Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 New Psionics?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Mystery_Man Posted - 04 Jun 2004 : 15:19:33
What would you do?

I'm running my FR campaign using the 3.5 rules with no psionics. I've never liked them much and with the 3rd edition rules I liked them even less. I've pretty much banned them from my game but with the new psionics book I'm wondering if anyone has used it and would you recommend it for Realms usage?
19   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
MerrikCale Posted - 05 Jun 2007 : 02:21:47
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by EytanBernstein

As far as I'm aware, the term "Invisible Artist" doesn't exist, so that limits choices to mind mage or the actual name of the class (psychic warrior, psion, and the other classes).

You could always borrow a B5 term -- mindwalker.

As I recall... the term "mind-wizard" was also used in some of the B5 RPG books, apparently taken from JMS's own notebooks.

'Mind-wizard' could work alongside 'mind mage.'

mind mage has a better ring to it
The Sage Posted - 02 Jun 2007 : 00:54:04
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

As far as I'm aware, the term "Invisible Artist" doesn't exist, so that limits choices to mind mage or the actual name of the class (psychic warrior, psion, and the other classes).

As I recall... the term "mind-wizard" was also used in some of the B5 RPG books, apparently taken from JMS's own notebooks.

'Mind-wizard' could work alongside 'mind mage.'
warlockco Posted - 01 Jun 2007 : 23:58:51
I think Darksun, called it the Unseen Way.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 01 Jun 2007 : 18:23:55
quote:

The Sage Posted - 01 Jun 2007 : 14:41:26
quote:

Also, as to Lisa's writing, one thing you should recall is that it doesn't sound good to the ear to use the same term repeatedly. In a book filled with mind mages, the author has to use a variety of terms to keep the writing fresh and not sounding redundant. For that reason, authors use psionics, mind magic, and the Invisible Art. As far as I'm aware, the term "Invisible Artist" doesn't exist, so that limits choices to mind mage or the actual name of the class (psychic warrior, psion, and the other classes).
The specific references to "psionics" in Lisa's trilogy were indeed used rather sparingly, with other terms like "mind mage" and "mind magic" being used to describe the Invisible Art at other times.

I also recall the term "psion" being used as well.
EytanBernstein Posted - 01 Jun 2007 : 11:11:14
I do mention both of the terms that are frequently used in Realms literature, but only to say that those are what people in the Realms would most likely use when discussing psionics. However, it's important to point out the difference between a discussion of the Realms from a design and academic/historical perspective and the usage of people in the Realms. There are numerous words that appear in Realms articles that characters would never know, but are necessary in creating a piece of writing that makes sense and is readable. This article is far to long to call psionics "mind magic" or "the Invisible art" every time the term comes up.

Also, as to Lisa's writing, one thing you should recall is that it doesn't sound good to the ear to use the same term repeatedly. In a book filled with mind mages, the author has to use a variety of terms to keep the writing fresh and not sounding redundant. For that reason, authors use psionics, mind magic, and the Invisible Art. As far as I'm aware, the term "Invisible Artist" doesn't exist, so that limits choices to mind mage or the actual name of the class (psychic warrior, psion, and the other classes).
Skeptic Posted - 01 Jun 2007 : 03:19:10
quote:
Originally posted by Brian R. James

the Invisible Art?

Well under 3.x rules, Invisible needs a concentration check
The Sage Posted - 01 Jun 2007 : 02:08:17
I also don't mind Lisa Smedman's use of the term 'mind magic' in her "House of Serpents" trilogy. Though she does use 'psionic' and 'psionics' at times, as well, which did tend to make me cringe a little every time I read them.
The Sage Posted - 01 Jun 2007 : 01:54:55
That'd be it.

Which is also the term I prefer for psionics in my Realms campaigns.
Brian R. James Posted - 01 Jun 2007 : 01:35:27
the Invisible Art?
Faraer Posted - 01 Jun 2007 : 00:51:10
I trust you called psionics what it's called in the Realms, as Player's Guide to Faerūn conspicuously didn't.
EytanBernstein Posted - 31 May 2007 : 23:41:17
It's important to note that much of the material is based on existing Realms psionics lore. Of course there wasn't anything on Complete Psionics classes in Realms literature, but there was plenty in previous editions on psionicists, psionic monsters and races, and psionic characters. I hope this entry will help people who feel that there just isn't enough lore for them to do anything with psionics.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 31 May 2007 : 21:04:58
That sounds quite interesting... And it's nice to see psionics get some more Realms-love.
Ayunken-vanzan Posted - 31 May 2007 : 20:36:23
This is great news, I am definitely thrilled, and I am looking forward to this new installment.
EytanBernstein Posted - 31 May 2007 : 20:25:38
Pretty much all that you are asking will be covered in an absolutely gargantuan entry of Class Chronicles coming up relatively soon (in the next month or so I believe). It's the largest entry I've written so far because it's one of the more complex and misunderstood subjects.
Gwaeren Tiliano Posted - 31 May 2007 : 18:12:49
When i looked in my "Player's Guide to Faerun", it said that psionics works in dead magic zones, since the energy to create psionic effects is drawn from the psion's body and mind, not the Weave. So does a psionic item work in dead magic zones?
The Ruby Sorceror Posted - 09 Jun 2004 : 21:28:56
By Default, SR does stop psionics since you use magic transperancy, things that stop magic more or less stop psionics.
Mystery_Man Posted - 07 Jun 2004 : 13:35:48
My dislikes are purely mechanical ones. Using 3.5 rules and from what I understand SR does not stop psionics? Things like that are sort of unfair for the rest of the players I think.

What would help me is if you told me why you like them. :)
The Sage Posted - 05 Jun 2004 : 04:35:15
Well, I've always used psionics in my FR campaigns, whether it be a GURPS converted system, the 2e Complete Psionics Handbook, or any of the two 3e tomes detailing psionics. I've also used Cordell's 'Malhavoc Press' accessory Mindscapes from time to time.

As for the XPsiHB's Realms usage... that really all depends on whether the DM allows high-psionic campaigns, low-psionic campaign, or in the rare event, both. The ruleset is tailored for all three options.

These discussions always interest me though, so can you please tell me why you dislike the usage of psionics...?

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000