Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 What is the current status of Halaster Blackcloak

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Firhyanda Posted - 11 May 2006 : 16:11:32
Greetings

What is the current disposition of Halaster Blackcloak? As of say the current year in the realms. Is he dead in hiding on vacation in the underdark, wow I suddenly realized I lost track of him.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Wandering_mage Posted - 05 Jun 2006 : 19:20:25
Agreed. However adventurers are foolhardy and think that they will slip into the massive dungeon Halaster created and not be noticed. A mistake that many make. A mistake with dire consequences.
msatran Posted - 05 Jun 2006 : 07:44:34
Uhh...guys?

Was there ever REALLY an answer to the question "What is the current state of Halaster Blackcloak?" other than "Whatever he darned well pleases?"

He's Halaster. The mere mention of going into Undermountain should conjure up thoughts of "We are here for this wizard's entertainment and should provide as much of it as possible lest we wind up as his courtyard furniture."
Wandering_mage Posted - 31 May 2006 : 15:43:02
I totally hear you on your first statement. I read as much realmslore at work as I can. My other coworkers constantly ask what I am reading so I get to regurgitate what I've read thus completely memorizing the material. At least that is how my brain works.

I think WotC should just go ahead and put everything 2nd edition in PDF format and make it free to download. It's not like they are selling those materials anymore. Right? Enough of my off topic ranting. Wooly thanks for all your help.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 31 May 2006 : 01:57:32
quote:
Originally posted by Wandering_mage

Wooly, you are always dependable. I for one have benefited greatly from the free 2nd edition downloads at wizards. I almost have all of them printed off.

I've got all of the original print copies of that stuff, so the pdfs are just an added bonus for me -- among other things, this allows me to check them out at work!

But I wish they'd put more stuff out on the downloads page... While my own Realms collection still has a lot of gaps in it, it's still a lot more complete than what many other scribes have. Having more of the older lore available for free would certainly be of benefit to those scribes.

Admittedly, I'd like to have more of the pdfs, but it's occasionally irksome to have to tell people "oh, sorry, you can't get that one for free, so hit eBay or one of the pay-for-the-pdf sites if you really want to know about this."
Wandering_mage Posted - 31 May 2006 : 01:12:22
Wooly, you are always dependable. I for one have benefited greatly from the free 2nd edition downloads at wizards. I almost have all of them printed off.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 29 May 2006 : 21:50:00
quote:

I was also referencing the 2nd Edition resource 'The Fall of Myth Drannor'. A good read for any interested.

... Which is, of course, available for free from the Wizards downloads page.
Wandering_mage Posted - 29 May 2006 : 19:33:18
I was also referencing the 2nd Edition resource 'The Fall of Myth Drannor'. A good read for any interested.
Kuje Posted - 29 May 2006 : 16:58:19
quote:
Originally posted by Nightbreeze

quote:

You know, I just have several scattered references of Halaster to go on when considering what type of person he is. I definitely like his style in handling the Naturalist Guild of Myth Drannor. I still laugh at that to this very day. 15 years!!!!! Without ever thinking anything was wrong.

It seems i missed that event. What are speaking about?

It's in the Cormanthyr: Empire of the Elves timeline and FRCS timeline on page 269 in the year 668.
Nightbreeze Posted - 29 May 2006 : 14:01:12
quote:

You know, I just have several scattered references of Halaster to go on when considering what type of person he is. I definitely like his style in handling the Naturalist Guild of Myth Drannor. I still laugh at that to this very day. 15 years!!!!! Without ever thinking anything was wrong.

It seems i missed that event. What are speaking about?
The Sage Posted - 17 May 2006 : 06:10:37
Ed also provides some brief notes on the "current" stylings of Halaster in some of his '05 replies (there one or two in the '04 replies also).

Steven Schend also provides some "unofficial" thoughts in his compiled replies too.
Kuje Posted - 17 May 2006 : 05:44:58
quote:
Originally posted by Dhomal

Hello-

I know I am by no means 'current' in all my Realms-reading. :) I was curious what sources are the most relavent to issues of Halaster. Other than the FRCS 1/2/3 editions.

Thanks!

Dhomal

The Undermountain box sets.
Stardock adventure.
Elminster in Hell.
Dhomal Posted - 17 May 2006 : 05:24:15
Hello-

I know I am by no means 'current' in all my Realms-reading. :) I was curious what sources are the most relavent to issues of Halaster. Other than the FRCS 1/2/3 editions.

Thanks!

Dhomal
Wandering_mage Posted - 17 May 2006 : 04:19:25
The Sage Posted - 17 May 2006 : 01:20:08
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Speaking of Alignment, do you think Halaster has had a change of alignment at all. Maybe temporary periods of NG when he notices a party is about to get annihilated by a trap he didn't construct.....and then he leads them to a trap that he did construct that will destroy the party thus becoming Evil once again.

I can't see that... I think he'd be more inclined to sit back and watch, and if the trap was particularly clever, steal the design for himself. He might also, just to teach the original trapmaker a lesson, relocate the trap to catch the trapmaker.

Agreed.

Halaster would be motivated more by what *he* could glean from such a situation. Afterall, the best way to understand a particularly clever trap is to see it work!
Wooly Rupert Posted - 16 May 2006 : 17:32:54
quote:

Speaking of Alignment, do you think Halaster has had a change of alignment at all. Maybe temporary periods of NG when he notices a party is about to get annihilated by a trap he didn't construct.....and then he leads them to a trap that he did construct that will destroy the party thus becoming Evil once again.

I can't see that... I think he'd be more inclined to sit back and watch, and if the trap was particularly clever, steal the design for himself. He might also, just to teach the original trapmaker a lesson, relocate the trap to catch the trapmaker.
Wandering_mage Posted - 16 May 2006 : 14:15:25
khorne Posted - 16 May 2006 : 09:30:08
quote:

Hahahah, true Reefy. In fact I just ganked Eliminster in Hell, and the entire trilogy of the shadow of the avatar series from my little brother who is way to involved in computer games now. He didn't mind but I am still worried that my alignment might have gone down. My brother is LG after all.

Don`t worry about alignment. Mine changes all the time. I`m usually NG but sometimes I get really CE.
Wandering_mage Posted - 15 May 2006 : 15:51:47
Hahahah, true Reefy. In fact I just ganked Eliminster in Hell, and the entire trilogy of the shadow of the avatar series from my little brother who is way to involved in computer games now. He didn't mind but I am still worried that my alignment might have gone down. My brother is LG after all.
Reefy Posted - 15 May 2006 : 10:39:07
quote:

For once I can say I have that book!

And it's always nice when that happens!
Wandering_mage Posted - 14 May 2006 : 20:02:13
For once I can say I have that book!
Kaladorm Posted - 14 May 2006 : 15:02:29
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Not a problem.

If you're looking for a more in-depth account of Mystra's Chosen, I would suggest picking up a copy of the Heroes' Lorebook. It has a full section on the origins and function of Mystra's Chosen in the Realms.

Also limiting the view excusively to the Seven Sisters is the book, "The Seven Sisters" (funny coincidence huh?)
The Sage Posted - 14 May 2006 : 01:45:31
Not a problem.

If you're looking for a more in-depth account of Mystra's Chosen, I would suggest picking up a copy of the Heroes' Lorebook. It has a full section on the origins and function of Mystra's Chosen in the Realms.
Wandering_mage Posted - 14 May 2006 : 00:39:11
Thanks for clearing that up Wooly and Sage.
The Sage Posted - 13 May 2006 : 15:41:25
Indeed. Mystra's Chosen are unique characters and should be utilised as such.

Part of why they are unique is because of their role. They balance out Mystra, and store some of her power in case it's needed. They're kind of like "loyal opposition" -- they are loyal to Mystra, but they are not controlled by her, and with them having some of her power, they can act in opposition to her if she gets out of control. They are also assistants of a sort; they work to further the spread of magic, but in a pinch, they can also help to maintain the Weave.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 13 May 2006 : 14:48:48
quote:

I am of the understanding that the chosen work to spread the use of magic responsibly. They are guided by their own hearts thereafter. Am I correct in thinking this? I am totally open to correction of my interpretation.

Pretty much, yes.

But a lot of people seem to think of the Chosen as either people who throw their weight around everywhere, using their magical might to get every little thing as they desire, or as just another target, waiting for powerful PCs to come along and try to kill them. That's what I meant by most people not getting the Chosen -- I wasn't referring to anyone in particular; it's just something I've seen a lot of people do.
Wandering_mage Posted - 13 May 2006 : 02:52:10
Sorry Wooly, I was speaking from a recent experience. As a DM I brought a Chosen of Mystra (Alustriel) into my campaign for a quick cameo and one of the players wanted to kill her just to be a pain. Needless to say I was disappointed by the lack of consideration on the players part but hey you can't control everything. (Shrug) Anyways, I had to make the dangerous character docile while role-playing was done by the more experienced people.

I am of the understanding that the chosen work to spread the use of magic responsibly. They are guided by their own hearts thereafter. Am I correct in thinking this? I am totally open to correction of my interpretation.
The Sage Posted - 12 May 2006 : 13:40:55
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Steven Schend has given us a lot of info about Khelben...
Which can, of course, be found in the author/game designer compiled replies files -- see the URL in Kuje's sig.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 12 May 2006 : 13:22:12
quote:

A long time ago I realized that I would never know all I wanted to know about people like Eliminster, Khelben, and other celebrities of the realms. Although somewhat depressing it also leaves room for people to add a little bit of their own flavor during a gaming session as DM.

Steven Schend has given us a lot of info about Khelben, and we have his upcoming novel, Blackstaff, to look forward to. It comes out in July.

quote:

Although I would caution those that would use the Chosen of Mystra too liberally. Your characters might just not get the "Chosen" thing and end up losing a lot of dignity.

There's a lot of people who just don't get the point of the Chosen.
Wandering_mage Posted - 12 May 2006 : 12:59:43
A long time ago I realized that I would never know all I wanted to know about people like Eliminster, Khelben, and other celebrities of the realms. Although somewhat depressing it also leaves room for people to add a little bit of their own flavor during a gaming session as DM. Although I would caution those that would use the Chosen of Mystra too liberally. Your characters might just not get the "Chosen" thing and end up losing a lot of dignity.
Brian R. James Posted - 12 May 2006 : 04:08:32
Unless you're expecting an anthology of Elminster's disconnected memories you are not going to get the spectacle I suspect you're looking for. Only about a sixth of the novel is actually about Elminster in Hell. Just thought I'd warn you.

quote:

Well, as soon as I get done with The Temptation of Eliminster I will read Eliminster in Hell. Sounds very worthwhile. I am promised a spectacle including the Simbul, Halaster, and Eliminster. That ain't half bad.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000