Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Potion rules

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Jakuta Khan Posted - 24 Dec 2011 : 13:20:21
Hi there,

as far as I know, any 3rd lvl spell, except the ones with range "personal", canbe made into potions, correct?
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Jakuta Khan Posted - 28 Dec 2011 : 11:22:03
ok, noted for repeated questioning.

I am way not overly familiar with all these other forums - but sometimes just asking google helps - forget this way too often.

also agree other pots r also quite powerful.

just made me think a bit....

thx for the input again ;)
Ayrik Posted - 28 Dec 2011 : 10:11:38
Hm, well if you're going to literally parse the written text of the ice axe spell, then the wielder is "automatically proficient" with the axe and gains his base attack bonus and multiple attacks. The wielder therefore does not gain attack bonus or multiple attacks better than "proficient" regardless of how specialized and kickass he might be with normal battle axes. Again, this is not an actual battle axe and is only a magical effect formed as "a virtually weightless battle axe shaped weapon which cannot be disarmed". Duration is sufficient to allow a second casting of this spell, so it could be possible to simultaneously wield two ice axes (and therefore gain an extra attack each round), unless (at the DM's discretion) the somatic casting component requires the use of both (empty) hands; even so, this restriction wouldn't apply to potions.

Agreed, doing 2d12+1/lvl (+10 max) damage and ignoring armor is better than any normal melee weapon. But this is a spell so it has limits on how often it can be used; in potion format it is also costly to produce and "cast" at a limited level. It's not particularly imbalancing compared against the potential damage output of other potions (like speed, fiery breath, heroism, or giant strength).

Your question has been asked and answered many times before.

You might require the potion loses potency if not kept refrigerated.
Jakuta Khan Posted - 28 Dec 2011 : 09:27:49
i do agree, ayrik.

but in the spell descirption it says, it creates an axe of ice, allowing all bonuses etc.etc. and also allowing multiple attacks if char has.

only thing, no str bonus.

so, ruleswise it couldbe as you stated, using a pair of them etc.etc. and the minus four for two big weps does not disturb when no armor counts....

i will very much likelly do as you stated, though, to limit it down a bit.

p.s. but if you have runes for three times daily or similar attached to bracers, how cool would this look???

also singular one, with fire, acid or poison would simply rule lookwise ;)
Ayrik Posted - 28 Dec 2011 : 09:04:43
It is technically within the rules, as written. I would personally disallow it, or perhaps adjust the spell effect, or require some exotic alchemical components, since I think the rule was not strictly intended to include "Range: Touch" spells of this sort. But it is an unusual and interesting basis for establishing a character's "signature" attack.

From a mechanical perspective, I don't see it as overbalanced, 2d12 damage which ignores armor but still allows spell resistance.

I don't see how you're getting 3 attacks per round with it. As I said above, it's not actually a battle axe, it's just a spell which happens to manifest in the physical shape of a battle axe; it could just as easily be shaped as something else. It's basically a touch-attack spell which does 2d12 damage, it's not a temporary magical weapon which can benefit from all the wielder's skills and bonuses with battle axes. So no bonus to attack, no bonus damage, no multiple attacks, no pair of ice axes wielded in each hand. At least that would be my ruling, other opinions might differ.
Jakuta Khan Posted - 28 Dec 2011 : 07:26:12
@ayeik, i also like the spell alot, and have built a nice warrior-priest / warpriest path with it, but the core question was, with range 0 and not personal, it is possible to create potions, which could give a slight imbalance.

personal thoughts here....

rules side clear, thanks guys so far.
Ayrik Posted - 26 Dec 2011 : 15:32:58
A potion which creates a weightless battle axe made of swirling frost and ice shards? It seems technically possible, and pretty cool (pun), yet also very strange.

I suppose it might be better to abstract the spell function a little: it's basically an evocation much like any other touch-melee sort of spell (shocking grasp, chill touch, vampiric touch, etc) ... it just happens to be shaped like a battle axe. It could just as easily take the form of an iceblade or frostwhip, an icy glare, arctic breath, or an aura of dripping cold surrounding the drinker's fist.
Jakuta Khan Posted - 26 Dec 2011 : 15:11:38
well, an example to me is the "ice axe spell"

3rd lvl cleric, got it from spell compendium, do not know where from original.

with changing energy-type, it wouldbe lvl 4 spell.

gives the target ( range 0 feet ) 2d12 damage axe of ice which IGNORES armor.

so, a level six fighter-type, hasted could have 3 2d12 attacks in one round - bit tough....

but just a basic example, sure there couldbe worse things around.
stoneskin potions for example...
Kilvan Posted - 25 Dec 2011 : 18:53:00
Potions of Heal (the level 6 spell) are common in my high-level games, takes some pressure off the party's healer during rough encounters. I never had to really enforce any rule regarding potion creation since none of my players ever felt the need to waste exp to create anything they could simply buy instead (of find in some loot).

I'm sure things could get crazy without that rule, though I've never done the exercice to find out how.
Kentinal Posted - 25 Dec 2011 : 18:25:17
quote:
You can create a potion of any 3rd-level or lower spell that you know and that targets one or more creatures.
does appear to be potion limit, however making an Elixir (which also is drank) can have higher level spell effect.
Jakuta Khan Posted - 25 Dec 2011 : 15:29:48
Kentinal Posted - 24 Dec 2011 : 22:58:20
Edition version?

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000