Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Aspects

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Bird844 Posted - 11 Feb 2010 : 01:41:21
Alright, I've got a stupid question.

What in the name of Mystra is an Aspect of a god?

I mean, I heard that Sahanine was an aspect of Selune. Is it just another name for the Diety? Another personality? An extension of their will? A villian wearing Superman's costume? What?
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Jorkens Posted - 20 Mar 2010 : 15:23:26
quote:
Originally posted by Razz

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

And a little from Brian James:-
quote:
Deities (and Primordials) may choose, if they wish to divest a portion of their divine essence into ‘aspects’. These aspects may claim dominions and portfolios beyond those governed by their parent divinity. Aerdrie Faeyna was an aspect of Akadi which infiltrated and lived among the elven pantheon for millennia. When Aerdrie was slain by Auril, Akadi simply lost the divine essence invested into this particular aspect (ie. Akadi was weakened but not destroyed).

This will be explained in a lot more detail in future D&DI articles.

It's worth noting that most deities recalled all their aspects during the Spellplague to consolidate their power and today exist as singular beings.

Ugh, that sounds so contrived and forced just to make it work for 4E, and completely destroys whatever lore was established earlier. I really wonder why they didn't just destroy Toril and had everything move to Abeir and start all over? That'd have been a much better route. Or just stop printing "Toril" stuff and move 4E to "Abeir" in order to hit the reset button without annihilating what Toril has established?

It doesn't sound any more contrived than much of the other divine lore published earlier in my opinion. Then again, I think all lore concerning divine beings should be considered legends and theories. When you tie concrete rules to divine beings it takes all the mystery out of it. What is could be worse than a player babbling away about the God having the wrong status to be able to do something?
Razz Posted - 20 Mar 2010 : 15:15:37
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Deities (and Primordials) may choose, if they wish to divest a portion of their divine essence into ‘aspects’. These aspects may claim dominions and portfolios beyond those governed by their parent divinity. Aerdrie Faeyna was an aspect of Akadi which infiltrated and lived among the elven pantheon for millennia. When Aerdrie was slain by Auril, Akadi simply lost the divine essence invested into this particular aspect (ie. Akadi was weakened but not destroyed).

It's worth noting that most deities recalled all their aspects during the Spellplague to consolidate their power and today exist as singular beings.

Ugh, that sounds so contrived and forced just to make it work for 4E, and completely destroys whatever lore was established earlier. I really wonder why they didn't just destroy Toril and had everything move to Abeir and start all over? That'd have been a much better route. Or just stop printing "Toril" stuff and move 4E to "Abeir" in order to hit the reset button without annihilating what Toril has established?
Alisttair Posted - 17 Feb 2010 : 14:41:39
Realmslore is as much or as little of published info mixed in with your own homebrewed ingredients as you want :)
Faraer Posted - 11 Feb 2010 : 18:44:50
Gods are big, transcendent things -- more of them exists than any one mortal or priesthood can know or perceive. The sum of any one set of names, myths, iconography, ritual practice and doctrine can be seen as a mask of the underlying divinity, and in this sense you can see how different cultures and even different temples already worship slightly different aspects of the god.

But Sehanine being an aspect of Selűne is not what I'd call Realmslore -- it's a change you shouldn't bother pondering or including in your campaign unless you share the Realms-2008 designers' goal of reducing the number of (underlying) gods.
The Sage Posted - 11 Feb 2010 : 03:11:54
quote:

Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 11 Feb 2010 : 02:16:37
According to the changes after the Spellplague, it was revealed that many of the gods (such as Sehanine) were merely other gods "disguising" themselves as the original gods to "spread their word" and gain more followers.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000