Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Time travel

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Aravine Posted - 05 Aug 2012 : 02:27:39
is there anyway a very powerful npc might be able to time travel? just thinking how interesting that would be
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Xar Zarath Posted - 22 Nov 2012 : 03:34:22
Alternatively, you could cast scry spells and empty the llower planes of info on the Doctor and steal his blue box!
The Arcanamach Posted - 21 Nov 2012 : 16:27:45
quote:
Interesting yes, but it would also be a pain because of the Butterfly Effect. I never used it in my campaigns for that reason.

It could be a pain if you allow it to happen (changing the timeline that is). In my homebrew campaign the Arcanamach is a time travelling NPC named Xarthalion. His story is sort of a Quantum Leap derivative in which he is thrust into past and future situations after coming into contact with an item called the Orb of Labelas. In some ways, he is my version of Elminster.
Yospeck Posted - 18 Nov 2012 : 15:39:23
You're the DM... it's my opinion you can make up whatever you like, even if not established already in FR.

Chris Perkins mentions a few times in his Iomandra campaign about giving his part an hourglass which gives them a one time use to go back in time for a little while before being flung back into the future to see what their changes have done.
Dalor Darden Posted - 27 Oct 2012 : 00:13:52
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

Some of Hallister's gates in Undermountain will move you forward in time, in addition to sending you somewhere. So it stands to reason that Hallister is at least vaguely familiar with time travel. Whether that's something he developed on his own, or brought with him from Imaskar is open to debate, as is just how much he knows. Could he send someone backward in time as well as forward, is there a limit to how far forward, and if he has to do it with a gate are all unknowable questions.

I always felt that instead of sending people forward in time, they were instead placed in Stasis until a certain time...that was my own take on the matter though.
Hoondatha Posted - 26 Oct 2012 : 19:41:47
Some of Hallister's gates in Undermountain will move you forward in time, in addition to sending you somewhere. So it stands to reason that Hallister is at least vaguely familiar with time travel. Whether that's something he developed on his own, or brought with him from Imaskar is open to debate, as is just how much he knows. Could he send someone backward in time as well as forward, is there a limit to how far forward, and if he has to do it with a gate are all unknowable questions.
Artemas Entreri Posted - 26 Oct 2012 : 15:59:48
quote:
Originally posted by Aravine

is there anyway a very powerful npc might be able to time travel? just thinking how interesting that would be

Interesting yes, but it would also be a pain because of the Butterfly Effect. I never used it in my campaigns for that reason.
Zireael Posted - 26 Oct 2012 : 15:10:55
Anything else on the topic?
Thrasymachus Posted - 10 Aug 2012 : 01:37:08
At the Wizards site search "Perilous Gateways" archive and you will find "Portals in Time".
Darkmeer Posted - 06 Aug 2012 : 04:03:19
The 3e the Manual of the Planes was a great resource, using the Temporal Energy Plane (one of the alternate planes), on pages 208-210 in that tome.

Hope this helps.
Markustay Posted - 05 Aug 2012 : 05:59:06
There's also the 2e supplement The Chronomancer, with very detailed rules for time travel and the plane of Temporal Prime.

There also at least three 'time portals' in FR that I can think of right off the top of my head (El's Gate to Yellowstone, the isle of Lurath, and Umberlee's Fist). I vaguely recall a forth in the Osraun Mts. IIRC (and I am sure there are plenty more).
Thrasymachus Posted - 05 Aug 2012 : 05:02:24
Yes, the following are both from the Arcane Age series
TSR 1147 - Netheril - Empire of Magic boxed set - pg 13
TSR 1165 - Cormanthyr - Empire of Elves – pg 3
Both of these detail the 9th level Time Conduit spell, and discuss Time Gates

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000