Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Aesperus

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Rhewtani Posted - 11 Jan 2011 : 22:39:25
So, I'm reading the back of Swordmage by Rich Baker and it speaks of Aesperus as a fearsome necromancer who ruled over the Moonsea hundreds of years ago, and survives as an undead lich who commands the dead of the barrowfields as his slaves.

In Moonsea, he was a wizard who fell in a hole during an attack and got buried with the dead, which caused him to rise as a lich.

So ... um?
21   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Rhewtani Posted - 24 Jan 2011 : 15:57:24
Well, I'm not even complaining if it is a retcon. Especially, since the Moonsea supplement has plenty of the marks fo the whole unreliable narrator concept to it. I'm just trying to figure out exactly what happened. In Moonsea he was a nobody who became a lich and was building an army of undead. If he did all his noteworthy necromancing and built his reputation in the lag time between 3e and 4e, then it makes perfect sense.

If, on the other hand, according to 4e he was always a super amazing necromancer who once ruled all of the Moonsea (pre 1350), I need to know for an adventure I'm running in 1350. that's all I'm saying. :)
Brimstone Posted - 23 Jan 2011 : 05:18:46
The "Wailing Years" only lasted about 10 years.
The Sage Posted - 23 Jan 2011 : 01:14:11
Okay, we're falling away from discussion of the actual topic. Let's get back there, eh?
Christopher_Rowe Posted - 23 Jan 2011 : 00:15:34
I suppose it does fit most definitions of "retcon," but hopefully Realms designers and authors will continue to be able to take small or undeveloped details from older lore and expand upon them, which is kind of what this seems like to me.

Cheers,

Christopher
Wooly Rupert Posted - 23 Jan 2011 : 00:06:35
I dunno... No prior indication that the guy had any kind of prominence, and then suddenly he had noteworthy past prominence... It sounds like a retcon to me.

I think if the guy had been more prominent originally, we'd've heard about it. And it's not like we've not had retcons before.
Erdrick Stormedge Posted - 22 Jan 2011 : 22:51:56
The Wailing Years begin with the Year of Blue Fire, and end with the Year of the Ageless one.
No 'ret-con' has ocurred.
2e material was obviously mined for 4e content.
Rhewtani Posted - 22 Jan 2011 : 15:00:28
My mistake. I meant to ask what years the wailing years encompassed.
The Sage Posted - 22 Jan 2011 : 00:50:41
quote:
Originally posted by Rhewtani

What year is the year of the ageless ones? Are we saying aesperus raised his army after 1357 and it was put down before 1400s?

You mean 1479 DR?
Brimstone Posted - 22 Jan 2011 : 00:35:49
Rhewtani Posted - 21 Jan 2011 : 23:51:44
What year is the year of the ageless ones? Are we saying aesperus raised his army after 1357 and it was put down before 1400s?
Erdrick Stormedge Posted - 21 Jan 2011 : 22:45:40
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Erdrick Stormedge

quote:

So, I'm reading the back of Swordmage by Rich Baker and it speaks of Aesperus as a fearsome necromancer who ruled over the Moonsea hundreds of years ago, and survives as an undead lich who commands the dead of the barrowfields as his slaves.

In Moonsea, he was a wizard who fell in a hole during an attack and got buried with the dead, which caused him to rise as a lich.

So ... um?

There 'tis no discrepancy, or 'ret-con' as ye put it. Why dost thou think that these two accounts are different?

The fact that it sounds like two different liches, and yet they have the same name, makes it seem like a ret-con.

Perhaps.

Though the Lich-Under-Hulburg rose to great power during the Wailing Years. By the Year of the Ageless One, Aespurus was renowned as lord of necromancy, with legions from the barrowfields at his command.

Sage Baker's tale of the Lich continues thence...
Wooly Rupert Posted - 21 Jan 2011 : 22:19:03
quote:
Originally posted by Erdrick Stormedge

quote:

So ... um?

There 'tis no discrepancy, or 'ret-con' as ye put it. Why dost thou think that these two accounts are different?

The fact that it sounds like two different liches, and yet they have the same name, makes it seem like a ret-con.
Erdrick Stormedge Posted - 21 Jan 2011 : 21:13:15
quote:

So ... um?

Rhewtani Posted - 21 Jan 2011 : 17:42:08
So, we don't have an easy way to check with Baker as to what retconning he was doing, I guess.
Alisttair Posted - 18 Jan 2011 : 15:39:38
quote:

Alistair, that's where I picked up that he wasn't originally a necromancer who ruled over the moonsea.

I just re-read your original post. I see the mistake I made .
Rhewtani Posted - 18 Jan 2011 : 15:28:30
Alistair, that's where I picked up that he wasn't originally a necromancer who ruled over the moonsea.
Alisttair Posted - 18 Jan 2011 : 14:06:03
Information about Aesperus can be found in the 2E Moonsea product I believe (he wasn't originally created for Rich's novels).
Rhewtani Posted - 17 Jan 2011 : 14:29:15
quote:
Originally posted by Arik

You might want to ask Rich Baker. Interesting question, another lich/necromancer in the Moonsea that I didn't know about.

Yeah, if you're in the moonsea and you suddenly trip on something ... Look down, it's probably a lich.
Brimstone Posted - 17 Jan 2011 : 03:36:20
Those thread were closed on the WotC site due to inactivity.
The Sage Posted - 17 Jan 2011 : 01:13:25
Just remember, that you'll need to ask over on the Wizards boards. Rich has noted in the past, that he simply doesn't have the time, any more, to devote to answering questions across multiple sites -- including Candlekeep, which is why his scroll here has largely fallen silent.
Ayrik Posted - 16 Jan 2011 : 16:28:39
You might want to ask Rich Baker. Interesting question, another lich/necromancer in the Moonsea that I didn't know about.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000