Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Gaming Snacks

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Arion Elenim Posted - 16 Oct 2003 : 06:18:10
What is the favorite gaming snack of your table?

For my gamers, it tends to be something called "peachies"...little circular candy things that are entirely too sweet for my taste...

I like a bottle of Merlot and a whole box of Bavarian pretzels....gets the blood flowing just thinking of it!!!
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Reefy Posted - 17 May 2004 : 17:34:44
For us, the only snacks we tend to have are biscuits and sometimes crisps. I try to keep the food out of the way and have it mostly eaten at lunch time. Praise Selūne that we no longer have the inevitable Bombay mix, as was customary in the first campaign I ever played in...
As for drinks, it's mostly water or BFGs (big fat glasses of squash) but again, I've seen too many accidents to try and keep them away from the gaming table, or floor, as that's what we usually use. I've never tried introducing alocohol because not only do I think it to be a bad idea, most of my players aren't old enough to drink it.
Bookwyrm Posted - 16 May 2004 : 05:54:08
quote:
Originally posted by Elrond Half Elven

I'm afraid that we disagree on several points here. Firstly I feel that coffee and Tea are integral parts of gaming. 3 Players in my group drink tea the other 7 of us drink coffee... yes 7 of us.

Just because 70% of a population agrees with something doesn't mean it's true or right.
Elrond Half Elven Posted - 16 May 2004 : 00:06:13
Ah Sage Bookie, and others *shakes head*

I'm afraid that we disagree on several points here. Firstly I feel that coffee and Tea are integral parts of gaming. 3 Players in my group drink tea the other 7 of us drink coffee... yes 7 of us.

Secondly Alcohol is not as bad as it seems. People should remember that it is a minority of people that get violent while under the influence and these give a bad name to the others. Please also remember there are various stage of being drunk. The best fun is when a person hovers around the 'tipsy' stage, where they have gained confidence but still retain most of their morals.

Thirdly Alcohol and D&D don't not go together (The use of a double negative). Alcohol, believe it or not, can be drunk in moderation. Like any other drink there is often a nice taste to alcohol, again even after a one drink its drinker is not as tense. Alcohol, like anything is health in moderation (Disclamer: I do not use health in the meaning that alcohol is good for you body, but rather it can be good for a persons soul- in moderation). For example last gaming session i took 6 beers with me, i had 2, another player had 2 and two others had one. We still enjoyed a good session. Alcohol and D&D is fine. Getting Drunk or even tipsy and D&D is not. It ends in disaster.

Ok sorry about the rant.

Hanx

Elrond
The Sage Posted - 15 May 2004 : 11:08:01
Yes, I remember .

I should point out that I was talking about the absence of alcoholic beverages only. It would be extremely difficult to prevent all "alcohol"-based products from being kept within the house, as there are some items which have useful applications.
Bookwyrm Posted - 15 May 2004 : 10:23:11
The strangely harsh thing was when I thought you meant that no alcohol products made it into your house. I'm never in favor of drinking them straight at all -- remember, they make me ill. I just found, considering how many things are made with alcohol, it to be somewhat odd to have a zero-tolerance policy of that sort. (Not that I generally agree with any ZTP, usually.)
The Sage Posted - 15 May 2004 : 08:46:45
quote:
Originally posted by Brother Ezra
One of the axiomatic sayings that resulted from one such gaming session, and which I repeat again and again, is "Don't drink and roleplay. The character you kill may be your own."

There's probably going to be only one or two scribes here who actually understand the private joke I'm about to utter, but I just couldn't resist... Sorry...

Brother Ezra, Ahpla the Rogue Modron would be proud...
Brother Ezra Posted - 14 May 2004 : 20:00:48
I also don't allow alcohol at my gaming table. I've never really had liquor add anything worthwhile to a gaming experience, and have seen it inebriate players to the point where they begin to act out of character and take stupid risks that normally result in someone's death. One of the axiomatic sayings that resulted from one such gaming session, and which I repeat again and again, is "Don't drink and roleplay. The character you kill may be your own."

On the other hand, there's coffee. Essential. Mother's milk. Life's blood. Nectar of the gods and ambrosia of discerning DM's across the world. I couldn't handle a session longer than 4 hours without it.
Wood Elf Ranger Posted - 14 May 2004 : 15:02:00
I was very pleasantly surprised when I read the recent updates here I know most of us are fairly young but it gives me hope when I hear a few other people who agree with my views on beer and getting drunk. Horrible stuff

I don't like coffee either besides the fact that I don't like the way it smells or tastes I've seen quite a few of my friends addicted to it where they HAVE to have it or they get headaches. That is not cool all addictive substances are out in my book.

So drinks for me... milk, tea, juice, and the occasional Mist (soda).
The Sage Posted - 14 May 2004 : 12:48:12
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I usually prefer Cormyrian Rice Wine (Edain knows what I am talking about ), or failing that, a nice cabernet red.

I don't consider wine "alcohol" in the common sense of the term, so that is permitted...usually .

As for my decision being "strangely harsh"...well, all I can say is that I've seen first-hand the impact a gross intake of alcohol can have on both a group of gamers, and their relationships...

If you recall earlier, when I spoke about coffee and coffee-flavored items, I said that I rarely allow it's presence. On occassion though, a player may request a hot cup of java, or some other blend, but I usually don't make it a habit to ask whether anyone wants a cup of coffee .
Bookwyrm Posted - 14 May 2004 : 09:46:53
Considering that I find that the mere smell of alcoholic beverages (or even those labled as non-alcoholic, such as non-alcoholic beer and cooking wine) will turn my stomach, I have to agree with you on that. Though I do have to say that it's strangely harsh. After all, even I understand that a good tomato sauce or bouillabaisse requires real red wine. (Note: never use "cooking" wine unless you simply have to aviod alcohol -- it doesn't ever come out as good.)

I think the rampant beer-flowing is the one thing I actually hate about the Maryland Renaissance Festival. (Well, that, and the fact that everyone seems to consider turkey legs as authentic Renaissance-era food. ) I remember getting rather upset at a woman who tripped and spilled hers on my pants . . . had the smell on me for the rest of that hot, lots-of-baking-sunshine afternoon . . . .

By the way. I thought you said that coffee and coffe-flavored items never made it to your table. What, pray tell, is it doing on that list . . . ?
The Sage Posted - 14 May 2004 : 06:52:40
I don't allow alcohol (in my games or my house)...period!... Since I don't drink alcohol myself (and refuse to associate with those who have had even a drop of it), I restrict the overall selection of beverages to soft drink, tea, coffee, and water. It works well actually since most of my players don't drink anyway, but sometimes they bring their less-than-respectful-"friends" and I've had the unpleasant duty of asking them to leave simply because they have arrived "already drunk"...

It's really a disturbing trend, and one that seems to be growing almost daily everywhere...
NightElf Posted - 12 May 2004 : 16:36:03
I have to say, no gaming session is the same for me without a rather overlarge bowl of peanuts. I find the salted ones keep you awake and active and there are limitless things you can have with them. Salted peanuts make you thirsty though!

Have only ever let my players drink anything even remotely alcoholic once [not myself, I dont drink alcohol] and that was a tragedy. Over the first hour the players were making stupid suggestions and we were forced to close the game after two.

Simple Rule: Alcohol and D&D dont mix!
RogueAssassin Posted - 01 May 2004 : 00:55:39
Sage, i live in South Carolina. The soil here is very fertile and you litterally do not have to pay for much of anything other than seeds and water. Every Season we have to rotate the places where the plants grow(excluding of coarse the fig tree the several peach trees the blackberry and muskydine bushes, because they only have a flowering season, but it takes years to get them to grow to where they will flower). This is because each of the plants uses differant neutreints(sp?) from the soil. so having fertile enough soil is never a problem, thus we have no need for fertilizers or anything much like that... We grow all of these differant fruits and vegetables in about 2 1/2 acres of land so it is very efficiant.
Our family has been doing this for generations and we could very easily live off of our gardens. We sell our fruits and vegies to the community every summer. Most people in our community know us for our Vegies.Its acctually quite fufilling to work in the garden... Picking rocks out of the garden does suck though...
-The Rogue
Darth KTrava Posted - 01 May 2004 : 00:35:07
Amateur!!

When my grandmother was still living and MUCH younger, we had a big garden with potatoes, garden peas, green beans, okra, corn, turnips, radishes, asparagus, tomatoes, strawberries, blackeye peas, lima beans. And peach trees, pear tree, persimmon trees, apple trees, blackberry brambles.

Man, how I hated removing rocks from that garden! But we used them to build forts for our GI Joe action figures!
The Sage Posted - 30 Apr 2004 : 07:05:31
I'm amazed Rogue . I don't think I know anyone with as much fruits and vegetables in their gardens as you so obviously do. I have only a limited knowledge of horticulture (anything outside of the upkeep of my solitary lemon tree is beyond my knowledge) so I can only imagine the costs involved in maintaining such a garden. I mean the cost of fertilizers and other plant admixtures must be rather expensive...?
RogueAssassin Posted - 30 Apr 2004 : 02:28:27
Wuss
I love onions. I have my own garden in my backyard. Onions radishes corn blackberries muskydines tomatoes potatoes a fig tree bunch of peach trees squash ocra all kinds of peppers and beans. Its a hell of a lot better off that Mcdonalds.

-The Rogue
Darth KTrava Posted - 30 Apr 2004 : 01:38:02
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

quote:

Ah yes, onions... Those bulbous vegetables are among my favorites, cooked or uncooked it matters not .

Exactly...I don't understand how people can't stand them...

The smell for one.... But, for me, if they're not fully cooked, they "tear me up".

Bookwyrm Posted - 29 Apr 2004 : 21:38:42
Traitor.

Lady Kazandra Posted - 29 Apr 2004 : 13:30:16
Well, I enjoy a cup of coffee every now and then, but I have to drink it in another room because the Sage doesn't like the smell. It's okay really, because I don't like onions, so that kind of balances our little universe out...
The Sage Posted - 29 Apr 2004 : 06:16:43
Jolt Cola was my one saving grace through the early years of my study to become a programmer. It's strange, but after I finished my time at 'programmer's-school', I started to find the taste of both Jolt and coffee...very bitter, almostly sickly.

I haven't touched either since that day...
Arivia Posted - 29 Apr 2004 : 06:11:23
quote:

I've never been a lover of coffee, in fact anything with coffee-flavoring rarely if ever, makes it's presence known anywhere on my game table. I simply won't allow it .

We'd have problems, then...

So did this dislike of coffee lead to overuse or such of Jolt Cola?
The Sage Posted - 29 Apr 2004 : 05:33:33
I've never been a lover of coffee, in fact anything with coffee-flavoring rarely if ever, makes it's presence known anywhere on my game table. I simply won't allow it .
RogueAssassin Posted - 28 Apr 2004 : 21:34:43
I can make good coffee my Craft(Poison) Skill is very high...

-The Rogue
Bookwyrm Posted - 28 Apr 2004 : 16:59:56
Well, he's got a minimum of +5 on Craft (cooking) checks due to his Intelligence.
The Sage Posted - 28 Apr 2004 : 13:06:38
Does he have the appropriate Skill? .
Bookwyrm Posted - 28 Apr 2004 : 11:51:28
And now, at the All-Faerun Pizza Baking Competition . . . .

Hmm, I wonder if Jack Archer will have time to introduce pizza making?
The Sage Posted - 28 Apr 2004 : 11:44:22
No no Bookwyrm, you can't just leave it at that.

You have to tell us how you make your pizzas.... In fact, maybe we should all do that, in the interest of trying to determine the best "role-playing pizza" - Alaundo can moderate...
Bookwyrm Posted - 28 Apr 2004 : 11:34:24
Well, I could always tell you all how I make my pizzas. That would tell you just what I like.

And it doesn't include onions. Nothing against them -- they're good on other things. I just don't like my pizza adulterated by toppings.
The Sage Posted - 28 Apr 2004 : 08:35:20
Low constitution would be my thought on that .
Arivia Posted - 28 Apr 2004 : 08:31:01
quote:

Ah yes, onions... Those bulbous vegetables are among my favorites, cooked or uncooked it matters not .

Exactly...I don't understand how people can't stand them...

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000