Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Characters from other books/games/films etc

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Zireael Posted - 11 May 2010 : 09:34:03
What do you think about bringing your favourite characters from other books/films/games into FR? Do you have any that you would like to see, that you have an idea about?
Zireael
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Thrasymachus Posted - 21 Dec 2012 : 05:58:44
I have stolen from Warhammer and Warhammer 40K without batting an eye. Mostly to fill in all after the Spellplague. I kind of bent a few things on the Warhammer side to get this done, but it's working.
Even before the Spellplague I had adopted that FR orcs were more like Warhammer Orc's, and brought in Josef Bugman (Warhammer Drarven Brewer)to be helpful to the pc's.
The Sage Posted - 19 Dec 2012 : 01:36:11
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I've also given a moment or two's thought to how to make a Realms version of Ghost Rider (the Dan Ketch GR, since that's the one I read), but that's not much than random pondering. I have no use for such a NPC, I've just wondered how I'd pull it off.
I've taken a different track with this, by introducing a Zarathos-styled NPC villain based around an ancient Demon Lord [possibly a baernaloth], who is seeking a mortal host form to invest with some of his power in an attempt to influence important events throughout the Demonlands. [In this respect, I'm somewhat following the John Blaze/Ghost Rider-era.]
Wooly Rupert Posted - 18 Dec 2012 : 17:55:15
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

I've also borrowed Lord Soth a time or three for my HB world, as well as created my own version of Dracula from the Blade: Trinity movie- complete with the daywalking powers. He scared the bejeebies out of my players the first time they met him. Then again, so does my uber-colossal red wyrm Helstrom (a lot like Smaug from the Hobbit- only bigger...)

Stumbled across this thread, while searching for another one...

I've been pondering my own Lord Soth-type, of late. Part of that pondering has been what to call it, other than a death knight -- I was a bit surprised when Ed told me that's what they're called in the Realms, though there are local nicknames and variants.

I've also been pondering someone similar to the Iron Kingdoms' Victor Pendrake, who is himself something of an Indiana Jones knock-off. I'm torn between making him a gnome, a dwarf, or a half-dragon.

I've also given a moment or two's thought to how to make a Realms version of Ghost Rider (the Dan Ketch GR, since that's the one I read), but that's not much than random pondering. I have no use for such a NPC, I've just wondered how I'd pull it off.
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 29 Nov 2010 : 09:52:04
Arik, if it makes you feel any better, i have my own "Dread Pirate Roberts"....

I've also borrowed Lord Soth a time or three for my HB world, as well as created my own version of Dracula from the Blade: Trinity movie- complete with the daywalking powers. He scared the bejeebies out of my players the first time they met him. Then again, so does my uber-colossal red wyrm Helstrom (a lot like Smaug from the Hobbit- only bigger...)
Ralderick Hallowshaw Posted - 28 Nov 2010 : 15:34:24
A player of mine, a fan of comics, has played a couple of super-heroes, fitting them to FR setting.

"Red" is an half-fiend demon hunter who looks and acts like Hellboy, using a huge hand-crossbow instead of the classic big gun.

"Shinoras" (an adaptation of a core npc cited in Silver Marches, p. 8) is instead the FR transposition of Wolverine: given up for dead by his tribe, he was found and his body magically altered by the archmage Tulrun (acting like Col. Stryker), giving him all the canonical powers (regeneration, adamantine body, retractable claws...) and erasing his memory.
Ayrik Posted - 28 Nov 2010 : 12:41:23
I've stolen characters shamelessly and liberally from countless movies, books, and games.

• Muerte ("My name is Death!") is a recurring incompetent little baddy who provides comic relief. Actually a bit of a promotion from his original BBEG status (back in the noob-level days), but my PCs find tormenting him far too amusing to kill him off. The poor guy has hardly any teeth left.

• Gilligan the Turquoise Blade is a flamboyantly bumbling Buccaneer/Swashbuckler PC who, again, started off as a quick NPC and turned into a surprising keeper. His luggage is carried by his very large autistic peasant, Ragu, who is paid only with "adventure and all the potatoes he can eat."

• Little mastermind Vizzini (and his two henchmen: revenge-happy swordsman Inigo Montoya and grappling master Fezzik the Giant) were easy imports. Though Inigo ran off to join some pirate crew while the others were slain by the PCs when Vizzini's Zhentish plot was foiled.

• Bravely Bold Sir Robin the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Dhelt (and his talented minstrel) led the PCs through several knights of adventure near Elturel.

• One of my PCs (a bounty hunter) is currently busy tracking a deadly criminal named Avery Cates who just won't stay dead.

• This PC's former quarry was a feared assassin known as Nightfall. The PC was stuck with this nearly impossible assignment after telling some unwise dwarf jokes to his decidedly humourless employer.

• At the urgent insistence of several of my players, their characters were joined by another group of players with characters named Yuna, Rikku, and Paine. Young girls, of course.

• Much skill was needed to prevail against this exceptional adversary.

• And of course there was always the rather terrible battle against Maligor's minion, Merciless Ming of Thay. The only thing keeping that one from going TPK (hey, two PCs lived, four didn't ...) was a little extra motivation for rescuing a Rashemi slave girl.

• Some of my arrogantly aloof gold elves haven't been a big hit, unfortunately. My tiefling and cambion fared better.

• This evil necromantrix and her two (not so bright) ghoulish henchmen require little introduction.

• I've based some NPCs on these characters. Lord Picard (the Paladin), Shania (the Sorceress), and Baracus (the Barbarian) have been alphabetically convenient, easy to play in character and "remember", and hugely popular with my players.

• Um, so many other sources. I just can't list 'em all.
    Zireael Posted - 28 Nov 2010 : 11:12:39
    Any more ideas? The thread is excellent!
    Alystra Illianniis Posted - 28 Sep 2010 : 05:44:55
    Ha! That would work too. So I guess an awakened duck martial artist(monk) wouldn't be entirely out of the realm of possibility, then? I'd name him Howard, of course....
    The Sage Posted - 28 Sep 2010 : 05:07:38
    quote:

Ha! I have plans for one of those, too!! Those shield feats are just begging for a character like that. The most amusing one I've had so far was a sea elf Ranger named Namor

I've a Namor-type in my DRAGONLANCE campaigns... though I made him a Dargonesti/human hybrid with ties to the throne of the Speaker of the Moon.
    Alystra Illianniis Posted - 28 Sep 2010 : 04:49:03
    Ha! I have plans for one of those, too!! Those shield feats are just begging for a character like that. The most amusing one I've had so far was a sea elf Ranger named Namor
    Xysma Posted - 27 Sep 2010 : 21:55:54
    quote:
    I tried to get a campaign going to create superheroes in D&D, but so far the only player who ever bit was my hubby. As Deadpool, no less....

Sounds fun... I'd play it. I also wanted to make a Captain America type character using all the shield feats, haven't gotten around to that yet though.
    Alystra Illianniis Posted - 24 Sep 2010 : 22:50:55
    Xysma, I've done the same thing using a half-demon drow wizard/gatecrasher(Kurt) and I have an idea for a half-troll dwarf ranger/barbarian who also regens and uses claws. (see earlier posts on subject) I tried to get a campaign going to create superheroes in D&D, but so far the only player who ever bit was my hubby. As Deadpool, no less....
    Xysma Posted - 24 Sep 2010 : 20:20:36
    I made a character based on Nightcrawler, he was a tiefling who could cast dimension door at will. I've tinkered with a few other ideas like that, I made a character with regeneration who wore bladed gauntlets, and I created a race based on the Hawkmen from Flash Gordon. As DM, I've brought in giffs and trandoshans. I've threatened to bring in ewoks, but never got around to it.
    Diffan Posted - 23 Sep 2010 : 18:46:38
    I've always sorta wanted to play a Batman character. And a great piece of equipment for this character would be the Rod of Ropes. Any ideas on class levels and what not (speaking from a 3.5/Pathfinder rule-set) for this character? I thought monk/rogue would work well, with increaed unarmed strikes, tons of skills, and possibly the use of some non-lethal poisons.....
    Zireael Posted - 23 Sep 2010 : 18:10:18
    Any more ideas? Keep it going, folks!
    Ionik Knight Posted - 06 Sep 2010 : 03:05:03
    In a FR campaign I usually only bring in the pc's from my first AD&D party. I have brought in Druss the Axe and Vlad Taltos before. More typical for me is to bring in items from outside Balmung, Caledvwlch, Golden Harp of the Light, Harp of Imach Thyssel, Gonturan, a harp and sword with three stars on them, the Sword of Sagamore, Iceflame, Blackwand, Spellbreaker, Pathfinder, Snaga the Sender, the Shadow Sword, Ice Tongue, Helm-biter, Axe of Volt, Shara and many more have made appearances in my games...usually without anyone noticing.
    I save my real craziness for my GURPS Supers campaigns though. I've had cameos by everyone from Smaug to Tinkerbell all in completely unstatted, unplanned fly by the seat of my pants fashion. Everyone seems to enjoy the craziness though.
    IngoDjan Posted - 01 Sep 2010 : 01:13:42
    I do if my player didn't know them. Otherwise I think miss the focus.
    Alystra Illianniis Posted - 31 Aug 2010 : 18:02:06
    You, know, I've actually been toying with using an anime character, too. Ed Elric from FMA. Of course his brother would have to come along, too. (An intelligent golem, obviously...) Someone mentioned using characters from Final Fantasy- Cloud would be a perfect shoe-in as a fighter/weaponmaster! Or Tifa as a monk/street brawler type. Hmmm, most any of them would be fun to use. Yuma from FFX/FFX-2 would make a great bard!
    Sill Alias Posted - 31 Aug 2010 : 12:44:52
    My one of ideas for build is to create a character based on anime Hokuto no Ken (Fist of The North Star).Still, I wonder how to balance the abilities to match the style of the original characters (just Hokuto shinken is crazy, if you seen at least the first series). Gonna see all the guides to find a suitable PrC to enhance them in the ways I want them to be.
    Alystra Illianniis Posted - 30 Jun 2010 : 18:52:58
    Hahaha! Wonderful! My only question is- which crew was it? Kirk, or Picard? I could totally see Picard getting into a philosophical discussion with Khelban or Elmisnter. (And with Khelban it would be even funnier, since Patrick Stewart did his voice in the Demon Stone game.)

Edit for stupid run-time message...
    Basil the Geek Posted - 30 Jun 2010 : 18:18:24
    A few friends of mine up over the arctic circle a long while back once requested I run a spacemen and sorcery campaign using the realms as the backdrop so I put them all up against a certain well known Federation starship that had ran afoul of a “Redjac” sort of being who high jacked the ship to the Realms where he escaped.

The ship then fell into a sort of “Who Mourns for Adonais” big gripping hand, stuck and malfunctioning star ship issue where demands were made of them to stop the amok being and to especially adhere to their “prime directive” limiting cultural contamination.

The first adventure for the players was to help strange and very foreign new slaves escape their Thayan masters in a sort of “Plato’s Step Children” plot. It actually turned out to be a really fun campaign.
    Alystra Illianniis Posted - 30 Jun 2010 : 17:39:31
    quote:
    Originally posted by The Sage

And he's "the best at what he does," right?

Yup. I've got a slew of these, actually. A female half-drow weather mage/stormlord, a drow half-fiend shadowmage/gatecrasher(he specializes in portal and travel magic, of course), and a female doppelganger assassin/rogue, among others....
    Sill Alias Posted - 26 Jun 2010 : 19:08:56
    So the 'being of light' was seen by unknown adventurers on its job.
    Markustay Posted - 26 Jun 2010 : 05:09:56
    I was 16, I was running Tunnels & Trolls, and it was a very... fun.... game. I can't even call it a campaign - the players just appeared outside of whatever complex I drew-up during the week and went at it.

I also had wandering 'Codgers', who just waved their canes and yelled at people, stuff like "get off my lawn!"

I was into Xanth novels back then (terribly silly fantasy), and ran Greyhawk (if you can call it that), which was one of the silliest worlds, at least certain parts (like the Coca-Cola Golems, amongst other things). Anything for a laugh, really... I thrived on puns and bad jokes.

When the characters went to the end of town that I hadn't bothered to finish on my map, I explained to them that they came to a blank area, in which they spotted a strange little man (I described myself) literally 'drawing-in' the buildings and other terrain.

They exclaimed "It's God!"

Good for my ego... and thus the deity known only as 'The man' was born.

Not very 'professional' by today's gaming standards, but it was 1979 and we were still recovering from something called 'Disco'.
    Wooly Rupert Posted - 26 Jun 2010 : 00:30:36
    quote:
    Originally posted by Markustay

I also had the 80's band Devo as a wandering monster in one of my dungeons. Scary, huh?

How did you pull off having a band as a wandering monster?
    Markustay Posted - 25 Jun 2010 : 20:27:27
    In a WotC thread we fleshed-out that guy that was on the cover of the old grey Box - we called him Dûd Onahorz - and he was based on the Lone ranger. He even carried a hand crossbow with Silver Quarrels, and had Sharran sidekick/girlfriend named Squanto.

Despite the rather obvious tongue-in-cheek nature of the character, he was actually rather bitter and unsociable - his adventuring group were all killed by undead, which made him go from Ranger (naturally) to Undead Hunter. He wanders the Realms, seeking out pockets of undead and destroying them (and helping innocent townsfolk in the process).

I even updated him for 4e - Squanto was killed by the Spellplague, but he was changed and now has Regeneration (which is why he is still alive in 4e).

I also had the 80's band Devo as a wandering monster in one of my dungeons. Scary, huh?
    The Sage Posted - 25 Jun 2010 : 19:14:38
    And he's "the best at what he does," right?
    Alystra Illianniis Posted - 25 Jun 2010 : 17:04:07
    Ah, so great minds DO think alike, LOL!! I had wanted to have all four of them, but never got around to creating the other three. I do, however have plans for a hairy half-troll dwarf ranger/barbarian who uses claw bracers.... He calls everyone "Bub,", smokes, drinks heavily, and charges headfirst into most fights, often going berserk at the drop of a hat. And he has memory gaps.....
    The Sage Posted - 25 Jun 2010 : 01:07:13
    quote:

Hmm, how about my blonde fire genesi pyromancer, who flies and is a total chick-magnet?! His favorite phrase? "Flame on!" Yeah, bet ya saw that one coming.... His name was Ian Rain, of course.

I should note that I had an Earth Genasi roaming the streets of Waterdeep, fighting crime. He was, rather unimaginatively, named "The Rock" [this was long before any *actor* of the same name rose to stardom upon the silver screen]. He was rather ubiquitous... but usually steered clear of Yancy Street, which was just a little ways down from Blackstaff Tower [which he often referred to as the Baxter Building, and to a certain archmage, as Reed]. His special attack was "the Haymaker."
    Alystra Illianniis Posted - 24 Jun 2010 : 21:21:21
    Hmm, how about my blonde fire genesi pyromancer, who flies and is a total chick-magnet?! His favorite phrase? "Flame on!" Yeah, bet ya saw that one coming.... His name was Ian Rain, of course.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
    Snitz Forums 2000