Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 No really . . . I need stats for a duck . . .

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
KnightErrantJR Posted - 25 Apr 2005 : 18:38:51
Its a long story . . . a player in one of my games has a duck in real life. His elf battlemage wants to find a duck and train it.

Does anyone know if any source (WOTC or d20) has stats either for a standard duck or even a dire duck.

Asking this questions really puts me in a fowl mood.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
sleyvas Posted - 21 Jul 2012 : 15:57:50
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Its the Chaos Duck of Glorantha I am truly afraid of.

I do so miss old-school Runequest.

Truly, the most interesting ducks are the tauric mallards, sailors of the great pond (or the inner sea as others call it). However, their sailor's fowl mouth has earned them a less than stellar reputation.
Markustay Posted - 21 Jul 2012 : 13:43:49
Its the Chaos Duck of Glorantha I am truly afraid of.

I do so miss old-school Runequest.
Fellfire Posted - 21 Jul 2012 : 06:51:31
quote:

Well, if you got hurt, you should have sent them the bill.

They won't pay. Bunch of tight-asses.
Fellfire Posted - 21 Jul 2012 : 06:24:03
Shrew-Lord? Hamster-Lord? Mole-Lord?
Wooly Rupert Posted - 21 Jul 2012 : 05:30:56
quote:

Anyhow, I think certain beast/animal lords would be a bit redundant in the Realms. Given the number of sentient creatures that are animal-like (in appearance), with their own deities, that would be a bit much. Although those gods could just be the beastlords operating under aliases in the Realms.

I'd not have a Beast Lord for every animal, myself, at least not in the Realms... I'd only have them for animals that are "closest" to humans. And I don't mean closest as in walking upright and being smart, or being genetically similar, I mean those animals that humanity interacts with in more than just a predator/prey relationship. Rothé? No, they're just food. Cats, dogs? Yes, those are companions. Horses? They epitomize speed and strength, so they get a Beast Lord. Wolves? We fear them and/or admire them as social hunters. Beast Lord. Falcons? Beast Lord -- they represent freedom and ferocity. Vultures? No, they're just carrion eaters. And so on.

Further, I'd use those Beast Lords as something less than a deity, but more than mortal. Maybe they are the Chosen of Lurue, Nobanion, Malar, and other appropriate deities. Maybe they are (as much as I hate to use a 4E concept) exarchs.
BEAST Posted - 21 Jul 2012 : 03:57:51
<Dire duck?>

<A demon duck.>
Markustay Posted - 21 Jul 2012 : 00:33:03
Lord Fowl... the Despiser?

I just assumed Baast was the lord of domestic cats, whereas Nobanion would be the lord of feral ones.

And then there is the Black Leopard in the east, and some jaguar-goddess (or some-such) down in zakhara, IIRC. Kiga, I think? Don't feel like looking it up...

Anyhow, I think certain beast/animal lords would be a bit redundant in the Realms. Given the number of sentient creatures that are animal-like (in appearance), with their own deities, that would be a bit much. Although those gods could just be the beastlords operating under aliases in the Realms.

Leucrotta had their own pantheon as well. And then there is Monkey.... he actually makes an appearance in Once around the Realms (with Volo).
Wooly Rupert Posted - 20 Jul 2012 : 22:19:09
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

AD&D2 had at least swans and ravens in MC. Oh, and Mystara in its MC had magpies, both common and giant variety.
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Oh, come on! No one's made jokes about the fiendish duck, the half-dragon half-duck, the shadow duck, the planar duck, or the Giant Space Duck of Ill Omen...
Ah... here goes my idea of a Fire-breathing Phase Doppleganger Giant Space Duck.

I salute you for that reference!

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Are there animal lords in the Realms? I know the Cat Lord was listed as a Oerth Epic Level character.
In Planescape, the Animal Lords (as in, Seyhrain) in general are out on the Beastlands and Cat Lord (as in, the lass who was usurping portfolio of Bast just to see if she can, weakening the latter and eventually forcing to turn into Sharess) in particular is on Brux - and they must remain there to hold their status as such. Occasional totem worship on Ao's territory is linked to proper gods (like Malar or Uthgar), so it looks like they weren't given a free pass, unlike (apparently) Elemental Lords.

Well, as mentioned before, there was a Cat Lord in the AD&D comic -- but now, we know that the comics are canon. Pretty sure there was a statement from a designer to that regard, and we've had much from the comics appear in sourcebooks and other source material -- monsters, NPCs, events, etc.

quote:

quote:

I would assume that the Duck Lord would actually be covered under a Bird Lord...
Well, they have Hawk Lord, Owl Lord, Vulture Lord and Swan Lord, so why not someone for other fowl, though they may be in Swan Lord's jurisdiction.

A Fowl Lord!
TBeholder Posted - 20 Jul 2012 : 21:50:34
AD&D2 had at least swans and ravens in MC. Oh, and Mystara in its MC had magpies, both common and giant variety.
quote:

Oh, come on! No one's made jokes about the fiendish duck, the half-dragon half-duck, the shadow duck, the planar duck, or the Giant Space Duck of Ill Omen...
Ah... here goes my idea of a Fire-breathing Phase Doppleganger Giant Space Duck.
quote:

Are there animal lords in the Realms? I know the Cat Lord was listed as a Oerth Epic Level character.
In Planescape, the Animal Lords (as in, Seyhrain) in general are out on the Beastlands and Cat Lord (as in, the lass who was usurping portfolio of Bast just to see if she can, weakening the latter and eventually forcing to turn into Sharess) in particular is on Brux - and they must remain there to hold their status as such. Occasional totem worship on Ao's territory is linked to proper gods (like Malar or Uthgar), so it looks like they weren't given a free pass, unlike (apparently) Elemental Lords.
quote:

I would assume that the Duck Lord would actually be covered under a Bird Lord...
Well, they have Hawk Lord, Owl Lord, Vulture Lord and Swan Lord, so why not someone for other fowl, though they may be in Swan Lord's jurisdiction.
Markustay Posted - 20 Jul 2012 : 03:48:05
Well, if you got hurt, you should have sent them the bill.
Fellfire Posted - 20 Jul 2012 : 01:59:16
I was scrummaging around the dusty old shelves and found this crumbly old scroll. LMAO. "You can't milk a duck." Hilarious.

On a related note, I was once attacked by a flock of rabid ducks. Vicious little buggers. Them beaks pinched like a pair of pliers and being buffeted by their wings left bruises. True story.
warlockco Posted - 01 Aug 2006 : 11:44:24
quote:

Hm, now I am seriously wondering about this.

I would assume that the Duck Lord would actually be covered under a Bird Lord . . .

Does anyone have any thoughts on the Animal Lords and the Realms?

In Planescape the Animal Lords were visitors to any of the Material Planes...
I see no reason why they couldn't visit the Realms, especially with the abundance of nature gods in the Realms.
hooper101 Posted - 10 Nov 2005 : 16:41:02
A dire goose, now that would be frightening!
Antareana Posted - 10 Nov 2005 : 16:14:38
if the dire duck is not enough for you, then maybe you could scare your friend with a Behemoth Duck. I imagine that picture of the giant Frog in one of those MMs
or a Legendary duck which is still tiny but can get really nasty ^^
hooper101 Posted - 04 Nov 2005 : 14:11:52
Wow, you know now that I come to think of it I think I will add a duck to my next Oriental Adventure mmmmmmmm! What a delicious bit of XP!
Khaa Posted - 04 Nov 2005 : 13:10:35
What if the duck had a plague like that of the Bubonic plague?
Belthor Posted - 04 Nov 2005 : 00:23:21
Would it have a better attack if it had the Duck Flew?
hooper101 Posted - 03 Nov 2005 : 21:45:43
"you should have known better than to pick up a duck in a dungeon" Munchkin curse

Seriously people ducks kill people! Look here it is ducks float because they made out of wood and if they are made out of wood than they are.........?
Thats right and here you are mocking them, I fear for your souls teasing them! I am sure a scale of justice waits for you!
Stop now turn back for these monsters are so horrible that you canno' begin to imagine 'em.
Thelonius Posted - 29 Oct 2005 : 19:53:40
Indeed this topic has caught me up, and, I think I am not gonna look at ducks as I used to from now...

An average commoner has 3 hp, that makes me feel... weak...
Wooly Rupert Posted - 29 Oct 2005 : 17:37:11
quote:
Originally posted by Amraz one arm

No what I really fear are ducks of Talona, spreading fowl diseases across fearun, nahhh the whole of toril and the inner and outer planes. I tell U. Ducks must die

That's bad... I like!

I'd forgotten about this thread. This was a fun one.
Amraz one arm Posted - 29 Oct 2005 : 11:50:23
No what I really fear are ducks of Talona, spreading fowl diseases across fearun, nahhh the whole of toril and the inner and outer planes. I tell U. Ducks must die
Kentinal Posted - 30 Apr 2005 : 07:35:33
quote:
Originally posted by Yggdrasil

a Lycanthrope, lich, zombie duck would be interesting.

Err zombie and lich are both undead, so one should choose one or the other.
Yggdrasil Posted - 30 Apr 2005 : 07:00:14
a Lycanthrope, lich, zombie duck would be interesting.
Kajehase Posted - 30 Apr 2005 : 05:37:19
quote:
Originally posted by Melfius

quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

How 'bout a pirate duck?
tp://ackegard.com/gallery//adventurers/duck_pirate

And what would win - a pirate duck or a ninja duck?

At this point, the only thing we can say for sure is that they would hate each other immensly. Everyone knows that pirates and ninjas hate each other.

And of course, that neither would stand a chance against viking ducks
Kentinal Posted - 29 Apr 2005 : 20:28:10
quote:

Let's be honest, here: Dire or not, a duck is still a duck and not likely to be formidable in any arena.

At least make it CR 1 *wink*

Your design and overall not all that bad.
Melfius Posted - 29 Apr 2005 : 20:16:41
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

quote:

Because you asked for it:

DIRE DUCK
Small Animal
Hit Dice: 1d8 (4 hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 15 ft. (2 squares), fly 35 ft. (average), swim 35 ft.
Armor Class: 17 (+2 size, +1 Dex, +4 natural), touch 13, flat-footed 16
Base Attack/Grapple: +0/-11
Attack: Beak +2 melee (1d4-1)
Full Attack: Beak +2 melee (1d4-1)

Hmm, Dire Duck might be small in size, one reason an animal can Dire is because of larger size. I also think the HD should be a little higher and beak attack do more damage.

Just a few ideas to consider.

Let's be honest, here: Dire or not, a duck is still a duck and not likely to be formidable in any arena.
Melfius Posted - 29 Apr 2005 : 20:15:32
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

How 'bout a pirate duck?

At this point, the only thing we can say for sure is that they would hate each other immensly. Everyone knows that pirates and ninjas hate each other.
Melfius Posted - 29 Apr 2005 : 20:13:04
quote:

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by tauster

quote:

Okay, only because I was bored at work today:

DUCK
Tiny Animal
Hit Dice: 1d8 (3 hp)

i have not the faintest idea of how hitpoints "work" in 3.x, but in 2nd edition, 3 hp was what the average commoner had. based on that, i´d "give" the duck 1 hp, not more.
...unless it´s a templated duck... *jumps for cover*
btw: is there a template for "fried"?

Yes, that was 2nd Edition. In 3rd Edition, the average bird (so I saw in the Monster Manual) has about 4.

Does that include unladen swallows?

Which do you mean: African or European?
Kentinal Posted - 29 Apr 2005 : 18:01:23
quote:

Because you asked for it:

DIRE DUCK
Small Animal
Hit Dice: 1d8 (4 hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 15 ft. (2 squares), fly 35 ft. (average), swim 35 ft.
Armor Class: 17 (+2 size, +1 Dex, +4 natural), touch 13, flat-footed 16
Base Attack/Grapple: +0/-11
Attack: Beak +2 melee (1d4-1)
Full Attack: Beak +2 melee (1d4-1)

Hmm, Dire Duck might be small in size, one reason an animal can Dire is because of larger size. I also think the HD should be a little higher and beak attack do more damage.

Just a few ideas to consider.
Kajehase Posted - 29 Apr 2005 : 17:47:40
How 'bout a pirate duck?

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000