Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Suitable Music

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Alexis Merlin Posted - 19 Mar 2003 : 22:31:34
Hi all,

I was wondering what sort of music people liked to listen to while 'exploring the realms' - I don't just mean in adventures, I also mean while reading the books etc...it doesn't even have to be music you would expect to hear actually played in the Realms by bards, just more what you personally find suits the mood...

As for myself, I quite like the strains of Beethoven, Mozart, and Wagner (Sad I know...), and also find the soundtracks from films like 'Gladiator', and 'Lord of the Rings' to be good as well...

30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Jamallo Kreen Posted - 02 Feb 2008 : 09:17:08
I think I've got you all beat. The PCs went spying on the Tuigan Horde during a funeral of one of their leaders, and I played a CD of Mongolian throat singing, something which has to be heard to be believed!

Lord Rad Posted - 13 Feb 2004 : 09:19:01
quote:
Originally posted by calissandra

quote:
Originally posted by zemd

Last time, i put Midnight Syndicate... i was nearly as tensed as my players!

I wholeheartedly agree! I loooove Midnight Syndicate...especially for dungeon crawls. :-D

I picked up the Dungeons & Dragons CD by Midnight Syndicate - quite enjoy it and it intrigued me to get more of their work - any recommendations on their other CD's?
calissandra Posted - 13 Feb 2004 : 06:50:44
quote:
Originally posted by zemd

Last time, i put Midnight Syndicate... i was nearly as tensed as my players!

I wholeheartedly agree! I loooove Midnight Syndicate...especially for dungeon crawls. :-D
Elrond Half Elven Posted - 04 Feb 2004 : 21:26:01
quote:
Originally Posted by Mournblade
I almost forgot!

Some of the best rock music to use in Roleplaying is Blind Guardian. They are an INCREDIBLE band from Germany. They sing about such things as LOTR, ELRIC, and other things from scifi. THey have miscellaneous other songs as well. one of the best is SOMEWHERE FAR BEYOND. One of their most incredible albums is Nightfall on Middle-earth. It is basically an entire album singing songs about the battles before the third age.

GOOD STUFF! Check them out!

Haha! Mournblade, the king of cheesy Power Metal! Next he will be saying he plays Man-o-War, or Hammerfall!

Hanx
Elrond
Mournblade Posted - 17 May 2003 : 21:33:35
I almost forgot!

Some of the best rock music to use in Roleplaying is Blind Guardian. They are an INCREDIBLE band from Germany. They sing about such things as LOTR, ELRIC, and other things from scifi. THey have miscellaneous other songs as well. one of the best is SOMEWHERE FAR BEYOND. One of their most incredible albums is Nightfall on Middle-earth. It is basically an entire album singing songs about the battles before the third age.

GOOD STUFF! Check them out!

Mournblade Posted - 17 Apr 2003 : 02:00:04
In my campaign right now, EVERY evil church is sweating due to the re-emergence of BANE. The way I have it Cyric is SHAKING in his knickers, hoping Bane does not try to reclaim MORE of his portfolio.

Remember BANE only bowed to one knee before AO. I generally don't play evil characters, but if I do they will certainly follow bane. He has a REAL power about him. It seems he KNOWS if he could unite the forces of evil, the world would be his. He is a sinister and powerful deity.

I have an NPC who is an inquisitor of sorts who just hunts Cyricists. If he had his choice of fighting good or fighting cyric he would fight cyric. He has teamed up with good characters just to beat Cyric heirophants.

eilinel Posted - 16 Apr 2003 : 09:26:52
I would be happy finally, Bane is a cool guy, isn't he?
A bit too serious however

in Beshaba, why not...
Mournblade Posted - 16 Apr 2003 : 03:13:44

May Mystra, Azuth and every god u like bane u, little snake

Does this mean Mystra and Azuth will change you into.... BANE!!!!!??

eilinel Posted - 15 Apr 2003 : 12:50:46
May Mystra, Azuth and every god u like bane u, little snake

DU!!!
zemd Posted - 15 Apr 2003 : 12:35:56
quote:
Originally posted by eilinel

quote:
Eilinel singing...
well IC: sure after all she's a follower of Liira!
RL: ARRRRRGHHHHH run away!

did i ask anything ? He said that I have a cute voice, not u...
May Liira bane u.
Tsss

And I say that EILINEL has a cute voice? (IC= In character / RL=real life)
eilinel Posted - 15 Apr 2003 : 12:27:07
quote:
Eilinel singing...

did i ask anything ? He said that I have a cute voice, not u...
May Liira bane u.
Tsss
zemd Posted - 15 Apr 2003 : 10:26:40
quote:
Originally posted by eilinel

quote:
On the note of sounding stupid, Elinel you are the only person I can say that has a cute accent without even hearing your voice!!!

Thanks,
i know i could almost sing by myself during the game sessions... (just before then end, when the archdevil comes and kills the players)

Eilinel singing...
eilinel Posted - 15 Apr 2003 : 08:40:05

quote:
On the note of sounding stupid, Elinel you are the only person I can say that has a cute accent without even hearing your voice!!!

Thanks,
i know i could almost sing by myself during the game sessions... (just before then end, when the archdevil comes and kills the players)

I'd know what exactly is the difference between mine and very other foreigner accent. I do not understand that anyway.

for the charge, u should try rhapsody or stratovarius, good also.

Alexis Merlin Posted - 15 Apr 2003 : 00:51:58
Ok most of the music which I use myself has already been mentioned...but just a few more -

Iron Maiden, Faure's and Mozart's Requiems, Beethoven, Bach, Wagner, Theme Music to Batman (the Gothic and less Superhero-sounding parts), even some Gilbert & Sullivan for a really bouncy mood. I guess it really depends on the effect which you are trying to create - I've never used music in my games - and only occasionally use it when reading. Most of the time it is for helping me to fit a good description to a scene in my writing or whilst surfing sites like this one.
Mournblade Posted - 14 Apr 2003 : 23:12:07
I don't know but when I hear the Immigrant Song by Led Zeppelin, I just imagine a HUGE BARBARIAN HORDE CHARGING!!!!!

Einstein was good, all right, but who cares how much he was?
And dyslexic or not, whats the matter between him and the music, does someone tell me that?

Im sure u'll write he liked music and everything...

Then, im also in love of celtic music, i will write u the titles of all the CDs i have, but later. [go back to work]

Bookwyrm Posted - 14 Apr 2003 : 16:04:17
Okay, so we get off-topic! So sue us! Like that's never happened to you, huh?
eilinel Posted - 14 Apr 2003 : 16:01:21
Einstein was good, all right, but who cares how much he was?
And dyslexic or not, whats the matter between him and the music, does someone tell me that?

Im sure u'll write he liked music and everything...

Then, im also in love of celtic music, i will write u the titles of all the CDs i have, but later. [go back to work]
Bookwyrm Posted - 12 Apr 2003 : 17:59:30
There's also the story of how he failed high school math, but most people forget that he had had to take in in French. He didn't read French.

And I never said he couldn't do math, nor that I couldn't. Only that he wasn't as good as the nitty-gritty bits of it as he was with the big picture.
Mournblade Posted - 12 Apr 2003 : 17:26:56
Well Einstein was indeed dyslexic, but in reality he was not that bad in math. He was bad in Arithmetic. Actually among scientists there is an explanation why this rumour of Einstein's poor math skills are rampant.

Scenario: A grad student is proposing his data to Einstein. ANY grad student would be nervous presenting Data to Einstein. SO the grad student is stammering and going through it fast. Einstein senses this, and tells the student, "Do you mind slowing down a bit I am a bit slow on the math..." or somthing to that effect to calm him down. Well then this grad student tells everyone the story, and so the rumour grows.

It is just a fact, in order to derive the equations necessary for Relativity, (and other theories) the man can not be bad in math. Possibly he might make mistakes like 5+5=11. But there are calculators to take care of that.

Bookwyrm Posted - 12 Apr 2003 : 14:50:01
Actually, my favorite part about Einstein is that he said he was horrible in math -- something that I have a lot of trouble with. And the stuff I'm interested in is the same stuff he was. Like Einstein, I'm great with visualizations, but when it comes to the mathematical discriptions of the same thing, I can't tell ë from è.

-----
EDIT:
That was supposed to be "lambda" and "epsilon" -- stupid forum codes . . . .
-----

Mounblade, I had forgotten about Loreena McKennit. I don't have any of her things, but I've been meaning to get some . . . my brother has the Mummer's Dance album. (I teased him about it, because he had said he hated Cetlic-type music. )

There are lots of other music types that I like that I didn't list, because I don't use them for background music. That just means I don't have them yet . . . like with many things, I've been "meaning to get" a lot of them. Like, for instance, Lord of the Rings, Wagner, Enya, Loreena McKennit . . . .

Et cetera, et cetera, et cetera . . . .
kahonen Posted - 11 Apr 2003 : 22:58:22
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

Kahonen, as one who is in fact using Disabilities support in college, I find your son to be impressive and courageous, since most people with dyslexia have it worse off than those with ADD or ADHD. And you can tell him I said so.

Thanks for that, Bookwyrm. I'll pass it on. The thing that made the difference for him was finding out that Einstein was dyslexic
Mournblade Posted - 11 Apr 2003 : 21:57:53
Bookwyrm, I am a big Celtic music and Celtic Rock enthusiast!

Some others you may want to try is the most ENCHANTING Loreena McKennit! She did the "Mummer's Dance" song. Her albums are:

Elemental
Parallel Dreams
The Mask and The Mirror
The Visit (INCREDIBLE FOR FORGOTTEN REALMS)
And the Book of secrets

Other Music I play in the background is:
Braveheart
Gladiator
ALL STAR WARS
Even Superman

Much of it depends on the mood, but I HIGHLY recommend Loreena McKennit. SHe is a musical Genius!

zemd Posted - 11 Apr 2003 : 18:01:57
I said Geography, i love History.
But thanx for the tip
eilinel Posted - 11 Apr 2003 : 14:38:06
from Zemd
quote:
I've a learnig disability for no-D&D things... I know more of FR geography than my own country!

Yep, and the worst is that its true...

You should learn more about real history, zemd, its full of ideas, some i used before. You might find the answer of the last enigma i gave u... Interesting, isn't it?

Bookwyrm Posted - 11 Apr 2003 : 06:22:45
Kahonen, as one who is in fact using Disabilities support in college, I find your son to be impressive and courageous, since most people with dyslexia have it worse off than those with ADD or ADHD. And you can tell him I said so.

And Zemd -- don't worry, I also know more of the Realms than I do of your country.

-----

Now, topic, topic . . . what was this topic? Oh, music. Okay, well, I guess I'll help move this back on track, since I think I see Alaundo over there glowering at us . . . .

I generally listen to a lot of things while reading, though sometimes I don't listen to much at all. I'm pretty eclectic (ADD again -- see, it's topical!) in most things, and so music is only one of them. However, I occasionally go looking for music to suit something in particular.

For the Forgotten Realms and fantasy, I'd tend more towards intrumentals and vocals, things with little or no lyrics. An exception to that would be lyrics in different languages -- Gaelic is a wonderful choice for that. Celtic music is a favorite of mine. I usually tend towards Irish Celic, though I'm not adverse to other regions, including the mainland. Some favorites are the CDs:

Riverdance -- I listened to this the whole way through the Menzoberranzan game; to this day, the stains of Caonineadh cú Chulainn and Shivna both evoke scenes from the Dwarven levels, while Andalucia makes me think of the areas around Menzoberranzan itself.

Celtic Journey -- Especially Magwain's Tearful Promise (though it's really too short) and Lady of the Lake.

Celtic Circles -- Especially O'er the Muir (interesting hoofbeats at the start and a male speaking in Gaelic); Love by Lough Feeagh; Óró ' Sé Do Bheatha Bhaile; and Bvachaill Ón Éirne (the last two being sung in Gaelic). Voices in this are all male.

Celtic Pride -- by the same guy who did most of the Riverdance music. Lots of pro-Irish songs; some anti-English, but all traditional ones. Really should have been called Irish Pride.

Celtic Mystique -- All lyrical songs, I believe, and all with women. Wonderful music, a mix of Scottish and Irish. My favorites are MacLeon of Glencoe (Glencoe was the site of a very bloody battle), a lament of familial and clan loss; Circle of Stone, a song about Stonehenge; Ancient Souls, about a girl who searches through many lives to find her love, the "other part of her soul" (very emotional); and a great traditional song, Homes of Donegal, which unfortunately is an abridged version.

Celtic Nights -- a collection of music influenced by Irish nights. An old favorite of mine; all done by one group, and mostly sung in Gaelic. If you see it, buy it. It's wonderful.

Christmas Celtic -- This might sound odd. It's not. This collection of Christmas songs has a unique flavor, and I play it at any time of the year. Their adaptation of We Three Kings is absolutely spectacular. I actually wrote a dance choreography to that one. Never tested it, though.

I don't stick with just CDs with "Celtic" in the title, though; other great ones are:

Any Star Wars CD, though I often skip over some tracks that are more associated with science fiction, such as the title and ending sequences.

The Stargate soundtrack, the peak of composer David Arnold's entire career; he never again matched this work. Say what you want about the movie, this music is awsome.

Native Spirit, a collection of songs influenced by Native American music, especially Navajo. Wonderful on summer days, or for making you think of them. Or maybe that's just me.

Call of the Dolphin -- all done by one guy on a synth board. Even the title song is done by him; he did wonderful mixing of his voice to overlap the lyrics, so he's even doing his own backup singing.

Dance of the Dolphin -- this one belongs to my sister, actually; I have to find my own sometime. There's one in there (she won't let me look at it, but I know it has "Nemo" in the title) that I also wrote choreography to. (It was just a simple one -- I made it with the idea of child ballet students in mind.)

Okay, those are all the reading-music CDs I've used in the past. Probably more information than Alexis was looking for.
kahonen Posted - 10 Apr 2003 : 22:00:53
quote:
Originally posted by Avaly

It might be the fact that I also have dyslexia and need to concentrate while reading. Yes, I am an English teacher and I have a learning disability. I tell my kids if I can do it and teach then they can do it as well. NO excuses.

Good for you, Avaly. Both my sons (now 17 and 20) are dyslexic and have done much to overcome the disability despite having no assistance from schools and colleges. My eldest has just started a degree in environmental science and has refused any help the university has offered. He says he's gone this far without help and isn't going to accept it now.

[My apologies, a bit off topic]
zemd Posted - 10 Apr 2003 : 12:11:28
quote:
Originally posted by Avaly

Actually, I might be one of few people who can't have anything else going on in the background while reading. I have been that way for a long time. I usually read in bed with one lamp on and a few pillows to prop me up. I like to be engrossed in the story I am reading and often get lost in it. It might be the fact that I also have dyslexia and need to concentrate while reading. Yes, I am an English teacher and I have a learning disability. I tell my kids if I can do it and teach then they can do it as well. NO excuses.

I've a learnig disability for no-D&D things... I know more of FR geography than my own country!
Bookwyrm Posted - 10 Apr 2003 : 06:23:57
I've a learning disability as well, Avaly. Clinical, "true" ADD. Not the misdiagnoses that are so common ("Oh, your child has too much youthful energy, we're putting her on Ritalin.") and caused by chemical imbalance, not psycology.

Unfortunately, they don't have anything for me to take for anything more than the mood swings (I can give a pregnant lady a run for her money on a bad day) since the Ritalin and equivients give me bad reactions.

So mystery solved, for those who wanted to know. That's the reason the Bookwyrm is so flighty.

Oo, pretty colors . . . .
Avaly Posted - 09 Apr 2003 : 23:27:00
Actually, I might be one of few people who can't have anything else going on in the background while reading. I have been that way for a long time. I usually read in bed with one lamp on and a few pillows to prop me up. I like to be engrossed in the story I am reading and often get lost in it. It might be the fact that I also have dyslexia and need to concentrate while reading. Yes, I am an English teacher and I have a learning disability. I tell my kids if I can do it and teach then they can do it as well. NO excuses.
Bookwyrm Posted - 09 Apr 2003 : 22:57:21
quote:
Originally posted by Rad

Whoah! Well he fooled me too, I also thought it was Artalis

Well, I didn't look at his name at first. It was the ending signature that caught my eye. I notice those more than names, mostly because the names are off on the side. Signatures are right along the line of text.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000