Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Who's the better GM??

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Crennen FaerieBane Posted - 09 Sep 2005 : 14:43:21
Just came to mind whilst talking to Tifus, that I had a question to pose to my fellow scribes...

My wife and I run games for each other all the time - FR, Modern, our own worlds, etc. And our games are super fine-tuned for one another. However, it made me think of something? What gender is the better game master in what situation - what do you all think?

I know it's kind of hard to describe all situations, just wondering your opinion on the general matter.

C-Fb

P.s. - this is not asking who is better, it is asking based on your experiences with the such.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Alruane Posted - 18 Nov 2013 : 06:56:39
quote:
Originally posted by hashimashadoo

Every woman who has ever DM'd for me has lacked confidence though that hasn't always made the game unenjoyable.

I've only had one girlfriend who ever got in my way in terms of gaming but that was only because she turned up high to a session once. A guy who DM'd for me had a partner who caused a lot of trouble: She was always pessimistic when we played and came to be the reason why that group stopped playing. I'm also in a group at the moment with a woman who gets so distracted that she frequently delays games for over an hour.

However I can level most of those complaints and more at the male players at my tables as well. Men, for example, in general don't think through encounters as most women but when they do, they over-think them.

This is actually a good point made, for certain individuals. I've noticed things like this happening before as well. Sometimes the DM's house is where they host the campaign, and they tend to be flaky for those reasons you mentioned.
hashimashadoo Posted - 18 Nov 2013 : 05:22:53
Every woman who has ever DM'd for me has lacked confidence though that hasn't always made the game unenjoyable.

I've only had one girlfriend who ever got in my way in terms of gaming but that was only because she turned up high to a session once. A guy who DM'd for me had a partner who caused a lot of trouble: She was always pessimistic when we played and came to be the reason why that group stopped playing. I'm also in a group at the moment with a woman who gets so distracted that she frequently delays games for over an hour.

However I can level most of those complaints and more at the male players at my tables as well. Men, for example, in general don't think through encounters as most women but when they do, they over-think them.
The Arcanamach Posted - 18 Nov 2013 : 00:08:46
I voted 'Men for All Games' simply because I wanted to be a sexist pig but was a bit surprised at the high percentage that voted that way. Seriously, I don't think gender matters that much, it all depends are individual skill.
Alruane Posted - 17 Nov 2013 : 23:07:55
Men and women are good for all style of play in any situation. I've noticed it all varies on the person, not by gender.
Rollo Ruttikin Posted - 01 Apr 2008 : 23:39:30
I couldn't give an honest answer since I have never played with a woman GM in any game.

I played in a game a few years ago with eight people and fully half of those were women. Sadly the campaign didn't last. It was one of the first times I played with a big mixed group and it was pretty fun!

I have to agree that it all lies in the skill and imagination of the GM.

It shouldn't make any difference what the topic is, action, intrigue or romance.

My best friend was pretty good with the romance bits of his campaigns and he never been with a girl in his life.

Just my two coppers worth.

Rollo
Aravine Posted - 01 Apr 2008 : 17:50:18
This is not a gender issue. This is a personality issue.
Varl Posted - 31 Dec 2007 : 20:24:34
It doesn't matter to me as long as the DM has a firm grasp on his world and can take me into it.
BARDOBARBAROS Posted - 31 Dec 2007 : 17:03:58
Men for one-on-one''''s with gf/wife/ best female friend
Brynweir Posted - 13 Dec 2007 : 01:04:03
I have never had a female GM so I really can't say - except I tried it once and I stink! I'll never do that again.

I do think that women are often better at RP, as many people have said it is the attention to detail, but it also depends entirely on the particular story as well.

As for the girlfriend/ wife, my "friend" got me into gaming just to get me intersted in his hobbies, however, fourteen years later I'm still with RP and he's long gone.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 21 Nov 2007 : 20:22:15
quote:
Originally posted by GRYPHON

'Tis true that gender is not a factor in being a good GM.
I do agree with Dargoth...wives and girlfriends are the enemy of GM's.

And is the reverse also true for husbands and boyfriends?
Crennen FaerieBane Posted - 21 Nov 2007 : 19:36:20
Holy Resurrections Batman. Funny how you can look back on a post you made over two years ago and not recognize yourself. Weird.

C-Fb
Hawkins Posted - 21 Nov 2007 : 17:10:01
Other: It really depends on each GM individually, regardless of gender. I am not post this just to be PC (Politically Correct), but because this is my experience as well.
AlorinDawn Posted - 21 Nov 2007 : 15:41:48
I've unfortunately gamed once with a female GM, and only and small handfull of times. While I believe that female gamers bring a different point of view to the table, one is not better than the other, just different.
GRYPHON Posted - 21 Nov 2007 : 15:02:24
'Tis true that gender is not a factor in being a good GM.
I do agree with Dargoth...wives and girlfriends are the enemy of GM's.
Zimme Posted - 31 Oct 2006 : 12:12:01
To each his/her flavor, Nothing to do with gender, just the person who's the gm.
Delzounblood Posted - 15 Sep 2006 : 18:03:52
No he never can!!

But you get my point.
KnightErrantJR Posted - 15 Sep 2006 : 17:39:13
Just couldn't resist it, could you Wooly?
Wooly Rupert Posted - 15 Sep 2006 : 17:35:39
quote:
Originally posted by Delzounblood

The ideal game would be DM'd by the best person for the job regardless of what underware they wear...

But what if they don't wear underwear?
Delzounblood Posted - 15 Sep 2006 : 11:39:52
WHich Sex!!!

No NO NO......

The whole concept of an RPG is the RP role playing.....
All you need as mentioned by msatran is in order of importance:
A: Imagination
B: Intelligence
C: Experience
The ideal game would be DM'd by the best person for the job regardless of what underware they wear... If an in-experienced Player or wanabe DM is included in the game (new addition or player wanting to dm) the current DM should take that person under his/her wing to aid them and "Hand over" during the game and be on hand to help.

As this is a RPG ask yourself this question.

How many people play and DM the game choose to play the opposite sex? surley if you can play the opposite sex, the opposite sex can run the game!!!!!!

Personnally I have no issue or preference on the sex of my DM or Players when I DM.
Anyone can play this game from a tennager to a granny/grandad.
I bet E. Cunningham could turn her hand to DM'ing....
Ergdusch Posted - 15 Sep 2006 : 10:55:05
Voted for OTHER - reason is the gender does not matter. It is the dedication and interest the person needs to have to be a good DM - and maybe some experience in the game as well. But otherwise I could not say the one is better for the other.
Alisttair Posted - 12 Sep 2006 : 14:46:42
I've only been in male DMed games so I can't say. I've played D&D with only two females in my life...one was a friend's g/f and now my sister joined our group with her b/f.
Thureen Buroch Posted - 14 Nov 2005 : 23:11:27
I agree that it definitely depends on the skills, not the gender, of the GM. It also depends on your playing style. If you are a male, and you enjoy making crude, metagame jokes while playing, or even having your male character do some adult stuff that makes perfect sense within the game, you might be better off with a male GM. This isn't always true, though.
Kianna Posted - 21 Oct 2005 : 04:02:19
Oh by sweet Mystra no....
Crennen FaerieBane Posted - 21 Oct 2005 : 03:58:49
Should I take that as a hint, Kianna?

So long for Havran, welcome Draevin!

C-Fb
Kianna Posted - 21 Oct 2005 : 03:53:52
I am sticking to my guns, though. Females are better at small groups with intrigue and romance. Men are way way better at larger groups, running wars and epic campaigns.

Its a compliment guys. Enjoy it! :)
Crennen FaerieBane Posted - 20 Oct 2005 : 14:43:56
I agree with those three qualities being quintessential to being a good GM. And they are both within the grasp of either gender. I think education is a huge factor and it can change the whole undertone of a game. Education is a attribute most often ignored in a lot of things - but what my marketing degree taught me was that it is darn important. :)

Anyway - people love Elves with wings - what can I say? Though if I had to have wings, I'd rather be a Fey'ri.

C-Fb
msatran Posted - 20 Oct 2005 : 08:28:29
Ironically, I think it really depends on a number of outside factors.

1) Education. You may think this isn't a big deal, but by god, it sure is. A GM who has the ability to convey a wide range of differing culture and experiences, and make the game about the STORY and the interactions between the characters in RELATION to that story will always be superior, regardless of the form the story takes (Combat or Noncombat) or the interactions between genders. Male/Female/Other (Squid! Rah, Rah, Squid!)

2) Experience. The more practice a GM has, the more situations he/she/it has dealt with, and thus is prepared to create more challenging, different, and interesting encounters. By my own estimation, I'm really good, because the more situations I've created, the more I can focus on RP, and less on the numbers.

3) Creativity. The more you make your stories about PEOPLE, and not simply about MONSTERS, the more effect the game will have on your players. I've run the same Realms for 18 years, so let me tell you some of the plots I'm running right now.

Rashemen: My Rashemen game is composed of a Hathran Wanna Be, Her Bodyguard, an Avariel from Sossal, a Thoth Worshipper from Mulholrand, and a Waterdhavian Noble whose goal is "Travel to Exotic Lands, meet strange new creatures, and eat them." The villain is a rogue Vremyonni who believes that the Rashemi political system is inherently destructive to families. His alignment is Lawful Neutral. He has been making secret deals with other groups inside and outside Rashemen, including several Thayvian Wizards, to all appearances to lay Rashemen low. However, he secretly hopes to provoke a brutal war between Thay and Rashemen, while using the agents of the Hathrans (The PC's) to add fuel to his fire, and crush the Hathran political system from within...The final confrontation will be 'How can you not join me? You've seen how evil this political system is and what it causes. Nothing but death and separation."

Chessenta: This game is composed of a Paladin/Priestess of the Red Knight who is the daughter of one of the game's greatest villains, a happy go lucky monk from Turmish, an Avariel Monk (Why avariel is such a popular race I have no idea), a Gold elf mishmash who hates the Eldreth Veluuthra and is secretly trying to motivate the group to go after them, and a Great Rift Skyguard dwarf. All the characters except the dwarf are firmly convinced of one thing: Dwarf was not meant to fly. :) The villain is the priestesses teacher, who is Evil and also worships the Red Knight, who still grants him spells. He wants the priestess to join the Zhentarim, like her father did before him. :) The final confrontation will be "Can you choose between your calling and your god? Evil is stronger than good because you are here and I have made you this way."

These are but a few of the many games I run. Things aren't easy being a hero...
Wooly Rupert Posted - 07 Oct 2005 : 00:31:44
quote:
Originally posted by CrennenFaerieBane

Wooly, do you have to be mischievious in every thread you post in????

C-Fb

I have to maintain my reputation as the Master of Mischief!

Besides, I didn't make the actual comment that came to mind...
Crennen FaerieBane Posted - 06 Oct 2005 : 23:23:28
Wooly, do you have to be mischievious in every thread you post in????

C-Fb
Wooly Rupert Posted - 06 Oct 2005 : 23:13:28
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

*laughs* I'd like to think sex has nothing to do with it!

I could so get myself in trouble by taking this statement the wrong way!

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000