Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 New Psionics?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mystery_Man
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2004 :  15:19:33  Show Profile  Visit Mystery_Man's Homepage Send Mystery_Man a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
What would you do?

I'm running my FR campaign using the 3.5 rules with no psionics. I've never liked them much and with the 3rd edition rules I liked them even less. I've pretty much banned them from my game but with the new psionics book I'm wondering if anyone has used it and would you recommend it for Realms usage?

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2004 :  04:35:15  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I've always used psionics in my FR campaigns, whether it be a GURPS converted system, the 2e Complete Psionics Handbook, or any of the two 3e tomes detailing psionics. I've also used Cordell's 'Malhavoc Press' accessory Mindscapes from time to time.

As for the XPsiHB's Realms usage... that really all depends on whether the DM allows high-psionic campaigns, low-psionic campaign, or in the rare event, both. The ruleset is tailored for all three options.

These discussions always interest me though, so can you please tell me why you dislike the usage of psionics...?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Mystery_Man
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2004 :  13:35:48  Show Profile  Visit Mystery_Man's Homepage Send Mystery_Man a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My dislikes are purely mechanical ones. Using 3.5 rules and from what I understand SR does not stop psionics? Things like that are sort of unfair for the rest of the players I think.

What would help me is if you told me why you like them. :)
Go to Top of Page

The Ruby Sorceror
Acolyte

2 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2004 :  21:28:56  Show Profile  Visit The Ruby Sorceror's Homepage Send The Ruby Sorceror a Private Message  Reply with Quote
By Default, SR does stop psionics since you use magic transperancy, things that stop magic more or less stop psionics.

Edited by - The Ruby Sorceror on 09 Jun 2004 21:29:32
Go to Top of Page

Gwaeren Tiliano
Acolyte

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2007 :  18:12:49  Show Profile  Visit Gwaeren Tiliano's Homepage Send Gwaeren Tiliano a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When i looked in my "Player's Guide to Faerun", it said that psionics works in dead magic zones, since the energy to create psionic effects is drawn from the psion's body and mind, not the Weave. So does a psionic item work in dead magic zones?
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2007 :  20:25:38  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pretty much all that you are asking will be covered in an absolutely gargantuan entry of Class Chronicles coming up relatively soon (in the next month or so I believe). It's the largest entry I've written so far because it's one of the more complex and misunderstood subjects.

http://eytanbernstein.com - the official website of Eytan Bernstein
Go to Top of Page

Ayunken-vanzan
Senior Scribe

Germany
657 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2007 :  20:36:23  Show Profile  Visit Ayunken-vanzan's Homepage Send Ayunken-vanzan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is great news, I am definitely thrilled, and I am looking forward to this new installment.

"What mattered our lives now? When our world had been torn from us? Folk wept, or drank, or stood staring out over the land, wondering what new horror each dawn would bring."
Elender Stormfall of Suzail

"Anyone can kill deities, cause plagues, or destroy organizations. It takes real skill to make them live on."
Varl

FR/D&D-Links • 2ed Downloads
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2007 :  21:04:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That sounds quite interesting... And it's nice to see psionics get some more Realms-love.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2007 :  23:41:17  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's important to note that much of the material is based on existing Realms psionics lore. Of course there wasn't anything on Complete Psionics classes in Realms literature, but there was plenty in previous editions on psionicists, psionic monsters and races, and psionic characters. I hope this entry will help people who feel that there just isn't enough lore for them to do anything with psionics.

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2007 :  00:51:10  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I trust you called psionics what it's called in the Realms, as Player's Guide to Faerūn conspicuously didn't.
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2007 :  01:35:27  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
the Invisible Art?

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2007 :  01:54:55  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That'd be it.

Which is also the term I prefer for psionics in my Realms campaigns.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2007 :  02:08:17  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I also don't mind Lisa Smedman's use of the term 'mind magic' in her "House of Serpents" trilogy. Though she does use 'psionic' and 'psionics' at times, as well, which did tend to make me cringe a little every time I read them.

Edited by - The Sage on 01 Jun 2007 02:09:53
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2007 :  03:19:10  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brian R. James

the Invisible Art?

Well under 3.x rules, Invisible needs a concentration check
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2007 :  11:11:14  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do mention both of the terms that are frequently used in Realms literature, but only to say that those are what people in the Realms would most likely use when discussing psionics. However, it's important to point out the difference between a discussion of the Realms from a design and academic/historical perspective and the usage of people in the Realms. There are numerous words that appear in Realms articles that characters would never know, but are necessary in creating a piece of writing that makes sense and is readable. This article is far to long to call psionics "mind magic" or "the Invisible art" every time the term comes up.

Also, as to Lisa's writing, one thing you should recall is that it doesn't sound good to the ear to use the same term repeatedly. In a book filled with mind mages, the author has to use a variety of terms to keep the writing fresh and not sounding redundant. For that reason, authors use psionics, mind magic, and the Invisible Art. As far as I'm aware, the term "Invisible Artist" doesn't exist, so that limits choices to mind mage or the actual name of the class (psychic warrior, psion, and the other classes).

Edited by - EytanBernstein on 01 Jun 2007 11:12:59
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2007 :  14:41:26  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by EytanBernstein

Also, as to Lisa's writing, one thing you should recall is that it doesn't sound good to the ear to use the same term repeatedly. In a book filled with mind mages, the author has to use a variety of terms to keep the writing fresh and not sounding redundant. For that reason, authors use psionics, mind magic, and the Invisible Art. As far as I'm aware, the term "Invisible Artist" doesn't exist, so that limits choices to mind mage or the actual name of the class (psychic warrior, psion, and the other classes).
The specific references to "psionics" in Lisa's trilogy were indeed used rather sparingly, with other terms like "mind mage" and "mind magic" being used to describe the Invisible Art at other times.

I also recall the term "psion" being used as well.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2007 :  18:23:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

As far as I'm aware, the term "Invisible Artist" doesn't exist, so that limits choices to mind mage or the actual name of the class (psychic warrior, psion, and the other classes).

You could always borrow a B5 term -- mindwalker.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2007 :  23:58:51  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think Darksun, called it the Unseen Way.

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2007 :  00:54:04  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

As far as I'm aware, the term "Invisible Artist" doesn't exist, so that limits choices to mind mage or the actual name of the class (psychic warrior, psion, and the other classes).

As I recall... the term "mind-wizard" was also used in some of the B5 RPG books, apparently taken from JMS's own notebooks.

'Mind-wizard' could work alongside 'mind mage.'

Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2007 :  02:21:47  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

As I recall... the term "mind-wizard" was also used in some of the B5 RPG books, apparently taken from JMS's own notebooks.

'Mind-wizard' could work alongside 'mind mage.'

mind mage has a better ring to it

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000