Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 How do you use Elans in the Realms?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
VonRaventheDaring Posted - 12 Aug 2006 : 02:34:08
Okay i know that Elans are not standard and have not been placed in the realms but i was wondering how you view the Elans in the Realms or how you think they should be placed in the Realms. I recently asked this same question in the Wizards boards, however i usually get better feed back as a whole on this site so i am repeating the question. Thanks in advance, oh sages.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
VonRaventheDaring Posted - 24 Jun 2007 : 03:58:58
It has been posted about the Elan's as well as the Blues, and teh Duergar.

Article
EytanBernstein Posted - 08 Jun 2007 : 21:57:30
quote:
Originally posted by VonRaventheDaring

Oh thats good to hear Eytan Bernstein I like your work. I would love to see more of Auppenser, psionics and Jhaamdath in the realms. I mean i think the creation of this deity by Ed Bonny rocks and I hope you consult him, or he gets to detail it more. Reguardless i am looking forward to your article.

There will indeed be more on all of those things.
VonRaventheDaring Posted - 08 Jun 2007 : 15:35:45
Oh thats good to hear Eytan Bernstein I like your work. I would love to see more of Auppenser, psionics and Jhaamdath in the realms. I mean i think the creation of this deity by Ed Bonny rocks and I hope you consult him, or he gets to detail it more. Reguardless i am looking forward to your article.
EytanBernstein Posted - 08 Jun 2007 : 06:16:17
I've got big plans for them in the upcoming Class Chronicles: Psionics articles.
The Sage Posted - 08 Jun 2007 : 00:29:06
quote:
Originally posted by Gwaeren Tiliano

Does anyone know what the holy symbol of Auppenser looks like?

From Ed Bonny's write-up here at Candlekeep [see the '05 'Great Sages' reply file] -

"Symbol: An eye centered within a hexagonally shaped gem"
Gwaeren Tiliano Posted - 07 Jun 2007 : 23:14:02
Does anyone know what the holy symbol of Auppenser looks like?
VonRaventheDaring Posted - 18 Oct 2006 : 16:00:55
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicRaces.htm#elans
here are their stats if you are interested Mace.
Kalin Agrivar Posted - 18 Oct 2006 : 15:57:42
quote:
Originally posted by Mace Hammerhand

What are Elans???

they are a PC race from the psionics handbook..

imagine a human going through a ritual to be reborn (but with no memory of their past life at all) as a highly psionic, immortal (as in the don't age, not indestructable) race resembling a human...
Mace Hammerhand Posted - 18 Oct 2006 : 15:54:47
What are Elans???
VonRaventheDaring Posted - 18 Oct 2006 : 15:38:00
Okay Aelf i get what your saying now. I hadn't thought of that to be honest as i don't think most Elans would take Wizardry being a psionically active creature but ...... the possiblities are still there.
Aelf Posted - 17 Oct 2006 : 23:49:57
quote:

Okay Aelf that made no sense to me at all.

Here's the issue as I see it:

Alter Self (Brd/Sor/Wiz2, I'm not sure if Psionic types get something similar) gives the size, mundane movement (to a limit of 120' flying or 60' nonflying), natural armor, natural weapons, racial skill bonuses and feats of another creature of your type not exceeding 5HD or your caster level (whatever is lower) for 10 minutes/level.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/alterSelf.htm

Most characters are of the Humanoid type. Alter Self isn't normally a big deal. A Trog is about the most useful combat form since it has a +6 natural armor bonus. Other humanoids are great for impersonation/etc.

Since Elans are Abberations, they have quite a diffrent list. Just from the 3.5 MM, they can Alter Self into a carrion crawler, choker, ethereal filcher, ettercap, gibbering mouther, grick, rust monster or skum.

Even though most special attacks, special qualities, and extraordinary abilities don't carry over, it's probably not what comes to mind when you envision an Elan casting Alter Self.

Finally, it is a personal spell which means that a familiar (as long as it remains within 5') can also benefit. When considering the shock value, a level 3 Elan wizard could transform himself and his familiar into adjacent Rust Monsters ...

I hope this makes sense of my earlier post.

P.S. I pray you folks don't interpret this message as Aelf == Crunch Monkey/Munkin. I just sit at the table with a few.
VonRaventheDaring Posted - 17 Oct 2006 : 20:19:35
Okay Aelf that made no sense to me at all.
Aelf Posted - 17 Oct 2006 : 05:45:36
Just my 2cp:

If you're allowing PC Elans (or don't want to be a completely Evil DM), you might wish to reconsider the Elan's type (Abberation) as Alter Self would be a very powerful Level 2 spell - even given its limitation of 5HD.
VonRaventheDaring Posted - 17 Oct 2006 : 01:02:04
You know i was thinking they wouldn't really go with a clan thing at all they would in my opinion develop more akin to the Illithids, what with instead of clans, they would utilized creeds or belief systems. Although i would think that they might be a bit more socially active than the squidheads. Also i would say that the Elans would probabbly have a special relations ship to their sire's to steal the concept from some vampire lore that is. Although those are just my opinions on the subject, also they would probabbly despise the Illithids who are stealing their lore, ie inheritance from Jhaamdath.
VonRaventheDaring Posted - 19 Aug 2006 : 23:41:16
Okay so your saying one clan, made up of the survivors from the other clans, with some interesting politics i would say i mean if you live technically forever wouldn't you have some interesting politics. Glad you like the 'vs Calimport' idea. I would say that they would probabbly be anti illithid as well i mean who do you think has most of the lore from Jhaamdath. Oh and i have mixed ideas on how they would relate to elves.
Kalin Agrivar Posted - 18 Aug 2006 : 22:48:39
quote:

Yeah i love the idea of you never know who could be an elan, and i think there could be many of them among 'us' especially in the reach i mean thats where any awakened elans from Jhaamdath would have interest, unless they were interested in Calimiport as well i mean they did have a few wars and all......

The "vs Calimshan" idea is cool...kinda like pick up where they left off :) maybe trying to take back the southern Vilhon Reach too...and in the Sea of Stars it states there are still surviving Jhaamdath city ruins there

quote:

Interesting question for you all how would you structure the clans?

quote:
Originally posted by GothicDan

I would have each city have a Clan, and then within each city, there would be 6 'Tribes' or 'Families,' for each of the types of Psion. :)

I wouldn't go with the "one clan per city" thing nor the "one clan per psionic "school" thing...And I'm sorry but I think that is a pretty old and somewhat cheesy idea...in the same way as "we have a surviving evil netherese flying city so we need to bring in a good one" kind of way

The only reason why I think Thay got away with that in the first place was due to each schools in lethal competition of eachother for rulership of the country...

if you had to do the city:clan thing I would do the "they fled from Faerun" think and give them their own kingdom/continent on the other side of Toril (which also reminds me a bit of the Wheel of Time series). How many cities were there? and with six sub-clans per city? It would take an aweful lot of Elan to pull that off

If you plan to make them a secret power group in Faerun than only 1 clan made up of survivors from all the city states...and then maybe a network of secret psionic academies hidden in the old Jhaamdath region...cause there is no place like home
GothicDan Posted - 18 Aug 2006 : 20:58:45
I would have each city have a Clan, and then within each city, there would be 6 'Tribes' or 'Families,' for each of the types of Psion. :)
VonRaventheDaring Posted - 18 Aug 2006 : 03:04:34
Interesting question for you all how would you structure the clans?
VonRaventheDaring Posted - 17 Aug 2006 : 23:50:49
Yeah i love the idea of you never know who could be an elan, and i think there could be many of them among 'us' especially in the reach i mean thats where any awakened elans from Jhaamdath would have interest, unless they were interested in Calimiport as well i mean they did have a few wars and all......
Chosen of Moradin Posted - 17 Aug 2006 : 20:14:38
quote:
Originally posted by Mkhaiwati

heh heh, am I the only one who saw this topic and thought "why would Elan be there, they have enough bards!" and was thinking of the Order of the Stick.

This was the most hilarious thing that happened in weeks, for me. I burst in laughing here in the job after read that...
And now, I“m looking again in all the thread with "Stick“s eyes"
Hilarious.
Mkhaiwati Posted - 17 Aug 2006 : 20:00:26
heh heh, am I the only one who saw this topic and thought "why would Elan be there, they have enough bards!" and was thinking of the Order of the Stick.
Chosen of Moradin Posted - 17 Aug 2006 : 19:09:21
Heheh, that was not exactly my idea.

My point is that not the whole village, only some few, are elans and/or new psions, gathering to share knowledge, advance agendas, etc. They don“t need to be antagonists of the players (well, the players don“t need to know this ). But the players should have the oportunity to "stumble upon" that little mysterie, and start to wonder what is happening. Heh, better than all if one of the players is a psion and member os this group.. things will start to grow very interesting.
Kalin Agrivar Posted - 17 Aug 2006 : 18:44:03
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Moradin

And put the players to wonder why the village cobbler, the hunter, the member of the militia, the wife of the elder, and some other members of "insert place name here" are doing, gathering all first day of each tenday, in that abandoned warehouse.

Spooooooooooooky!

I like the idea but my players are too cany for the "whole village closes down and the villagers gather at one secret spot" trick..it's a classic but also too obvious...

I would have the whole village dominated...so their alignments still appear good/neutral...that have them attack as a mob a la Resident Evil 4

Thats how I did that old adventure SE of Shadowdale in the old For Draconomicon book (the Green dragon one)
GothicDan Posted - 17 Aug 2006 : 18:40:21
Hehehe.

Good old D&D adventure, with psionic intrigue thrown in.
Chosen of Moradin Posted - 17 Aug 2006 : 17:54:39

And put the players to wonder why the village cobbler, the hunter, the member of the militia, the wife of the elder, and some other members of "insert place name here" are doing, gathering all first day of each tenday, in that abandoned warehouse.

Spooooooooooooky!
GothicDan Posted - 17 Aug 2006 : 17:39:54
Hm. Or perhaps combine the ideas...

Make them like the Twisted Rune. Say 12 Elan Psions, one from each city, survived, and went into 'hibernation' in an Astral state. And only recently have they awakened, and are funding secret Psionic societies across Faerun...

That? That's Faerunian style, right there, baby. :)
Chosen of Moradin Posted - 17 Aug 2006 : 17:35:26
quote:
Originally posted by kalin agrivar

no it wasn't...it was deliberate

under that scenario I would use that human-like race in the Stormwrack book and give them the pherenic (sp?) template...

If I remember right the Elan are immortal...if so I would use the Elan similar to the Surkh...ancient psionists from Jamdath...

I would also put the Elan onto another continent...have them the survivors of Jhaamdath who fled from Faerun from the elves...maybe have them have a genocidal hatred of the elves for destroying their culture and almost killing their god

You could use them as a secret society. They are, in all aspects, humans in appearance. So, you could use them as ancient survivors of the fall of Jaamdhat. Some of them can be in hybernation, others can be mixed in some Faerūnian country, making secret gatherings, and working to preserve the true about themselves and to preserve the history of old Jaamdath.
GothicDan Posted - 17 Aug 2006 : 17:30:46
I would say 12...
VonRaventheDaring Posted - 17 Aug 2006 : 17:20:09
Okay guess this discussion died, darn an it was going so well. I was wondering how many clans of Elans for FR you think there should or would be. I was thinking 6 or 12 (6 psionic disicplines, or 12 cities of Jhaamdath.).
VonRaventheDaring Posted - 14 Aug 2006 : 15:28:59
Well i would have them scatter, like one clan to an area, send them all over the realms as a way to safe guard them ever experiancing the same type of event again. Also i believe they would have created safeguards in place like say psionic portals to wisk them to Astral, safehouses, or fortresses if you would in case local disasters struck. How many clans do you feel there should be, i think that the Auppenser story line makes 6 - 7 the appropriate number, although the Jhaamdath cities would make it possible for 12 cities and 12 clans.
I think that they should have a new specialization class like the ArchWizard, for the psions of Jhaamdath and especially the Elans due to their immortality, call it the ArchPsion as per third eye's articles and update it a bit and that could work.
How i would do the whole Elven/Elan thing is that those Elans from Jhaamdath and created in the receint aftermath of the High Magic, would be anti-elven, but some would probabbly move on, i mean you to have to remeber that while they might be bitter still and untrusting of elves not all would be rabidly anti-elven. Of course that said there would be some that would never forgive the elves and would activly attack them. But i would have the newer formed Elans as the more elf friendly of the Elans most likely. Of course the Elans could see the Elves as another reason for their Secrecy policy, in fact it could be the reason for the policy.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000