaurs stats as well.

Edain Shadowstar Posted - 28 May 2003 : 21:11:58
A large part of the commonly percieved beastial mentality of Minotaur comes from the classic Minoan culture, where the idea of the minotaur was first concieved. The minotaur, the half-man, half-bull born by King Minos' wife was depicted largely as a strong, yet perhaps somewhat slow-witted creature, as was a popular concept of Greek mythologies (the hero was often clever, using not just physical prowess but also intelligence to defeat mighty and strong opponents). Now, of course there can be some expected deviation in a fantastic setting from the mor emythological roots, however since the minotaur is half-bull, half-man, I do find it a bit hard to believe her could be much smarter than an average human, but they certantly are not dumb as the average goblin. Frankly I prefer to think of minotaurs with, for the most part, a bit sub-human intelligence, but definately not moronic, beastial creatures exhibiting no rational thoughts. Now, in a game rules sense, any creature with such an impressive strength and stamina should be penalized somewhere (though for a minotaur I firmly believe they should recieve dexterity and charisma penatlies).
The Sage Posted - 28 May 2003 : 07:35:51
Intelligent minotaurs, as I see it are not just unique to Krynn. Of the few portrayals of minotaurs in the Realms, rarely have they displayed the beastial nature, that they are sometimes described as having. And just as a base comparison, humans in the Realms can sometimes be just as beastial, yet they are mostly described as having normal intelligence. So I guess it really depends on how one interpretes things.

Mournblade, if you could direct me to FR material that illustrates minotaurs as the beastial monsters you describe them as, I would like to read it, and make a comparison study, it sounds interesting .

It seems as though everyone has different perceptions on how minotaurs should be represented. I like that diversity because it adds a level of complexity and originality to the game that we all love.

Good learning...

- The Sage of Perth: For all your Realms Lore needs

Mournblade Posted - 27 May 2003 : 22:20:43
WOW thanks Bookwyrm I will have to look into that archaelogical find. Half the fun of D&D for me is trying to figure out where all the different items of the game originates from. I guess I just love studying Evolution.

Sage I know about the Minotaurs of DL. I am sure they are intelligent, but they are unique to DL. (and here I go again) but so are KENDER, and if the minotaurs were so smart they would of Devoured them all off the face of Krynn

The Sage Posted - 27 May 2003 : 07:30:50
Mournblade, I think it is a common misconception amongst many D&D players that minotaurs are 'dumb beastial creatures' as you say. In the Dragonlance setting for example, the minotaurs as a race, are quite keen and intelligent, regularly displaying the cunning of a human and the swiftness of mind like an elf. In fact alot of published stats on DL minotaurs as well as the fan-created DL3e material clearly makes allowances for above average intelligent minotaurs.

And Bookwyrm said -
quote:
By the way, Mournblade, did you know they think they found the place where the Labyrinth of the Minotaur myth came from? No deformed skeleton in its depths, but there's this palace on Crete that has a maze in it. No real way to prove it, but it looks like that's the main kernel to this myth . . . .
Actually Bookwyrm I remember reading something about that not to long ago, it proved very interesting. In fact I believe there is a new book coming out by a major publisher detailing some major diggings that have been carried out recently on the Minoan Palace of Knossos (that would be the palace you mentioned in your post above), and the surrounding environs. It also makes reference to some curious carbon-dating findings about material that is supposedly debris left from the old Labyrinth.

Good learning...

Bookwyrm Posted - 27 May 2003 : 06:08:51
Mournblade, I think that Unixx just didn't articulate himself well. (As I said in another post, Unixx, you need to work on that sort of thing.)

The finding-your-way-around ability is represented by wisdom in D&D. That's not the same as intelligence, but he does have a point in that minotaurs are supposed to be good at not getting lost. I think this penalty should be transfered to charisma and intelligence. I also think that some wisdom-based skills (especially Intuit Direction) should have a bonus.

By the way, Mournblade, did you know they think they found the place where the Labyrinth of the Minotaur myth came from? No deformed skeleton in its depths, but there's this palace on Crete that has a maze in it. No real way to prove it, but it looks like that's the main kernel to this myth . . . .
Mournblade Posted - 27 May 2003 : 03:37:02
I have no idea why you would think a minotaur is clever. They seem to be dumb beastial creatures. Just look at what they are based on... a bull. One of the stupidest animals on the planet. Theseus was able to defeat the minotaur, because he was just a beast. I mean no disrespect, but I NEVER envisioned the Minotaur as a clever creature.

unixx Posted - 26 May 2003 : 19:29:36
i am of the opinion that minitours are cunning and even from the book stand point they get certain things to illustrate this. but with the version you have i believe zemd is correct CR+1 +2 max the only thing i can really see changing is the -2 to wis. i mean their all good with mazes and most minitours came around a punishment for disobeying deities (and most of those being fallen paladins) so i would give them -2 to cha. instead of -2 wis. considering they are all fairly intellegent and quick thinky.
eilinel Posted - 20 May 2003 : 09:53:22
and sprite too i think...
The Sage Posted - 14 May 2003 : 08:00:27
I've got some altered Gnome racial traits coming also, so stay tuned.

Good learning...

eilinel Posted - 13 May 2003 : 17:53:12
U have defenetly bad jokes Zemd...
zemd Posted - 12 May 2003 : 18:32:22
quote:
Originally posted by eilinel

it may be a little minotaur...

Welcome in the great library of Candlekeep and face the baby minotaur
eilinel Posted - 12 May 2003 : 13:40:16
it may be a little minotaur...
The Sage Posted - 12 May 2003 : 09:11:33
Zemd,

Your suggestions have some validity. I am currently reworking the stats for the minotaur race that I presented here. I'll be sure to post the revised statistics when I'm done.

zemd Posted - 11 May 2003 : 12:36:48
quote:
Originally posted by Sage of Perth

Whoops!

Sorry, Edain I forgot about that.

As per your request these minotaurs have an ECL of +3

I'd say ECL +1 or maximum +2. They are less powerful than their CE counterparts. (natural CA +5, Charge, Natural Cunning, Bonus skill points, 2 feats free.
I don't think this version is far more powerfull than an aasimar or a tiefling

I'd tell ECL +2. They are far less powerfull than their CE counterparts. They lack the charge ability
Bookwyrm Posted - 10 May 2003 : 18:36:47
quote:
Originally posted by Tombo

Now if the 'person' looking at the Minotaur is also a Minotaur then maybe the charisma adjustment should be 0... but that's operating on an entirely different philosophy for charisma.

I believe that sort of situation is taken care of in the official lore. Sometimes a class or race, dealing with one of his/her "own," gets a +2 competency bonus on Charisma-related skills, such as Diplomacy, Gather Information -- things like that.
Tombo Posted - 08 May 2003 : 15:22:25
Ahhh, the Mighty and Proud Minotaur. That should be a fun campaign to run. I like your racial traits (stat adjustments). However, in my opinion, I would tweak them just a bit. I'd probably make charisma more like -4 and probably change the -2 wisdom to -2 intelligence. Just my opinion of course. Have you ever smelled a bull or cow up close. Usually it's only flies that are interested in getting close to them. They are very dirty, smelly creatures. I imagine that a minotaur's charisma would be greatly affected by a combination of poor hygene habits with a dirty smelly natural odor. Now if the 'person' looking at the Minotaur is also a Minotaur then maybe the charisma adjustment should be 0... but that's operating on an entirely different philosophy for charisma. Anyway, it sounds like fun.

Tom
Mournblade Posted - 02 May 2003 : 22:31:41
quote:
Originally posted by Sage of Perth

Greetings,

mournblade94 said -
quote:
Beef.

One of the most popular selling brands of meat is ANGUS BEEF.

Very funny, thank you.

You are very strange (in a good way) mournblade94, perhaps you deserve a paragraph or two in my travelogue.

Hmm.

Good learning...

I have been told this before, thank you

And I simply would be honored!
The Sage Posted - 02 May 2003 : 14:46:17
Greetings,

mournblade94 said -
quote:
Beef.

Very funny, thank you.

You are very strange (in a good way) mournblade94, perhaps you deserve a paragraph or two in my travelogue.

Hmm.

Good learning...

Edain Shadowstar Posted - 30 Apr 2003 : 21:17:39
OH! I get it, because minotaurs are part cow...I see, very good one. <Hear's distinct whooshing sound.>
Mournblade Posted - 30 Apr 2003 : 04:37:56
Beef.

The Sage Posted - 30 Apr 2003 : 04:05:56
Greetings,

Edain Shadowstar said -
quote:
What???
I have to agree with that Edain. mournblade94, if you could please elaborate on what you were talking about.

Good learning...

Edain Shadowstar Posted - 29 Apr 2003 : 22:21:39
What???
Mournblade Posted - 29 Apr 2003 : 22:01:06
Hmmmm...

You also forgot to mention the important minotaur ability...

Can feed party because it has all the cuts of meat on its person until dead.

I beleive there was a minotaur named Angus that was an expert at feeding people.

Edain Shadowstar Posted - 29 Apr 2003 : 05:38:18
Ahhh! Excellent! That was exactly what I needed, thank you Sage of Perth! Well, firstly, based on the ECL it looks overall balanced. The strength and constitution bonuses seem close to right; you might considers switching them, although it's a tough call because Minotaur are just about as strong as they are hearty. The wisdom and charisma penalties are just about right (kinda curious as to why you didn't put a int bonus on, perhaps in place of the wis penalty, but as is, is just fine, just curious). The AC good, although it does come down some because of the size, but increasing it more might overpower the montaur a bit. Speed is good, darkvision is good, and the intimidate bonus makes excellent sense. Overall it's very good, there are a few little alteration that I can foresee, but as it is now it is pretty good.
The Sage Posted - 29 Apr 2003 : 04:17:26
Whoops!

Sorry, Edain I forgot about that.

As per your request these minotaurs have an ECL of +3

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000