Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 41 urban adventure ideas

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Kiaransalyn Posted - 20 Aug 2006 : 14:24:53
For abut three years I was a fairly active DM for an online RP site set in Menzoberranzan. Since the setting was mostly urban it became quite difficult for some of the DM's to gome up with game ideas since a large number of games involve characters travelling from place to place. That is they require dynamic settings, whereas most online Persistent worlds are static since there is both a finite limit of areas the PC's can explore and there is a finite limit the server can host.

Therefore, I did some thinking, a bit more searching and drew up the following 41 adventure seeds. With a little tweaking they should work in most urban settings. The sources I consulted were: page 138 of the 3rd Edn, Dungeon Master's Guide. Drizt Do'Urden's Guide to the Underdark and the Menzoberranzan Boxed Set.

Generally, my urban adventures were concerned with disease, fire, crime and trade. An adventure arc can cycle these four in several combinations. For example, increased trade brings increased wealth but also brings infected goods that cause a plague. The plague decimates or incapacitates the authorites that maintain law causing an increase in crime. Then a fire breaks out which destroys several of the disease's strongholds and allows order to return . . . until the next time.

I hope you find them useful. And for the record, give adventure 41 a try. You'll soon find out which of your players identify too strongly with their PCs.

1. Thieves steal a Qu'ellar's valuable jewels
2. The tomb/lair of a long-dead but powerful wizard has been discovered.
3. Wealthy merchants are being kiled in their homes.
4. A Gate to the lower planes is causing an influx of unbound demons and devils.
5. Miners in the Lustrum uncover something.
6. A rival guild/cabal of wizards springs up to challenge Sorcere.
7. Slavers are raiding the trade routes.
8. A fire (or other type) elemental is on the loose.
9. An enchanter is compelling others to steal for him.
10. Something has brought the plague.
11. The keys/devices for disarming all of the magic traps in a building have gone missing.
12. Something is organising the non-drow creatures in the Braeryn.
13. A vampire, or vampires, are preying on the Menzoberranyr.
14. A poison has been put into the water supply, an antidote must be found.
15. Dodgy merchants are selling faulty magic items then leaving before the buyer discovers the fraud.
16. A recently discovered artifact is affecting arcane spellcasters' ability to use magic.
17. Vermin are multiplying and getting out of hand.
18. A high priestess is actually an illusion.
19. A fire threatens to get out of control.
20. A resurrected character is not what they once were.
21. All the doors to a major food warehouse are suddenly locked and trapped, and teleportation magic does not work either.
22. There are rumours that someone will disrupt a well-attended social event.
23. A drow thought to be long dead is seen in the city.
24. Gladitorial games are going to be held and some Houses are looking for champions.
25. Powerful elixirs, eg Potions of Eternal Youth are becoming very popular. However, they are being made from young drow maidens.
26. Two parts of an artifact are in the hands of bitter rivals, the third is missing.
27. Cultists are working to summon a powerful god/entity into Menzoberranzan.
28. A batch of powerful weapons bound for Arach Tinilith or a House has been stolen.
29. A series of earthquakes rock the city.
30. Lloth demands that the junior priestesses develop a new prayer or form of pleasing her. The successful priestesses will be promoted to High Priestesses.
31. 'Commoners' attached to several major Houses are raiding the Lustrum.
32. A drow body with tentacles for arms has been found carrying several powerful weapons.
33. Students and Teachers of one of the Academy's schools are being killed thus weakening the city.
34. Promising students from all the Houses except Baenre are dying in 'training accidents'.
35. A violent murderer is on the loose and has as yet evaded capture.
36. A very addictive drug is ravaging the city's youth.
37. A number of mysterious spies are thought to be at large in the city.
38. The Trojan Horse or in this case a giant spider statue.
39. A deadly 'turf war' breaks out between rival gangs.
40. A powerful explosion results in a rapidly expanding poisonous gas cloud.
41. A popular prostitute in the Braeryn is actually a shape-changed mind-flayer.
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kiaransalyn Posted - 25 Jun 2012 : 22:02:02
Hurrah for the search function on this site. Thanks Alaundo.
Bladedancer Posted - 22 Aug 2006 : 17:51:28
Aye more than a few of these will help in my Menzoberranzan campaign. Thanks Kiaransalyn
Dhomal Posted - 21 Aug 2006 : 02:33:12
Hello-

Thanks Kiaransalyn! My current campaign (just starting, really) is partially urban, partially in the wilds - so this list will be helpful. Ah - the printer just finished! :)

Dhomal

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000